Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Item # 158XAV712H | MFR # XAV-712HD
Price Break: -$250.00
$399.99 Earn up to 400 Rewards points
Offers & Financing
Our take on the Sony XAV-712HD by Crutchfield's Ken Nail
Bluetooth® for hands-free calling and audio streaming
Built-in Bluetooth sets up a wireless link between the receiver and your mobile device — and if you ask me, that's a necessity for your car stereo. You'll enjoy the convenience of hands-free calling, and you'll have touchscreen access to your phone book once your phone is paired. You can stream music stored on your phone using the receiver's audio streaming capabilities, too. And if you're a Pandora® fan with an Android™ device, you can pair your phone to the XAV-712HD for complete Pandora® control without ever connecting a wire.
Lots of ways to enjoy your music and video
You'll also enjoy the features you'd expect with a DVD receiver. The screen displays the striking menu graphics crisply, and you'll be impressed by the thought that Sony's put into the touchscreen controls. You can plug your iPhone® into the front USB input for direct control and playback of your music, access audio and video streams from many online sources, or even display navigation app maps on the screen — the XAV-712HD has an HDMI input for compatible phones to make connections easier, though you may need extra cables for some phones — check "Details" for more info.
Slide a DVD into the front slot to enjoy movies or videos when you're parked, or insert a CD or DVD loaded with MP3, WMA, or AAC music files for hours of audio entertainment. For long road trips, dual-zone output allows you to send video to a rear seat monitor, while you listen to something else up front.
Bluetooth® for hands-free calling and audio streaming
Built-in Bluetooth sets up a wireless link between the receiver and your mobile device. You'll enjoy the convenience of hands-free calling, and you'll have touchscreen access to your phone book once your phone is paired. You can stream music stored on your phone using the receiver's audio streaming capabilities, too. And if you're a Pandora® fan with an Android™ device, you can pair your phone to the XAV-712HD for complete Pandora® control without ever connecting a wire.
HD Radio™ brings out the best in radio
The receiver's built-in HD Radio tuner lets you enjoy the advantages of HD Radio broadcasts, with near CD-quality FM reception and extra programming channels from participating stations. You can also tag songs that you like for later purchase at the iTunes store.
Match the sound to your car
Sony's Dynamic Reality Amp provides plenty of punch to power your tunes, and features advanced circuitry to make your discs and digital music sound their best. The EQ7 7-band equalizer lets you optimize the output to the acoustics in your vehicle, and you can use the built-in digital signal processing to enhance the sound of compressed music files.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most cars, you'll need an adapter to retain those controls with this car stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and radio, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. You'll see the adapters that work with your vehicle when you add this receiver to your cart.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
Sony got it right with this unit, I absolutely love it, Bluetooth is flawless, endless options, great screen, accurate touchscreen etc
Chris, Glen Burnie, MD
What's in the Box:
- Double-din DVD receiver w/ integrated 7" touchscreen monitor (10A fuse)
- Sleeve (installed)
- Custom trim ring
- Wiring harness
- Preamp output harness
- 6.5' HDMI cable
- 6.5" MHL connection cable
- Remote control (RM-X271)
- CR2025 3V battery (installed in remote)
- Microphone w/ visor clip (attached 12' cord terminated by a right-angle male 3.5mm connector)
- Two-sided tape
- 6 ISO mounting screws
- 2 Radio removal tools
- Velcro strap
- Operating Instructions (En/Fr/Sp)
- Installation/Connections booklet (En/Fr/Sp)
- US Limited Warranty sheet
- Canada Consumer 1 Year Warranty
- DVD receiver with AM/FM tuner
- built-in amplifier (17 watts RMS CEA-2006/52 peak x 4 channels)
- 7" touchscreen display
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- built-in HD Radio tuner
- Passenger App Control with iPod and iPhone
- Pandora control with iPhone and Android
- Dynamic Color Illuminator (adjusts button illumination to match your vehicle's dash)
- fits double-DIN (4" tall) dash openings
- remote control
- plays CDs, DVDs, and USB memory devices (see Details tab for full capabilities)
- Sony SensMe Music App organizes your music by mood (external Windows-based computer required for setup)
- EQ7 7-band equalizer
- Advanced Sound Engine (ASE) features Intelligent Time Alignment (ITA), plus Center Speaker Optimizer (CSO) for a virtual center channel
- dual-zone output
- high- and low-pass filters
- iPod/iPhone control
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- inputs: dual rear USB inputs, HDMI MHL input, two rear A/V inputs, rear-view camera input
- outputs: rear video, 5-channel preamp outputs (5-volt front, rear, mono sub)
Sony XAV-712HD Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|AUX Input||RCA (rear) x 2|
|Audio/video Input||HDMI (rear), RCA (rear) x 2|
|USB Input||Rear (2)|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM|
|RMS Power Output||17 watts|
|Peak Output||52 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Preamp Voltage||5 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
|FM Sensitivity||9 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
7" Motorized Touchscreen Display: The Sony XAV-712HD DVD receiver features a 7" widescreen (17:9) touchscreen LCD monitor. The WVGA LCD monitor has a high resolution of 800 (H) x 480 (V) x RGB; with 1,152,000 total pixels. The LCD monitor provides touchscreen controls with interactive video graphics, making menu navigation easy. You can adjust the display angle (up to 30°) of the touchscreen monitor for better viewing.
- Gesture Commands (with Touch Effect): You can perform frequently-used operations by making command strokes across the XAV-712HD's touchscreen display. Draw a horizontal line left-to-right to skip/seek forward or draw a horizontal line right-to-left to skip/seek backward. You can also draw a vertical line upwards to fast-forward a video or skip forward in a folder; as well as draw a vertical line downwards to reverse a video or skip backward in a folder. When the Touch Effect feature is activated the touchscreen will display a light trail where you have touched the display.
- Background Themes: You can select between various background themes for the head unit's touchscreen monitor. Choose from Animal, Balloon, Gate, Glow, Graffiti, Ink, Random, or Off.
- Icon Adjustment: You can choose for the unit's Home screen menu icons to be displayed based on how often they are used or by system default. These same icons can be displayed in a 2D or 3D mode.
Note: For your convenience, this unit is equipped with a multiple language display. You can select the language which is best suited to your first language; English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Dutch, Italian, Russian, Chinese, Korean, or Tai..
Front-Panel Controls w/ Dynamic Color Illuminator: In addition to the head unit's touchscreen controls, the XAV-712HD also offers a rotary knob and hard-key buttons along the left side of the screen. Dynamic Color Illuminator lets you match the head unit's button illumination to complement your existing vehicle lighting components (35,000+ color choices). With selectable Sound Synchronization, the timing of the color change is synchronized with the audio source. You can select from 12 preset colors (red/amber/m-amber/yellow/white/light green/green/light blue/sky blue/blue/purple/pink), customized color, & 5 preset patterns (rainbow/ocean/sunset/forest/random).
Picture Settings: You can select a picture quality mode suitable for the interior brightness of your vehicle. You can choose from Dynamic, Standard, Theater, Sepia, or Custom (1/2). The Custom (1/2) Picture EQ modes allow you to make your own picture quality settings by adjusting the picture tones manually. You can adjust the Brightness, Color, and Color Tone (warm/normal/cool). You can also change the screen's aspect ratio of the DVD receiver's LCD monitor to suit your video content. You can choose from Normal, Wide, Full, or Zoom.
Clock & Date: The head unit provides clock and date (YR/display. The clock will be visible during Tuner, Disc, USB, and iPod playback; as well as from the main menu screen and sub menus.
Parking Brake Detection: To prevent the displaying of video while the vehicle is in motion, the light green wire in the supplied 16-pin harness must be connected to the vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. While the vehicle is in motion (parking brake off), you can still view source information, song/artist information, as well as the main menu and sub menus.
Caution Alarm + Auto Off: When you turn the ignition switch to the Off position, a caution alarm will sound, and the front panel closes automatically. The alarm will only sound if the built-in amplifier is used. When installing in a vehicle without an accessory power wire at the radio location, you can set the unit to turn off all lighting a set amount of time after you turn the power off. The Auto Off feature can be set to 30 seconds, 30 minutes, 60 minutes, or No.
Bluetooth Technology: The Sony XAV-712HD is equipped with built-in Bluetooth (version 2.1+EDR), allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.5 (Hands Free Profile), PBAB 1.0 (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.2 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.3 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Sony XAV-712HD. Please visit Sony eSupport for a complete list of compatible Bluetooth enabled phones.
SPP (Secure Simple Pairing): With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the Sony XAV-712HD without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings. Up to 9 phones or audio devices can be paired with the XAV-712HD, however, only one device can be used at a time. When a paired Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the receiver, the auto connection function automatically connects the two units.
SPP (Secure Simple Pairing): With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the Sony XAV-712HD without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings. Up to 9 phones or audio devices can be paired with the XAV-712HD, however, only one device can be used at a time. When a paired Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the receiver, the auto connection function automatically connects the two units.
Hands-Free Communication (w/ External Mic): The Sony XAV-712HD supports Bluetooth hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled cell-phone. Bluetooth hands-free communication helps to minimize distraction while driving by allowing you to control your mobile phone from the head unit, so you don't have to touch your mobile phone. The controls of the XAV-712HD can be used to dial a number, answer an in-coming call, or end a call. The unit also features an external microphone (featuring adjustable gain), so you can carry on your side of the conversation while listening to the caller through your vehicles speakers. During a conversation, you can switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your cell phone) and the Hands Free Mode.
- Answering Calls: Incoming calls can be answered manually or automatically (between 3-10 seconds) through the Sony head unit, while the ring tone is output from your car speakers and the caller's name or phone number is displayed on the head unit's LCD. Incoming calls can also be rejected if desired.
- Dialing a Number: Using the XAV-712HD, you can dial a phone number in a variety of ways. You can manually dial phone number using the unit's touchscreen or make call using the voice tags stored in your mobile phone. You'll also be able to access your phonebook (up to 1,000 contacts/3 numbers each, as well as store 6 of your favorite contacts for speed dialing. In addition, the unit stores the last 20 calls, allowing you to select the last dialed/received/missed phone numbers. You can even use its redial function to quickly dial the last number called.
Note: The external microphone features an attached 12' cable terminated by a right-angle 3.5mm connector which plugs into the mic input on the rear-panel of the head unit. The microphone comes with a mounting bracket which can be clipped to your vehicle's sun-visor or taped to your dash. The external microphone measures 0.465" (diameter) x 1.425" (depth).
Wireless Audio Streaming (with Meta Data Display): The Sony XAV-712HD also supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth enabled audio player or smartphone. You can stream stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth-enabled device to the XAV-712HD. You'll be able to control basic playback functions; such as Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, Fast-Forward/Reverse, and Shuffle/Repeat. The head unit will also display your music's song/artist information; such as Artist name, Song title, and Album title. You will continue to use your Bluetooth-enabled device to control advanced music playback functions. When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
Siri Eyes Free Control: When paired and connected to an iPhone with Siri via Bluetooth (not USB), the Sony XAV-712HD has the ability to access Siri through its front-panel controls and external microphone. Simply press-and-hold down on the head unit's "Home/Voice" button to engage Siri and use the included microphone to communicate with Siri. Siri's voice will heard through your vehicle's speakers. All Siri functions including hands-free calling, music search, setting reminders, text-messaging, audible navigation, and more can be done through the XAV-712HD and its microphone. You can even ask Siri to get directions to a destination and the turn-by-turn instructions will heard through your vehicle's speakers, while the on-screen map still displays on your iPhone with Siri. The head unit's audio is attenuated while Siri provides audible directions.
Note: The head unit's display will only indicate hands-free calling and Bluetooth audio information (all other functions of Siri are only audible through the Sony XAV-712HD; visual data will still need to be viewed from your iPhone device).
HDMI Input (MHL Compatible): The head unit is also equipped with a rear-panel HDMI port which can be used to connect select MHL compatible Android devices or select Apple iOS device for audio/video playback.
- MHL Compatible Android: The rear-panel HDMI port is MHL compatible; this means you can simply connect your MHL-compatible Android smartphone to the receiver with the included 6.5' HDMI/MHL cable without the need for a proprietary app. You can listen to stored music and music apps (like iHeartRadio), as well a view stored video and video apps (like Netflix). You cannot perform operation of the smartphone from the head unit's touchscreen; you will still need to use your smartphone for operation or you can use the included IR remote. The head unit's touchscreen will display the same screen which is displayed on your smartphone, as well as video (parking brake must be engaged). The HDMI port also charges your compatible MHL device while connected. Check here for a list of compatible MHL Android phones.
- Apple iOS Device: To connect an Apple iOS device via HDMI, the Apple Lightning Digital AV adapter or 30-pin digital AV adapter is required (both sold separately). Use the Lightning digital AV adapter for a newer iPhone with a Lightning connector and the 30-pin digital AV adapter for the older iPhone 4/4S. A 6.5' HDMI cable is provided to connect between the Apple AV adapter and the head unit's HDMI input. You will also need to connect the 30-pin dock or Lightning-connector cable that came with your Apple device between the Apple AV adapter and the head unit's rear-panel USB port. The HDMI connection transfers audio/video from the Apple iOS device to the XAV-712HD, while the USB port charges the iPhone's battery. You will continue to use your compatible Apple iPhone device to view song/artist information and navigate your music. The unit only displays a mirror image of the iPhone's screen and video from stored videos or video apps (such as Netflix) when your vehicle's parking brake is fully engaged.
Note: The Samsung Galaxy S3/4/5 and Note II/II/III requires an additional 3rd party MHL microUSB 5-pin to 11-pin adapter (sold separately; not available at Crutchfield). Not all Android and Apple iOS devices are guaranteed to be compatible via HDMI/MHL.
USB 1-Wire iPod/iPhone Direct: The Sony XAV-712HD supports direct connection of your Lightning or 30-pin Apple device through its front- or rear-panel USB ports (use the cable that came with your Apple device or other "Made for iPod/iPhone" cable). The XAV-712HD offers audio playback, music navigation, information display, and charging of select Apple devices. The Sony XAV-712HD's USB connection allows your iPod/iPhone's music library to be loaded instantly to the Sony head unit and sound quality to be maximized through the head unit's 24-bit D/A converter (bypassing iPod/iPhone DAC), allowing for a Signal to Noise ratio up to 120dB.
- Playback Control: The XAV-712HD provides control over your connected iPod/iPhone device with the ability to choose from various playback & search modes to suit your application. The Quick-BrowZer feature allows you to browse your iPod/iPhone's music library by Album, Track, Genre, Playlist, Artist, or Music Podcast. You can then search within a specific Quick-BrowZer category alphabetically (A-Z). With the unit's Zappin feature, you can play music tracks & albums in 6, 15, or 30-second clips until you find the song you are looking for on your connected iPod/iPhone. The XAV-712HD also supports Repeat (Track/Album) & Shuffle (Album) playback modes. You can also choose to control your iPod/iPhone from its touchscreen or active Passenger App Control.
- Music Information + Album Art: When in Head Unit Control mode, the DVD receiver will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music file information; including Track number, Elapsed playing time, Song Title, Artist/Album Name, and Album Art. The XAV-712HD will also display song/artist information and station identification from select music apps. The Passenger App Control mode does not offer song/artist information display.
- 1A Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. This unit does not charge the iPad. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then this unit will not recognize it.
Note: Access to your iPhone's downloaded applications will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Sony XAV-712HD is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 2/9/2017):
Apple Device Generation Tested Version Media Type Control Type Display Type Bluetooth Charge Audio Video Head Unit Passenger App Pandora App App Remote Album Art Song/Artist Text Track Info Phone Audio Siri iPhone 2G 3.1.3 Y N Y Y N N Y Y Y Y N N Y 3G 4.2.1 Y N Y Y N N Y Y Y Y Y N Y 3GS 5.1.1 Y N Y Y N Y Y Y Y Y Y N Y 4 7.1.2 Y Y Y Y N Y Y Y Y Y Y N Y 4S 9.3.5 Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y SE 10.2.1 Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y 5/5C/5S 10.2.1 Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y 6/6+/6S/6S+ 10.2.1 Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y 7/7+ 10.2.1 Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y touch 1st 2.2.1 Y N Y Y N N Y Y Y N N N Y 2nd 4.2.1 Y N Y Y N N Y Y Y N Y N Y 3rd 5.1.1 Y N Y Y N N Y Y Y N Y N Y 4th 6.1.6 Y Y Y Y N N Y Y Y N Y N Y 5th 9.3.5 Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y N Y Y Y 6th 10.2.1 Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y N Y Y Y nano 2nd 1.1.3 Y N Y Y N N Y Y Y N N N Y 3rd 1.1.3 Y N Y Y N N Y Y Y N N N Y 4th 1.0.4 Y N Y Y N N Y Y Y N N N Y 5th 1.0.2 Y N Y Y N N Y Y Y N N N Y 6th 1.2 PC Y N Y Y N N Y Y Y N N N Y 7th 1.02 PC Y N Y Y N N Y Y Y N Y N Y classic 80GB 1.1.2 Y N Y Y N N Y Y Y N N N Y 120GB 2.0.1 Y N Y Y N N Y Y Y N N N Y 160GB 2.0.4 Y N Y Y N N Y Y Y N N N Y
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Built-in HD Radio Tuner: The integrated HD Radio tuner receives compatible AM and FM radio stations signals in digital format for improved sound quality while providing metadata information and iTunes Music Tagging so that you can find the songs you like later. HD Radio technology, where available, offers higher quality sound than conventional analog broadcasts and receives text data. HD Radio provides FM broadcasts that are equal to CD sound quality and AM broadcasts that are as good as analog FM stereo broadcasts. Right now there are about 2,000 radio stations broadcasting using digital HD Radio technology in the U.S. To find HD Radio stations in your area, visit the HD Radio website (www.hdradio.com).
- Station Text + Album Art: HD Radio provides a variety of data; including station name, song title, artist name, album name, etc. The XAV-712HD also supports Album Art from select HD Radio stations.
- Multicasting: In addition to conventional broadcasts, with HD Radio broadcasting it is possible to choose from up to 8 multicast programs (HD1 to HD8 and analog). There are also data programs for each program.
- Preset Tuning: The radio features 6 memory bands to store
and receive analog and digital AM/FM stations. You can store up to 6 presets
each in FM1, FM2, FM3, AM1 and AM2 (total: 18 FM/12 AM). Preset tuning can be
done manually or automatically.
- Best Tuning Memory (BTM): This feature selects stations with the best signals within the selected band and stores them in order of their frequency. You can select from FM1, FM2, FM3, AM1, and AM2.
- Manual Tuning: You can manually tune and find your favorite radio stations one by one for FM1, FM2, FM3, AM1, and AM2.
- iTunes Tagging: The iTunes Tag button on this unit allows you to tag songs (up to 50) you like that are broadcast by HD Radio stations. Information about these tagged songs is stored by the receiver and transferred to your connected iPod/iPhone. When you connect your iPod to your computer, iTunes automatically presents songs in a new "Tagged" playlist so you can preview, purchase, and download them.
Note: In addition to HD AM/FM stations, the XAV-712HD can also receive conventional analog AM/FM broadcasts.
Pandora Internet Radio: Pandora is the leading Internet Radio music service in the United States, giving people music they love anytime, anywhere, through personalized radio stations. The Sony XAV-712HD DVD receiver lets you playback and control the Pandora Internet Radio that is being streamed to your USB-connected Apple iPhone (iOS 9.0+) or Bluetooth-paired Android smartphone (A2DP/AVRCP/SPP profiles). You will need to download the latest Pandora App version onto your compatible smartphone device from Apple's App Store or Google Play. The Sony XAV-712HD will display song/artist/album information, as well as provide control over your Pandora music.
- Station List: You can select Pandora stations from your Station List by date or alphabetically (A-Z).
- New Station: Based on a currently playing track or artist, you can create a new station and save it to your Pandora account. Stations can also be deleted.
- Skip Songs: You can skip song tracks within a station. You cannot skip back to a previous song. Pandora limits the number of skips allowed.
- Thumbs Up/Down: You can give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down to help Pandora personalize stations to suit your preferences.
- Bookmarking: The song or artist currently being played can be bookmarked & stored in your Pandora account.
Note: Your iPhone or Android smartphone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, 4G (LTE), or WiFi. In addition, you will need an active Pandora Internet Radio music service account. Access to the Pandora service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or smartphone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
SiriusXM-Ready: The Sony XAV-712HD is SiriusXM-Ready and compatible with the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300 sold separately). The SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner supports SiriusXM programming with access to 175+ SiriusXM channels via subscription; check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here. Additional features of the SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
- Channel list displays a list of all available channels
- Category Search searches for channels in a certain category
- Displayed Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's LCD
- Up to 18 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets
- Channels containing unsuitable content for children can be blocked
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
Compatible Discs: The Sony multimedia head unit has a front loading disc slot behind the motorized touchscreen. The Sony XAV-712HD supports playback of DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-Audio, CD-R/RW, and VCD discs. The unit can play back a variety of video, photo, and audio files recorded on these discs.
Dual USB Ports: The DVD receiver is equipped with a two rear-panel USB (type-A) ports that can be used for plugging in (MSC) Mass Storage Class USB devices; such as select Android devices (Froyo/Gingerbread 2.2+ OS only), digital audio players, and thumbdrives. The rear-panel USB ports are attached to the rear-chassis via 58" cables. The head unit can play video, photo, and audio files stored on a compatible USB device. USB portable audio players that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the CD receiver's USB port (max. 1.0A/1.5A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Media File Playback: The Sony XAV-712HD supports a variety of audio, video, and photo files recorded onto disc or loaded onto a USB device.
|Media Type||Disc (CD-R/RW or DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW)||USB|
|File System||ISO 9660 level 1/level 2, Joliet/Romeo, UDF Bridge||FAT 12/16/32|
|Playable File Types||Audio||MP3:
bit rate of 48-192 kbps w/ sampling frequency of 32-48 kHz
WMA: bit-rate of 64-192 kbps w/ sampling frequency of 44.1 kHz
AAC: bit-rate of 40-320 kbps w/ sampling frequency of 44.1-48 kHz
WAV (USB only): bit-rate of 1,411 kbps w/ sampling frequency of 44.1 kHz
max resolution of 720 x 576 w/ frame rate of 30 fps
Xvid: max resolution of 720 x 576 w/ frame rate of 30 fps
WMV (USB only): max resolution of 1280 x 720 w/ frame rate of 30 fps
H.264/AVC (USB only): max resolution of 1280 x 720 w/ frame rate of 30 fps
|Photo||JPEG: max resolution of 6,048 x 4,032 (24,000,000 total resolution)|
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||256 folders/2,000 files||10,000 files|
|Tags||MP3 ID3-tags (ver. 1.x/2.x), WMA-tags, AAC-tags|
Playback & Search Functions: The XAV-712HD offers a variety of playback and search functions.
- List Function: You can bring up a list of albums, folders, tracks, video files on a disc or USB device and select the desired one to play.
- Quick-BrowZer: Allows you to search for a track on a connected USB device easily by category (Genre, Artist, Album, or Playlist)
- Jump Mode: Gets you closer to the song you want by allowing you to fast forward through a music category in 10% increments.
- Zappin: With the Zappin feature, you can play music (files or folders) in 6, 15, or 30-second clips until you find the song you are looking for on your MP3/WMA/AAC disc or USB device.
- Direct Search: You can directly locate a desired point on a disc by specifying the title number, chapter number, track, image, or file.
- Repeat: DVD (Title/Chapter), CD (All/Track), MP3/WMA/AAC (All/Track/Folder), Xvid/MPEG-4 (All/File/Folder)
- Shuffle: DVD (Title), CD (Disc), MP3/WMA/AAC (Folder), Xvid/MPEG-4 (Folder)
Note: The Sony XAV-712HD can store the playback resume settings in its memory for up to 5 DVD discs.
Off Insert/Eject + Auto Reload: A disc can be inserted or ejected with the power off. The head unit will automatically begin disc playback, when a disc is inserted with the receiver set to a different source or powered off. The DVD receiver will automatically reinsert the disc if it's ejected, but not removed for 20 seconds or more.
Content Transfer/SensMe Online Software: The Content Transfer/SensMe online software can organize your music into playlists that perfectly match your mood, scene, and location, making it easier to choose the music that fits the moment. SensMe actually looks at the beats-per-minute and automatically groups your music (stored on your windows-based computer) into channels, making listening and managing all of your content even simpler. Once you have downloaded & used the SensMe software to organize your PC's music, you can then transfer that music to your USB device (Not iPod/iPhone) for playback on the Sony head unit. Your Windows-based computer must meet the following system requirements.
|CPU||Intel Pentium III Processor 450 MHz or higher|
|OS||Windows 7 (SP1), Windows Vista (SP1 or later), Windows XP (SP2 or later)|
|RAM||256 MB or more (for Windows XP), 512 MB or more (for Windows Vista or later)|
|Monitor||High color (16-bit) or more, 800 x 600 dots or more|
Note: Download of the Content Transfer/SensMe online software to your windows-based computer is required to enable the SensMe function on this head unit. The software must be downloaded to your PC & then music content must be transferred to a USB (MSC) device. Not compatible with Mac or iPod/iPhone.
Dynamic Reality Amp w/ 24-Bit DAC: The Sony XAV-712HD DVD receiver features a newly developed sound processor for less distortion, an S-MOSFET IC for smooth signal transmission, and a large-sized capacitor for deep bass sound. In addition, the XAV-712HD is equipped with Sony's Dynamic Reality Amp to produce 3-dimensional sound staging for more realistic sound inside your vehicle and utilizes a 24-bit digital to analog converter for superior sound quality. The power output specs for the XAV-712HD are as follows:
- Continuous Power Output: 17 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Peak Power Output: 52 watts x 4-channels (208 total watts)
Note: The power specifications for the Sony XAV-712HD are compliant with the CEA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers.
5ch/5V Preamp Outputs + Sub Control: The XAV-712HD contains five 5-volt RCA preamp outputs; a front channel pair, rear channel pair, and mono-subwoofer channel. The front and rear channel preamp outputs can be faded. The unit's subwoofer preamp output is non-fading and features a low pass filter with a selectable cut-off frequency of 50Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, or 120Hz. In addition, you can select the phase of the subwoofer output from Normal or Reverse. You can adjust the subwoofer preamp output's volume level independently from the head unit's volume control from -6 to +6 in 1dB increments.
EQ7 & High-Pass Filter: You can select an equalizer curve from eight music types; Xplod, Vocal, Edge, Cruise, Space, Gravity, Custom, or Off (Flat). The Custom EQ7 mode allows you to make your own equalizer settings. You can adjust the level (+/-8dB) of seven different frequency bands; Band1 (63Hz), Band2 (160Hz), Band3 (400Hz), Band4 (1kHz), Band5 (2.5khz), Band6 (6.3khz), and Band7 (16.0kHz). The front and rear speaker outputs offer a selectable high-pass crossover frequency of 50Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, or Off.
ASE (Advanced Sound Engine): The Sony XAV-712HD offers multi-channel playback with its Advanced Sound Engine, featuring Intelligent Time Alignment (ITA), Center Speaker Optimizer (CSO), and Rear Bass Enhancer (RBE) to create a virtual 5.1 listening experience to rival the most advanced home theater equipment.
- ITA (Intelligent Time Alignment): This unit can change the localization of sound by delaying the sound output from each speaker and subwoofer to suit your position, giving you the feeling of being in the center of the soundfield wherever you sit in the car. The options for the Listening Positions are - Front Left, Front Right, Front Center, All, Custom, or Off. The Custom ITA mode allows you to precisely calibrate the output from each speaker so that the sound from all speakers reaches the listener at the same time. Simply measure the distance between your listening position and each speaker from 0 to 13.1' (in 0.8125" increments). You can also set the subwoofer distance of the subwoofer to Near, Normal, or Far.
- CSO (Center Speaker Organizer): A typical surround sound systems has 5 speakers (front left/right, rear left/right, center) and 1 subwoofer. CSO allows you to create a virtual center channel speaker even though a real center speaker is not connected.
- RBE (Rear Bass Enhancer): RBE enhances the bass sound by applying the low-pass filter setting to the rear speakers. This function allows the rear speakers to work as a subwoofer even if there is no subwoofer connected.
Level Adjustments: You can adjust the volume level of each connected speaker individually. You can also adjust the audio output level for a DVD recorded in Dolby Digital format, to reduce the volume level differences between disc and source. The Audio DRC features makes the sound clearer when the volume is set to low while watching a DVD movie. You can set the Audio DRC to Standard (normal) or Wide (live performance).
Beep Tone: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
Dual Audio/Video Inputs: The XAV-712HD is equipped with two audio/video inputs for connecting an external audio/video source. Each audio/video input consists of a composite video jack and a pair of stereo RCA jacks. You can adjust the audio level of the audio/video inputs from +/-18.
Video Output (with Dual Zone): The XAV-712HD features a rear-panel composite video/stereo RCA audio output that allows you to connect an external display to the unit. You can simultaneously enjoy different sources in the front and rear of your vehicle. You can select from any source for the head unit's touchscreen monitor. You can only select Disc for the connected external monitor. When Dual Zone is activated, use the head unit's touchscreen to control the front source and use the included IR remote to operate the rear source.
Rear View Camera: The Sony XAV-712HD is equipped with a composite video Rear View Camera input. You can view a Normal or Reversed (mirror) image, as well as display marker lines to assist you while backing up. The head unit features a function that automatically switches to the rear camera image (Rear View Camera In jack) when an optional rear camera (such as the 158XAR800C, sold separately) is installed on your vehicle. When your vehicle's shift lever is in the reverse position, the screen automatically switches to the rear view camera. The purple/white wire (attached to the unit's preamp output harness), must be connected to the vehicle's reverse lamp circuit for automatic video switching). Automatic video switching takes approximately 2.5 seconds.
Optional TomTom Navigation System: Connect the optional XA-NV300T TomTom navigation system (158XAN300T, sold separately) to the XAV-712HD's rear-panel USB input to get continuous access to TomTom's intuitive user interface and world-class mapping technologies, including IQ Routes, the word's biggest real travel time database. You'll never have to worry about network connections or data costs because the system works independently of your smartphone.
App Remote Technology: Sony's App Remote Technology offers two-way communication between the Sony XAV-712HD and your USB-connected iPhone (iOS 5.0+) or Bluetooth-paired Android smartphone (OS 2.2+). You will need to download the free Sony App Remote application from the Apple App Store or the Google Play App Store. This application integrates compatible Apple iOS and Android apps into the selectable source list of the Sony CD receiver and lets you launch apps from the head unit. You can operate basic functionality of compatible audio apps directly from the receiver (operation differs depending on the app). Movie and navigation apps will continue to be controlled from your smartphone. In addition, you can control the receiver's sources directly from the application on your smartphone using simple finger gestures and see detailed source information on the phone's touchscreen.
- Receiver Sources: The App Remote lets you access the head unit's Tuner (AM/FM), CD, iPhone, Bluetooth, and Aux sources from your phone's touchscreen. You can use finger gestures to tap, flick left/right, or flick up/down on the phone's touchscreen in order to change AM/FM Band, Play/Pause a track, Seek Up/Down a track or station, select a Preset, or access an Album. You will also be able to see song/artist information from MP3/WMA/AAC and smartphone sources, as well as station identification numbers from AM/FM radio.
- Compatible Apps: The App Remote also
provides various music, movie, and navigation apps which can be accesses
from the Sony XAV-712HD's source list. Available operation differs depending
on the application.
- Music Apps: Music apps include; Pandora, AUPEO!, iHeartRadio, MOG, and TuneIn. The head unit only provides basic Play/Pause functions and no song/artist information for these music apps.
- Movie Apps: Movie apps include Netflix and YouTube. Video will be displayed on your smartphone's screen, while the audio plays through your vehicle's speakers. You can control Play/Pause from the XAV-712HD. Other playback functions will need to done on your smartphone. Subscription may be required. You should not watch videos while your vehicle is in motion.
- Navigation Apps: Supported navigation apps include Apple Maps, Google Maps, Waze, and MotionX GPS Drive. The map screen will display on your smartphone's touchscreen, while audible directions can be heard through your vehicle's speakers. You can continue to listen to music streamed from your smartphone while navigating; the unit will attenuate your music during a navigation voice-prompt. Control of the navigation apps will still be done through your smartphone's touchscreen. Fees may apply for some navigation apps & functions.
- Voice Communication + Notification Readout (Android only): Exclusive to Android devices, App Remote technology for the XAV-712HD head unit adds a voice user interface for voice control of apps and functions such as navigation and music playback, notification readouts including RSS feeds, Twitter, and text message reply. Through voice operation, you can safely and comfortably operate your smartphone in the car from the Sony XAV-712HD DVD receiver. Incoming SMS/E-mail and Twitter/Facebook/Calendar notifications are automatically read aloud through the Sony XAV-712HD and your vehicle's speakers to keep you in touch.
- Custom Sound Settings: From your Android smartphone remote screen, you get access to audio & DSP settings (Equalizer, Volume Control, Fader/Balance/Subwoofer, and Listening Position).
Note: Access to the music, movie, and navigation apps will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet.
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately).
IR Remote Control: The Sony multimedia head unit comes supplied with an IR wireless remote control (RM-X271) for easy operation. The included wireless remote allows you to control the basic functions (not Bluetooth) of the Sony head unit while keeping your eyes on the road.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Product reviews from the Crutchfield LabsWhat are the Labs?
Why did you buy this?
I like the style in this Sony receiver, it's like to much style on it... [ Noe May 23, 2017 ]
Your man Otis convinced me over the phone. You guys have great support and they go above and beyond [ Patrick May 06, 2017 ]
The warrantee, price and specs! [ David Apr 17, 2017 ]
I thought it would fit my needs and it showed that it fits my car [ Lisa Mar 25, 2017 ]
I liked it [ eleazar Mar 07, 2017 ]
sony!!!! [ S Mar 05, 2017 ]
One of the best dvd player, very easy to use and great sound [ alfonso Feb 24, 2017 ]
Upgrading - Always Sony !!!! [ Richard Jul 22, 2016 ]
Great radio, unfortunate that the Xperia Z phone I was connecting it to was not as great. Miss some of the mirror link functionality. Sound is good but the HD radio often goes in and out of HD which is like a cd skipping, annoying. Other HD radios on the same stations in the same area do not do this. All other functionality is good [ BERNARD Dec 23, 2015 ]
18 questions already asked
1 answer I have a galaxy s7 and recently purchased this headunit and love it short of one thing. No matter what I try I can not get the phone to mirror to the receiver. I just want to be able to mirror a navigation program from my phone. Everything else I'm not overly concerned about. I know I can buy a seperate add on navigation unit but I skyway l already have this phone and would much rather use it. Ideas? [ Erik May 13, 2017 ]
If you purchased the product from Crutchfield, feel free to contact our Tech Support team. They can walk you through the settings on the product and see if there may be a fix. Our toll-free Tech Support number is printed on your invoice, and is also available under the "My Orders" tab in the "My Account" section of our website. If you did not purchase the unit from Crutchfield, then you may want to contact the manufacturer, or try our online support center: http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/kw/. [ Kenny May 13, 2017 ] Staff
The HDMI input is standard and will work with your external HDMI video sources (including an Xbox, yes). I hope that helps. My Bio: https://www.crutchfield.com/Support/Bio.aspx?bio=5 [ Ryan Feb 24, 2017 ] Staff
As I bought that radio that works so awesome, I unfortunately can't answer your question. I reluctantly never hooked up my xbox to my truck. No kids and no time! Sorry that I can't help with this particular question [ MR. NOEL E Feb 16, 2017 ]
Thanks for your question. For information on comparing two or more models I would recommend reaching out to an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to help determine the differences and help you make the best choice for your system and your budget. [ Kenny Jan 05, 2017 ] Staff
Yes it will. They most likely installed the universal wiring harness. [ Derek Apr 12, 2016 ]
If you purchased the product from Crutchfield, feel free to contact our Tech Support team. They can walk you through the settings on the product and see if there may be a fix. Our toll-free Tech Support number is printed on your invoice, and is also available under the "My Orders" tab in the "My Account" section of our website. If you did not purchase the unit from Crutchfield, then you may want to contact the manufacturer. You can also post your question in our forums: http://community.crutchfield.com. Or try our online support center: http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/kw/. [ Krissy Feb 19, 2016 ] Staff
resistive, but it is pretty good for being resistive [ Billy Feb 19, 2016 ]
Equalizers typically have RCA audio inputs which should be connected to the front channel preamp outputs on a radios like this Sony. [ Paul Dec 07, 2015 ] Staff
2 answers i am unable to play .mp4 videos on my headrest screens through usb. they play pretty well through a dvd. but not through usb which contains .mp4. player is able to support the dvd .vob files and usb's .mp4 files, but it doesnt mirror usb .mp4 videos. can anybody please help? [ mohit May 24, 2015 ]
I think usb video playback requires a special cable to do video. I can not remember what it's called atm. [ Jason May 24, 2015 ]
If you purchased the product from Crutchfield, feel free to contact our Tech Support team. They can walk you through the settings on the product and see if there may be a fix. Our toll-free Tech Support number is printed on your invoice, and is also available under the "My Orders" tab in the "My Account" section of our website. If you did not purchase the unit from Crutchfield, then you may want to contact the manufacturer. You can also post your question in our forums: http://community.crutchfield.com. Or try our online support center: http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/kw/. [ Jeff May 24, 2015 ] Staff
They can be turned off and left with just a black background. I havent tried to cutomize mine but its not as busy as you would think. [ Celestino Apr 18, 2015 ]
Yes they can be. [ Derek Apr 16, 2015 ]
Yes they can [ NATHAN Apr 15, 2015 ]
There are visualizations you can set for any input. You can also set no visualization as well. Regards, BillyT [ William Apr 15, 2015 ]
yes. easily. [ ROBERT Apr 15, 2015 ]
yes [ Travis Apr 15, 2015 ]
I forwarded your question to an Advisor and they responded with the following: We've not experienced any issues yet with this. As long as the MPEG-4 file is at a max resolution of 720 x 576 w/ frame rate of 30 fps. If you would like to discuss further you can contact an Advisor directly by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. [ Krissy Mar 19, 2015 ] Staff
2 answers Not happy with my Kenwood dvd receiver, need a touch screen that will work with my , JL audio 10" with a Kenwood 500, that has blutooth, and navigation, and is fully compatible with the Samsung galaxy note 3, or s5, and will work in my 2007 6.6 turbo diesel, classic lt, with 6 speakers, without nose or on star, and also a new license plate camera, as the old one sucks? [ bobby Dec 13, 2014 ]
Bluetooth works for playing/phone but other mirror link is not compatible. Backup camera works fine and is adjustable. [ Derek Dec 17, 2014 ]
Bobby M: The SONY XAV-712HD is most likely all the receiver/head unit you will ever need unless there is some technology that comes along that this unit cannot interface with. I am using factory speakers and employed the sound field listening feature -- this unit is fantastic. At 52 watts, this is just fine until I can add upgraded door speakers, satellite tweeters, and a sub. The cell interace is great. Mic placement was very easy. Bluetooth is clear and must have some noise cancellation because my calls are very audible and noiseless. Installation was a breeze. The interconnecting harness was adapted very easily, too. Have not interfaced the back up camera yet -- not a real necessitity in a pick up. Go with this and you will not be dissapointed. I highly recommend this SONY. [ GREGORY L Dec 16, 2014 ]
I forwarded your question to an Advisor and they responded with the following: This unit offers what is called "Quick-BrowZer". That allows you to search for a track on a connected USB device easily by category (Genre, Artist, Album, or Playlist). I wouldn't expect to be as simple as changing the channel on your TV, it will depend on how much media is on the USB thumb drive. It will take some time to load, and some time to navigate. This unit is easier than most, and it offers features ensuring ease. I hope this information helps. If you would like to discuss further you can contact an Advisor directly by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. [ Krissy Nov 10, 2014 ] Staff
For details on fit or installation please contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and give you the details on if this will fit and what you will need for an installation in your vehicle. [ Krissy Aug 04, 2014 ] Staff
No, it does not. But it does tilt. [ ARUNAS Mar 28, 2014 ]
No the face is not detachable [ JUSTIN Mar 28, 2014 ]
MirrorLink is only compatible with the Samsung Galaxy S III/Note II (w/ Android OS), select Sony Xperia (w/ Android OS), and select Nokia Symbian smartphones. [ Jeff Mar 27, 2014 ] Staff
I have never gotten the mirror link to work. I use the blue tooth all the time. [ TODD Mar 26, 2014 ]
We have not received any answers from other customers on your question. I would recommend reaching out to an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They should be able to help answer your question. [ Jeff Mar 18, 2014 ] Staff
You will want to contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat to discuss compatibility with your factory amp. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and see if this will integrate. If it does not, then they will also be able to discuss other options with you. [ Krissy Mar 16, 2014 ] Staff
2 answers I have a 2011 ford focus ses, with sync, has controls on the steering wheel for volume, track, and media/voice control. it also has a usb port and aux port at the bottom in front of the shifter. My question; Will this radio be able to use everything that was mentioned above, in other words, would it be a factory replacement? I 've always wanted a touch screen [ Richard Feb 26, 2014 ]
Will this receiver work and fit in my 2004 dodge ram 2500 [ Ryan Jun 05, 2014 ]
The ability to retain steering wheel controls with aftermarket receivers will be determined by the receiver you are using and the vehicle you have. For full information on this type of integration (including the parts you will need) please contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. [ Jeff Feb 26, 2014 ] Staff