Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Hybrid in-ear headphones with in-line remote and microphone
Item # 158XBAH3 | MFR # XBA-H3
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Sony XBA-H3 by Crutchfield's David Brown
Big sound without big headphones
When it comes to headphones, bigger isn't necessarily better. Take the Sony XBA-H3 headphones. Though they're compact in-ear headphones, they offer excellent sound, with nice tight bass, gorgeous midrange warmth, and lots of high-frequency detail. How do they do it? With Sony's hybrid design that uses two kinds of drivers. A 16mm dynamic driver is paired with two tiny balanced armature drivers — one full-range, one high-frequency — to deliver vibrant, balanced sound across a large soundstange with impressive high- and low-frequency extension.
The XBA-H3 uses two balanced armature drivers and a dynamic driver to deliver accurate, engaging sound from an in-ear design.
Ear-pleasing design, inside and out
One look at the XBA-H3 and you'll know these aren't just another pair of earbuds. The earpieces are solidly constructed to minimize vibration-induced distortion for true audiophile-grade performance. That means vocals will sound accurate and natural — a particular strength of Sony's balanced armature drivers. The soft, flexible hangers extending from the earpieces wrap gently around your ears for increased stability as you move about. A generous assortment of foam and hybrid silicone ear tips helps you get the ideal fit. This ensures these headphones remain securely in your ears while also improving noise isolation for better bass response and overall clarity.
Smartphone-ready, for Apple® and Android™
The XBA-H3 headphones come with two cables, one of which has a built-in remote and microphone. The microphone lets you take calls with your smartphone, while the remote offers playback and call control with the push of a button. It's compatible with Android and Apple devices. If you're an Android user, you can even download Sony's free SmartKey™ app. It lets you customize the remote button for various functions, including volume control.
What's in the Box:
- In-ear headphones with attached 47" stereo ear hanger cable (right-angled 3.5mm plug)
- 47" Stereo ear hanger cable with in-line microphone/remote (right-angled 3.5mm plug)
- 4 Pairs of Hybrid Silicone earbuds (SS/S/M/L sizes with M pair installed on headphones)
- 3 Pairs of Foamed Silicone earbuds (S/M/L sizes)
- Clothing clip
- Cable length adjuster
- Padded zippered storage case
- Operating Instructions
- Limited Warranty
- Online product registration sheet
- Graphic instructions for plugging in cable
- hybrid 3-way driver system delivers fine detail and smoothness across an exceptionally wide frequency range
- 16mm dynamic driver, full-range balanced armature driver, and a high-frequency balanced armature driver in each earpiece
- 47" mini cable with in-line remote and microphone lets you control music and take calls with an Apple or Android smartphone
- 47" standard (no remote) mini headphone cable for use with other listening devices
- Sony's Beat Response Control regulates airflow and diaphragm movement to ensure deep, tight bass
- rigid design minimizes vibrations to reduce distortion for clean sound
- download the free SmartKey app for Android to customize the in-line remote's button functions for your smartphone or tablet
- includes an assortment of foam (4 sizes) and hybrid silicone (3 sizes) ear tips for a comfortable fit and proper noise isolation
- soft, coated silicone hangers wrap around your ears for a stable, secure fit
- compact nylon carrying case included
- clothing clip included
- frequency response: 3-40,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 107 dB
- impedance: 40 ohms at 1 kHz
- weight: 1.1 oz.
- warranty: 90 days
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Features and Specs
|Earcup Width x Height||0.515" x 0.684"|
|Mic For Taking Calls||Yes|
|Frequency Response||3-40k Hz|
|Cord Length||47" + 47"|
|1/4-inch Adapter Included||No|
|Parts Warranty||90 Days|
|Labor Warranty||90 Days|
HD Hybrid 3-way Drivers: The Sony XBA-H3 in-ear headphones are equipped with Sony's HD Hybrid 3-way driver unit, which includes a 16mm dynamic driver and two Balanced Armature drivers. The rigid, lightweight aluminum diaphragm of the HD Super Tweeter delivers the ultra high frequency sound, while the Liquid Crystal Polymer Film diaphragm on the dynamic driver provides the needed rigidity and internal loss for balanced and accurate sound reproduction. These drivers deliver brilliant highs and clear, deep bass for musical enjoyment over the entire frequency range.
Beat Response Control: Today's high energy music with its driving bass notes is demanding for in-ear headphones. The XBA-H3's Beat Response Control is a special acoustic design that helps control airflow and diaphragm movement to give you tight, deep bass response.
Vibration Suppression Housing: Each driver is placed into a single suppression housing. The housing material suppresses unwanted vibrations to reproduce crystal clear sound.
Multiple Ear Tips: The Sony XBA-H3s come with two types of silicone ear tips in multiple sizes to ensure a comfortable and secure fit. There are four sizes of Hybrid Silicone ear tips (SS/S/M/L) that maximize the overall sound quality and comfort. In addition, three sizes of Noise Isolation ear tips (S/M/L), made with silicone and urethane foam, provide a measure of ambient noise reduction to shut out distractions from your surroundings.
Detachable Cords: The headphones come with two 47" detachable cords with proprietary connectors at the ear bud. Both cables feature soft Teknorote-coated silicone ear hangers that allow for a secure and custom fit that's easily adjustable. Each tangle-free cord has an adjustable cinch, and is terminated with a right-angled 3.5mm miniplug that fits into most smart devices, even with a hard case. You can choose between the following cables:
- Smartphone Cord: This cable includes an in-line microphone/one-button remote that is compatible with most smartphones. The one-button remote lets you play/pause your music, and answer/end calls, while the built-in microphone lets you make hands-free calls. With the downloadable SmartKey app for Android, you can customize the functionality of the in-line remote.
- Audio Cord: This cable is for audio listening only--no in-line remote or microphone.
Included Accessories: The Sony XBA-H3 comes a clothing clip and a convenient cord winder to adjust the length of the cable. The headphones include a semi-hard carrying case to store and transport the headphones and all its accessories.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.