Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Sony XDP-PK1000 Digital Link Sound System
Digital signal processor, 12" sub, sub amplifier, and cradle for iPhone® or iPod touch®
From Sony: Tips for choosing the best car audio
Our take on the Sony XDP-PK1000 Digital Link Sound System by Crutchfield's Buck Pomerantz
Add a source, a sub, and upgrade your sound
Sony's XDP-PK1000 Digital Link Sound System allows you to play your iPod touch® or iPhone® through your car's factory stereo system, and gives you a tremendous upgrade in the quality of your sound at the same time. The package includes a sound module with 4-channel amp, a 12" truck-style enclosure, a 300-watt sub amp, and a cradle for your iPod.
How it works
The DSP master unit includes a built-in 4-channel amplifier for your car's speakers, along with a digital sound processor that optimizes the sound for your vehicle's specific size and shape. You tap into the speaker wiring of your factory radio or amp, and connect the wires to inputs and outputs of the DSP module. The amp delivers almost twice the power found in most factory radios, bringing new clarity and excitement to your tunes. The module also includes three sets of preamp outputs, handy for connecting outboard amplifiers.
Subwoofer system included
The package includes a truck-style enclosure with a 12" sub that's compact enough to fit comfortably in most cars, along with a 300-watt sub amp that'll make sure your bass keeps up with the rest of your new system.
The cradle will dock
Once you mount the cradle, and its cable, on your dash, you can dock your iPod in a convenient position for hands-on or hands-free play. The heavy-duty suction cup holds the cradle to your dash securely, with a quick-release latch for easy removal. The cradle also contains a remote control sensor, manual volume control, seek/source buttons, and DSP status indicator lights that help oversee the system. A wireless remote lets you control everything safely, so you can keep your eyes on the road.
If you own a classic car and you don't need AM/FM reception, you should take a look at this system. You can install the hideaway module somewhere out of sight, put the sub in the trunk, and mount the cradle in a convenient spot. You'll be able to play your iPod through your car's speakers, and adjust your settings with the remote. Best of all, the original radio stays in place, so your car shows well and maintains its value. This system would also work well in buses, recreational vehicles, and many other applications where you don't need an in-dash receiver.
Installation was time consuming, but the result was great.
Anonymous, belmont, nc
What's in the Box:
- DSP Master Unit (XDP-MU110)
- Mono-block amplifier (XM-PK100D)
- Sealed enclosure with loaded 12" sub (XS-PK120LC)
- iPod/iPhone cradle (XA-C100IP)
- 8' Cradle cable (with a proprietary 13-pin connector on one end and a proprietary multi-pin connector on other end)
- 8' Wiring harness
- 8' Speaker-level input harness
- IR remote control (RM-X251)
- CR2025 3V lihthium battery (installed in remote)
- Mounting sheet
- 3 Self-adhesive cord clamps
- Rubber grommet
- Cleaning sponge
- 4 Metal brackets
- 8 Pan-head screws (large)
- 8 Counter-sunk screws (large)
- 4 Philips-head mounting screws (small)
- 4 Hex-head mounting screws (small)
- 10A ATC fuse (installed in DSP master unit)
- Two 30A fuses (installed in amp)
- Operating Instructions (En/Sp)
- Installation/Connections Guide (En/Sp)
- Note on the suction cup of the cradle
- Warranty Sheet
- iPod touch/iPhone integration and subwoofer for factory sound systems
- package includes DSP (digital sounds processor) master unit, subwoofer in enclosure, subwoofer amplifier, cradle for iPhone or iPod touch, and wireless remote
- XDP-MU110 DSP master unit:
- optimizes sound settings based on your vehicle's size
- accounts for subwoofer location
- 4-channel internal amplifier (17 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms)
- includes input/output and power harnesses
- dimensions: 8-3/8"W x 1-5/8"H x 6-1/4"D
- XS-PK120LC subwoofer
- 12" single voice coil 4-ohm sub
- power rating: 300 watts RMS
- sealed enclosure dimensions: 17"W x 14-5/8"H x 10-3/4"D1 x 7-3/8"D2
- XM-PK100D subwoofer amplifier
- 300 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms
- Class D amp technology
- fixed low-pass filter (120 Hz, 12 dB/oct)
- fixed subsonic filter (6 Hz, 12 dB/oct)
- 8-gauge power and ground leads recommended wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
- fuse rating: 30A x 2
- amp dimensions: 14-1/8"W x 2-1/4"h x 11"D
- Apple®-certified dock works with iPhone (2G/3G/3GS/4/4S) and iPod touch (1st/2nd/3rd/4th gen)
- suction cup support holds tight to most flat surfaces
- quick-release lever allows for easy removal
- manual volume control, and seek and select source buttons
- DSP status indicator lights and remote sensor
- includes cradle cable and cord clamps
- approximate dimensions: 2-5/8"W x 5-1/2"H x 4-1/4"D
- RM-X251 Card remote commander:
- volume, fade, balance, tone, source
- subwoofer level control
- Automatic Level Optimzer
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Sony XDP-PK1000 Digital Link Sound System Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Digital Link Sound System: The Sony Digital Link Sound System (XDP-PK1000) allows you to integrate select iPods or iPhones into your vehicle's existing factory audio system. You can enjoy great sound from your factory car stereo and compatible iPod/iPhone via the Digital Link Sound System, which features sound settings optimized for your vehicle by using Sony digital sound technology. A separate mono-block amplifier and 12" subwoofer enclosure adds deep bass to your vehicle's factory car stereo system. The Sony Digital Link Sound System (XDP-PK1000) consists of a hide-away DSP master unit, iPod/iPhone cradle, mono-block sub amp, and 12" subwoofer in a sealed enclosure.
DSP Master Unit: The hide-away DSP master unit features a built-in 17 watts x 4 channel amplifier and also includes 6-channel 2-volt preamp outputs to enhance your car stereo sound. The DSP master unit offers internal DSP processing for improved car audio sound suited for your type of vehicle.
iPod/iPhone Cradle: The iPod/iPhone cradle connects to the hide-away DSP master unit via an 8' cable. The iPod/iPhone cradle fits the iPod touch and iPhone, but the connector also supports the iPod classic and iPod nano. The iPod/iPhone cradle is fitted with a suction-cup mount that adheres to your vehicle's dashboard.
Mono-Block Sub Amp: The high efficiency, Class-D design, mono-block subwoofer amplifier produces 300 watts RMS.
12" Subwoofer Enclosure: A compact, sealed subwoofer enclosure uses a Sony original 12" dimpled design subwoofer for powerful bass response.
45W x 4ch Amplifier: The Sony Digital Link Sound System's DSP Master Unit is equipped with a 17 watt RMS (45 peak) x 4-channel high-power amplifier to drive your car audio speakers. The built-in amplifier improves the sound of existing factory car stereo.
Note: CEA2006 Output Power - 17W RMS @ 4-ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, <1% THD+N.
2V/6ch Preamp Outputs: The DSP Master Unit is fitted with 2-volt Front, Rear, and Sub RCA pre-amp outputs to feed an external amplifier for even better sound. The front and rear speaker preamp outputs are balance and fade adjustable. The subwoofer preamp output is non-fading.
Speaker Level Input (w/ 2ch or 4ch mode): The Sony DSP Master Unit connects to your vehicle's factory car stereo via speaker-level input. You can choose between a 2-channel or 4-channel mode based on the number of speakers you are connecting. Select "2ch" if you connect only the front car speakers to the DSP master unit or "4ch" if you connect your vehicle's front & rear speakers.
Internal DSP: Internal DSP processing improves both your factory audio system playback and your iPod touch or iPhone playback. This system provides well balanced sound, which appears to come from in front of the driver's seat, optimized for the vehicle type by setting the DSP master unit. The hide-away DSP Master Unit utilizes 3 multi-position switches to adjust 12 different DSP parameters, so the sound can be customized to fit your ride.
- Vehicle Size: Select from one of three sizes (L/M/S) based on the air volume of your car.
- Subwoofer: Select "Y" (yes) or "N" (no) depending on whether you have a separate amp & subwoofer connected to the system.
- Subwoofer Location: Then select from one of three positions (Far/Mid/Near) based on the distance between the driver's seat and where the subwoofer is located in the vehicle.
Automatic Level Optimizer: The Automatic Level Optimizer adjusts the playback volume level of your connected iPod touch/iPhone to the optimum level.
Tone Control: The Sony DSP Master Unit offers Bass (100Hz) & Treble (7kHz) control that is adjustable from -7dB to +7dB.
Balance/Fader: You can adjust the balance between your vehicle's left & right speakers, as well as the fade between the vehicle's front & rear speakers. The system offers a 7 step balance & fade adjustment.
Mono-Block Amplifier: The Sony mono-block amplifier features a Class-D design for greater efficiency. The amplifier is rated at 300 watts RMS x 1ch (in 4-ohms, at 20-100Hz, with <1% THD) and 600 watts Peak x 1ch. The subwoofer amplifier offers the following controls and connections.
- Volume Level: When you have connected the mono-block amplifier & subwoofer to the system, you can adjust the level of the subwoofer independently from the system's main volume. The subwoofer level can be adjusted from -7dB to +6dB.
- Low Pass Filter: The sub amp is equipped with a fixed low-pass crossover (120Hz, 12 dB/oct.)
- Power/Ground/Remote-Turn On: The power and ground connections are 0.5625" wide screw terminals that will accommodate up to 4-gauge wire. The remote turn-on terminal is 0.3125" wide and will accept up to 8-gauge wire. A Phillips-head or flat blade screw driver (not supplied) is required to tighten/loosen the terminals. Spade connectors are recommended for the power, ground, and remote wires.
- Line Level Input: The mono-channel amplifier is equipped with a single pair of gold-plated RCA line level inputs.
- Line Level Output: The amplifier has a pair of gold-plated RCA line level outputs for feeding a full-range stereo signal to another amplifier. It is the same signal that is input through the line inputs. The amplifier's crossovers have no effect on the line level output signal.
- Speaker Output: The subwoofer amplifier is equipped with two pairs of gold-plated speaker terminals for an easy parallel subwoofer connection. All four speaker terminals are 0.3125" wide screw terminals and will accommodate up to 8-gauge wire. A Phillips-head or flat blade screw driver (not supplied) is required to tighten/loosen the terminals. Spade connectors are recommended for the speaker wires.
- Fuses: The amp is equipped with two 30 amp ATC blade fuses.
12" Subwoofer Enclosure: The sealed (acoustic suspension) enclosure is loaded with a front-firing 12" polypropylene cone woofer with rubber surround and Ferrite magnet. The 12" subwoofer can handle up to 420 watts (RMS) and 1000 watts (Peak). The subwoofer enclosure features a set of 5-way, gold-plated bind-post speaker terminals. The 12" subwoofer enclosure is rated at 4-ohms at the box's speaker terminals. The box is covered in automotive-grade black carpet and includes mounting hardware.
Note: This subwoofer box does not come with a grille.
Installation Note: Installation of the amplifier and subwoofer will require the purchase of an amp wiring kit, audio cables, and speaker wire.
iPod/iPhone Docking Cradle: The Sony Digital Link Sound System (XDP-PK1000) includes an iPod/iPhone docking cradle which allows you to connect your iPod or iPhone to your factory car system. The iPod/iPhone cradle is adjustable and features a suction-cup mount. The adjustable cradle can be mounted to your dash and you can then adjust the angle of your iPod touch/iPhone.
Note: The cradle is designed to specifically fit the iPod touch (1st/2nd/3rd/4th gen) and iPhone (2G/3G/3GS/4/4S). Even though the cradle does not fit the iPod classic or iPod nano perfectly, the dock connector does support audio playback, control, and charging of these iPods. See chart below.
Audio Playback: The Sony Digital Link Sound System supports audio playback of stored music from your iPod or iPhone, plus streaming music apps on your or iPhone.
Playback Control: The iPod/iPhone cradle and included IR remote control allows you to skip to the next or previous track on your docked iPod/iPhone. All advanced playback functions will be controlled from your iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen.
Information Display: The Sony Digital Link Sound System does not feature a separate display. All song, artist, track, and playback information will still be viewed from your docked iPod/iPhone.
Charging: Your docked iPod/iPhone's battery will be charged while the Sony Digital Link Sound System is powered on. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Sony Digital Link Sound System is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 5/9/2012):
|iPod Model||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Remote||iPod/iPhone||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
|classic||80GB||1.1.2||Y||N||Skip Tracks only||Y||iPod only||iPod only||Y|
|120GB||2.0.1||Y||N||Skip Tracks only||Y||iPod only||iPod only||Y|
|160GB||2.0.4||Y||N||Skip Tracks only||Y||iPod only||iPod only||Y|
|2nd||1.1.3||Y||N||Skip Tracks only||Y||iPod only||iPod only||Y|
|3rd||1.1.3||Y||N||Skip Tracks only||Y||iPod only||iPod only||Y|
|4th||1.0.4||Y||N||Skip Tracks only||Y||iPod only||iPod only||Y|
|5th||1.0.2||Y||N||Skip Tracks only||Y||iPod only||iPod only||Y|
|6th||1.1 PC||Y||N||Skip Tracks only||Y||iPod only||iPod only||Y|
|touch||1st||2.2.1||Y||N||Skip Tracks only||Y||iPod only||iPod only||Y|
|2nd||4.2.1||Y||N||Skip Tracks only||Y||iPod only||iPod only||Y|
|3rd||5.0.1||Y||N||Skip Tracks only||Y||iPod only||iPod only||Y|
|4th||5.1||Y||N||Skip Tracks only||Y||iPod only||iPod only||Y|
|iPhone||2G||3.1.3||Y||N||Skip Tracks only||Y||iPhone only||iPhone only||Y|
|3G||4.2.1||Y||N||Skip Tracks only||Y||iPhone only||iPhone only||Y|
|3GS||4.3.5||Y||N||Skip Tracks only||Y||iPhone only||iPhone only||Y|
|4||5.1||Y||N||Skip Tracks only||Y||iPhone only||iPhone only||Y|
|4S||5.1||Y||N||Skip Tracks only||Y||iPhone only||iPhone only||Y|
Note: Green = Perfect Fit & Control. Blue = Partial Fit & Control. Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the device and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to revert to the older software version or wait until a newer software update is available.
IR Remote: The included wireless remote (RM-X251) lets you control the basic functions of the Sony Digital Link System. Remote control functions include:
- Balance/Fade control
- Tone control (Bass & Treble)
- Automatic Level Optimizer
- System Volume
- Subwoofer Volume
- Track skip (next/previous)
DSP Master Unit:
- Width = 8.3125"
- Height = 1.5625"
- Depth = 7.0625"
- Width = 2.8125"
- Height = 5.75"
- Depth = 4.0625"
- Width = 14.0625"
- Height = 2.25"
- Depth = 10.9375"
- Width = 17.0"
- Height = 14.6875"
- Depth 1 = 8.75"
- Depth 2 = 12.375"
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.