Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Sony Xperia™ Tablet Z
Tablet with 10" touchscreen (32GB)
Item # 158XTAB32 | MFR # SGP312U1/B
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Sony Xperia™ Tablet Z by Crutchfield's Ralph Graves
Innovative design, stunning display
What makes a great tablet? Versatility, durability, compact design, and fun, useful features. The Sony Xperia Tablet Z delivers on all counts. The Tablet Z is only as thick as a pencil and weighs just a little over a pound, yet its strong display glass makes it one of the toughest tablets around.
The 10.1" touchscreen display delivers enhanced color reproduction, giving you an HDTV-like viewing experience. Incorporated into the display is a high-contrast panel that helps reduce glare in direct sunlight, so you can use it inside and out.
Enhance your TV viewing experience
"The Tablet Z is great to have on hand when you're watching TV. You can use it as a universal infrared remote to control your system with intuitive touchscreen navigation. The preloaded TV SideView™ app turns the tablet into a second screen where you can check channel listings and change programs without minimizing your TV's picture.
Want to see a certain movie or show, but not sure which service has it? The tablet's built-in search function automatically checks TV schedules, Internet services and apps like Netflix® with a single click. And once you start watching, use the Tablet Z to connect with friends and fans through Twitter and Facebook to talk about the show in real time.
Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, and NFC
The Tablet Z has built-in Wi-Fi, so you can use your wireless home network or public hotspots to access the Internet. And it has built-in Bluetooth for easy pairing with compatible wireless headsets, headphones, portable speakers and other compatible devices.
Still not enough? This versatile tablet also features NFC (Near Field Communication). Just touch it to a compatible device for instant wireless pairing. Then with one touch you can transfer movies, photos, or music — without wires and without logging into a network.
Cameras on the front and back
An 8-megapixel camera on the rear panel captures high-quality images and videos. Sony's exclusive built-in mobile sensor adjusts for available lighting, ensuring you get the best shot possible. And when you're done, it's simple to upload pictures directly to Facebook. Or use Sony's free PlayMemories Online™ service to store and share photos and videos.
A second front-facing camera lets you use the tablet for video chat. The Tablet Z's built-in microphone picks up the sound for your videos and online conversations.
Expandable memory for more entertainment options
The tablet comes configured with either 16GB or 32GB of built-in memory. A microSD™ card slot on the side lets you slip in extra microSD or microSDHC cards (available separately) to expand your available storage.
Powerful processing for ultra-fast operation
The Xperia Tablet Z uses a powerful 1.5GHz quad-core processor to ensure fast processing power and smooth motion. Android's latest "Jelly Bean" operating system seriously delivers seamless performance and a responsive interface.
Water- and dust-resistant
Go ahead and use your Tablet Z in the kitchen. And don't worry about an occasional splatter or an accidental dip into the sink. A water-resistant design means it can withstand being submerged down to three feet for up to 30 minutes.
Already owning an Apple iPad, I could clearly see that this tablet had so many more great features.
Anonymous, New York City, NY
What's in the Box:
- Sony 32GB Xperia Tablet Z
- AC to USB power adapter (5 volts DC/1500 mA output)
- 37" USB cable (USB type A on one end and micro USB type B on the other)
- Startup guide (English)
- Startup guide (French)
- Startup guide (Spanish)
- Important information (English)
- Important information (French)
- Important information (Spanish)
- US Safety Guidelines (English)
- US Safety Guidelines (French)
- SAR Information/ FCC Statement/ Declaration of Conformity
- Special offer ID code
- 10.1" touchscreen with 1920 X 1200 resolution
- 32GB embedded flash memory
- Wi-Fi enabled
- NFC (Near Field Communication) lets you wirelessly pair with a compatible device by simply touching the tablet to it
- Bluetooth 4.0
- water-resistant down to 3 feet, while submerged for up to 30 minutes
- preloaded apps
- TV SideView control your TV, browse channel guide and change channel from your tablet
- PlayMemories Online #&151; Sony's free photo and video sharing service
- 8-megapixel rear camera for taking photographs and capturing video (includes autofocus and flash)
- 2-megapixel front camera for self-portraits and Skype
- built-in speakers with simulated surround sound
- universal infrared remote control functionality with pre-loaded control codes
- stereo headphone minijack output
- microSD card slot (microSD cards available separately)
- sync and charging cable with USB connector
- built-in rechargeable lithium polymer battery with up to 10 hours video playback, or 8 hours Wi-Fi web browsing
- Android Jelly Bean v. 4.1 operating system
- quad core 1.5GHz processor
- 10-1/2"W x 6-13/16"H x 5/16"D
- weight: 1.09 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Sony Xperia™ Tablet Z Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Screen Size (inches)||10-1/8|
|Screen Resolution||1920 x 1200|
|Operating System||Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean|
|CPU Type||Quad Core|
|CPU Speed||1.5 GHz|
|Battery Life (hours)||10|
|Front Camera (megapixels)||2 MP|
|Rear Camera (megapixels)||8 MP|
|Built-in Storage||32 GB|
|System Memory (RAM)||2 GB|
|Memory Cards Supported||Micro SD|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Processor Type: The Xperia Tablet Z is equipped with a Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro APQ8064 Cortex-A9 Quad Core 1.5 GHz processor.
Operating System: The Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean operating system was factory installed; an update to 4.2.2 available as of 11/11/13.
Firmware/Software Updates: Occasionally, Sony may release updated firmware/software for this unit that may add or improve the way a feature operates. These updates are typically available free of charge. This unit is capable of checking for and downloading new firmware/software when connected to the Internet via a WiFi connection.
Wi-Fi: The Xperia Tablet Z features built-in Wi-Fi to access the internet from your home network or public hotspots. The tablet is IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n certified.
Note: The Wi-Fi checker app enables you to check the Wi-Fi connection when a connection problem occurs.
DLNA Certified: With cross-connectivity between the Sony Xperia Tablet Z and DLNA-compatible TVs, PCs, or speaker systems, it's easy to share your content. The tablet lets you wirelessly share, view, and transfer personal video, photos, and music to your DLNA compatible TV or speaker system. You can also enjoy your pictures, music, and personal videos stored on your computer via the tablet, over a WiFi (wireless) connection.
Note: Certain audio/video formats and copy protected content are not supported.
App Compatible: The Sony Xperia Tablet Z comes with select pre-installed apps, and allows you to download additional apps from the Android Play Store. You can search for and acquire various apps easily right from the tablet.
GPS: The GPS (Global Positioning System) function provides location information by receiving signals from GPS satellites. You can see the location where you are, where you are going, or directions to a destination on Google Maps with the tablet by using the GPS function.
Note: The GPS antenna is built in to the tablet. If you cover the antenna with your hands or other objects while using the GPS function, the positioning accuracy may deteriorate.
Bluetooth Technology: The Sony Xperia Tablet Z features built-in Bluetooth (version 4.0). You can establish wireless communications between the tablet and other Bluetooth-enabled devices such as a computer, mobile phone, headphones, or Bluetooth speaker. You can transfer audio files, photos, videos, and web pages between these devices without cables at a range of up to 33' in an open area. The tablet can pair with several devices, but can only connect to one at a time.
Sample Data: Sample music, videos, and photos are installed on the tablet. Once you delete the sample data, you cannot restore it.
Rechargeable Battery: The Sony Xperia Tablet Z includes an integrated rechargeable Lithium polymer battery. With a full charge, the battery lasts as much as eight hours while surfing the web and ten hours while watching video.
AC Power Supply: An AC power supply is included to power the tablet and to charge the internal battery.
- Input: 100-240V~50/60Hz
- Output: 5V - 1500 mA
Dual Cameras: The tablet has two cameras, a 2 megapixel front camera for video chatting and an 8 megapixel rear camera for shooting video and still photos.
Microphone (with built-in Voice Recognition): The Sony Xperia Tablet Z is fitted with an integrated microphone for voice communication apps. You can speak voice commands to browse web pages, navigate, and more.
Built-In Speakers: Two built-in speakers allow listening to your movies, games, and other apps directly from the tablet.
Backup: You should copy the data in the tablet and store it on another storage device (backup). Various data, such as recorded images, downloaded music and video content, will be accumulated in your tablet as you use it. If unexpected problems occur with the tablet, that data may be damaged or lost. As a preventive measure in case of such accidents, you should make frequent backups so you will be able to restore your precious data.
NFC (Near Field Communications): Use NFC, also known as one-touch sharing, to share data with other devices; video, photo, web page address, music file, contact, etc. You can also use NFC to scan tags that give you more information about a product or service as well as tags that activate certain functions on your tablet. NFC is a wireless technology with a maximum range of one centimeter, so the devices sharing data must be held close to each other.
Water Resistant: The Xperia Tablet Z is water resistant, even when submerged in up to three feet of water for up to 30 minutes (fresh water only).
Note: In order for your tablet to be water resistant, the covers for the micro USB port, the microSD card, and the headphone jack must be firmly closed.
TV SideView: In addition to having a built-in IR remote to control your TV, the free TV SideView app from Google Play allows you to flip through the channel guide, change the channel or search for your favorite content online on your tablet, all without minimizing the TV picture.
Touchscreen LCD Panel: The Sony Xperia Tablet Z is outfitted with a 10.1" WUXGA (1920 x 1200) TFT color LCD touchscreen, using Sony's Mobile BRAVIA Engine 2 for a wide color spectrum and an OptiContrast panel to reduce glare. The screen also provides responsive touch commands such as Tap, Tap and Hold, Drag, Flick, and Pinch.
Note: The screen rotates when you turn your tablet to a "portrait" or "landscape" orientation. You can also adjust the screen's brightness.
Pre-Installed Apps: The following Apps come already installed on the Xperia Tablet Z:
- Chrome: Chrome web browser for Android devices
- Play Store: additional Apps can be downloaded from the Play Store; if you don't already have one, you must set up a Google account to use the Play Store
- Walkman: The use the Walkman App to play back music and audio books stored on the tablet or your home network; you can also send music content to another DLNA certified device and play it back on that device; detailed information about the current album or song can be searched or displayed, and you can add cover art or lyrics to the content; you can also adjust EQ settings to your listening preference
- Album: use the Album app to display photos and video from your tablet's memory, from a web service, or from your home network; you can also easily post photos to network services to share them.
- Movies: the Movies app allows you to play video content stored on the tablet, the home network, or from the Video Unlimited service; you can also send video content to another DLNA certified device and play it back on that device
- Sony Select: access games, music, videos, and more Apps from this Sony service, guaranteed to work on your Xperia Tablet Z
- Camera: use the camera App to take photos and record video clips
- Facebook: access Facebook directly using the App
- Socialife: Sony's Socialife App collects news, video, and social network feeds (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) in one place
- YouTube: access YouTube directly using the App
- Email: use the Email application to send and receive emails through both private and corporate accounts
- Calendar: use the Calendar application to keep track of your events and manage your appointments; you can sync calendar events with your tablet from multiple email accounts and synchronization services
- Notes: keep electronic notes; shopping list, etc.
- Contacts: use the Contacts App to manage phone numbers, email address and other information related to your contacts; you can sync your tablet's contacts with multiple other accounts
- Settings: adjust the tablet's settings
- Alarm & Clock: set the clock and multiple alarms
- Maps: view your current location, find other locations, and calculate routes using Google Maps
- Video Unlimited: rent or buy hit movies and download them to your tablet; requires a monthly subscription
- Let's Start PSM: add PlayStation Mobile for Android
- FM Radio: listen to FM radio (over the air, not streamed)
- TrackID: use TrackID music recognition to identify music you hear playing in your surroundings; record a short sample of the song and you'll get artist, title, and album info within seconds
- PlayNow: browse/purchase/download music, games, themes, wallpaper, etc.
- Movie Studio: edit video and photos
- Smart Connect: set what happens when you connect or disconnect specific accessories, or at specific times
- Remote Control: use the built-in universal infrared remote (with learning capability and pre-loaded remote codes) to control other devices; you can also use gestures to control common functions
- Utilities: access calculator, backup & restore, and downloads
- Navigation: speak or type destinations for Google Maps
- Support: access Sony's support site; includes software updates, troubleshooting, and online user guide
- Gmail: read, write, and organize emails on your Gmail account
- Google+: link to your Google account, or create a new one
- Messenger: send and receive text and multimedia messages
- Google: search for information in your tablet and on the web
- Voice Search: speak input instead of typing
- Hangouts: chat with friends online (individuals or groups)
- News & Weather: view local weather and news, sports, and entertainment reports
- Play Music: play music stored in the tablet's memory
- Play Movies & TV: rent or buy movies and TV shows, and play video content stored in the tablet's memory
- Play Books: read books stored in the tablet's memory, books can also be purchased online and downloaded (three titles are preloaded: The Three Musketeers, Treasure Island, and Alice's Adventures in Wonderland)
- Play Magazines: purchase single issues, or subscribe to online magazines
- Local: find, get information on, and directions to local restaurants, attractions, and stores
- Crackle: offers free access to select movies and TV shows
- File Transfer: move file to and from the tablet memory
- Wi-Fi Checker: test the current Wi-Fi connection
- Netflix: access your Netflix account, subscription required
- Music Unlimited: access to music from every major label; upload your personal library for access anytime; discover new favorites with automatic recommendations based on your listening habits; requires subscription
- Registration: register your tablet purchase with Sony
- Xperia Link: connect to the internet via your Xperia phone (sold separately)
- Skype: use instant message, voice, or video call with other Skype users
- Google Settings: adjust setting for Google Apps
- Play Memories Online: cloud service for storing photos and videos (up to 5GB at no charge)
- Office Suite: OfficeSuite Viewer installed, can be upgraded to OfficeSuite Pro for a discounted fee
- Update Center: manage update settings
Headphone Output: The Xperia Tablet Z has a 3.5mm headphone jack. The tablet's built-in speakers will be muted when a set of headphones is connected.
Micro SD Card Slot: A micro SD expansion slot allows additional memory space.
micro-USB Port: The tablet is equipped with a micro-USB connector; this port is used to charge the tablet or to connect the to your computer. When connected to the computer, data can be copied from the computer to your tablet, and vise versa.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
1 question already asked
This does not have a port to use a flash drive, but it does have a microSD card slot: A microSDT card slot on the side lets you slip in extra microSD or microSDHC cards (available separately) to expand your available storage. [ Jeff Dec 27, 2013 ] Staff