Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Trunk-mount 6-channel equalizer and line driver (White)
Item # 161EQSW | MFR # 8410364
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the AudioControl EQS by Crutchfield's Charlie Pastorfield
AudioControl designed the EQS for one reason to make your car audio system sound better. This rugged 6-channel equalizer features 13 bands of adjustment for sonic fine tuning, along with a line driver that allows you to send the cleanest possible signal to your amplifiers. And speaker-level inputs allow you to connect the EQS to just about any car stereo, even Bose® systems and factory amps up to 400 watts.
The EQS features inputs and outputs for your front, rear, and subwoofer channels, fitting between your receiver and your amplifiers in the signal chain. Once connected, the EQS makes it easy turn up the input gain knobs, adjust the output knobs until the light indicates the desired output, and you're all set. You can adjust the output level up to 9.5 volts, so you can maximize the performance of any amplifier.
Most car audio problems occur in the bass frequencies, so the subwoofer channel gives you six bands of equalization between 31.5 and 100 Hz, along with a rolloff filter that keeps inaudible subsonic bass out of your subwoofer system. You also get seven bands of equalization from 120 Hz all the way up to 10,000 Hz on the front and rear channels. If you're not using the sub channel, the low-frequency EQ section switches to the rear channel automatically.
Balanced inputs reject noise caused by your vehicle's electrical system, but you have the option of grounding your inputs to solve ground loop problems.
The EQS is designed to work with a variety of systems, whether it's tied directly into a single amp or connected to an AudioControl crossover in a multi-amp setup. Check out the system diagrams in More Photos.
What's in the Box:
- Pre-amp 6-Channel Equalizer (white)
- Owner's manual
- QC checklist
- Product registration card
- dual 13-band equalizers with level matching controls
- white steel chassis with gold-plated RCA jacks
- line driver increases signal up to 18 dB (up to 9.5 volts RMS)
- 6-channel preamp inputs and outputs (front, rear, and subwoofer)
- speaker-level inputs for easy connection to factory radio
- top-mounted controls for easy adjustment
- balanced inputs eliminate noise (switchable to unbalanced)
- 33 Hz subsonic filter eliminates extreme low bass (rolloff point can be adjusted with optional module)
- EQ points: 31.5, 45, 63, 90, 125, 180, 250, 500, 1000, 2000, 4000, 8000, 16000 Hz
- frequency response: 10 to 100,000 Hz
- signal-to-noise ratio: 110 dB at full output
- fuse rating: 2 amps
- size: 8-13/16"H x 9-5/16"W x 1-5/16"D
- weight: 3-1/4 pounds
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Description: The EQS is a 6-channel equalizer/line driver. There are are dedicated 7-band graphic equalizers for the front and rear outputs, and a 6-band graphic equalizer for the subwoofer output.
Dual Bandwidth Equalization: A total of 13 bands are available over two bandwidths:
- Front/Rear EQ: Two 7-band equalizers feed the front and rear outputs; the center frequencies of both are 120 Hz, 160 Hz, 250 Hz, 500 Hz, 1 kHz, 2 kHz, and 10 kHz. The rotary knobs adjust the signal +/-12 dB. There's a notch at each knob's center position so it's easy to return to the flat setting.
- Subwoofer EQ: A 6-band 1/3 octave equalizer feeds the subwoofer outputs; the center frequencies are 31.5 Hz, 40 Hz, 50 Hz, 63 Hz, 80 kHz, and 100 kHz. The rotary knobs adjust the signal +/-12 dB. There's a notch at each knob's center position so it's easy to return to the flat setting.
Line Driver: To achieve the best possible signal to noise ratio and dynamic range from your amplifier, the built-in line driver can increase the head unit's output voltage up to 18 dB (9.5 volts RMS/13 volts peak).
Input Gain: The input gains for the front, rear, and sub channels are set independently. The range is adjustable +/-12 dB to match the source output to the EQ input.
Output Level: The +20 dB maximum output level allows you to increase the head unit's line voltage to the top of your amp's input range; up to 9.5 volts RMS/13 volts peak.
Balanced Inputs: Using the balanced differential input circuit cancels noise picked up in the transmission line between the EQS the the source unit.
Ground Isolation: The power supply ground is switchable, in case of ground loop noise. The factory position is fully isolated (typically the best choice), but can be changed to Ground or 200Ω.
Auto Select Inputs: The EQS automatically switches the inputs to maximize the equalization controls, whether you use two, four, or six preamp inputs.
Speaker Level Inputs: The 4-channel speaker level inputs are compatible with most factory installed radios, even most Bose systems.
Terminal Blocks: The power/ground/remote terminal and the speaker level input terminals are removable; the wiring is attached to the block, then the block is plugged into the EQS. The terminal block will accommodate wire up to 12 gauge.
Subsonic Filter: The subsonic filter crossover point is 33 Hz. The crossover point is governed by a replaceable chip, so it can be modified.
- Maximum Line Input: 15 volts RMS
- Maximum Speaker Level Input: 100 watts/channel
- Maximum Output: 9.5 volts RMS/13 volts peak
- Frequency response: 10 Hz-100 kHz; ±1 dB
- THD: 0.003%
- S/N Ratio: 110dB
- Balanced Input Noise Rejection: 60 dB
- Input Impedance: 20 kΩ
- Output Impedance: 150 ohms
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Product reviews from the Crutchfield Labs
by Charlie Pastorfield
Crutchfield A/V editor and longtime musician Charlie put a new system in his convertible a little while back, and made it sound perfect with the help of AudioControl.