Fostex T50RP Mk3
Our take on the Fostex T50RP Mk3 by Crutchfield's Jeff Miller
The Fostex T50RP Mk3 headphones sport a functional, semi-open design.
A studio staple — and a hit among headphone enthusiasts
I'm psyched that we're finally carrying the Fostex T50RP Mk3 studio headphones — it's a big win for both our pro audio customers and my fellow hardcore headphone fanatics. Whether you create music or just deeply appreciate it, you'll be hard-pressed to find a more respected set of headphones. You can trace Fostex's RP Series lineage back to recording studios in the 1970s.
And they haven't changed much since then. Just check out that refreshingly retro and functional look. Their semi-open design provides a bit of sonic airiness, while still keeping sound from escaping around live mics.
Classic, midrange-forward sound
These headphones use a planar magnetic driver system with Fostex's classic Regular Phase diaphragms. They produce clear sound across a relatively wide frequency range. But they really excel in the mids. That's especially helpful for the mixing process, because that's where the human voice and other melodic instruments mainly live.
And they are also legendary among serious headphone enthusiasts, for the obvious reason — their detailed sound. (Plus one reason I'm only allowed to acknowledge with a wink: please remember that altering or modifying these headphones could void the warranty.)
- over-the-ear studio headphones
- widely used and respected by both sound engineers and headphone enthusiasts
- semi-open design combines natural airiness of open-back headphones with better noise isolation
- planar magnetic drivers deliver a well-balanced, accurate sound ideal for music creation
- Regular Phase (RP) diaphragms produce clear, detailed mids and highs
- high-grade copper foil voice coil
- powerful neodymium magnet array moves diaphragm quickly for superb dynamics
Accessories and Specs:
- two detachable cables:
- 9.8-foot cable with 1/4" headphone plug
- 47" cable with 3.5mm mini plug
- locking system keeps cable securely connected to headphones
- padded headband and detachable ear pads
- frequency response: 15-35,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 92 dB
- impedance: 50 ohms
- weight: 11.1 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- 1 Pair headphones
- 3 Meter Y-type cord (with detachable 1/4" stereo plug on one end and 2-pin removable plugs on other ends)
- 1.2 Meter Y-type cord (with 1/8" plug on one end and 2-pin removable plugs on other ends)
- Owner's manual
Why Shop With Us?10 Reasons.
Overview: The Fostex RPmk3 series headphones are the successor to the reputed RPmk2 series monitor headphones, which have been used in professional recording studios around the world for more than 30 years. Their unique planar-magnetic (orthodynamic) driver utilizes Fostex's proprietary Regular Phase (RP) technology. This technology uses a diaphragm driver with a copper foil etched polyimide film and a powerful neodymium magnet, capable of handling a maximum input level of up to 3000 mW. The housing, ear pads, and head pad have all been redesigned to get maximum performance from the RP driver while providing maximum comfort for the listener.
- Driver: Regular Phase (Orthodynamic)
- Impedance: 50Ω
- Sensitivity: 91 dB (1 kHz @ 1 mW)
- Frequency Response: 20 Hz - 35 kHz
- Maximum Input Power: 3000 mW
- Weight: 11.1 oz.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
1 question already asked
You don't need a headphone amp to run these Fostex headphones. They can plug directly into a headphone port on a device like a receiver or portable audio player and get all the power they need to sound nice! My Bio: http://www.crutchfield.com/Support/Bio.aspx?bio=101 [ Paul Jun 11, 2018 ] Staff