Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Active 3-Way Electronic Crossover
Item # 20603KX3 | MFR # 03KX3
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Kicker KX3 by Crutchfield's Erin Blanton
Kicker's KX3 electronic crossover is designed to serve as the "frequency traffic cop" in both types of 3-way systems:
- a system in which the front speakers, rear speakers, and subwoofer are amplified separately;
- a tweeter/midrange/subwoofer component system, in which highs, midrange, and lows are amplified separately.
You can adjust the front/rear crossovers (high- and low-pass) from 35 to 400 Hz (18 dB per octave); in addition, the front channels feature a 20X multiplier that switches the crossover to tweeter range (700 to 8000 Hz). The subwoofer outputs offer a low-pass crossover (variable 45-250 Hz at 18 dB per octave).
You can adjust the bass boost (up to 18 dB at 40 Hz) with the supplied wired remote control. A switchable subsonic filter (25 Hz at 24 dB per octave) trims out the extreme low frequencies which your amp and subwoofer waste energy trying to reproduce. Three pairs of 5-volt outputs are available for connection to your amplifiers.
Important Note: This unit has no built-in amplifier must be used in conjunction with one or more external amplifiers.
- two sets of inputs
- 3 pairs of outputs (lows/mids/highs or front/rear/sub)
- level controls
- front outputs: variable 40-300 Hz (18 dB per octave) or 700-8000 Hz (with 20X multiplier)
- rear outputs: variable 40-300 Hz (18 dB per octave)
- subwoofer output: variable 45-250 Hz (18 dB per octave)
- bass boost (up to 18 dB at 40 Hz) with wired remote control
- subsonic filter (25 Hz at 24 dB per octave)
- signal-to-noise ratio 110 dB
- 7-5/16"W x 1-3/16"H x 9"D
- 1-year warranty
Exactly what I was looking for. Really cleaned up the sound and allowed easy adjustment with the remote. Couldn't be happier.
What's in the Box:
- Active 3-Way electronic crossover with 2A fuse inserted into chassis
- 1 Replacement 2A fuse
- 1 Remote bass level control
- 1 Mounting bracket
- 18.5' Remote bass level control cable
- Four 1" self-tapping screws
- Two 3/8" self-tapping screws
- 1 Silica gel packet
Kicker KX3 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Overview: The KX3 is an active 3-way electronic crossover. You can independently adjust the front high-pass, rear high-pass, and low-pass crossovers. In addition, the output can be adjusted up to 5 volts for low system noise.
Note: Since the KX3 does not have a built-in amplifier, it must be used in conjunction with one or more external amplifiers.
High-pass Crossovers: You can independently adjust the front and rear high-pass crossovers from 35 to 400 Hz. Each crossover has a slope of 18 dB per octave.
Low-pass Crossover: The low-pass crossover is adjustable from 45 to 250 Hz and has a slope of 18 dB per octave.
Frequency Multiplier: The front channels feature a 20X multiplier that switches the crossover to tweeter range (700 to 8000 Hz).
Remote Bass Level Control: The remote bass level control has a narrow band adjustment centered at 40 Hz, variable from 0dB to +18dB. Using the mounting bracket, the supplied remote bass level control can be mounted in any convenient location under your vehicle's dash. The remote bass level control is 2.204" wide, 1.187" tall, and 2.311" deep. The included cable is 18.5' in length.
Subsonic Filter: The subsonic filter prevents frequencies below the audio range from being amplified. This allows the connected amplifiers to run more efficiently with increased power output. The subsonic filter is set at 25 Hz and has a slope of 24 dB per octave.
- Front Input: left and right RCA audio jacks
- Rear Input: left and right RCA audio jacks
- +12V: set-screw terminal that will accept up to 12-gauge wire
- Turn On: set-screw terminal that will accept up to 12-gauge wire
- Ground: set-screw terminal that will accept up to 12-gauge wire
- Front Output: left and right RCA audio jacks
- Rear Output: left and right RCA audio jacks
- Sub Output: left and right RCA audio jacks
- Remote: phone-type jack for use with supplied remote bass level control
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.