Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
5-channel marine amplifier
70 watts RMS x 4 + 210 watts RMS x 1
Our take on the Kicker MX700.5 by Crutchfield's Ken Nail
If you want great sound in your boat, you'll love Kicker's MX Series amplifiers. Based on Kicker's high-end ZX car amplifiers, they set the standard for reliable marine performance, with gasket-sealed, rubberized endcaps that keep out water, and a conformal-coated circuit board that resists humidity and moisture.
The MX700.5 5-channel amp gives you the powerful sound you want out on the water, driving four full-range speakers with 70 watts per channel, and pumping up a subwoofer with up to 420 watts from the 5th channel. No inflated "peak power" ratings here you can trust that this amp's CEA-2006 compliant rating reflects a true measure of its capabilities. Efficient heat sinks and rugged internal components ensure reliable operation and clean power output when the volume is cranked.
The built-in variable frequency filters adjust the amp's output to get the most out of your speaker setup, whether you're adjusting for the full-range speakers or subwoofers. The remote bass boost control lets you dial in the exact amount of low-end bump you're looking for, even from the boat's cockpit.
What's in the Box:
- 5-Channel marine amplifier
- Three 30A ATC fuses (inserted in amp)
- Rubber fuse cover (installed)
- 3 Spare 30A ATC fuses
- Dash mounted remote bass control
- Mounting bracket for remote bass control
- 16.25' Remote bass control cable
- 2 Self-tapping mounting screws for remote bass control (Length=10mm)
- 2 RCA Dummy plugs
- Crimp-on ring terminal (for 18-22 gauge wire)
- 2 Crimp-on ring terminals (for 4-gauge wire)
- 4 Self-tapping screws (Length=20mm)
- 4 Self-adhesive rubber screw gaskets
- Owner's Manual
- Warranty/registration card
- Certified Power certificate
- 5-channel marine amplifier
- 70 watts RMS x 4 + 210 watts x 1 at 4 ohms (85 watts RMS x 4 + 420W x 1 at 2 ohms)
- 165 watts RMS x 2 in bridged mode (4-ohm stable in bridged mode)
- gasket-sealed, rubberized endcaps and conformal-coated circuit board
- variable high-pass filters (50-200 Hz, 12 dB per octave) for full-range channels
- variable low-pass filter (50-200 Hz, 24 dB per octave) for the subwoofer channel
- variable bass boost (0-18 dB at 40 Hz), subwoofer channel only
- Class-D subwoofer amplifier
- remote-mount bass control
- top-mounted controls
- CEA-2006 compliant
- preamp-level inputs
- fuse rating: 40A x 2
- 4-gauge power and ground leads recommended wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
- 20-1/16"W x 2-3/8"H x 10-1/16"D
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Features and Specs
|RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels)||70 x 4|
|Frequency Response at Rated RMS Power||20-20k Hz|
|THD at Rated RMS Power||1%|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||95 dB|
|Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels)||N/A|
|Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels)||85 x 4|
|Bridged Power (Watts x Channels)||165 x 2|
|Minimum Impedance Bridged||4|
|Minimum Impedance Unbridged||2|
|Low-Pass Crossover Frequency||50-200 Hz|
|Low-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||24dB|
|High-Pass Crossover Frequency||50-200 Hz|
|High-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12dB|
|Bass Boost||0-18 dB|
|Bass Boost Frequency||40 Hz|
|Fuse Rating||30 x 3|
|Speaker Level Inputs||No|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
Marine Amplifier: The Kicker MX700.5 Marine Amplifier takes the basic design of the ZX amplifier series and adapts it for use on the water. The amp is equipped with a gasket-sealed cover for the top-mounted controls, as well as gasket-sealed endcaps. All of the RCA inputs have rubber caps, and the fuses are protected from moisture with a silicone boot. The circuit board has been sprayed with a special corrosion-deterring, conformal coating. The power inputs and speaker outputs have been designed to meet or exceed U.S. Coast Guard and American Boat and Yacht Council's standards for wired connections.
CEA 2006 Compliant: The MX700.5's power ratings are measured according to the strict standards dictated by the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards allow you to accurately compare the rated power output of all CEA 2006-compliant amplifiers, even if they come from different brands. Manufacturers who adhere to the standards can display the CEA 2006 logo on their products and packaging.
Kicker "Livin' Loud" Certified Power Certificate: The amplifier comes with a certificate that indicates the total maximum wattage of the particular amplifier, along with the model number, serial number, tested date, and whether the amplifier passed the total harmonic distortion, signal-to-noise ratio, and protection circuit tests.
Amplifier Design: The MX700.5 combines a Class AB amplifier design for the front and rear channels with a Class D design for the subwoofer channel.
Top-Panel Controls: The top panel of the amplifier contains several controls. These controls are flush with the top panel, and have a rubber gasketed cover to protect the controls from moisture. The controls include:
- Gain: You can independently set the input sensitivity for the front and rear channels.
- Crossovers: The MX700.5 has two internal crossovers for the front and rear channels that can be independently set for high-pass operation or turned off for full-range operation. Another crossover (for the sub amplifier) is for constant low-pass operation only. When engaged, the crossovers are continually variable from 50 to 200 Hz. The front/rear filters have a slope of 12dB per octave, and the sub amp's low-pass filter has a 24dB/octave slope.
- KICKEQ Bass Boost: The MX700.5's KICKEQ bass boost circuit provides a variable 0-18dB signal boost at 40Hz to the subwoofer channel only.
Remote Bass Level Control: The dash-mounted wired remote unit allows you to adjust the output level of the subwoofer amplifier. The unit comes with a 26'-3" cable, allowing you to control the amp even if it is installed in the trunk of the vehicle. The remote control has the following dimensions: 2.199" W x 1.715" D (2.196" including the knob) x 1.186" H.
Protection Circuitry: The MX700.5's protection circuitry guards against accidents and undesired operation. The amp is protected by thermal protection, voltage protection, and short circuit protection. The Protection/Power LED on the top of the amp glows green when the amplifier is connected correctly and the protection has not been engaged. If the Protection/Power LED illuminates red, the amp's protection circuit has been engaged and the amplifier is in protect mode until the problem is resolved.
Left Side of Amplifier:
- +12V (power): gold-plated screw terminal
- REM (remote turn-on): gold-plated screw terminal (accepts up to 8 gauge wire)
- GND (ground): gold-plated screw terminal
- Fuses: three 30-amp fuses
Right Side of Amplifier:
- Speaker Outputs: 4 pairs of gold-plated screw terminals (accepts up to 8 gauge wire)
- RCA Inputs: Three sets of gold-plated RCA input jacks (Amp 1, Amp 2, and Subwoofer)
- Sub: One pair of gold-plated screw terminals (accepts up to 8 gauge wire)
- Remote Bass: Multi-pin input for supplied remote base control cable (it is the same as an S-Video jack)
Amp Wiring Kit: It is recommended that a 4-gauge amp wiring kit with this amplifier. You must make sure that the fuse included with the wiring kit is at least 90 amps.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.