Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
SiriusXM Onyx Plus
Dock & Play satellite radio with vehicle kit (subscription sold separately by SiriusXM)
Item # 220SXPL1V1 | MFR # SXPL1V1
Offers & Financing
Our take on the SiriusXM Onyx Plus by Crutchfield's Jon Paulette
SiriusXM radio for the road
The Onyx Plus Dock & Play satellite radio gives you everything SiriusXM has to offer in a compact, portable package. You'll also get the accessories you'll need for installation in your car — a car cradle and antenna, dash and vent mounts, and a cable to connect to your car radio's auxiliary input. If your car's radio doesn't have an aux input, the included SiriusXM PowerConnect™ system will deliver clear sound through your vehicle's FM radio. If you have an older car, the Onyx will also work with a cassette adapter (not included).
Everything about the Onyx Plus is designed to help you get the most out of your satellite radio subscription. From the big control knob to the vivid color display to the high-tech features, this Dock & Play radio is made to make your favorite SiriusXM programming even more enjoyable. The Onyx Plus also gives you even more programming, with available access to SiriusXM Xtra, which gives you 20 additional music, sports, and entertainment channels, plus SiriusXM Latino, a collection of Spanish-language channels.
What you like, the way you like it
You can view program and channel information on the color display, along with great graphics like channel logos and album art. With TuneStart, you can start a song from the beginning, while TuneMix lets you combine your favorite channels into a music channel that's uniquely yours. If you missed something (or simply want to hear it again), you can pause, rewind, and replay on your favorite channels for up to 30 minutes. You can also use TuneScan™ to scan and select songs you've already played on your favorite channels.
If you're switching back between two shows (music and a sporting event, for example), you can use the One-Touch Jump™ feature to jump back to the previous channel. If you're a sports fan, you'll never miss a score with the Sports Ticker. And you can always access weather and traffic for the city of your choice with the press of a button.
Note: A subscription is required and sold separately by SiriusXM. Satellite radio service is available only within Canada and the lower 48 states — not available in Hawaii or U.S. territories. Limited service available in Alaska and Puerto Rico.
It's exactly what I needed to replace my express receiver. Easy installation, great graphics, amazing clarity. Fantastic product.
Joseph E., Louisville, KY
What's in the Box:
- Portable SiriusXM Satellite Radio Receiver
- Vehicle cradle dock
- Magnetic vehicle antenna (w/ attached 22.75' cable terminated by single SMB connector)
- PowerConnect FM transmitter/cigarette lighter adapter (w/ attached 55" DC cord)
- 4' Stereo minijack cable (w/ a right-angle male 3.5mm connector on each end)
- Self-adhesive mount
- Vent mount
- 2 Extended vent clamps
- Rubber antenna cable wedge
- Alcohol Prep Pad
- 4 Machine screws
- Quick Start Guide
- Accessory Guide
- Limited Warranty Information
- "Additional User Documents/Warning" note
- Dock & Play SiriusXM satellite radio
- color display shows album art, artist, song or program, and channel information
- PowerConnect system includes auxiliary output cable and power adapter/FM transmitter
- kit includes docking station and roof-mount antenna for your vehicle, plus an adhesive dash mount and vent mount
- enjoy 20-plus channels of additional music, sports, entertainment with SiriusXM Xtra, plus SiriusXM Latino Spanish language channels (subscription required)
- store up to 20 of your favorite channels for one-touch access
- start songs from the beginning with TuneStart
- blend your favorite music channels into your own unique blend with TuneMix
- catch up on the latest sports scores with Sports Ticker
- dimensions: 4-1/2" W x 2-7/16" H x 3/4" D
- warranty: 90 days
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
SiriusXM Onyx Plus Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Dock & Play SiriusXM Radio: The SiriusXM onyX Plus Dock & Play Radio + Vehicle Kit provides SiriusXM Satellite Radio programming in your car, truck, van, or SUV. The SiriusXM onyX Plus Dock & Play Radio lets you pause, rewind, & replay live SiriusXM Radio. You can view the artist name, song or program title and channel info on its multi-line graphic display. And with optional accessories you can listen to the onyX Plus Dock & Play Radio in a second vehicle, in your home or office, or even outdoors (optional accessories sold separately). All with just one SiriusXM subscription.
Note: The SiriusXM onyX Plus Dock & Play Radio + Vehicle Kit requires a SiriusXM subscription.
SiriusXM Satellite Radio Programming: The SiriusXM onyX Plus satellite radio receiver supports SiriusXM programming with access to XM & Sirius Satellite Radio stations. SiriusXM offers more than 150 channels of exclusive music, news, entertainment sports, talk programming. Available SiriusXM subscription packages include (visit SiriusXM.com for a complete list of subscription options & channel guide).
- SiriusXM All Access
- SiriusXM Select
- SiriusXM Mostly Music
- SiriusXM News, Sports, & Talk
- SiriusXM Family-Friendly
Note: SiriusXM Satellite Radio operates on the XM Network. However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
Large Multi-Line Color Display: The SiriusXM onyX Plus satellite radio receiver features a large multi-line full-color display which lets you view artist name, song title, Album Art, channel information, and Channel Logo. You can adjust the brightness and contrast of the unit's display.
Real-Time Channel Guide w/ Categories + Presets: The unit's Real-Time Channel Guide allows you to browse programs, artists, and songs playing on other channels, without having to change the channel you are currently listening to. Channels are organized into categories to make it easier for you to find the ones that suit your taste. You can scan a category and listen to each channel for 10 seconds before the onyX Plus automatically tunes to the next channel. You can save and enjoy fast access to up to 20 of your favorite SiriusXM Satellite Radio channels as presets.
Smart Favorites + Tune Start/Scan/Mix: You can identify 18 of your 20 preset stations as Smart Favorites. Smart Favorites features TuneStart, TuneScan, and TuneMix.
- TuneStart: TuneStart allows you to choose whether to start a song from the beginning or from its live point when tuning to a Smart Favorite channel.
- TuneScan: TuneScan plays the first 10 seconds of each song that has not been listened to from each of the channels which you have saved as Smart Favorites.
- TuneMix: TuneMix plays songs in a unique mix from the music channels you have saved as Smart Favorites, allowing you to build a blended channel from as few as 3 to as many as 18 music channels. TuneMix plays the songs that have aired on those Smart Favorite music channels in a shuffle type format.
Instant Replay: The SiriusXM onyX Plus supports the SiriusXM's Instant Replay function, so you can pause, rewind, and replay up to 60 minutes of current channel. You'll also be able to rewind and replay the last 30 minutes of content from Smart Favorite channels (up to 18).
Alerts & Ticker: The SiriusXM onyX Plus offers Song/Artist and Game/Score Alerts, plus a Sports Ticker.
- Song/Artist Alert: Alerts can be set for your favorite songs, so that whenever the song begins to play on any music channel, you will be alerted and given the opportunity to tune to the channel. Alerts can also be set for your favorite artists, so that whenever a song by that artist begins to play on any music channel, you will be alerted and given the opportunity to tune to the channel. You can save up to 100 song/artist alerts.
- Game/Score Alert: Alerts can be set for your favorite sports teams so that whenever SiriusXM begins broadcasting a game in which your favorite sports team is playing, you will be alerted and given the opportunity to tune to the game. When you set a Game Alert for your favorite sports teams, a Score Alert is automatically set also. If you are not listening to the game, you will be alerted each time there is a new score in the game, and given the opportunity to tune to the game. Score Alerts can be turned off if you do not wish to receive them.
- Sports Ticker: Sports Ticker shows status of games in progress including current score, and the final score for games which have ended within the last 24 hours. For games in progress, it also shows the channel number if the game is being broadcast by SiriusXM. The Sports Ticker is displayed on the main display screen, and depending upon how many teams have been selected, the Sports Ticker scrolls across the screen. Whenever a score occurs, the scoring team is shown in yellow in the Sports Ticker.
Direct w/ One-Touch Jump: The Direct button allows you directly tune in a SiriusXM Satellite Radio station, using the keypad (0-9) on the front-panel of the SiriusXM satellite radio receiver. The One-Touch Jump function allows you to directly access traffic or weather of the 22 most congested cities, or go back to the previous channel to which you were listening.
Parental Controls: You can easily lock and unlock channels or an entire category with mature content. The Parent Control feature is protect by a 4-digit code.
Auto Shut-Off: When the onyX Plus is in the vehicle dock, and Auto Shut Off has been enabled, the plug & play radio will automatically shut off after 8 hours of inactivity, when no buttons have pressed. This features prevents the vehicle battery from being discharged if you forget to turn the unit off.
Vehicle Dock: The SiriusXM onyX Plus satellite radio receiver comes supplied with a vehicle dock which allows you to listen to SiriusXM Satellite Radio in your vehicle. The vehicle dock has color-coded connectors to assist you in connecting the cables to the correct connector. The vehicle dock also has a rear-panel wire-guide that can help you organize the cables and wires connected to the dock. The SiriusXM onyX Plus Satellite Radio receiver's vehicle dock provides three connection options to transfer SiriusXM Satellite Radio audio to your vehicle's audio system.
- PowerConnect: The SiriusXM onyX Plus Satellite Radio receiver comes supplied with the PowerConnect FM transmitter and cigarette lighter adapter which allows the XM Satellite Radio receiver to wirelessly transmit audio to your vehicle's in-dash headunit over and FM frequency. You can choose from any FM frequency between: 88.1 and 107.9 MHz. You can store up to 5 FM stations so you can quickly access the stations which give you the best audio reception when using the PowerConnect. The PowerConnect FM transmitter and cigarette lighter adapter simply plugs into the power port of the included vehicle dock and the cigarette lighter or 12-volt accessory port of your vehicle.
- Auxiliary: The SiriusXM onyX Plus Satellite Radio receiver's vehicle dock has a minijack audio output (3.5mm) to connect the unit directly to your in-dash headunit's auxiliary input (if applicable), using the supplied stereo minijack cable. When using the line output jack, you can adjust the level to match your headunit's other sources.
- FM Direct (optional): The FM Direct Adaptor (607FMDA25, sold separately) connects directly in-line with your vehicle's existing AM/FM antenna input (motorola) and the XM Satellite receiver's vehicle dock FM output (2.5mm). This optimizes the XM receiver's built-in FM modulator to your vehicle's radio, especially in regions with a high density of FM radio stations and few open FM channels.
Magnetic Antenna: The unit comes supplied with a magnetic antenna that is designed to be run outside of the vehicle and placed on the roof of your vehicle. The magnetic antenna will adhere to your vehicle's sheet metal.
Mounting: The mounting location of the onyX Plus should be easily accessible for controlling the unit and provide good visibility of the unit's display, and should not be located where it will be in direct sunlight, which will affect the visibility of the display screen. The SiriusXM onyX Plus Satellite Receiver comes with two mounting options.
- Self-Adhesive Dash Mount: The onyX Plus includes a self-adhesive plastic mount which allows you to place the unit on your vehicle's dash. The self-adhesive dash-mount allows you to swivel and adjust the unit for better visibility.
- Vent-Mount: The onyX Plus also includes a plastic mount which allows to you to clip the unit onto one of your vehicle's dash vents.
Note: When mounting the onyX Plus in your vehicle, choose a location where it will not block your vision, interfere with the controls, or obstruct the air bag.
Optional Pro-Fit VSM: The onyX Plus can be mounted using an optional Pro.Fit Vehicle Specific Mount (042VSM) and the TS-01 adapter (042TS01); both sold separately. Please consult the Crutchfield Vehicle Selector to see if there is a Pro.Fit VSM to fit your vehicle.
Optional Accessories: A vehicle kit, boombox, and additional home kit is available for the SiriusXM onyX Plus radio.
- Home Kit: An optional home kit (220XADH2, sold separately) allows you to listen to SiriusXM Radio in your home or at the office.
- Boombox: The optional Portable Speaker Dock (220SXABB2, sold separately) lets you enjoy SiriusXM Satellite Radio programming in your home, at the office, or on the deck.
- Additional Vehicle Kit: An additional vehicle kit (220XADV2, sold separately) can be purchased to install the SiriusXM onyX satellite radio receiver in another vehicle.
onyX Plus Receiver:
- Width = 4.535"
- Height = 2.385"
- Depth = 0.725"
- Width = 3.995"
- Height = 2.505"
- Depth = 1.205" (1.535" w/ cables)
Receiver in Vehicle Dock:
- Width = 4.535"
- Height = 3.065"
- Depth = 1.325" (1.685" w/ cables)
- Width = 1.395"
- Height = 0.565"
- Depth = 1.735"
- Cable Length = 22.75'
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
We like Sirius for uninterrupted listening on road. little or no fade [ Kevin May 23, 2017 ]
Gotta have satellite radio in the car! Installed in a 2001 Tahoe, with an already-upgraded head unit that did not include SXM compatibility. Also, so I can move the radio from car to office to home. [ Justin Apr 22, 2017 ]
Needed to transfer a lifetime subscription after car was junked. [ Shashank Apr 13, 2017 ]
Good product [ Judy Mar 02, 2017 ]
Easy to install, reasonably priced especially with the sale, attractive unit which displays album covers in color. This radio will allow me to continue enjoying Sirius XM service as I am a long time fan. I recently purchased a vehicle which would require purchasing a fairly expensive adaptor and also taking apart the dash, in order to use the AM/SAT button on the in dash factory radio to receive Sirius XM programs. [ C Mark Dec 18, 2016 ]
needed to upgrade from a 10 year old reciever [ Chris Nov 26, 2016 ]
Update for older radio [ GILBERT Nov 19, 2016 ]
Wife wanted up-to-date SiriusXM in her car as the stock radio satellite was old and not getting all channels. [ Desert_Flyer Oct 23, 2016 ]
likey [ KIMBER Aug 22, 2016 ]
NFL games on the go!! [ Mike Jul 03, 2016 ]
I chose this item based on the reviews and the features. [ James H. Jun 19, 2016 ]
Larry was very helpful need this unit for are RV . Putting a Sirius radio in the dash of are 2017 coachmen RV would take major work to the dash. Larry's Bio: http://www.crutchfield.com/Support/Bio.aspx?bio=159 [ Dan May 27, 2016 ]
Like the features of this unit and prefer to use it's controls and an aux input on my stereo instead of the integrated controls on the stereo itself. [ Randall May 21, 2016 ]
I already have a Sirius account for other vehicles. I am adding this to another vehicle. [ Tracy Feb 01, 2016 ]
Already have one and a friend liked it so much I bought one for his birthday! [ Brent Jan 09, 2016 ]
price [ Frederick Jan 08, 2016 ]
Ease of installation and features [ James Dec 12, 2015 ]
8 questions already asked
Had the same problem. I put an EQ between it and my head and it boosted the output but I'm now sure if all EQ's would do that. I used a Cadence CEQ773 from Sonic Electronix but they don't seem to carry them anymore. Cheers. [ Duncan Jan 11, 2017 ]
My onyx plus is routed to the auxiliary port on my radio so the volume is controlled by the volume output of the radio/speakers My husbands docking station is attached to his radio fm station so it is controlled through his radio volume output. Hope this helps. [ cynthia Jan 10, 2017 ]
Yes, The same small socket as cell phones (I think its the 8mm type) to allow you to plug in a external receiver or headphones (Not the old style very large jack like large headphones. [ George Jul 19, 2016 ]
There is a standard 3.5mm jack for Audio Out on the cradle itself. Traditionally this is plugged into your vehicle's head unit, or your home entertainment receiver. I don't see why you couldn't plug a set of headphones it. [ Gregg Jul 19, 2016 ]
I have mine plugged into the iPod input on my stock radio and it sounds great! [ James Apr 04, 2016 ]
Mine is plugged into the aux in the front of the system [ Eric Apr 04, 2016 ]
Hey Rick, Same radio just one is for a car, the other home. [ KEVIN Dec 17, 2015 ]
I haven't done it with this unit, but for others, the home kit is like a dock the reciever plugs into. I assume that's the case here. [ KEVIN Dec 17, 2015 ]
I think the units are the same. The kits determine power source and antenna mount options, as appropriate. [ Paul Dec 17, 2015 ]
There's one radio; the two different kits have the necessary pieces to connect to car and home stereo. I bought both kits plus one XM radio and can enjoy on the road or inside my home - just move the XM from one holster to the other. I love it! [ Michael Dec 17, 2015 ]
The best portable SiriusXm player on the market. [ BENJAMIN Jun 20, 2015 ]
That's all you need. Once you've got the XM installed (power and antenna) just attach it to your receiver Aux jack with the patch cord included. Power up both and select Aux input - XM should be coming out of your speakers. [ Michael Jun 11, 2015 ]
Yes, it will plug into a 3.5mm aux connector, like a headphone-size plug. [ KEVIN Jun 09, 2015 ]
I use mine through the aux input. The Onyx has an adjustable output voltage to make the volume similar to the FM section. [ Ronald V. Jun 09, 2015 ]
Yes. I use both the aux cord and the FM receiver depending on the car my XM radio is in. [ James Jun 09, 2015 ]
As long as you have an auxiliary or accessory input, this will work with no problems. I connect mine thru the auxiliary input on my Honda Pilot. [ Paul Jun 09, 2015 ]
Yes. It will plug into that same aux input that you'd plug an MP3 player into. [ Darian Jun 09, 2015 ]
Yes, input is from standard headphone style jack. [ Christopher Jun 09, 2015 ]
the little plug you hooking for your iPod will work for the XM send the auxiliary hole if that don't work you can use it on an FM channel but it's better to put it in a auxiliary cord it comes with one if you buy the car kit [ joe Jun 09, 2015 ]
Not sure. I have the Premium Package that includes all the sports channels. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. [ Hunter Apr 21, 2015 ]
I'm not sure. I had the plan that was the least expensive which had music and MLB, which was why I bought the unit in the first place. [ James Apr 07, 2015 ]
Not sure what you mean by "including a sports ticker." On the unit, you may tune in to any channel broadcast by Sirius or XM or the combined SiriusXM; however, you need to subscribe to All Access Programming in order to listen to sports radio broadcast programming or Talk Show like Howard Stern. [ RICKY Apr 05, 2015 ]
I didn't get any sports on my Onyx but, I think for the ticker to work you'd have to. Hope this helped ?! [ KEVIN Apr 02, 2015 ]
Actually, I also found the answer in the owner's manual online here: "**Game and Score Alerts, and Sports Ticker, depend on the subscription package, which must include the play-by-play channels of the desired sports leagues. Subscription sold separately." So no sports channels, no tickee (ticker) [ Tiger-Heli Apr 02, 2015 ]
NO sports ticker. Yes it will work with mostly music [ joe Apr 02, 2015 ]
NO, if you only get music, you only get music. No comedy, no news, no ticker, just music. [ Christopher Apr 02, 2015 ]
IMounted antenna right behind the windshield. Worked wrll but i knocked it around cleaning heavy snow off the van. [ Rolf Dec 21, 2015 ]
Depends on where you wanna mount it. Some people just put it outside of their driver's side door each time they use it. I opted to mount it on the back of the roof right above the back windshield, running the cable in through the trunk (as explained in the user's manual). I used a small flat screwdriver and tucked the cable in as I went, and it actually turned out really well and was pretty easy. As far as the antenna itself, the magnet is SO strong that it won't have any issue mounting anywhere on the roof and staying [ Darian Jul 01, 2014 ]
It's easy place the antenna on the of the roof near the top of the windshield. Center it and tuck the wire underneath the wind shield strip and work your way down and inside the vehicle . Plug into dock and roll up the access wire and zip tie it and hide it out of the way, maybe under the dashboard .one thing to keep in mind is .. If you have a compass on your riearview mirror, the strong magnet in the antenna will effect the compass. I found that out when my compass started reading random directions when I first Iinstalled the my antenna. So I repositioned it to the side , on top of the door. And it wiotks. I hope this helps. [ Nathaniel Jun 30, 2014 ]
We didn't install it outside (it is a company car and I didn't want to risk any damage). The antenna is on the dashboard and gets reasonably good reception. [ JANICE L Jun 30, 2014 ]
The antenna is just a small box not much more than 1" X 1" with a long wire (approx. 20 ft. of wire) that plugs into the receiver. The box is magnetic and mounts on any surface that points skyward. You merely route the wire somewhere that it can be hidden and run it through a door or hatch opening where there is a soft foam gasket and stick the antenna to the car. Hardest part of the antenna install is finding somewhere to hide all the extra wire. Good luck and enjoy! [ JONATHAN Jun 30, 2014 ]
I made an effort top completely hide the antenna wire, this envolved some time. I would estimate it took about 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour. I decided to have the controls located in the center consel, also hidden from normal view. I snaked the wire under the carpeting and drilled a small hole in the bottom of the consel to bring the antenna wire in. Very happy with reception and the advise on purchasing the Sirius XM Onyx Plus from the represenative, Ethan, I spoke to prior to the purchase. [ Dennis Jun 30, 2014 ]
It's relatively easy. The antenna attaches magnetically, can be removed, and doesn't move around while driving. The part that can be tricky is running the cable from the antenna into your car. Around the windshield you can tuck it under the weather stripping. I used the seam between the windshield pillar and the fender to hide it, then ran it down the inside front of the door cavity, behind the hinges, then under the door sill, under the drivers seat, then tucked up under the bottom of the center console, and up into the dash to my stereo. It's hidden and out of the way, but did take some time to get configured in easy that I was happy with. [ AARON Jun 30, 2014 ]
Depends on the type of car and where you mount it. I mounted mine on the back of the roof. I have a Kia SUV. Had to remove some pieces to hide the wiring. Maybe 20 minutes of work. [ JOHN Jun 30, 2014 ]
This is very much a universal unit.All that is REALLY required for the unit to install is a working (preferably digital, but not required) FM radio OR an AUX input. (You can also purchase an adapter to connect an AUX input to your cassette tape player if that is all you have.) It helps if you have a cigarette lighter power source as well, but you could always wire one in. (Actually, on a Ford/Lincoln, the cig lighter is probably constant power so I would advise wiring it to the fuse panel.There are three ways to transmit sound to the factory radio: FM Transmitter (easiest, worst sound quality), AUX input (if available - best sound quality, possibly difficult to hid wiring), FM Direct Adapter (additional cost) - goes inline with the antenna cable (May require additional adapters if your car doesn't (likely that is does not) use a standard Motorola connector. [ Tiger-Heli Apr 01, 2015 ]
For details on fit or installation please contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and give you the details on if this will fit and what you will need for an installation in your vehicle. [ Krissy Apr 13, 2014 ] Staff