PowerVision PowerRay Explorer
Our take on the PowerVision PowerRay Explorer by Crutchfield's Eric Angevine
This drone takes you to the underwater fun zone
Crutchfield has carried plenty of drones that let you explore the sky. PowerVision's underwater drones now let you do the same with ponds, lakes, and seashores. The PowerRay Explorer is a highly maneuverable submersible with a 4K camera on board, so you can have a look around the nearest body of water without getting your shoes wet.
The drone is always tethered to the included base station with a 164-foot, 12-pin communication cable. The included remote controller communicates wirelessly with the base station. Stream live 1080p video over Wi-Fi® to your iOS® or Android™ mobile device using PowerVision's free app.
- underwater drone with 4K Ultra HD camera
- 95° field of view
- 1/2.3" CMOS image processor
- 32 GB internal memory
- base station and wireless remote controller
- 164-foot communication cable
- battery charger
- PowerSeeker charging cable
Dimensions and Warranty:
- 10-5/8"W x 5"H x 18-5/16"D
- weight: 8.37 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- PowerRay underwater drone
- Base station
- 164' Communication cable
- Mobile device cradle
- AC power adapter
- 4' AC power cord
- Carry case
- Quick Start Guide
- "In The Box" booklet
- Disclaimer & Safety Instructions
- Warranty & Maintenance Manual
PowerRay Explorer Underwater Drone: PowerVision's PowerRay Explorer is an innovative underwater drone designed for today's recreational fishing enthusiasts and casual hobbyists. It can be used in freshwater, saltwater, or ice fishing - and delivers a thrilling and effortless fish finding experience. The PowerRay Explorer drone utilizes a depth sensor (hydrostatic pressure sensor) and can dive as deep as 30 meters or 98' underwater.
- Depth Capacity & Accuracy: 98' / 30 meters (+/-10cm)
- Max Cruse Speed: 3Kn (1.5m/s) in still water
- Max Sailing Time: 4 hrs (still water/light use), 1.5 hrs (still water/low speed mode), 0.5 hrs (still water/high speed mode)
Note: The PowerRay Explorer does not float and does not utilize GPS.
High Resolution Camera w/ LED Lights: The PowerVision PowerRay Explorer features an integrate high-resolution camera with a 1/2.3" CMOS image sensor and 95° FOV, capable of recording Ultra-HD 4K videos and 12MP still images. Built-in LED lights (3W x 2) with a 6500K color temperature provide up to 450 of lumens for excellent videos and pictures underwater. Video & still images are captured on the PowerRay Explorer's built-in 32GB memory.
- Videos: You can choose to record video in 4K (3840 x 2160 @ 25fps), 1440P (2560 x 1440 @ 50 fps), or FHD (1920 x 1080 @ 30 or 60 fps).
- Photos: You can choose to take pictures at 12M (400 x 3000 in 4:3), 8M (3840 x 2160 in 16:9), or 5M (2560 x 1920 in 4:3). You can also select shooting modes (1/3/5 frames) and ISO settings (Auto/100/200/400/800/1600).
Note: You can download your recorded videos and photos from the PowerRay Explorer's built-in 32GB memory to your Windows or Mac computer using PowerView-PC 22.214.171.124 or PowerView-Mac 1.8.4, and connecting the PowerRay Explorer to your computer via WiFi. It is also possible to have records pictures and video downloaded using the Vision+ App on your Apple iOS 8.0+ or Android OS 5.0+ device.
Base Station: The included Base Station connects to the PowerRay Explorer underwater drone via the supplied 164' (50 meter) communication cable. The Base Station uses built-in WiFi for communication with the included Remote Controller, and your Apple iOS or Android device running the Vision+ App (wireless range up to 262' or 80 meters).
Remote Controller: The included Remote Controller operates the PowerRay Explorer underwater drone wirelessly through the Base Station. The Remote Controller sends commands to the Base Station over WiFi (up to 262' or 80 meters); those commands travel from the Base Station to the PowerRay Explorer through the 233' (70 meter) communication cable. You'll be able to easily operate the PowerRay Explorer through the remote controller. Controllable functions include maneuvering the underwater drone, LED light adjustment, speed adjustment, underwater photography & videography, precision remote bait drop, fixed depth, and more.
Mobile Device Cradle: The included mobile device cradle allows your Apple iOS or Android device to be mounted to the remote controller for use with the Vision+ App, giving you live-view and real-time positioning. The cradle fits Apple iOS and Android devices that measure 1.5" to 5.25" tall in landscape mode.
Vision+ App: Using the Vision+ App (for Apple iOS 8.0+ and Android OS 5.0+), you can view real-time video and positioning in 720p/25fps or 1080p/30fps captured by PowerRay Explorer's integrated camera on a compatible iOS or Android mobile devices (up to 32.8'/10 meters from the Base Station). You'll also receive fish-identifying images, underwater data, and alerts through the app on your mobile device. In addition, you will be able select travel mode, speed, and light settings, as well as operate the integrated 4K UHD camera functions for underwater photography and videography - all through the Vision+ App on your Apple iOS or Android device.
Rechargeable LiPo Batteries: The PowerRay Explorer underwater drone, Base Station, and Remote Controller are all powered by a rechargeable LiPo battery. The batteries of the PowerRay Explorer, Base Station, and Remote Controller can be charged using the included AC power adapter. You can check battery levels through the Vision+ App on your Apple iOS or Android device.
- The PowerRay Explorer underwater drone utilizes a 6400mAh LiPo battery that can last up to 4 hours. It takes approximately 2.5 hours to fully charge the PowerRay Explorer.
- The Base Station uses a 3000mAh LiPo battery that lasts up to 3 hours. It takes approximately 2.5 hours to fully charge the Base Station.
- The Remote Controller features a 3000mAh LiPo battery that can operate continuously for up to 20 hours. It takes approximately 3.5 hours to fully charge the remote controller.
Registration & Activation: Before you can begin exploring with the PowerRay Explorer, it's necessary to register with the Vision+ app and activate the PowerRay Explorer under-water drone. The steps below will guide you through registration and activation, so you can start diving as soon as possible.
- Step For Registration:
- Download the Vision+ App onto your Apple iOS 8.0+ or Android OS 5.0+ device, and make sure that your device is connected to a WiFi network.
- Launch the Vision+ app and select the button at the lower right corner of the screen labeled "REGISTER". Provide an email address and press "GET CODE". A verification code will be sent to the email address you provides. If you do not receive this email, try checking your spam folder. It may take some time to receive the email.
- Once you have received the code, you can log into the Vision+ app. You can change your password and make other adjustments to your account in "Settings".
- Steps For Activation:
- Close the Vision+ app and launch it again. You should receive a notification reading "Activate Immediately". Press "Activate", and when prompted, press "Confirm".
- Without closing the app, switch to your device's WiFi settings and connect to your home WiFi network. Return to the Vision+ app. When prompted, press "Confirm". The PowerRay Explorer will then be activated automatically. Return to your device's WiFi settings and connect to the network "PRA_station_xxxxx".
- When your mobile device has successfully connected to the PowerRay Explorer Base Station's WiFi network, you will receive a notification reading, "Device is Connected". Press "Start Diving" and enjoy the underwater exploration.
Maintaining The PowerRay Explorer: Even though the PowerRay Explorer is designed to swim underwater, it is not good if water gets inside the device. The connectors are very fragile, and even a small amount of water can cause serious damage. Here are some essential tips to keep the PowerRay Explorer operating at its best.
- When you screw in the cord attaching the PowerRay Explorer to the base station, always ensure that it is screwed in very tightly. When you unscrew the cable from the PowerRay Explorer after a dive, cover it with the protective case so that water does not get into the connectors.
- Always dive in open water, avoiding underwater plants, such as seaweed. Never throw the PowerRay Explorer into the water; instead, gently immerse it, starting downward from the LED lights.
- After each immersion, dry the PowerRay Explorer off thoroughly. To avoid damage, do not store the device in the suitcase after swimming without drying it off first.
- Keep the base station and the remote controller away from water. Never touch the motors while they are spinning
Carry Case: The PowerVision PowerRay Explorer comes with a carry case for the underwater drone and all its included accessories. The interior is foam padded for extra protection. It features four locking closures.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Looking for more? Check out the next model in this lineup.
Get greater range, FPV goggles, and help with fishing
The PowerVision PowerRay Wizard offers these features:
230-foot communication cable
ZEISS VR ONE Plus FPV goggles
64 GB internal memory
detachable PowerSeeker fish finder with 295-foot Wi-Fi range
magnetic bait drop