Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
MTX Road Thunder RT1000D
Mono subwoofer amplifier 1,000 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms
Item # 236RT1000D | MFR # RT1000D
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the MTX Road Thunder RT1000Dby Crutchfield's Buck Pomerantz
An MTX Road Thunder amp puts your music up front and in your face in a great way. You won't stop smiling when you finally hear all the musical details and and feel the awesome bass that your old system just couldn't reproduce.
Rockin' with 1,000 watts
MTX's RT1000D mono sub amp will rock your ride with up to 1,000 watts RMS of impressive bass power. You can use the variable frequency filters and bass boost to match this amp to your particular subwoofer system.
When the beat gets hot during heavy play, this amp's inner works stay cool by shedding heat efficiently through a tough, extruded aluminum top cover and heatsink assembly. This Road Thunder amp features speaker-level inputs with special circuitry that turns the amp on when it senses an incoming signal, which come in handy if you're hooking it up to a factory radio.
- mono subwoofer amplifier
- 500 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms (1,000 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms)
- CEA-2006 compliant
- frequency response: 20-200 Hz
- adaptive Class D amp technology
- variable low-pass filter (40-200 Hz, 12 dB/octave)
- variable subsonic filter (30-50 Hz, 12 dB/octave)
- variable bass boost (0-12 dB at 40 Hz)
- External Bass Control included
- preamp and speaker-level inputs
- Smart Engage turns on amp when signal arrives through the speaker-level inputs
- fuse rating: 35A x 4
- 1/0-gauge power and ground leads recommended wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
- 17-1/4"W x 2-1/16"H x 7-5/8"D
- warranty: 1 year (extends to 2 years when purchased and used with a StreetWires 1/0-gauge amp wiring kit)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Mono-block amplifier
- Four 35A ATO fuses (installed)
- External Bass Control
- 17' External Bass Control cable (RJ-25 plug on both ends)
- Two 10' Speaker level input cables (each has an RCA connector on one end and tinned bare wire on the other)
- 5mm Allen wrench
- 2.5mm Allen wrench
- Instruction manual (English/ French/ Spanish/ German/ Italian/ Portuguese/ Dutch/ Russian/ Finnish/ Polish)
Features and Specs
|RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels)||
500 x 1
|Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels)||N/A|
|Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels)||1000 x 1|
|Bridged Power (Watts x Channels)||N/A|
|Minimum Impedance Bridged||N/A|
|Minimum Impedance Unbridged||2|
|Best Frequency Response||20-200 Hz|
|THD at Rated RMS Power||1%|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||75 dB|
|Low-Pass Crossover Frequency||40-200 Hz|
|Low-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 dB/oct|
|High-Pass Crossover Frequency||N/A|
|High-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||N/A|
|Bass Boost||0-12 dB|
|Bass Boost Frequency||40 Hz|
|Speaker Level Inputs||RCA|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years (3-5 Prorated)|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years (3-5 Prorated)|
CEA-2006 Compliant: CEA-2006 is a system of testing and measurement methods for mobile audio amplifiers. This voluntary standard advocates a uniform method for determining an amplifier's RMS power output and signal-to-noise ratio. The criteria for measuring power uses a DC input voltage of 14.4 volts and the RMS power output is measured with 1% or less Total Harmonic Distortion plus noise (THD+N). Signal-to-Noise ratio is measured in weighted absolute decibels (dBA) at a reference of 1 watt. CEA-2006 allows consumers to compare car amplifiers and receivers on an equal basis. Measured under CEA-2006 conditions the MTX Road Thunder RT1000D is rated at 1000 watts RMS x 1 channel into a 2-ohm load and 500 watts RMS x 1 channel into a 4-ohm load, the signal to noise ratio is 75 dB.
Mono-Block Amplifier: The MTX Road Thunder RT1000D is designed with specific features to power your subwoofer or subwoofers with a frequency range between 20 to 200 Hz. This amplifier is not designed to power a full-range speaker.
Adaptive Class D Technology: While typical Class D amps tend to generate high frequency energy that must be filtered to prevent harmonic interference in the FM radio frequency range, Adaptive Class D Technology directs the amp's switching energy away from FM radio ranges as the amp's load and output increase. This improves the amp's overall signal-to-noise ratio and eliminates interference generated by more common Class D amps.
Protection Circuits: The RT1000D provides Thermal and Short-circuit protection.
Gain: The rotary gain control is continuously variable from 250 mV to 5 V.
Bass Boost: The amplifier's bass boost is adjustable from 0-12dB at 40Hz.
Sub-Sonic Filter: This amp features a 12dB/octave Sub-Sonic Filter, adjustable from 20 to 50 Hz. Ultra-low frequencies that cannot be reproduced by the subwoofer do not become sound but unnecessary oscillations, which affect sound by causing distortion. These frequencies also waste amplifier power and can cause damage to the speakers. Setting the Sub-Sonic Filter between 20 and 50 Hz removes the frequencies below the respective frequency to improve the performance of the speakers by eliminating harmful distortion.
Crossover: The RT1000D features a 12 dB/octave crossover, continuously variable from 40 to 200 Hz to match the frequency response of your connected subwoofer(s). The crossover is always engaged (it cannot be bypassed).
Remote Bass Knob: A wired External Bass Control (EBC) is included with the MTX RT1000D. The EBC connects to the amplifier using the supplied 17' RJ-25 cord, it's designed to mount under your vehicle's dash within arm's length so its easily accessible to the driver. The approximate dimensions are:
- Width: 1-9/16" (2-5/8" including the mounting tabs)
- Height: 3/4"
- Depth: 1-1/2" (2" including the knob and wiring)
Power/Ground/Turn-On: The RT1000D features set-screw terminals for Power, Ground and Remote turn-on. The Power and Ground terminals will accommodate up to 1/0 gauge wire (which MTX recommends), while the Remote turn-on lead will accept up to 8 gauge wire.
Line Level Input: MTX recommends using the RCA type inputs with a line-level signal when possible.
Speaker Level Input: The RT1000D comes with two speaker level to RCA adapters, making it easier to add an amplifier to a factory radio or to an aftermarket receiver with no preamp outputs.
Speaker Connections: The amplifier is equipped with set-screw speaker terminals; they will accommodate up to 8 gauge wire.
EBC: The RJ-25 port (phone type connection) is for the included wired remote.
Fuse: The amplifier is equipped with four ATO type 35 amp fuses.
5 Year Warranty Terms: This product carries a 5-Year Prorated Warranty with the following terms:
- Years 1-2: Products found to be defective in materials or workmanship during the first two years will be, at Mitek's option, repaired or replaced by Mitek at no charge. The warranty period does not renew, but continues on from the original date of purchase.
- Years 3-5: The purchase price of an item which becomes defective after the first two years and prior to the end of the warranty period will be prorated and credited toward the purchase of a new MTX product. The amount of proration is determined by dividing the original purchase price by the number of months in the warranty period (60), then multiplying the result by the number of months remaining in the warranty period.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.