Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Thunder Axe Series 6-3/4" component speakers
Our take on the MTX TX6 by Crutchfield's Jon Paulette
Hear your music in a new way
You've been living with bad speakers in your car for so long, you may not remember what your music really sounds like. Install theseThunder Axe Series component speakers from MTX, and you'll hear your favorite songs in a whole new light. With the 1-3/16" soft dome tweeters mounted up high, it'll seem as though the band is playing a set on your dashboard. The 6-3/4" woofers, which feature an innovative concave design for improved off-axis response, really dig into the low frequencies, giving you a deeper, fuller sound. And the system's protected by MTX's unique 5-year warranty.
Great price, great features
The system also includes 2-way outboard crossovers -- a real bonus for speakers in this price range. You'll also be impressed with the adjustable tweeter levels, which allow you to custom-tailor the highs to suit your music and your taste. As great as these speakers sound running off your factory radio, they'll really impress you when they're driven by an aftermarket receiver or an MTX amp.
Note: MTX describes this model as a 6-1/2" speaker. Most manufacturers designate this same frame size as a 6-3/4" speaker. For simplicity's sake we list it as a 6-3/4" speaker.
Not a fan of the cross overs but these are clear and loud running a JL slash 75watts RMS a channel amp i love the tweeters very large from what is out there now these speakers over power my JBL's in my front stage .........
Joe, Philly Pa.
What's in the Box:
- Two woofers
- 2 Tweeters (8" wire attached)
- 2 Crossovers
- 2 Metal woofer mounting brackets
- 2 Woofer grilles
- 2 Grille mounting rings
- Four 6" Lengths of speaker wire (each has quick-slides on one end and bare wire on the other)
- 2 Surface mount tweeter housings (with tweeters installed)
- 2 Flush mount tweeter trim rings
- 2 Flush mount tweeter locking rings
- 2 Foam rubber pads
- 2 Flush mounting clips
- Two M4x30mm machine screws
- Eight M3x4mm Machine screws
- Four 5/8" Flat head self-tapping screws
- Eight 1" Self-tapping screws
- 8 Speed clips
- Cardboard template
- Installation instructions
- Warranty information
- Specifications printed on box
- component speaker system includes 2 woofers, 2 tweeters, and 2 crossovers
- 6-3/4" polypropylene woofer cone
- 1-3/16" soft-dome tweeter
- 2-way crossover and adjustable tweeter level
- power handling: up to 5-90 watts RMS (180 watts peak)
- frequency response: 44 Hz -20,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 90 dB
- impedance: 4 ohms
- woofer top-mount depth: 2-1/8"
- woofer grilles included
- flush- and surface-mount tweeter adapters included
- warranty: 5 years (free repair or replacement for 2 years; prorated replacement for years 3 through 5)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
MTX TX6 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Speaker Size||6 3/4|
|Tweeter Design||1-3/16" Dome|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years (3-5 Prorated)|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years (3-5 Prorated)|
|Sensitivity (1W at 1 meter)||N/A|
|Sensitivity at 2.83 volts||90|
|Frequency Response||44 - 20k Hz|
|Minimum RMS Wattage||5|
|Maximum RMS Wattage||90|
|Peak Power Handling (Watts)||180|
|Top-mount Depth (Inches)||2 1/8|
|Bottom-mount Depth (Inches)||2 7/16|
|Cutout Diameter or Length (inches)||5 1/16|
Woofer Mounting: MTX calls the TX6 woofer a 6-1/2, and without using the included mounting bracket, it fits into standard 6-3/4 and 6-1/2 openings, but the bolt pattern is 6-3/4. The mounting bracket adds 0.162" to the speaker's mounting height (and subtracts 0.162" from the depth) and has the standard 3-hole 6-1/2 and Ford 4-hole 6-1/2 bolt patterns. If mounted in a 6-1/2 application without the bracket, new screw holes must be drilled.
Tweeter Mounting Options: The tweeters can be flush mounted or surface mounted; they swivel inside either housing for optimum imaging.
|Frame Diameter||Cutout Diameter||Mounting Height||Mounting Depth|
|Surface Mount||2.2"||N/A||1.106"||0.65" (Screw Depth)|
Terminals: The crossover inputs and outputs are set screw terminals; they accept bare wire up to 10 gauge. There are two positive tweeter outputs, offering flat and -3dB output options. The screw terminals have 2mm Allen heads, and are recessed slightly more than half an inch, so a standard Allen head bit for a screw driver will not fit (an Allen wrench is not included).
- Width: 5.0"
- Height: 1.4"
- Depth: 3.1"
Warranty: Although the speaker reviewed and measured (taken from our first shipment) included information indicating a 1 year warranty, MTX recently changed to a 5-Year Prorated Warranty with the following terms:
- Years 1-2: Products found to be defective in materials or workmanship during the first two years will be, at Mitek's option, repaired or replaced by Mitek at no charge. The warranty period does not renew, but continues on from the original date of purchase.
- Years 3-5: The purchase price of an item which becomes defective after the first two years and prior to the end of the warranty period will be prorated and credited toward the purchase of a new MTX product. The amount of proration is determined by dividing the original purchase price by the number of months in the warranty period (60), then multiplying the result by the number of months remaining in the warranty period.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.