Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon USB
Manual belt-drive turntable with pre-mounted cartridge and USB output (Gloss Black)
Item # 252DBTCUSB | MFR # Debut Carbon USB
This item is no longer available.
Newer model available
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Phono USB (DC)
Our take on the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon USB by Crutchfield's Dave Bar
Bring your record collection into the digital age
The task of transforming your treasured LPs into audiophile-quality digital files requires a great-sounding turntable. That's why the folks at Pro-Ject added a high-fidelity phono preamp with a built-in analog-to-digital converter and USB output to their acclaimed Debut Carbon. This potent playback combination makes it a breeze to transfer music to your computer for easy archiving. Save your tunes as MP3, WAV, or other music files that you can store on your computer or download to your portable player. The built-in preamp means you can also connect the Debut Carbon USB directly to almost any audio system.
Crafted for serious sound
You've probably seen cheap, plastic 'tables equipped with USB, but the Debut Carbon USB is in a completely different league. Its sturdy MDF chassis rests on shock absorbing rubber feet that provide a solid, low-resonance foundation. Its heavy steel platter spins on a precision axle and bearing for excellent speed stability and smooth, silent rotation. A decoupled motor mount and belt drive system isolates the motor's vibration from the chassis to prevent noise from being transferred to the cartridge. An external AC power supply helps reduce the chance of hum. Finally, the table's one-piece carbon fiber tonearm includes a silicone-damped lift for gently raising and lowering the arm — protecting both the stylus and your records.
Enjoy the rich sound of vinyl without the hassle
Pro-Ject knows that turntable setup can be a challenge for the novice. That's why the Debut Carbon USB comes out of the box virtually ready to play. Its pre-matched, factory-mounted phono cartridge and tonearm take the guesswork out of installation, so you can enjoy optimized sound quality with minimal effort. A few minutes to dial in key settings like tracking force, anti-skating, and platter speed are all that's needed to experience the best sound you've ever heard from your record collection.
Like the others said, desperately needs updated instructions.The web version helps. Those looking to use USB might start by using Audacity (free) software. The Audacity help files provide some guidance. Star rating assumes correct adjustment and connection.
Bob H, Scottsdale, AZ
What's in the Box:
- Turntable (tone-arm and cartridge installed)
- Hub (installed)
- AC power adapter (with attached 6.5' DC cord)
- Drive belt
- Dust cover
- Counter weight
- Anti-skate weight
- Felt pad
- 45 RPM adapter
- 4' Stereo RCA cable (w/ attached ground lead)
- Female RCA to male 3.5mm adapter
- 6' USB (type-B) to USB (type-A) cable
- Two-Point Cartridge Alignment Protractor
- Instructions for Use
- built-in phono preamp with line-level audio and USB output (Windows®, Mac®, and Linux compatible)
- recording software not included (Pro-Ject recommends Audacity, a free sound recording and editing program available at audacity.sourceforge.net)
- heavy 12" steel platter with felt mat provides excellent speed stability and protects records from scratches
- precision stainless-steel bearing system for smooth, quiet platter rotation
- one-piece 8.6" carbon fiber tonearm for superior rigidity and low resonance
- includes pre-mounted Ortofon OM-10E moving magnet cartridge
- medium density fiberboard (MDF) base with four shock absorbing rubber feet
- AC motor decoupled from base for reduced vibration transmission and better sound
- Sorbothane motor suspension
- manual operation with silicone-damped tonearm lift
- 33-1/3 and 45 rpm speeds
- speed variation: ±0.55%
- wow and flutter: ±0.10%
- signal-to-noise ratio: 68dB
- external power supply reduces likelihood of electro-mechanical interference
- compatible with Pro-Ject Speed Box II electronic speed regulator for enhanced sound and speed-changing convenience
- weight: 15 lbs.
- 16-3/8"W x 4-11/16"H (with dust cover down) x 13-5/8"D
- warranty: 2 years (1 year warranty for the supplied cartridge)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon USB Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|45 RPM Adapter||Yes|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||68|
|Wow and Flutter||0.1|
Resonance-Reducing Construction: The attractive resonance-reducing MDF plinth supports a heavier 300mm diameter metal platter for smoother rotation and lower wow and flutter. Additionally, a felt record mat is employed for superior record support and coupling. The platter and plinth assembly sits upon four-point "O"-ring feet designed for energy absorption and the plinth-mounted motor is isolated by a new Sorbothane suspension keeping unwanted noise and vibration to a bare minimum. The motor is even decoupled from the plinth to reduce vibration transmission.
Note: The turntable should be positioned on a low-resonance surface such as wood or multiple layer ply-board to avoid structural vibrations disturbing replay.
High-Fidelity Sound: The 8.6" single-piece tube carbon fiber tone-arm that increases stiffness while decreasing unwanted resonances resulting in a higher fidelity presentation of your vinyl recordings. Fitted to the carbon fiber arm is a top-quality cartridge, the OM10 moving magnet (MM) phono cartridge by Ortofon. This arm/cartridge combination is capable of exceptional tracking and recovery of the musical nuance found within the records grooves.
Belt Driven: The Pro-Ject Debut-Carbon Phono USB features a quiet running AC motor with a two-step pulley which drives the hub and platter via a flat-ground belt. The Debut-Carbon Phono USB supports 33-1/3 and 45 rpm speeds.
Integrated Phono-MM Preamp w/ USB Output: Because the Debut Carbon Phono USB includes a built-in phono preamplifier with USB output, connection to both line-level input of your hifi system and USB port on your computer can be done simultaneously.
- RCA Output Jacks: Plinth mounted RCA output jacks allow for the use of higher quality interconnects for even better sonic performance. The built-in phono equalizer preamp allows you to connect the turntable to an integrated amp or receiver that does not have a dedicated phono input. You cannot disable the built-in phono preamp.
- USB Phono Stage: The Pro-Ject Debut-Carbon Phono USB turntable allows you to transfer treasured vinyl records to any digital file format on your computer (software not included) with audiophile sound quality via its moving magnet phono preamplifier, A/D converter and USB (type-B) output (USB cable included). Compatible with Windows, Mac, and Linux operating systems. Pro-Ject recommends Audacity, a free sound recording and editing program available at audacity.sourceforge.net.
Dust Cover: The Pro-Ject Debut-Carbon Phono USB comes supplied with a dust cover to prevent dust build-up on the turntable.
AC Power Adapter: The turntable operates off of standard household current using the supplied external AC power adapter.
- Input: 120V~60Hz, 13.0W
- Output: 15V, 550mA
Filter Cartridge: Ortofon OM10 pre-mounted (output voltage: 5.5mV)
Amplifier Connection: MM-input (recommended load resistance: 47 kohms)
Nominal Speeds: 33-1/3, 45 rpm
Platter: 11.811" (300mm) diameter steel w/ felt mat
Tone-arm Length: 8.6" (218.5mm)
Tone-arm Mass: 0.212oz (6g)
Overhang: 0.728" (18.5mm)
Tracking Force: 10-30 mN
Speed Variance: +/-0.80%
Wow & Flutter: +/-0.10%
Outboard Power Supply: 15V / 550mA
- Dust Cover Closed: 16.375" (w) x 4.6875" (h) x 13.625" (d)
- Dust Cover Open: 16.375" (w) x 14.4375" (h) x 15.75" (d)
Weight: 15 lbs.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
2 questions already asked
2 answers I see on the Pro-Ject website that they offer the Debut Carbon USB in other colors as well. I can't find them anywhere, though. I can find the non-USB versions in all colors, but I can only find the USB version in Black. Do you know if other colors are available or if they will be released soon? Thanks! www project-audio com/main.php?prod=debutcarbonphonousb&cat=turntables&lang=en [ DJM123 Jan 19, 2014 ]
I had almost the exact problem you described about your walls and acoustics. It bothered me so bad I built a new house with a finished basement. My suggestion to anyone that might be dealing with similar issues would be before spending money on speaker stands ect, is to use boxes or anything dependable to set speakers on to find that perfect height and position first. Also for use blankets or heavy curtains as temporary walls to dial is good acoustics for movie watching. That may sound funny but I had temporary walls as I described that only took around 3 minutes to remove after watching a movie and put away. I used brackets that easily slipped on & off the permanent walls along with round wooden closet rod, shower curtain hangers. When finished I rolled everything up and put it in the spare bedroom closet. Because everything used is temporary it doesn't matter how it looks so most of this stuff you may already have anyhow. You would be shocked how well something like this worked. More importantly the wife was ok with it since it all was removed afterwards. [ FRANK Jan 27, 2014 ]
Sorry, have no clue. I was not particularly interested in other colors. [ Mirga Jan 20, 2014 ]
The pre-amp is designed to bring the level of the signal up to a standard pre-amp level. For connecting to speakers you would still need to connect this to an amplification source (receiver, table top system, etc). [ Jeff Dec 16, 2013 ] Staff