Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
CD/MP3 Receiver with CD changer controls
Item #: 257KDSX980
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the JVC KD-SX980
JVC gives you quality MP3 playback for less with the KD-SX980 CD receiver. Crank up your MP3 discs, CD, CD-Rs, and CD-RWs with the built-in MOSFET50 power you'll love the added punch and clarity.
The Custom Equalizer (C-EQ) tunes the receiver's output to match your favorite types of music. Choose from six preset tone contours ("Rock," "Classic," "Pops," "Hip-Hop," "Jazz," and "Flat") and modify one for each entertainment source. Then turn on C-EQ Link to conveniently store each source's C-EQ setting.
Plug another entertainment source into the front-panel auxiliary input and you can play its audio through the receiver. Add an optional JVC 12-disc CD changer, and you'll have all-day or all-night tuneage. Don't want a changer? Then you can connect an additional auxiliary input for even more entertainment possibilities!
A wireless remote is included.Details:
- detachable, fold-down face
- HS-II tuner
- 18 FM/6 AM presets
- station naming for 30 radio stations
- Custom Equalizer (C-EQ) with 6 tone presets ("Rock," "Classic," "Pops," "Hip-Hop," "Jazz," and "Flat")
- C-EQ Link assigns a sound mode to each preset
- plays MP3 files on CD-R or CD-RW, plus audio CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RWs
- CD changer controls
- front-panel auxiliary input, plus the option to add a rear-panel aux input (instead of a CD changer)
- front and rear preamp outputs
- disc naming for 40 discs
- CD Text decoding and MP3 ID-3 tag display
- wireless remote
- 19 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels
- CD frequency response 5-20,000 Hz
- CD signal-to-noise ratio 98 dB
- FM sensitivity 11.3 dBf
- 1-year warranty
What's in the Box:
- AM/FM/CD/Changer controller receiver with 15-amp fuse inserted into chassis
- Hard face case
- Trim ring
- Wiring harness
- RM-RK50 Wireless remote
- CR2025 Lithium battery
- 2 Face security screws
- 2 Plastic spacers
- 2 Removal tools
- 1 Rear support stud
- 1 Flat washer
- 1 Nut
- 1 Rubber bushing
- Instructions (English/Spanish/French)
- Installation/Connection Manual (English/Spanish/French)
- "Before Electrical Connections" instruction sheet (English/Spanish/French)
- US warranty sheet
- Canadian warranty card
- Canadian service center list
- Product Safety Registration Card/Questionnaire
- "Important" sheet (discusses resetting the unit and ejecting a CD by force)
- Note on securing detachable faceplate
- "Questions and Answers-Music File MP3" sheet
Features and Specs
|Memory Card Slot||No|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|RMS Power Output||19 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||40-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||No|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||---|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Key Button Color||Red/Green|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||---|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||11.3 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
Level Meter: There is a level meter in the right portion of the display window. The level meter may be set to Audio 1, Audio 2, or Off. In Audio 1 mode, the meter gives a graphic representation of the audio signal level. In Audio 2 mode, the meter alternates between Audio 1 mode and illumination display. While making volume, balance and fader adjustments, the meter gives a graphic representation of the setting.
Custom Equalizer (C-EQ): This unit has six preset tone control and loudness setting combinations that you may select. You may link a different sound mode to each source, or you may use the same mode for all sources. Each of the sound modes may be adjusted to your preference and stored in memory. The preset Custom Equalizer modes are:
- Rock: Bass = +3, Treble = +1, Loudness = On
- Classic: Bass = +1, Treble = -2, Loudness = Off
- Pops: Bass = +4, Treble = +1, Loudness = Off
- Hip Hop: Bass = +2, Treble = 0, Loudness = On
- Jazz: Bass = +2, Treble = +3, Loudness = Off
- User: Bass = 0, Treble = 0, Loudness = Off
C-EQ Link: The C-EQ Link function can be turned On or Off. When C-EQ Link is turned On, the selected sound mode can be stored in memory for the current source.
One Touch Operation: Pressing a source button (CD/Changer/AM/FM) turns the unit on and selects the source.
Source Titling: Titles, up to 8 characters long, can be stored and recalled from memory for up to 30 radio stations. Titles, up to 32 characters long, can be stored and recalled from memory for up to 40 CDs. Note: You cannot label MP3 CDs or CDs that are encoded with CD Text information.
Tuner: This model is equipped with JVC's proprietary HS-II tuner.
Standard and European Tuning Spacing: The tuner allows you to select U.S. standard or European tuning spacing. This feature is not discussed in the manual, but it is easily accessible. To switch the tuning spacing, you simply press and hold the FM button and preset #5 button simultaneously for approximately 3 seconds.
D/A Converter: For superior sound quality, this unit uses a 24-bit D/A converter.
Direct Track Access: You can directly access CD tracks 1-12 by pressing the station preset buttons. If a preset button is pressed for less than 1 second, the track corresponding to the number on the preset button is selected. When a preset button is pressed for more than 1 second, the track corresponding to the number above the preset button is accessed; this method is used to access tracks 7-12.
MP3 File Playback: This unit can play MP3 files that have been recorded with constant bit rate (32kbps to 320kbps) or variable bit rate compression on CD-ROM, CD-R and CD-RW discs. The disc must be recorded in one of the following formats: ISO 9660 level 1, ISO 9660 level 2, or Joliet. The following functions are available during MP3 playback:
- Direct Directory Access: you can directly access directories 1-12 by pressing the station preset buttons. If a preset button is pressed for less than 1 second, the directory corresponding to the number on the preset button is selected. When a preset button is pressed for more than 1 second, the directory corresponding to the number above the preset button is accessed; this method is used to access directories 7-12.
- Directory Search: allows you to skip to the next or previous directory
- File Search: allows you to skip to the next or previous file
- Audible File Search: this function allows you to perform fast forward or reverse audible search within a file
- Random Play: allows you to select RND 1 or RND 2. In RND 1 mode, all the files of the current directory are played in random order. In RND 2 mode, all the files on the disc are played in random order.
- Repeat Play: allows you to select RPT 1 or RPT 2. In RPT 1 mode, the current file is repeated. In RPT 2 mode, all files in the current directory are repeated.
- Intro Scan: allows you to select INT 1 or INT 2. In INT 1 mode, the unit plays the first 15 seconds of each file on a disc. In INT 2 mode, the unit plays the first 15 seconds of the first file in each directory.
- Last Position Memory: if the unit is shut off or switched to the tuner mode while an MP3 CD is playing, the next time CD is selected as the source, playback will resume from the point where it left off
- ID3 Tag Display: when a disc with ID3 Tag information is playing, the ID3 Tag information can be displayed. This feature can be turned on or off. Note: This unit is only compatible with ID3 Tag version 1.
Disc Eject Prohibit: This feature keeps the disc from ejecting even if the eject button is pushed. The disc eject prohibit feature is engaged/disengaged by pressing the CD and power buttons simultaneously for more than 2 seconds.
Front Panel Auxiliary Input: A front panel stereo mini-jack is provided to allow the connection of a portable audio source. Just connect your portable cassette, MD or MP3 player to this unit, and you can listen to the audio from the portable player through the speakers in your mobile audio system. The input level of the auxiliary input can be adjusted from 0 to 5.
Compatibility with Optional AUX Input Adapter: Item 105KSU57 (sold separately) may be used to provide an additional auxiliary input on this unit. This feature allows you to connect a portable audio player, such as a portable MD player, to this unit as an additional audio source. Item 105KSU57 connects to the CD changer input on this unit. When the aux input adapter is connected to this unit, a CD changer cannot be connected.
Dimmer: This unit is equipped with a wire that JVC calls an illumination lead, however, it acts as a dimmer lead. The dimmer can be set to OFF (normal brightness at all times), AUTO (display window automatically dims when your car head lights are turned on), or ON (display is always dimmed). Note that the amount of dimming is fixed, it cannot be adjusted, and the illumination wire must be connected for AUTO operation.
Compatibility: This unit is equipped with JVC's "J-Link" CD changer control system. CH-X series JVC CD changers can be controlled directly. A KSU15K adapter (sold separately) is required to connect this unit to older series (non-"CH-X" series) JVC changers.
Changer Controls: In addition to basic disc navigation features, this unit has the following changer controls: direct disc access, disc intro scan, track intro scan, track repeat, disc repeat, disc random, and all disc random.
Source Titling: Titles, up to 32 characters long, can be stored and recalled from memory for up to 40 CDs in a connected changer. Note: You cannot label CDs that are encoded with CD Text information.
CD Text Display: When connected to a CD Text capable CD changer, this unit can display disc and track titles for discs encoded with disc and track title information. When CD Text is displayed, you can select one of the following scroll modes: Once (scrolls only once), Auto (repeats the scroll with 5-second intervals in between), or Off (cancels Auto scroll).
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.