Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Surround sound headphone adapter
Item # 257SUDH1 | MFR # SUDH1
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the JVC SU-DH1by Crutchfield's Ralph Graves
Put on your headphones and enjoy your DVDs, video games and music with spacious, virtual surround sound. The compact SU-DH1 surround sound headphone adapter from JVC makes it possible. The SU-DH1 works with just about any headphones. And it features an attached cable that plugs into the headphone jack of your laptop, handheld game, MP3 player or other device.
For home audio/video systems, the adapter features a mini optical digital input. With a mini-Toslink cable (available separately), you can run a digital feed from your DVD player or receiver for even more realistic effects.
The SU-DH1 makes a great travel accessory, too. An included adapter plug for airline systems lets you enjoy surround sound with your in-flight movies. The SU-DH1 provides up to 10 hours of continuous operation from two "AA" batteries a real plus for longer international flights.
- built-in Dolby® Digital, DTS®, Dolby Pro Logic® II, and Dolby Headphone processing
- 3 Dolby Headphone settings (Studio/Cinema/Hall)
- 3 Dolby Pro Logic II settings (Audio/Movie/Music)
- mini optical digital input
- attached analog line in cord with stereo mini plug
- carry pouch
- adapter plug for airline systems
- up to 10 hours operation with two included "AA" batteries
- weight: 2.17 oz.
- 3-5/16"W x 4-7/16"H x 13/16"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- SU-DH1 surround sound headphone adapter with attached 4.5" cable with stereo mini-jack connetor
- 2 "AA" batteries
- Airplane plug adapter (stereo mini-jack on one side and two mono male mini-jacks on the other)
- Traveling pouch
- "To Our Valued Customer"/Limited warranty sheet
- Instruction booklet
Overview: The SU-DH1 is a portable surround sound headphone adapter. It features Dolby headphone technology to provide 5.1ch surround sound through any set of headphones. It comes with an analog input cord that can be stored into the unit, and also has an optical digital mini jack. Ideal to use with laptop computer, portable DVD player, handheld video viewer, and portable game systems or other portable music/video product. Also it can be used to enjoy the in-flight movie with surround sound. Carrying pouch, airplane plug adapter, and two AA battery are all provided.
Virtual Surround Sound Modes: The SU-DH1 can reproduce the following formats:
- Dolby Digital: This is used to reproduce multi-channel soundtracks of the software encoded with Dolby Digital.
- Dolby Digital Pro Logic II:This is a newly developed multi-channel playback format to decode all 2
channel sources (stereo source and Dolby Surround encoded sources) into a
5.1 channel. There are two modes of Dolby Pro Logic II:
- Movie: suitable for reproduction of the software encoded with Dolby surround
- Music: suitable for reproduction of any 2 channel stereo music sources
- DTS Digital Surround: This is used to reproduce multi-channel soundtracks of the software encoded with DTS digital surround. DTS surround is another discrete multi-channel digital audio format available on CD and DVD software.
- MPEG-2 AAC: This is a surround format developed by MPEG and can reproduce the sound in 5.1 channel at the maximum.
Surround Functions: On the face of the SU-DH1, there are two buttons, one is labeled "Dolby Pro Logic II" and the other is "Dolby Headphone." These buttons allow you to choose the particular playback modes. You can choose from the following modes:
- Dolby Pro Logic II: Auto, Movie, Music, Off
- Dolby Headphone: DH1, DH2, DH3, Off
Line Attenuation Switch (LINE IN ATT): This switch allows you to adjust the input volume level of the component connected by line in cord. Set the switch to -8db in standard use. When the volume level of the component connected has a low signal set the switch to 0 dB. The switch is found on the right side of the adapter.
- Right side of the adapter
- Mini-jack female Digital input
- Mini-jack female Headphone output
- Bottom right side of the
- Mini-jack male Line input on a 4.5" cable
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.