Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
7-disc carousel DVD/CD changer with progressive scan (Black)
Item #: 257XVF80B
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the JVC XV-F80BK by Crutchfield's Tom Mathew
It's the same size as your average 5-disc carousel changer, but it holds up to 7 discs! The XV-F80BK from JVC has upped the ante in carousel design while offering truly "progressive" performance right along with it.
You're looking at a whole range of connectivity and format options, so you can get the most out of your home theater system. Is your television HDTV-ready? Then select the progressive-scan video mode and enjoy a smoother, more filmlike picture. (But don't worry the interlaced mode looks great with standard TVs, too.) Is your system wired for surround sound? Just connect the player's optical or coaxial digital output to a matching input on your receiver, and strap yourself in for Dolby® Digital or DTS® surround sound excitement.
You get plenty of audio playback options, too: the XV-F80BK plays CDs, CD-Rs, CD-RWs, and even MP3 CD-R discs! Oh yeah, and take a look at the price tag this 7-disc progressive-scan DVD changer's a steal!
- change 6 discs while the 7th keeps playing
- plays DVD-Video discs, CDs, audio CD-Rs & CD-RWs, and MP3-encoded CD-Rs
- 54MHz/10-bit video D/A converter
- selectable interlaced/progressive-scan component video output (progressive-scan requires a compatible TV)
- deinterlacing with 3-2 pulldown processing
- 3D-Phonic virtual surround sound
- optical and coaxial digital outputs for Dolby Digital/DTS/PCM
- 1 set of A/V outputs (composite video, S-video, and component video)
- 13-step Zoom
- A/V remote with glow-in-the-dark keys (multibrand for TVs)
- JVC AV CompuLink
- 96kHz/24-bit audio DAC
- 17-1/8"W x 4-1/8"H x 19-1/8"D
- warranty: 1 year parts, 90 days labor
- designed for use with "Region 1" coded DVDs
What's in the Box:
- 7-Disc DVD/CD/Video CD Player
- RM-SXVF80J Remote
- Two "AA" batteries
- 70" AC power cord
- 44" A/V Cable (RCA left/right/video)
- 45" Component video cable (three RCA)
- 36" Compulink cable (Mono mini-jacks on both ends)
- Product registration survey
- product safety pamphlet
- Note about authorized JVC service centers
- NETFLIX.COM discount offer
Features and Specs
|Number of Discs||7|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||90 Days|
|Composite Video Outputs||1|
|Component Video Outputs||1|
Compatibility: This unit can play the following discs:
- DVD: 5" or 3", NTSC, "Region 1" or "All Region" discs
- Video CD: 5" or 3"
- Audio CD: 5" or 3"
- CD-R (MP3, standard CD audio and Video CD): 5" or 3"
- CD-RW (Standard CD audio only): 5" or 3"
Video D/A Converter: This player uses a 10-bit/54MHz video digital-to-analog converter, which reduces digital artifacts for a better picture.
Audio D/A Converter: This unit includes an audio digital-to-analog converter capable of providing 96kHz/24-bit resolution. To hear the full benefits of the high sampling rate discs, you must use the analog outputs of this unit; the digital outputs will not deliver a signal for discs recorded with a sampling rate higher than 48kHz.
Component Video Output: In addition to the composite and the S-video outputs, this unit is equipped with a set of component video outputs. When connected to a television with a component video input, the component video output of this unit will provide color and detail that is superior to video from composite and S-video outputs. The component outputs can be set to pass either progressive or interlaced video.
Progressive Scan Output: This DVD player may be set to output a progressive scan or interlaced video signal from the component video output. Instead of splitting each video frame into two sequential fields like interlaced scanning, progressive scanning displays the entire frame in a single sweep. Where a standard DVD player's 480i output displays 30 frames (60 fields) per second, a progressive-scan player's 480p output displays 60 full frames per second. Progressive-scan picture quality is more film-like, with more fine detail and less flicker. Progressive-scan viewing requires a TV with a progressive scan compatible component video input.
Play Exchange: While one disc is playing, you can change any of the other six discs loaded in the player.
On-Screen Display: The on-screen menu can be set to English, French, or Spanish.
MP3 Playback: This unit will play MP3 audio recorded onto CD-R (not CD-RW) discs using the ISO 9660 format. Although the front panel display will not show file names, the file names can be shown using the on-screen display. During MP3 playback, rapid forward/reverse playback is not available, tracks cannot be played back in random or programmed order, and the unit does not output a digital audio signal from the digital outputs.
3D Phonic Surround Sound: When playing a DVD recorded in Dolby Digital with rear channel output, this feature allows you to obtain a surround sound effect from only two speakers. You may select one of the following modes: Action, Drama, or Theater and the level of effect can be adjusted from 1 to 5. Note: This feature only affects the analog audio outputs.
Zoom: The zoom feature allows you to double the image size repeatedly up to 1024x (2x,4x,8x...1024x) for a closer examination of a particular part of the picture. You may move the picture around the screen while it is enlarged to locate a specific area. You may also zoom out down to 1/8x, making the picture smaller on the screen.
Multi-Angle Display: This function allows you to choose the viewing angle of scenes that were shot from a number of different angles. Note: This function is limited to DVDs recorded with multiple camera angles.
Digest Function: Displays a small still of the opening scene of each title/chapter on a DVD or each track on a Video CD and allows you to access that title by clicking on the still. A maximum of 9 stills can be displayed at a time.
Strobe Function: The Strobe function allows you to display a series of nine consecutive still pictures. You can advance the images by pressing the "Play" button while in Strobe mode.
VFP (Video Fine Processor): With the VFP function, you can adjust the picture character according to the type of programming, the picture tone, or your personal preferences. There are four presets: NORMAL, CINEMA, USER 1, and USER 2. NORMAL and CINEMA are factory presets and cannot be adjusted. USER 1 and USER 2 have the following adjustable parameters that can be stored:
- Y Delay (controls the color gap of the screen)
- Gamma (controls the brightness of neutral tints while maintaining the brightness of dark and bright portions)
Resume Play: This feature allows you to resume playback of a disc from the point where you last stopped. The stopping point will be saved even if the power is turned off.
Repeat Play: The "Repeat A-B" function allows you to select any portion of a DVD, Video CD or audio CD and have it repeat until the unit is manually stopped. When playing a DVD, you can repeat the current title or the current chapter. When playing a Video CD or an audio CD, you can repeat the current track or the entire disc.
Random Play: When playing an audio CD or a Video CD, you can play the tracks in random order.
Program Play: Up to 24 titles or tracks can be programmed and played in any order.
Fast Search: There are four fast-play speeds in both forward and reverse: 2X, 5X, 20X and 60X the normal speed.
Slow Motion: When playing a DVD or Video CD, you may move forward through the program being played in one of four slow motion speeds: 1/32, 1/16, 1/4 or 1/2 the normal speed. When playing a DVD, you may move backward through the program being played using one of the same four slow motion speeds.
Parental Lock Function: Restricts playback of DVDs that contain violent and other types of content, according to the level set by the user. For example, if a movie containing violent scenes supports the parental lock feature, such scenes can be cut or replaced with other scenes. You can select a parental control rating from 0-8, which is protected by a 4-digit password. Discs rated higher than the selected level are restricted.
Display Dimmer: The unit's display may be set to one of three brightness levels.
- Menu Language: allows you to select a default display language
- Audio Language: allows you to select a default audio language
- Subtitle Language: allows you to select a default subtitle language
- On-Screen Language: allows you to select a default on-screen display language
- Digital Audio Output: selects what kind of signal is passed through the unit's digital outputs. You can select PCM only, Stream/PCM (used when connecting the unit to a component with both DTS and Dolby Digital decoding), or Dolby Digital/PCM (used when connecting this unit to a component with Dolby Digital decoding, but no DTS decoder). Note: When the unit is playing a DVD recorded in 96kHz, no signal is passed through the digital outputs.
- Down Mix: allows you to select Lt/Rt; which sounds best when used with a Dolby Pro Logic decoder, or Lo/Ro; which is used when the player is connected to a two channel stereo amplifier or digital recorder.
- Compression: used to compress the dynamic range for listening at low volumes (late night). This feature can be turned On or Off and works only with disc recorded with Dolby Digital.
- Monitor Type: allows you to select 4:3 Letter Box (automatically displays a wide screen DVD as letterboxed on a normal aspect ratio TV); 4:3 Pan Scan (automatically converts a wide screen DVD to Pan and Scan when supported by the DVD, otherwise it is played in letter box format); 16:9 Auto (should be selected when you connect a wide-screen TV); or 16:9 Normal (should be selected when you connect a wide-screen TV whose aspect ratio is fixed at 16:9)
- Screen Saver: protects against screen burn-in by selecting a screensaver after approximately 5 minutes; you may select Off (no screen saver), Mode 1 (darkens the screen), or Mode 2 (uses the "screen saver" picture)
- On-Screen Guide: allows you to turn the on-screen guide icons On or Off
- Auto Standby: allows you to select when the unit will go into standby mode when it is not being operated or it is sitting in stop mode; you may select 30 minutes, 60 minutes or Off
- AV Compulink: can select DVD 1, 2 or 3 depending on how the DVD player is hooked up to other compatible JVC Compulink equipment
Multi-brand TV Control: The remote is pre-coded to operate the basic functions of most TVs, so you can control the DVD player and the basic functions of your television with one remote.
- Audio Out: analog RCA outputs for left and right channels
- Video Out: RCA composite video jack, S-video jack, Component video jacks (3 RCA jacks, Y/Pb/Pr)
- Coaxial Digital Out: standard coaxial digital jack
- Optical Digital Out: standard Toslink digital output with plastic cover
- AV Compulink: 2 mono mini-jacks for use with JVC AV Compulink equipped components
- AC In: AC input for use with supplied AC power cord
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.