In-wall multi-purpose home theater speaker
Our take on the Revel W253L by Crutchfield's Kramer Crane
A multi-purpose in-wall speaker from Revel
If you're planning an in-wall home theater system, consider Revel's W253L LCR speaker for your left, right, and center channel locations. This versatile in-wall speaker can be installed either vertically or horizontally, making it an excellent choice for a seamless front soundstage. Its pair of 5-1/4" woofers and centrally mounted 1" tweeter deliver balanced, full-range sound that's ideal for movie soundtracks, dialogue and special effects.
High-quality design for long-term performance
The W253L has a few other notable design highlights. Its tweeter waveguide helps provide great sound for listeners directly in front of the speaker, as well as those positioned off to the side. And its high-order crossover network allows the woofer and tweeter to blend together seamlessly. A lifetime warranty ensures long-term performance.
Install Revel's W253L in-wall speaker vertically or horizontally as a left, right, or center channel speaker.
If this is a do-it-yourself install, check out my guide to installing in-wall speakers, along with our selection of in-wall speaker wire. You can paint the included magnetic grille to have your speaker blend in with your décor.
Who is Revel?
Revel is one of the high-performance audio companies of global electronics giant Harman International. Since 1996, Revel has used cutting-edge design tools and one-of-a-kind testing facilities to develop speakers that measure well and sound amazing. The intensive design work happens at Harman's state-of-the-art speaker R & D facility in Northridge, California.
- ideal for the left, right, or center channel locations of an in-wall home theater system
- dual 5-1/4" aluminum woofers with cast-aluminum frames
- long-throw woofer design with rubber surround for high output and low distortion
- 1" aluminum dome tweeter
- integrated waveguide provides excellent on- and off-axis performance
- high-order crossover network delivers accurate timbre reproduction
- spring clip speaker connectors
- paintable zero-bezel magnetic grille
- recommended amplifier power: 10-130 watts
- sensitivity: 91 dB
- cutout dimensions: 6-7/16"W x 14-1/8"H
- overall dimensions: 7-7/16"H x 15-1/8"H
- mounting depth: 3-1/2"
- weight: 5.6 lbs.
- warranty: lifetime
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- In-wall loudspeaker
- Scrim cloth
- Cutout template
- Instruction Manual
Why Shop With Us?10 Reasons.
Features and Specs
|Quantity in Package||Single|
|Cutout Size||6.4375 x 14.125|
|Power Range (Watts)||10-130|
|Frequency Response||Not givenHz|
|Connector Type||Spring clip|
Two-Way In-Wall Speaker: The Revel by Harman W253L in-wall speaker utilizes a two-way driver design. It features a 1" angle-adjustable aluminum dome high-output tweeter with an integrated wave guide that provides optimized response both on and off axis. It also houses two 5.25" aluminum woofers with rubber surrounds for high output with low distortion. A high-order crossover network delivers seamless blending between the tweeter and woofer, as well as accurate timbre reproduction.
Spring-Post Terminals: The W253L in-wall loudspeaker is equipped with a set of spring-post terminals that will accept speaker cable terminated with banana plugs (single or dual) and bare wire (up to 10AWG). Use high-quality speaker wire to obtain the best performance from the Revel in-wall speaker.
- For wire lengths of less than 50', use at least 16AWG speaker wire.
- For wire lengths of 50' to 100', use at least 12AWG speaker wire.
- For wire lengths of greater than 100' use at least 10AWG speaker wire.
Magnetic Grille: The in-wall loudspeaker comes with a rectangular metal mesh grille. Powerful magnets in the speaker frame securely hold the grille in place. The grille covers the entire outer frame of the speaker and is extremely low-profile (sits out only 0.25" from the wall). The included grille can be painted to match your room's décor.
Applications: The Revel Architectural series in-wall speaker can be used in a two-channel stereo or home theater setup.
- Two-Channel Stereo: Place the left and right loudspeakers the same distance from the primary listening area (or as close to the same distance as possible). The distance from each speaker to its nearest side wall should also be the as close to the same distance as possible. Ideally, the distance between the left and right loudspeakers should be slightly less than their distance from the primary listening area.
- Home Theater: The front left and front right
loudspeakers should be located on either side of the video display, with
their tweeters as close to ear level as possible. The front left and front
right loudspeakers should be relatively close to the sides of the video
display, while the center loudspeaker should be aligned with the center of
the video display (its tweeter should be no more than 2' above or below the
tweeters of the front left and front right speakers.
- 5.1ch Surround: In a 5.1ch system, the surround left and surround right loudspeakers should be located to the sides of the main listening area (5'-7' from the floor).
- 7.1ch Surround: In a 7.1ch system, the surround left and surround right loudspeakers should be located to the sides of the main listening area (5' to 7' from the floor), while the surround back left and surround back right loudspeakers should be located on the rear wall (3'-6' apart and 5'-7' from the floor).
Mounting Options: The W253L is designed to mount in a 0.5"-2" thick wall; it can be installed horizontally or vertically. Make sure the drywall, plywood or other wall material is capable of withstanding the weight (5.6 lbs) of the speaker. Use the included template to assist you with marking the cutout opening (6.4375" x 14.125") for the speaker. Be sure there is at least 3.4375" of mounting depth behind the wall, and allow at least 1" between the edge of the supplied installation template and any rafters or other obstructions behind the wall - so the speaker's "dog-ear" clamps will have room to engage fully. Use a phillips-head screwdriver to tighten the eight "dog-ear" clamps and secure the speaker in your wall.
Position-Independent, Double-Blind Listening Tests: Every Revel by Harman loudspeaker is compared head-to-head with competitors' models in a position-independent, double-blind listening facility. True research-quality processes assure the validity of the listening tests, which employ the latest psychoacoustic research.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Looking for more? Check out the next model in this lineup.
Get sound-shaping control and better power handling
The Revel W553L offers these features:
three-position tweeter level control cuts or boosts high-frequency output to ideally suit your room's acoustics
recommended amplifier power: 10-150 watts
micro-ceramic composite (MCC) woofers
Frequently Compared With
In-wall multi-purpose home theater speaker$300.00 each
In-wall multi-purpose home theater speaker$450.00 each
Monitor Audio CP-WT240LCR
Controlled Performance Series in-wall multi-purpose speaker with built-in back-box$499.99 each