Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5020UB
3-LCD 1080p 3D high-definition projector
Item # 278HC5020 | MFR # V11H527020
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5020UB by Crutchfield's Steve Kindig
Get a picture that pops in 2D or 3D
Epson's Home Cinema 5020UB is the ideal 3D projector for movie fans who are serious about picture quality. It has all the resolution and brightness necessary for an exceptional picture, even on large screens 120" or bigger. Connect a 3D video source, slip on a pair of Epson's 3D glasses and watch as your screen becomes a picture window where scenes have almost limitless depth. Even if you don't care about 3D, the 5020's high contrast, accurate color, and versatile placement options make it an easy recommendation in this price range.
Enough light for bright rooms, enough control for dark rooms
Many high-performance projectors are designed for use in darkened or dimly-lit rooms, which is fine if you have a dedicated room, but if you don't it can be a limitation. The 5020UB has loads of light power, so it's ideal for real-world family rooms, home theaters with really big screens, and situations where others in the room need to keep some lights on. There's even a picture preset called "Living Room" designed for ambient light conditions. The 5020UB's high brightness also comes in handy for 3D viewing since 3D glasses tend to dim the picture a bit. Three of the projector's picture settings are dedicated to 3D, so you can enjoy a gorgeous 3D picture without changing the settings for watching in 2D. If you are able to make your room really dark, you'll want to use one of the projector's lower light settings, and turn on the "auto iris" feature, which optimizes black level and contrast for each scene.
Flexible placement and hookup options
For spontaneous or "event" viewing, the 5020UB sets up easily on a table or shelf. Or you can get a bracket and ceiling-mount it. Horizontal and vertical "lens shift" allow you to position the projector off-center and still get a perfectly true image. Two HDMI inputs and a component video input are available for your high-definition sources. Blu-ray movies viewed with the 5020UB will melt your mind — and you'll want to dig out your favorite DVD titles, too, because Epson's Super Resolution "smart sharpening" feature gives standard-definition video sources a cleaner, clearer look.
For optimum performance, a separate projection screen is recommended.
Great Projector. I put together a home theater on a budget and knew I needed a good projector, I think I made the right choice with this one. It has plenty of features, looks great, runs quiet especially in eco mode, and setup was very simple.
BS, Holly Springs, NC
What's in the Box:
- Video projector
- 10' AC power cord
- Remote control
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 2 RF Active 3D glasses
- Two 40" USB charging cables (with a USB type-A connector on one end and a micro-USB connector on other end)
- USB/AC charger
- 2 Drawstring pouches
- 2 Cleaning cloths
- 2 HDMI cable clamps
- CD-ROM User's Guide
- Quick Setup Guide
- Extra Care Home Service booklet
- 3D Glasses Specifications
- Declaration of Conformity
- high-definition projector (digital TV reception requires a separate HDTV tuner)
- widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio (can also display 4:3 material)
- 3LCD, 3-chip technology (1920 x 1080 pixels each)
- displays 3D images when you wear Epson's active 3D glasses (two pairs of glasses are included)
- 2D-to-3D conversion adds 3D-like depth to non-3D video sources (HDMI inputs only)
- Split Screen mode simultaneously projects two video sources side by side (not available when using two HDMI sources, or with 3D viewing)
- 320,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio
- light output: 2400 lumens
- dynamic iris for excellent contrast and black level
- Super Resolution detail enhancement improves the look of standard-definition video
- Frame Interpolation for reduced motion judder
- optical grade Fujinon® lens with 2.1X zoom (manual zoom/focus)
- lens shift image adjustment (manual, horizontal and vertical)
- powered retractable lens cap protects lens when projector is not in use
- 230-watt UHE lamp (lasts up to 5000 hours in Eco mode)
- ultra-quiet cooling fan (22 dB in Eco mode)
- illuminated remote control
- picture settings memory for each video input
Connections and Dimensions:
- 4 video inputs, including:
- 1 composite video
- 1 component video
- 2 HDMI v1.4
- PC input
- RS-232C port for external control of the projector via compatible computer or third-party control device
- detachable power cord
- 18-3/8"W x 6-1/4"H x 18-1/2"D
- weight: 18.4 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years parts & labor in-home or carry-in service (90 days on lamp)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- Note: front projectors don't include any type of built-in TV tuner, but they can display signals from an HDTV tuner, satellite receiver or cable box
Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5020UB Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Aspect Ratio||16:9, 4:3|
|Resolution (pixels)||1920 x 1080|
|Approximate Lamp Life||4000 hrs (5000 ECO)|
|Bulb Wattage||230 Watts|
|Brightness (in ANSI Lumens)||2400 lumens|
|Vertical Lens Shift||Yes|
|Horizontal Lens Shift||Yes|
|Vertical Keystone Correction||Yes|
|Horizontal Keystone Correction||No|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|Type of Warranty Service||In-home or Carry-in|
|Total Video Inputs||4|
|Wireless HDMI Input||No|
|Component Video Inputs||1|
|Composite Video Inputs||1|
|USB Media Port||No|
Overview: The Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5020UB is a Full HD 1080p LCD projector with 3D capability. With the Home Cinema 5020UB, you can project movies, videos, games, slideshows, and presentations up to 300" (diagonally). The projector does not have built-in speakers, or any audio output whatsoever.
C²Fine 3LCD, 3-chip Technology: The Home Cinema 5020UB features C²Fine 3LCD, 3-chip technology to give you rich, vibrant images for enjoying spectacular movies, games, and sporting events in your home, or to deliver sizzling business presentations at the office. This technology requires 25% less electricity per lumen of brightness when compared to 1-chip DLP projectors. The projector's 1080Perfect video processing gives you more film-like images, free of noise or artifacts.
Projection Lamp: The projector uses an energy-efficient E-TORL 230-watt Ultra High Efficiency (UHE) lamp with a life span of approximately 4000 hours in the Normal Mode. In the ECO mode, the life span is increased to approximately 5000 hours. The lamp (Part # V13H010L69) and air filter (Part # V13H134A39) are the only user-serviceable parts.
Fan Cooled: The projection lamp is kept cool by a fan. The fan noise level is 32dB in Normal mode and 22dB in ECO mode. If the projector is to be used at an altitude above 4921 feet (1500 meters), the High Altitude Mode should be turned on so the fan can properly cool the projector at the high altitude air pressure.
Fujinon Lens: The Home Cinema 5020UB features an F2.0-3.17 Fujinon lens with a focal length of 22.5mm to 42.7mm. It has a manual focus and a manual zoom ratio of 1.0 to 2.1. If the projected image is not centered in front of the screen, you can correct the position of the image using the vertical and horizontal lens shift dials on the top of the projector. The vertical position can be adjusted by up to 96% of the height of the screen, while the horizontal position can be adjusted by up to 47% of the width of the screen. The vertical keystone buttons, located on the side of the projector, can correct the shape of the image, if it is not rectangular. The unit does not have a horizontal keystone adjustment.
Light Output: In the normal mode, the PowerLite Home Cinema 5020UB outputs 2400 lumens of white light and 2400 lumens of color light for bright, balanced colorful images. The white light output is measured using ISO 21118, a more rigid standard than the ANSI lumens rating used by many competitors. The projector is capable of a dynamic contrast ratio up to 320,000:1.
1080P Native Resolution: The PowerLite Home Cinema 5020UB has a native resolution of 1080p (1920 x 1080; 16:9 aspect ratio). The total number of pixels is 2,073,600 dots (1920 x 1080) x 3. You can resize the picture by changing the aspect ratio to 4:3 or 16:10.
Multiple Sources: The PowerLite Home Cinema 5020UB has inputs for multiple sources to give you lots of choices. For connecting to your video equipment, the unit features two HDMI (Ver.1.4) inputs, a component video input, and a composite video input. You can also connect your computer to the projector via the VGA input (D-Sub 15-pin). The unit is compatible with both PCs and Macs. Two cable clips are included to help secure the HDMI cables to the projector.
THX 3D Display Certification (2D-to-3D Conversion): The PowerLite Home Cinema 5020UB is THX 3D certified to deliver exquisite, natural textures and film-like movie experiences. Epson's advanced Bright 3D Drive technology enhances the brightness giving you theater-quality 3D images in your home. To view 3D content, you must first connect a 3D-compatible video device to one of the HDMI ports. You will also need Epson RF Active Shutter 3D glasses for each viewer. Two pair of glasses are included; additional 3D glasses (278RF3DG, sold separately) available. The projector's 2D-to-3D Conversion setting will transform 2D images to 3D content.
Compatible Video Formats: The projector supports analog video in NTSC, PAL, and SECAM formats, and it automatically adjusts to the incoming signal. It can receive these formats as composite or component video. The projector also supports digital video (SDTV, HDTV) and various monitor display formats. Digital video is accepted by the HDMI and Component video ports. The PC port accepts analog RGB computer monitor signals.
|Video Input||Format||Refresh Rate (Hz)||Resolution|
|Composite Video||NTSC||60||720 x 480|
|PAL||50/60||720 x 576|
|Component Video||SDTV||480i||60||720 x 480|
|576i||50||720 x 576|
|480p||60||720 x 480|
|HDTV||720p||50/60||1280 x 720|
|1080i||1920 x 1080|
|Analog RGB (computer display)||VGA||60/72/75/85||640 x 480|
|SVGA||56/60/72/75/85||800 x 600|
|XGA||60/70/75/85||1024 x 768|
|SXGA||70/75/85||1152 x 864|
|60/75/85||1280 x 960|
|1280 x 1024|
|WXGA||60||1280 x 768|
|1360 x 768|
|60/75/85||1280 x 800|
|HDMI (2D)||VGA||60||640 x 480|
|SDTV||480i||60||720 x 480|
|576i||50||720 x 576|
|480p||60||720 x 480|
|576p||50||720 x 576|
|HDTV||720p||50/60||1280 x 720|
|1080i||1920 x 1080|
|HDMI (3D)||720p||50/60||1280 x 720 (Frame Pack)|
|1080i||1920 x 1080 (Side by Side)|
|24||1920 x 1080 (Frame Pack)|
Picture Quality Settings: If the image looks fuzzy, or if it contains noise or flickering, you can use these settings to correct it.
- Sharpness: Use this function to make lines and edges appear more distinct in the image. This setting is stored separately for each image source and color mode setting.
- Progressive: Converts interlaced to progressive signals. Leave the setting on Film/Auto for viewing movies on a player that produces interlaced output. Select Video for watching videos captured with a video camera. Set to Off when viewing images with a large amount of movement. This setting can be used only when viewing a composite video signal, or 480i or 576i, or 1080i signals input through the Component or HDMI.
- Motion Detection: This setting specifies how signals are converted to progressive signals. Select a lowersetting for slow-moving or still images (S) or select a higher number for video images (M). This setting can be used only when viewing a composite video signal, or 480i or 576i, or 1080i signals input through the Component or HDMI.
- Noise Reduction: This setting reduces flickering of analog images. You can select from 3 levels of noise reduction. This is not be available with a signal input through the PC port.
- Frame Interpolation: This setting compares the current and previous frames, then creates a frame between them to reduce fuzziness and produce clearer moving images. You can select from 3 levels of frame interpolation.
- Super Resolution: This setting sharpens blurred images, enhancing the apparent detail of the image. You can select from 3 levels of enhancement. Note that intentionally blurred parts of the image, such as out-of-focus backgrounds, may become sharper. This feature is not available when projecting 3D.
Color Modes: The PowerLite Home Cinema 5020UB offers six color modes to optimize viewing for different environments and image content. The Color Mode adjusts the brightness, contrast, and color for the best possible picture. A different color mode can be selected for each input source. You can select from the following choices:
- Cinema: for viewing movies in a dimly lit room
- Dynamic: for projecting the brightest picture available
- Living Room: for watching television programs during the day
- Natural: for projecting natural, accurate colors in a dimly lit room
- 3D Dynamic: for projecting the brightest 3D picture available (3D mode only)
- 3D Cinema: for viewing 3D movies in a dimly lit room (3D mode only)
Color Settings: If the image colors don't look correct, you can adjust them using these settings. Use the first three settings described below to make the most visible changes. If you only need to make slight adjustments, you can fine-tune the picture with the remaining settings. Most color settings are stored separately for each image source and color mode.
- Color Saturation: Adjusts the color intensity of the image. Cannot be used with PC input.
- Tint: Shifts the color balance between magenta and green. Cannot be used with PC input.
- Color Temperature: Shifts the color balance between red and blue, making the image appear warmer or cooler.
- Skin Tone: Makes fine adjustments to the tint and controls the amount of red or green in the image. Also useful for correcting black-and-white images, if they look tinted.
- RGB: Use the RGB settings to fine-tune the color of the image. You can adjust the offset and gain for each signal color (red, green, and blue). Use Offset to adjust darker shades and Gain for the lightest shades
- RGBCMY: Use the RGBCMY settings to adjust the hue, saturation, and brightness of the six color components (red, green, blue, cyan, magenta, yellow).
- Gama: You can select from five gamma settings (2.0 to 2.4) or customize your own setting from your image or a displayed graph. Lower values will increase the contrast of dark areas, but tend to blur the bright areas. Higher values will darken the light areas.
Auto Iris: The Auto Iris system constantly controls the light output based on the gamma and black/white levels of the projected content to give you perfectly adjusted images and deepest blacks. Using the remote, you can select either Normal or High Speed to indicate how quickly you would like the projector to respond to changes in the brightness of the image.
Split Screen Mode: The Home Cinema 5020UB's Split Screen mode allows you to simultaneously project two images from different image sources next to each other. The side-by-side images can be equal size or one larger than the other. You can also choose which audio source you want to hear between the displayed images. The Split Screen mode is not available in 3D mode.
Adjustable Image Size: The PowerLite Home Cinema 5020UB projector can produce an image that is adjustable between 30" and 300" (measured diagonally).
Lens Projection Distance: The projector's adjustable lens provides a wide range of placement possibilities for a given screen size. The projection distance (distance from lens to screen) range is 2.85' to 47.57'. The distance for several screen sizes at 16:9 and 4:3 aspect ratios are given below:
|Projection Distance (in feet)|
|40"||3.8 to 8.3||4.7 to 10.1|
|60"||5.8 to 12.5||7.1 to 15.3|
|80"||7.8 to 16.7||9.6 to 20.4|
|100"||9.8 to 20.9||12 to 25.5|
|120"||11.8 to 25.1||14.4 to 30.7|
|150"||14.7 to 31.4||18 to 38.4|
|180"||17.7 to 37.7||---|
|200"||---||24.2 to 51.3|
Mounting Options: The PowerLite Home Cinema 5020UB can be placed on a tabletop or inverted and mounted on the ceiling. It can be used for front or rear projection. For tabletop use, you can adjust the image position by raising or lowering the front feet. For ceiling mounting, you will need an optional projector ceiling mount. Four 4mm threaded screw holes are provided on the bottom for a ceiling mount. A commercially-available Kensington security lock can be attached to the unit to prevent theft when installed in a public location.
Remote Control: In addition to the control panel, the projector can be controlled by the supplied wireless remote control, which has a range of approximately 32 feet. The projector has infrared receivers on the front and rear to give you control from most anywhere in the room. An RS-232C port is included for connecting the projector to a 3rd party A/V controller or automation system.
HDMI Link: When you connect HDMI CEC-compatible devices, such as a receiver or DVD player, to the projector via HDMI cables, you can control them using the HDMI-Link control buttons on the projector's remote control. You can register the devices you want to operate in the HDMI Link section of the projector's menu.
Trigger Output: The projector has a 3.5mm Trigger Output port which delivers a 12-volt signal (max 200 mA) to lower your motorized projector screen while the projector is powered on.
Sleep Mode: The projector turns off automatically when no video signal is received for a preset amount of time. You can set the sleep mode to 5, 10, or 30 minutes.
Warranty and Extra Care Home Service: The projector is covered by a 2-year parts and labor warranty, while the lamp is covered for 90 days. Included with the warranty, Epson offers Extra Care Home Service. A replacement unit (in most cases, a refurbished unit) will be shipped to you immediately. (A credit card is required for security deposit.) If it's important that you receive your original projector back, you should use the basic carry-in service instead of Home Service.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.