Olympus PEN E-PL9 Kit
16.1-megapixel mirrorless camera with Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, and14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 EZ lens (Brown)
Our take on the Olympus PEN E-PL9 Kit by Crutchfield's Deia Z.
The Olympus PEN E-PL9's touchscreen monitor tilts downward 180 degrees to face you.
Olympus does it again
The E-PL9 is the latest in a long line of Olympus PEN cameras dating back to the film days. These compact cameras have earned their reputation for being fun and easy to use. My own Olympus PEN is the best mirrorless camera I have ever tried. It has all the manual features my bigger DSLR cameras have, but it's lightweight and super-discreet — perfect for when I want to travel light or take candid people portraits.
Now with 4K movie recording
This is the first Olympus PEN model to offer 4K video capabilities. The E-PL9 records 4K movies at a rate of up to 30 frames per second. Monitor Mode lets you connect an external display to the camera's HDMI output so you can monitor video recording on a larger screen.
The E-PL9 has intuitive features that make it easier for anyone to use. You can focus and shoot with the shutter button or the touchscreen. The screen tilts upward so you can frame shots from lower angles, and also tilts up to 180 degrees downward so you can get a good selfie.
Capture things your phone camera can't
When it comes to photographing fast motion or dimly lit scenes, the E-PL9 leaves your phone in the dust. Its fast 121-point autofocus system locks onto your subject and tracks it throughout the image plane, so you can fire off a series of burst shots to capture any kind of action.
The E-PL9's three-axis image stabilization compensates for different kinds of camera movement to effectively reduce image blur. This feature also lets you get better shots in low light and minimizes camera shake in your videos.
A low-profile, go-anywhere lens
The included M. Zuiko 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 EZ lens is a mid-range pancake zoom that's perfect for everyday use. Great for landscapes and portraits, its short minimum focus distance makes it an excellent choice for close-ups too.
The lens's large maximum aperture gives you dreamy background blur to emphasize your subject. The lens's Movie & Stills Compatible (MSC) autofocus system and electronic zoom mechanism give you near silent control so you won't hear it working when you're shooting video with sound.
Share instantly and expand your control
Uploading photos is quick and easy with the E-PL9's built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. My Olympus PEN is the first camera I've ever had with Wi-Fi, and I love being able to control it with my phone through the Olympus Image Share app.
I've used the app's remote feature to take shots of animals and landscapes with the camera on a tripod or on the ground, and I've also used it for self-portraits and to include myself in group shots. It's so cool to be able to change settings, focus, and zoom right from my phone.
- 16.1-megapixel effective recording
- Micro Four Thirds-type Live MOS image sensor (17.3 x 13.0 mm)
- compatible with Micro Four Thirds lenses
- includes M.Zuiko 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 EZ pancake zoom lens (35mm equivalent focal length: 28-84mm)
- 4K video recording up to 30 frames per second
- built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth fast, easy image transfer and control from smart devices
- TruePic™ VIII Dual Quad Core processor improves focus performance and overall camera speed
- three-axis in-body image stabilization provides shake and movement compensation for clear, sharp handheld photos and videos in any light
- 3" 1.04-million dot tilting LCD touchscreen with brightness control tilts up to 80 degrees upward or 180 degrees downward for creative composition at high or low angles
- full-time live view mode lets you instantly see how your settings will affect the image
- built-in Supersonic Wave Filter dust reduction system activates when the camera powers on and uses high-speed vibrations to clean the sensor for spot-free images
- 121-point contrast-detection autofocus system for accurate, high-speed focusing, even when subject is in motion
- AF tracking locks focus and adjusts brightness for sharp captures of moving subjects
- face/eye detection autofocus with face recognition captures up to 8 faces for sharp candids and portraits
- small target autofocus lets you focus on AF points within AF points for accurate focus; magnified AF frame lets you see to adjust focus on distant subjects
- 5 different aspect ratios available for specific framing options without cropping
- digital tele-converter lets you use the touchscreen to zoom in up to 2X on the center for still images, and up to 4X on any area for videos, with minimal degradation
- classic retro-style look and feel
Exposure Modes and Controls:
- continuous shooting mode: up to 8.6 frames per second
- shutter speed range: 60-1/4,000 seconds, bulb (60-1/16000 with electronic shutter)
- sensitivity or ISO (film speed equivalent) range: 100-25,600 for crisp, low-noise images in nearly any light
- program auto, shutter-priority, aperture-priority, manual, and fully automatic exposure modes
- mode dial provides quick access to exposure settings
- 22 preset scene modes
- 16 in-camera art filters including pop art and soft focus, plus 9 in-camera art effects including pin-hole effect
- in-camera editing of JPEG and RAW files
- live bulb and live time modes display the scene on the LCD screen at set intervals so you can keep tabs on your exposure while the shutter is still open
- flash sync at 1/250 seconds or less
File Formats and Storage:
- still image storage modes: JPEG, RAW, and RAW+JPEG
- top JPEG resolution (pixels): 4,608 x 3,456
- AVC/H.264 movie files with stereo sound
- records photos and video onto optional SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards
Connections and Dimensions:
- high-speed USB 2.0 interface
- micro HDMI (Type D) output (cable not included)
- 4-5/8"W x 2-11/16"H x 1-9/16"D
- weight (with memory card and battery): 13.4 oz.
- rechargeable BLS-50 lithium ion battery and charger
- neck strap
- body cap
- USB cable
- 16GB SDHC memory card
- camera bag
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Why Shop With Us?10 Reasons.
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size||3"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||28-84mm|
|Sensor Size||Four Thirds|
|Image Stabilization||Sensor Shift|
|Highest Resolution||4608 x 3456|
|Video Resolution||3840 x 2160|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||13.4|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Frequently Compared With
Olympus PEN E-PL9 Kit
16.1-megapixel mirrorless camera with Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, and14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 EZ lens$699.99
Sony a6000 Kit
24-megapixel mirrorless camera with 16-50mm lens
Canon EOS M100 Kit
24.2-megapixel mirrorless camera with 15-45mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM zoom lens, Wi-Fi®, and Bluetooth®
Canon EOS M6 (no lens included)
24.2-megapixel mirrorless camera with Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth®$679.00$100.00 Instant Savings (ends 4/28)$779.00