Olympus M. Zuiko ED 8mm f/1.8 Fisheye PRO
Ultra-wide-angle prime lens for Olympus PEN, OM-D, and other mirrorless cameras
Our take on the Olympus M. Zuiko ED 8mm f/1.8 Fisheye PRO by Crutchfield's Deia Z.
A lens for anything and everything
With its bright maximum aperture, the Olympus M. Zuiko 8mm f/1.8 Fisheye Pro lens has the distinction of being the world's fastest fisheye as of its May, 2015 release. Its dust-, splash-, and freeze-proof design lets you use it outdoors in almost any kind of weather, and you can stay out with it after dark and get some amazing night sky photos or street scenes. Photos taken with a fisheye lens nearly always stand out in a crowd. The curved perspective you get can add a sense of whimsy or drama to any scene.
A fisheye is great for immersive landscapes, architecture and building interiors, intense close-ups of sports or action, and powerful portraits, along with nearly any other application you can think of. The lens' small minimum focus distance lets you get incredibly close to your subject while its ultra-wide angle lets you capture the surrounding context. The large depth of field of a curvilinear lens means both foreground and background will be in focus at any aperture setting.
Play with perspectives for dynamic, one-of-a-kind photos
Fisheye lenses are known for producing distorted images with curved edges, which can be a great advantage if you want to create compelling photos. If you photograph a subject straight-on at close range, you'll end up with some wacky proportions (think of those popular greeting card dog photos where a large nose is the most prominent feature). That's great fun if it's what you're going for, but try placing your subject a little further back, or shooting them from above or below, and you're likely to get some really interesting results.
If you shoot a landscape with the horizon in the center of the frame, you won't see as much distortion, but when you play with the horizon in an expansive landscape, placing it above or below the center of the frame, you'll get a real sense of the earth's curvature. Since the fisheye lens offers a 180-degree field of view along its diagonal, it captures most of what's in front of it. This means you can use software to create virtual panoramas by stitching together just a couple of shots.
- Olympus M. Zuiko ED 8mm f/1.8 fisheye PRO lens
- designed for use with Olympus PEN and OM-D cameras with Micro Four Thirds lens mounts
- compatible with mirrorless cameras
- 35mm equivalent focal length: 16mm
- dust-, splash-, and freeze-proof design
- Movie & Stills Compatible (MSC) High-speed Imager autofocus system for fast and silent focusing
- minimum focus distance: 4.72" (from image sensor plane)
- minimum aperture: f/22
- maximum aperture: f/1.8
- 17 elements in 15 groups
- 1 aspherical lens element, 3 Super ED (Extra-low Dispersion) elements, 2 ED elements, 1 Super HR (High Refractive) elements, 2 HR elements
- rounded 7-blade aperture design
- Zuiko Extra-Low Reflection Optical (ZERO) Coating
- lens is 2-1/2" in diameter, 3-3/16" long
- weight: 11.11 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- front and rear lens caps
- lens storage pouch
What's in the Box:
- M.Zuiko ED 8mm F1.8 Fisheye PRO lens
- LC-62E Front lens cap (installed)
- LR-2 Rear lens cap (installed)
- Lens pouch
- Warranty card
Why Shop With Us?10 Reasons.
Micro Four Thirds Mount: The M. Zuiko Digital ED 8mm f1.8 Fisheye Pro lens has a Micro Four Thirds mount, and is compatible with the Olympus PEN and OM-D interchangeable lens cameras. The lens is extremely bright with an f1.8 maximum aperture, and gives you extremely wide angled shots (a full 180°) for cityscapes, landscapes, and hand-held night shots. This special fisheye lens weighs 11 ounces, and comes with a soft lens pouch.
Rugged Construction: The lens is weather-sealed in 5 different locations, so it can withstand the harshest shooting conditions. It is splash, freeze, and dustproof, so you can shoot is less-than-optimal conditions.
Lens Specifications: The lens has the following specifications:
- Focal Length: 8mm
- 35mm Equivalent: 16mm
- Maximum Aperture: f1.8
- Minimum Aperture: f22
- Angle of View: 180°
- Maximum Image Magnification: 0.20x (0.40x 35mm equivalent)
- Lens Construction: 17 elements in 15 groups (including 1 Aspherical lens, 3 Super ED lenses, 2 ED lenses, 1 Super HR lens, and 2 HR lenses)
- Closest Focusing Distance: 4.72"
- Diaphragm: 7 blade circular aperture
- Dimensions: Diameter=2.442" Length=3.359" (2.69"D x 3.615"L w/caps)
- Weight: 11.11 ounces
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Product reviews from the Crutchfield Labs
Why did you buy this?
Brightest fisheye available for m43 [ Richard Jan 08, 2016 ]