Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Olympus Stylus 1
12-megapixel digital camera with 10.7X optical zoom and Wi-Fi®
From Olympus: Stylus 1
From Olympus: Stylus 1
From Olympus: Stylus 1 Shooting Style
From Olympus: Stylus 1 Shooting Style
Item # 279STYLUS1 | MFR # V109010BU000
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Olympus Stylus 1 by Crutchfield's David Brown
The Stylus 1 offers DSL styling and manual controls in a compact design.
Where serious and aspiring photographers meet
What do budding camera enthusiasts and serious shutterbugs have in common? They both love cameras like the Olympus Stylus 1. Inspired by their OM-series DSLR cameras, the Stylus 1 marries superior image quality with compact convenience. Less experienced photographers who may not feel ready for a DSLR will appreciate how easy this camera's many advanced features are to use. More seasoned shooters will love this long-zoom camera's compact form. The lens retracts fully into the camera's body, giving it a slim profile that's a great alternative to bulky DSLR kits.
A fixed-aperture lens keeps your subject in the light
The Stylus 1 stands apart from many enthusiast cameras, offering a constant f/2.8 aperture value across an impressive 10.7X zoom range. While pros know exactly what that means, amateurs will learn how this camera is able to gather plenty of light even at telephoto focal lengths. So whereas many cameras require slower shutter speeds for detailed, vibrant shots at full zoom, the Stylus 1 has no such problem. That means that if you're zoomed in on your daughter while she's running a fast break down the basketball court, you can capture her mid-dribble, for a clean, detailed shot with the proper exposure. That's better than having to choose between a photo of a dark figure or a blurry blob.
Take control with the assignable control ring
The Olympus Stylus 1's long-zoom lens fully retracts into the camera's body, keeping it slim and easy to carry.
Experienced photographers are used to manipulating settings on the fly. The Stylus 1's manual control ring offers tactile, hands-on operation without bewildering less experienced users. You can assign digital or analog functions to the control ring such as focus, exposure, and composition. Manually zoom or focus for finely tuned accuracy, or click through shutter speeds quickly while lining up your shot. There's also a side-barrel zoom lever as well as a sub-dial for more operational versatility.
Built-in Wi-Fi for photo-sharing and remote operation
All photographers, no matter their skill level, enjoy sharing their work. The Olympus Stylus 1 makes sharing easy with built-in Wi-Fi. Download the free Olympus Image Share app to your Apple® or Android™ smartphone, scan the camera's QR code (availble for display on the LCD monitor), and the camera creates an instant wireless connection with your device. Then you can transfer photos wirelessly, geotag them with location information, and even control the camera remotely to set up and snap shots using a tripod.
Choose your view
Novices will love the Stylus 1's high-resolution touchscreen monitor. It even pulls out and tilts, so you can shoot from the hip or above your head while still seeing the display. Pros will appreciate the electronic viewfinder. Just hold it up to your eye and a sensor automatically activates it. Offering 100 percent coverage, it also lets you preview exposure compensation, white balance, and art filters.
I love the camera, easy to use right from the beginning the clarity is great in a moment's notice I can go from automatic to manual. What more can I ask for?
What's in the Box:
- Digital camera (black)
- BLS-5 Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (7.2V 1150mAh)
- BCS-5 Battery charger (DC output: 8.35V 0.4A)
- 6' AC cord
- 54" USB cable (Type A USB on one end and a proprietary connector on the other end)
- Neck strap
- Olympus Setup CD-ROM (software and Instruction Manual)
- Quick Start Guide
- Warranty Card
- Power plug sheet
- 12-megapixel effective recording with backside-illuminated CMOS sensor
- 10.7X optical zoom (2X digital zoom)
- 3" tilting high-resolution touchscreen LCD (1,040,000 dots)
- high -resolution electronic viewfinder (1,440,000 dots) with eye sensor and dioptic adjuster, approx. 100% coverage
- 35mm equivalent focal length: 28-300mm
- records photos and video onto optional SD, SDHC, or SDXC memory cards
- f/2.8 fixed-aperture iZuiko lens offers superior light-gathering ability across the zoom range
- built-in Wi-Fi creates a direct connection between the camera and your compatible smartphone for wireless photo sharing and remote camera control (requires the free Olympus Image Share app for Apple or Android)
- optical image stabilization for blur-free photos
- hybrid control ring allows assignable digital and analog manual adjustments
- TruePic VI Image Processor produces photos with clear detail, natural colors, and low noise
- touchscreen auto focus delivers fast, accurate focus with a tap of the touchscreen monitor
- records in RAW and JPEG formats for greater creative flexibility during editing
- built-in neutral density filter for capturing motion blur without overexposing the shot
- variable ISO settings: 100-12,800
- full-HD movie mode (up to 1080p resolution)
- continuous shooting captures up to 7 frames per second at full resolution
- exposure bracketing snaps shots at various exposures to create a single photo with balanced contrast
- ePortrait mode lets you soften shadows or smooth complexions before or after shooting
- 11 art filters and 5 art effects for stills and video include Grainy Film, Pop Art, and Frame Effect
- accessory shoe for use with optional accessories
- built-in flash
Connections and Dimensions:
- micro HDMI output for connecting the camera to a compatible HDTV (cable not included)
- high-speed USB interface (cable included)
- 5-1/16"W x 3-7/16"H x 2-3/4"D
- weight (with battery and memory card): 14 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- rechargeable lithium-ion battery (BLS-5) and charging station
- USB cable
- neck strap
- software CD-ROM
Olympus Stylus 1 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size||3"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||28-300mm|
|Sensor Size||1/1.7" CMOS|
|Highest Resolution||3968 x 2976|
|Video Resolution||1920 x 1080|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||14|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Optics: The Olympus Stylus 1 is equipped with a powerful 10.7x iZUIKO zoom lens that maintains a constant f/2.8 aperture throughout the entire zoom range. The lens has a focal length of 6.0-64.3mm (equivalent to 28-300mm in 35mm photography). The 10.7x optical zoom lets you get close to the action, while the 28mm wide angle lens allows you to capture wide landscapes and group pictures.
Optional Tele-converter: The optional TCON-17x Tele-converter increases the end of the zoom range from 300mm to 510mm (35mm equivalent), but still maintains the F2.8 maximum aperture throughout the zoom range. The CLA-13 Converter Adapter is required to attach the TCON-17x to the camera lens.
Digital Tele-converter: The Digital Tele-converter is used to zoom in beyond the current zoom ratio. The camera saves the center crop, which increases the zoom by about 2x. The Digital Tele-converter can be turned on or off in the menu.
Tiltable LCD Touch Screen Monitor: The camera is equipped with a 3.0" color LCD monitor with approximately 920,000 dots, and an aspect ratio of 3:2. The Stylus 1 offers a 15-level monitor brightness adjustment and a 15-level monitor color temperature adjustment in the menu. You can also choose between Natural and Vivid monitor color display. The monitor can be tilted upward to 80° and downward to 50°, for easier viewing during low-angle or high-angle shooting. By touching the monitor you can perform several functions, including touch shutter release, touch live guide, AF area selection, frame advance/backward, enlargement playback, and touch super control panel.
Viewfinder: In addition to the LCD monitor, the Stylus 1 offers an eye-level electronic viewfinder (EVF) with 1,440,000 dots and 100% field of view. The diopter allows you to adjust the viewfinder to your personal eyesight. Like the LCD monitor, the viewfinder has separate +7 to -7 brightness and color temperature controls. A built-in eye sensor automatically switches to the viewfinder as you bring the camera up to your eye, and switches to the LCD monitor as your lower the camera away from your face. The rubber eyecup can be removed and replaced by an optional larger eyecup (EP-11).
Image Sensor: The Olympus Stylus 1 features a 1/1.7" BSI CMOS image sensor with approximately 12.76-million total pixels, and 12-million effective pixels.
Recording Media: The Stylus 1 records still images or movies onto optional SD, SDHC, or SDXC Memory Cards, including Ultra High Speed UHS-1 cards. Still images are recorded in JPEG format. Movies are recorded in MOV (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264) and AVI (Motion JPEG) formats with PCM sound.
Built-in Wi-Fi: You can use the wireless LAN functions on the camera to share and transfer images wirelessly, and operate the camera remotely from a Wi-Fi-connected smartphone. The smartphone must be running the Olympus Image Share (OI.Share) application, available from Google Play for Android devices (version 2.3 and up) and from iTunes for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch (iOS 5 or later). In addition, you can add location information to your images when using a smartphone with a GPS function. The wireless LAN function on the camera cannot be used to connect to a home or public access point.
Image Stabilization: When shooting in low light situations or with high magnification, the Image Stabilizer can help reduce camera shake and eliminate blurred images. The Stylus 1 utilizes a VCM Mechanical Lens shift image stabilization system with 2-dimensional activation (yaw/pitch shift).
Camera Controls: The Stylus 1 has three customizable controls that allow you to assign your frequently-used settings for instant access. Two Function buttons (Fn1 and Fn2) can be programmed for such functions as Image Quality, Aspect, Flash, AF mode, ISO, Picture Mode, Scene Mode, Art Filters, and Face Priority. The Control Ring around the lens can be used to quickly and easily set the aperture value or shutter speed in the P, S, A, and M modes. You can reverse the direction in which the ring is rotated to adjust shutter speed or aperture, if desired. It can also be rotated for precise focus in the Manual Focus mode, or to set the trimming size when cropping a photo in playback mode.
Focusing Range: The focus range for the normal shooting mode is 4" to infinity for wide angle and 2.6' to infinity in telephoto. In the Super Macro mode, the range is 2" to 2'.
AF Illuminator: The camera has a built-in LED illuminator that assists in Auto Focusing, or illuminates a subject in shadows. It can be set to automatically illuminate when the shutter button is pressed halfway.
Flash: The camera's built-in flash operates in the following modes:
- Flash Auto: The flash fires automatically in low light or backlight conditions.
- Red-eye Reduction Flash: This emits pre-flashes for red-eye reduction.
- Fill-in Flash: The flash fires regardless of the available light.
- Slow Synchronization: Slow shutter speeds are used to brighten dimly-lit backgrounds.
- Slow Sync/Red-eye Reduction: Slow sync is combined with red-eye reduction.
- Manual Flash: Allows manual control of the flash.
- Flash Off: The flash does not fire.
External Flash: The Stylus 1 has a hot shoe for attaching an optional external flash unit, such as the Olympus FL-36R, FL-50R, FL-300R, and FL-600R. These external flash units communicate with the camera, allowing you to control the camera's flash modes with various available flash control modes, such as TTL-AUTO. The units listed above have a remote control mode that can be used for wireless flash photography.
Self-Timer: You can take pictures of yourself using the 12-second built-in self timer. The 2-second self-timer also aids in preventing camera shake. You can also customize the self-timer by setting the number of frames, the delay time, and the interval time between shots.
Power Requirements: The Stylus 1 operates on the BLS-5 rechargeable Lithium-ion battery (7.2-volts, 1150 mAh). The supplied BCS-5 battery charger can charge the battery in approximately 3.5 hours. A fully charged battery can provide enough power for approximately 410 shots.
Still Images: The Stylus 1 can record still images in RAW and JPEG formats. RAW (12-bit lossless compression) format stores unprocessed image data directly from the image sensor for later editing and processing. RAW images can only be taken at one resolution: 3968 x 2976. JPEG images can be recorded in three sizes (L, M, S) in four aspect ratios (4:3, 16:9, 3:2, 1:1) at four compression rates (SuperFine 1/2.7, Fine 1/4, Normal 1/8, Basic 1/12). Images can be recorded at the following resolutions:
|Large||3968 x 2976||3968 x 2232||3968 x 2648||2976 x 2976|
|Medium||2560 x 1920||2560 x 1440||2544 x 1696||1920 x 1920|
|Small||1280 x 960||1280 x 720||1296 x 864||960 x 960|
Movies: Full HD and HD movies can be recorded in MOV format (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264) and High Speed movies are recorded in AVI (Motion JPEG) format. The maximum length is 29 minutes for Full HD and HD movies, and 20 seconds for High Speed movies. Individual files can be up to 4 GB in size. Movies are recorded in the following sizes/frame rates:
|Record Mode||Pixel Count||Frame Rate|
|Full HD||1920 x 1080||30 fps|
|HD||1280 x 720||30 fps|
|HS 120||640 x 480||120 fps|
|HS 240||320 x 240||240 fps|
Shooting Modes: The camera lets you choose between several shooting modes:
- iAuto: The camera automatically selects the optimal shooting mode for the scene.
- Program: The camera automatically sets shutter speed and aperture, but allows you to make changes to a wide range of other settings. Program shift allows you to choose different combinations of aperture value and shutter speed without altering the exposure.
- Aperture-Priority: You choose the aperture value and the camera automatically adjusts the shutter speed for optimal exposure. Larger apertures decrease depth-of-field, while smaller apertures increase depth-of-field.
- Shutter-Priority: You choose the shutter speed and the camera automatically adjusts the aperture value for optimal exposure. Faster shutter speeds capture action without blur.
- Manual: The Manual mode lets you choose both the aperture value and the shutter speed.
- Custom Mode: You can register pre-selected settings and store them in C1 or C2 for later use.
- Photo Story: When shooting, an image is incorporated into a layout frame set to create a desired collage.
- Scene: Lets you select from the following pre-programmed settings: Portrait, e-Portrait, Landscape, Sport, Night Scene, Night+Portrait, Sunset, Documents, Panorama, Fireworks, Multi Exposure, and Beach & Snow
- Art Filter: Lets you choose from the following filter effects: Pop Art, Soft Focus, Pale & Light Color, Light Tone, Grainy Film, Pin Hole, Diorama, Cross Process, Gentle Sepia, Dramatic Tone, and Key Line.
Sequential Shooting: The camera can take one frame at a time, or a sequence of pictures at a time by holding down the shutter button. During Sequential Shooting, the camera takes about 7 frames per second while the shutter button is pressed.
Sensitivity: The higher the ISO value, the greater the camera's light sensitivity and better its ability to shoot in low light. The Stylus 1 can automatically set the camera's sensitivity according to the conditions around the subject. Manual settings include ISO 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 6400, and 12800 equivalents.
AF Target: The camera lets you manually select the AF target for auto focusing. You can choose All Targets and the camera automatically chooses from the full set of 35 focus targets. You can also select Single Target for pinpoint focusing on a small subject. When Single Target is selected, you can use the arrow buttons to move the focus point to your subject.
Exposure Compensation: In some situations, you may get better results by adjusting the exposure slightly using exposure compensation. You can adjust from -3.0 to + 3.0 EV in 1/3 stop increments.
Still Image Audio Recording: When activated, the camera's built-in microphone can be set to record up to 30 seconds of audio after the shutter button is released and the picture is taken. In the playback menu, you can add up to 30 seconds of audio to still pictures.
Image Playback: Once still images or movies have been captured, the camera gives you several options for playing them back:
- Manual Playback: View images manually one-by-one
- Slide Show: Play still images back as a slide show. You can select to include all images, or images and movies. You can choose to include background music (5 types or none), transitions (normal, fader, or zoom), and the slide interval (2 to 10 seconds).
- Index View: For viewing multiple images at once, you can create an index display of 25 frames.
- Playback Zoom: In single-frame playback, you can zoom in on the photo up to 14x. Once you are zoomed in, you can move around the picture using the arrow buttons.
Outputs: The Stylus 1 is equipped with an HDMI Micro Connector (Type D) for connecting the camera to an HDMI-equipped HDTV. The output can be set to 1080i, 720p, or 480p. If the connected HDTV is compatible with HDMI Control, you can set the camera to be controlled by the TV's remote control. The camera also has a proprietary multi-connector jack used as an audio/video output (with the optional CB-AVC3 cable) or a USB port (with the supplied USB cable).
Editing Pictures: You can edit your photos using one of the following:
- RAW Data Edit: Lets you create a JPEG copy of a RAW image.
- Shadow Adjust: You can brighten areas that are dark due to backlighting of other reasons
- Redeye Fix: Red-eyes caused by flash shooting can be retouched.
- Cropping: You can zoom in using the cropping frame, and create a new image.
- Aspect: Lets you change the aspect ratio of your photo from 4:3 to 3:2, 16:9, or 1:1.
- Image Size: You can save a high-resolution image as a separate image with a smaller size to use in e-mail attachments or other applications. You can choose 1280 x 960, 640 x 480 or 320 x 240.
- e-Portrait: Makes skin look smooth and translucent.
Erasing/Protecting Images: Unwanted images can be erased one at a time or all at once. You can protect important images to avoid accidentally erasing them. Once an image is protected, it cannot be erased during a single-frame erase or all-frame erase function. Protected images are erased when the memory is reformatted.
PictBridge Printing Capability: Using the supplied USB cable, you can connect this camera directly to a PictBridge-compliant printer. PictBridge is a standard that allows you to connect a PictBridge compliant camera directly to a PictBridge compliant printer and make prints, regardless of brand.
Supplied Software: The Stylus 1 comes with Olympus Viewer 3 software on CD-ROM. The disc also includes a full Camera Instruction Manual. The software is compatible with the following Operating Systems:
- Windows XP (SP3)
- Windows Vista (SP2)
- Windows 7 (SP1)
- Windows 8
- Mac OS X v10.5-v10.8
Mass Storage Device: When the camera is used as a Mass Storage device, you can connect it to computers with a USB connection, running the following operating systems:
- Windows XP (SP3)
- Windows Vista (SP2)
- Windows 7 (SP1)
- Windows 8
- Mac OS X v10.5-v10.8
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.