Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
16-megapixel digital camera with 24X optical zoom (Red)
Item # 279SZ15R | MFR # V102110RU000
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Olympus SZ-15 by Crutchfield's David Brown
Powerful zoom without excess baggage
Satisfy your need to get closer without lugging around a bulky camera. The compact Olympus SZ-15 features a 24X optical zoom lens, so your kids are never out of range on the ballfield. You'll capture their expressions on stage, even from the back row of the auditorium. And with 48X super-resolution digital zoom mode, you can double the SZ-15's magnification while maintaining excellent image quality. You can even zoom in for macro shots, to get incredibly close to the smallest of near-field subjects. The 16-megapixel sensor means details aren't lost in translation, for photos and HD video you'll be anxious to share with family and friends.
Add some flair to your photos
Want to take your photos to the next level? The SZ-15 features lots of pre- and post-shot effects that don't require sophisticated software programs. Beauty Make-Up mode lets you touch up portraits by smoothing blemishes and whitening teeth. Magic Art filters can change your entire perspective on subjects by enhancing certain colors, brightening shadows or creating a fisheye effect for a greater sense of depth. Experiment with stills and movies and show off your masterworks on your HDTV with a mini HDMI cable (not included).
Camera was exactly what I expected and is very easy to use. It takes very good pictures in low light and the zoom works well. Also I have big hands and the SLR type body makes it easy to grip with my right hand.
What's in the Box:
- Digital camera (red)
- LI-50B Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (3.7V 925mAh 3.5Wh)
- F-2AC-1D AC adapter (DC output: 5V 0.55A)
- 24" USB cable (Type A USB on one end and proprietary connector on other end
- Wrist strap
- Olympus Setup CD-ROM
- Quick Start Guide
- Warranty card
- 16-megapixel effective recording
- 24X optical zoom (4X digital zoom)
- 3" LCD screen (460,000 dots)
- 35mm equivalent focal length: 25-600mm
- records photos and video onto optional SD, SDHC, or SDXC memory cards
- sensor shift image stabilization for blur-free photos
- 48X super-resolution digital zoom mode for high-quality close-ups of distant subjects
- tele macro option lets you capture clear images of subjects as close as 40cm, even with telephoto zoom
- Beauty Mode softens shadows and smooths wrinkles and blemishes for better portraits
- automatic red-eye reduction
- 11 art filters for stills and video include Reflection, Pop Art, and Soft Focus
- high-definition movie mode (up to 720p resolution)
- 14 scene modes including Landscape, Sunset, and Beach and Snow
- panorama mode stitches together up to 10 shots
- auto focus tracking keeps subjects in focus as they move
- built-in flash
Connections and Dimensions:
- mini HDMI output for connecting the camera to a compatible HDTV (cable not included)
- high-speed USB port
- 4-1/4"W x 2-3/4"H x 1-5/8"D
- weight: 7.8 oz. (with battery and memory card)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- rechargeable lithium-ion battery and charger
- USB cable
- wrist strap
- software CD-ROM
Olympus SZ-15 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size||3"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||25-600mm|
|Sensor Size||1/2.3" CCD|
|Image Stabilization||Sensor Shift|
|Highest Resolution||4608 x 3456|
|Video Resolution||1280 x 720|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||7.8|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Optics: The Olympus Stylus SZ-15 is equipped with a powerful 24x F3.0-6.9 zoom lens. The lens has a focal length of 4.5-108mm (equivalent to 25-600mm in 35mm photography). The 24x optical zoom lets you get close to the action, while the 25mm wide angle lens allows you to capture wide landscapes and group pictures. Combined with the 4x digital zoom, the total zoom capability is 96x.
Super-Resolution Zoom: The Super-Resolution Zoom increases the effective zoom power without compromising image quality. The zoom ratio depends upon the selected image size. In 4:3 aspect ratio, the Super-Res zoom extends the total zoom to 48x (16M), 33.6x (8M), 55.2x (3M), and 96x (VGA).
LCD Monitor: The camera is equipped with a 3.0" LCD monitor with approximately 460,800 dots. The SZ-15 offers a 5-level monitor brightness adjustment in the menu. There is no separate viewfinder.
Recording Media: The SZ-15 records still images or movies onto optional SD, SDHC, or SDXC Memory Cards. For test images, or when the memory card becomes full, you can shoot a small number of images onto the camera's 39MB internal memory. Still images are recorded in JPEG format. Movies are recorded in MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 with sound.
Dual Image Stabilization: The camera combines Sensor-shift Image Stabilization with high ISO sensitivity and fast shutter speeds, so you can capture sharp, blur-free images, even if your subject is moving.
Focusing Range: The focus range for the normal shooting mode is 8.4" to infinity for wide angle and 1.3' to infinity in telephoto. In the Super Macro mode, the range is 1.2" to infinity (at f=14.3mm fixed).
AF Illuminator: The camera has a built-in LED illuminator that assists in Auto Focusing, or illuminates a subject in shadows. It can be set to automatically illuminate when the shutter button is pressed halfway.
Flash: The camera's built-in flash operates in the following modes:
- Flash Auto: The flash fires automatically in low light or backlight conditions.
- Red-eye Reduction Flash: This emits pre-flashes for red-eye reduction.
- Fill-in Flash: The flash fires regardless of the available light.
- Flash Off: The flash does not fire.
Self-Timer: You can take pictures of yourself using the 12-second built-in self timer. The 2-second self-timer also aids in preventing camera shake.
Power Requirements: The SZ-15 operates on an LI-50B rechargeable Lithium-ion battery. An AC adapter (F-2AC-1B) is supplied to charge the LI-50B in the camera or operate the camera on AC power. Charging time is approximately 4 hours. The camera can also charge while it is connected to a computer via USB, but can be as much as 10 hours.
Resolution: The Stylus SZ-15 can record still images in four aspect ratios: 4:3, 16:9, 3:2, and 1:1. Two image quality (compression) settings can be selected: Fine and Normal. Movies are recorded in 16:9 and 4:3, at 30fps or 15fps, with or without sound. Available image sizes include:
|4608 x 3456||4608 x 2592||4608 x 3072||3456 x 3456|
|3200 x 2400||3200 x 1800||3216 x 2144||2400 x 2400|
|1920 x 1440||1920 x 1080||1920 x 1280||1440 x 1440|
|640 x 480||640 x 360||624 x 416||480 x 480|
- 1280 x 720: 16:9 aspect ratio
- 640 x 480: 4:3 aspect ratio
Shooting Modes: The camera lets you choose between several shooting modes:
- Program: The camera automatically sets shutter speed and aperture, but allows you to make changes to a wide range of other settings, such as exposure compensation, white balance, etc.
- iAuto: The camera automatically selects the optimal shooting mode for the scene.
- Beauty: You can record still images with Beauty Fix effects, such as Skin Softening, Skin Brightening, Blemish Fix, Puffy Eye Fix, Slender Face, and Cheek Lift. You can set and save three levels of Beauty Fix.
- Super Macro: Enables shooting as close as 1.2" to the subject. Zoom position is locked.
- Scene: Lets you select from the following pre-programmed settings: Portrait, Landscape, Night Scene, Night+Portrait, Sport, Indoor, Candle, Self-Portrait, Sunset, Fireworks, Cuisine, Documents, Beach & Snow, Pet Mode
- Magic: Lets you add special effects, such as Pop Art, Pin Hole, Fish Eye, Soft Focus, Punk, Sparkle, Watercolor, Reflection, Miniature, Fragmented, and Dramatic.
- Panorama: You can shoot and combine multiple images to create an image with a wide angle of view.
Sequential Shooting: The camera can take one frame at a time, or a sequence of pictures at a time by holding down the shutter button. During sequential shooting, the focus, exposure, and white balance are fixed when the first frame is shot. Sequential photos can be taken as follows:
|Speed Setting||Frames Per Second||Maximum # of frames||Resolution|
|Normal||0.45 fps||200||16M (4608 x 3456)|
|Hi-speed 1||1.5 fps||200||3M (1920 x 1440)|
|Hi-speed 2||15 fps||20||3M (1920 x 1440)|
Sensitivity: The higher the ISO value, the greater the camera's light sensitivity and better its ability to shoot in low light. The SZ-15 can automatically set the camera's sensitivity according to the conditions around the subject. To minimize blur caused by a moving subject or camera movement, the camera can automatically use a higher sensitivity (compared to Auto). Manual settings include ISO 100, 200, 400, 800, and 1600 equivalents.
AF Mode: There are three AF (auto focus) modes for selecting the focusing area:
- Face/iESP: the camera determines the subject, even when not in the center. If a face is detected, the camera focuses on the face when the shutter button is pressed halfway.
- Spot AF: focus detection based on the subject within the AF target mark
- AF Tracking: The camera tracks the subject's movement automatically to focus on it continuously.
Exposure Compensation: In some situations, you may get better results by adjusting the exposure slightly using exposure compensation. You can adjust from -2.0 to + 2.0 EV in 1/3 stop increments.
Still Image Audio Recording: When activated, the camera's built-in microphone can be set to record four seconds of audio after the shutter button is released and the picture is taken. In the playback menu, you can add up to 4 seconds of audio to still pictures.
Image Playback: Once still images or movies have been captured, the camera gives you several options for playing them back:
- Manual Playback: view images manually one-by-one
- Slide Show: play still images back as a slide show. You can select to include all, or images from a single event, or in a specific collection created with PC software. You can choose to include background music and three types of transitions.
- Index View: For viewing multiple images at once, you can create an index display of 20 frames.
Outputs: The SZ-15 is equipped with an HDMI Mini Connector (Type C) for connecting the camera to an HDMI-equipped HDTV. The output can be set to 1080i, 720p, or 480p. If the connected HDTV is compatible with HDMI Control, you can set the camera to be controlled by the TV's remote control. The camera also has a proprietary multi-function jack used as an audio/video output (with the optional CB-AVC3 cable) or a USB port (with the supplied USB cable).
Editing Pictures: If a picture you have taken turns out less-than-perfect, you can edit it using one of the following:
- Image Size: You can save a high-resolution image as a separate image with a smaller size to use in e-mail attachments or other applications. You can choose 640 x 480 or 320 x 240.
- Cropping: You can zoom in using the cropping frame, and create a new image.
- Adding Sound: You can add up to 4 seconds of audio to an existing image using the built-in microphone.
- Beauty Fix: The camera can make corrections to the subject's skin and/or eyes.
- Shadow Adjust: You can brighten areas that are dark due to backlighting of other reasons
- Redeye Fix: Red-eyes caused by flash shooting can be retouched.
- Rotate: You can rotate the image to the proper orientation.
Erasing/Protecting Images: Unwanted images can be erased one at a time or all at once. You can protect important images to avoid accidentally erasing them. Once an image is protected, it cannot be erased during a single-frame erase or all-frame erase function. Protected images are erased when the memory is reformatted.
PictBridge Printing Capability: Using the supplied USB cable, you can connect this camera directly to a PictBridge-compliant printer. PictBridge is a standard that allows you to connect a PictBridge compliant camera directly to a PictBridge compliant printer and make prints, regardless of brand.
Print Reservation: Applying Print Reservation (Print Order) to your pictures allows you to take the memory card to a DPOF-compatible photo lab for printing, or print them on a DPOF-compatible printer at home, without using a computer. DPOF is the Digital Print Order Format and allows you to add information to your picture files such as which pictures to print, the number of prints desired, add the date and time to each image, etc.
Supplied Software: The SZ-15 comes with Olympus Viewer 3 software on CD-ROM. The disc also includes a full Camera Instruction Manual. With the software, you can stitch together images for a panoramic shot, prepare images to be uploaded to the Internet, and retouch photos. The software is compatible with the following Operating Systems:
- Windows XP (SP2 or later)
- Windows Vista
- Windows 7
- Windows 8
- Mac OS X v10.5-v10.8
Mass Storage Device: When the camera is used as a Mass Storage device, you can connect it to computers running the following operating systems:
- Windows XP (SP1 or later)
- Windows Vista
- Windows 7
- Windows 8
- Mac OS X v10.3 or later
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.