Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Olympus Tough Series TG-850
Waterproof/shockproof 16-megapixel digital camera with 5X optical zoom (Silver)
From Olympus: Stylus TG-850
Item # 279TG850S | MFR # V104150SU000
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Olympus Tough Series TG-850 by Crutchfield's David Brown
Braving tough conditions? Get a tough camera
Sometimes the best photo opportunities occur in places you wouldn't want to take a normal camera. Lucky for you, the Olympus TG-850 is no ordinary camera. It's tough enough to take into the swimming pool, on the ski slopes in sub-freezing temperatures, or on a dirty, dusty bike trail. It sports an ultra-wide-angle lens, so you can squeeze more of your photo-worthy locale into the frame. Or use the optical and digital zoom to get closer to capture the interesting facial expressions these extreme conditions sometimes elicit.
Document your own adventures in harsh conditions by flipping up the LCD screen to frame a "selfie" (shown in Silver).
Don't just stand there!
You're not often shooting a stationary portrait when you take a tough camera into the wild. So the TG-850 has plenty of features to help you capture fast-moving action. Continuous shooting lets you fire off up to seven shots at the blazing speed of six frames per second without sacrificing a single megapixel of resolution. For longer sequences, you can set the camera on a tripod and shoot in time-interval mode. This lets you record a series of shots at preset intervals— great for creating time-lapse movies. You can also slow things down with high-speed video shooting, which allows you to play back brutal wipeouts on the slopes in smooth slow motion.
Flip-up LCD screen
Why should your friends and family be the only ones immortalized in your photos? For snapping selfies, the TG-850's LCD screen flips up a full 180 degrees. Just flip up the screen, hold the camera out, point it toward yourself, and you can frame your shot perfectly while making sure your smile is worth a million bucks. The flip-up LCD screen is also great for holding the camera low to give your shots a different perspective without having to lay down in the snow or dirt.
This is a great camera. It takes great pictures and video. Very clear and sharp. I bought it for a snorkeling trip in the Caribbean and the waterproof feature worked as it should. I would highly recommend!
What's in the Box:
- Digital camera (silver)
- LI-50B Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (3.7V 925mAh 3.5Wh)
- F-2AC-1B AC adapter (DC output: 5V 500mA)
- 27" USB cable (Type A USB on one end and proprietary connector on other end)
- Wrist strap
- Olympus Setup CD-ROM
- Quick Start Guide
- Maintaining Water Resistance
- Warranty card
- 16-megapixel effective recording backlit CMOS sensor
- 3" 180° flip-up LCD screen (460,000 dots)
- 5X optical zoom (4X digital zoom)
- 35mm equivalent lens focal length: 21-105mm
- records photos and video onto optional SD, SDHC, or SDXC memory cards
- waterproof to depths of 33 feet
- shockproof up to 7 feet (with LCD screen closed)
- freezeproof to 14° F
- crushproof for up to 220 lbs. of pressure (with LCD screen closed)
- time-interval shooting for capturing an action sequence or stitching together a time-lapse movie (software required)
- optical image stabilization minimizes blur from shaky hands
- high-definition movie mode (up to 1080/60p resolution)
- record high-speed video up to 240 frames per second smooth slow-motion playback
- 10X super-resolution digitally-enhanced zoom mode for high-quality close-ups with minimal image degradation
- panorama mode blends multiple shots into a seamless 360 degree panoramic photo
- burst shooting mode fires off 7 frames per second for up to 6 shots at full resolution
- 18 scene modes, including 4 underwater shooting modes
- 11 Magic Art effects filters for creative still shots
Connections and Dimensions:
- micro HDMI output for connecting the camera to a compatible HDTV (cable not included)
- USB 2.0 interface
- 4-7/16"W x 2-9/16"H x 1-1/8"D
- weight: 7.7 oz.
- lithium-ion rechargeable battery (LI-50B) and AC charging adapter
- USB cable
- wrist strap
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Olympus Tough Series TG-850 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size||3"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||21-105mm|
|Internal Memory||37 MB|
|Sensor Size||1/2.3" CMOS|
|Highest Resolution||4608 x 3456|
|Video Resolution||1920 x 1080/60p|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||7.7|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Rugged Design: The Olympus Stylus TG-850 is a rugged camera, designed for adventurous photographers. The camera's durable construction is built to the following standards:
- Shockproof: designed to withstand a 7-foot fall, drop or other mishap (MIL-STD-810F standard)
- Waterproof: innovative waterproof seals and gaskets allow you to take underwater movies and pictures in the pool, lake, or ocean, up to 33-foot (10 meters) depths for one hour (IEC Standard Publication 529 IPX8)
- Dustproof: dustproof to an IEC standard 529 IP6X (Olympus test conditions)
- Crushproof: can withstand up to 220 pounds of pressure
- Freezeproof: camera can withstand temperatures: Operating temperature range: 14° F to 104°. Storage temperature range: -4° F to 140° F (MIL-STD-810F standard)
Double Lock Mechanisms: The battery compartment and connector cover doors both have double lock mechanisms to prevent accidental exposure to moisture and dust. Rubberized seals on the doors help make the compartments watertight to protect the battery, memory card, and connector contacts.
Optics: The TG-850 is equipped with a bright F3.5-5.7 lens to let you capture shots in low light or situations when a flash cannot be used. The 5x optical zoom lens has a focal length of 3.74-18.7mm (equivalent to 21-105mm in 35mm photography). A special water-repellent coating on the lens prevents water from remaining on the lens surface.
Super-Resolution Zoom: The Super-Resolution Zoom increases the effective zoom power without compromising image quality. The zoom ratio depends upon the selected image size. The Super-Res zoom extends the total zoom to 10x (16M), 7.1x (8M), 12x (3M), and 20x (VGA).
3" 180° Flip Monitor: The camera is equipped with a 3.0" LCD monitor with approximately 460,000 dots. The LCD panel flips up to 180° to allow you to frame photos from unusual angles. The monitor features several protective coatings to reduce glare and to prevent scratches. Like the lens, a special water-repellent coating prevents water from remaining on the monitor. The TG-850 offers a 5-level monitor brightness adjustment in the menu.
Image Sensor/Processor: The camera is equipped with a high-sensitivity, high-speed 1/2.3" 16MP backlit CMOS sensor and the exceptionally fast TruePic VII image processor. The result is fast auto focusing, an enhanced iAuto shooting mode that recognizes multiple scenes and subjects, and Super Resolution Zoom that lets you zoom in farther than the optical zoom without degrading the image.
Recording Media: The Olympus Stylus TG-850 digital camera records still images or movies onto optional SD, SDHC, or SDXC Memory Cards. For test images, or when the memory card becomes full, you can shoot a small number of images onto the camera's internal memory (approximately 37 MB). Still images are recorded in JPEG format. Movies are recorded in MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 with or without sound.
FlashAir: The TG-850 is compatible with commercially available FlashAir cards. These cards have a Wireless LAN function to enable you to connect the camera to a Wi-Fi-enabled smartphone or PC to view or import images from the card.
Optical Image Stabilization: The camera utilizes lens-shift Image Stabilization with high ISO sensitivity and fast shutter speeds, so you can capture sharp, blur-free images, even if your subject is moving.
Focusing Range: The focus range for the normal shooting mode is 3.6" to infinity. In the Super Macro mode, you can record images from 0.36" to 3.6" away.
White Balance: The Stylus TG-850 offers the following White Balance presets: WB Auto, Sunny, Cloudy, Incandescent, Fluorescent, and Underwater. You can also set and store two custom white balance settings based on an actual scene.
LED Illuminator: The camera has a built-in LED illuminator that can assist in Auto Focusing, or illuminate the scene in closeup situations. It can be turned on or off manually in the menu, or set to automatically illuminate when the shutter button is pressed halfway.
Flash: The camera's built-in flash operates in the following modes:
- Auto Flash: The flash fires automatically in low light or backlight conditions.
- Red-eye Reduction Flash: This emits pre-flashes for red-eye reduction.
- Fill-in Flash: The flash fires regardless of the available light.
- LED On: Turns on the LED illuminator for close up images.
- Flash Off: The flash does not fire.
Self-Timer: You can take pictures of yourself using the 12-second built-in self timer. The 2-second self-timer also aids in preventing camera shake.
Power Requirements: The Stylus TG-850 operates on an LI-50B rechargeable Lithium-ion battery (3.7V, 925mAh, 3.5Wh). An AC adapter (F-2AC-1B) is supplied to charge the LI-50B in the camera or operate the camera on AC power. The camera can take up to approximately 300 photos with fully charged battery. Charging time is approximately 3 hours. The camera can also charge while it is connected to a computer via USB.
Resolution: The Stylus TG-850 can record still images in four aspect ratios: 4:3, 16:9, 3:2, and 1:1. Two image quality (compression) settings can be selected: Fine and Normal. Movies are recorded in 16:9 and 4:3, with or without sound. Available image sizes include:
|4608 x 3456||4608 x 2592||4608 x 3072||3456 x 3456|
|3200 x 2400||3200 x 1800||3216 x 2144||2400 x 2400|
|1920 x 1440||1920 x 1080||1920 x 1280||1440 x 1440|
|640 x 480||640 x 360||624 x 416||480 x 480|
- 1920 x 1080/60p
- 1920 x 1080/30p
- 1280 x 720/30p
- 640 x 480/30p
- HS 640 x 480: High speed 120 fps
- HS 432 x 324: High speed 240 fps
Shooting Modes: The rear-mounted Mode Dial lets you choose between several shooting modes:
- Program: The camera automatically sets shutter speed and aperture, but allows you to make changes to a wide range of other settings, such as exposure compensation, white balance, etc.
- ePortrait: This mode is suitable for shooting portraits. The camera smoothes out skin tones and texture.
- Hand-Held Starlight: Records night scene pictures with less camera shake can be taken without a tripod.
- Panorama: You can shoot and combine multiple images to create an image with a wide angle of view.
- Art Filter: This mode lets you shoot with the following color and effects: Pop Art, Soft Focus, Pale & Light Color, Grainy Film, Pin Hole, Diorama, and Dramatic Tone.
- Scene: Lets you select from the following pre-programmed settings: Portrait, Landscape, Interval Shooting, Night Scene, Night+Portrait, Sport, Indoor, Self Portrait, Sunset, Fireworks, Cuisine, Documents, Beach & Snow, Underwater Snapshot, Underwater Wide 1 and 2, Underwater Macro, and Backlight HDR.
- Super Macro: Images can be taken of close-up subjects, within a range of 0.36" and 3.6".
- iAuto: The iAuto mode is a fully automatic mode in which the camera optimizes settings for the scene. This is a recommended mode for beginners.
Interval Shooting: This Scene mode lets you record multiple images at a set interval. You can shoot at the following Interval Shooting settings:
- Number of Frames: 1 to 99
- Interval Time: 10-60 seconds (per 10 sec), 1-60 minutes (per 1 minute)
- Start Waiting Time: 1-60 minutes (per 1 minute)
Sequential Shooting: The camera can take one frame at a time, or a sequence of pictures at a time by holding down the shutter button. During sequential shooting, the focus, exposure, and white balance are fixed when the first frame is shot. You can choose from the following:
|Selection||Frames Per Second||Maximum # of Frames||Frame Resolution|
|Sequential 1||2.5 fps||200 images||16M|
|Sequential 2||7 fps||6 images||16M|
|High Speed 1||20 fps||60 images||3M|
|High Speed 2||60 fps||60 images||3M|
ISO Sensitivity: The higher the ISO value, the greater the camera's light sensitivity and better its ability to shoot in low light. The Stylus TG-850 can automatically set the camera's sensitivity according to the conditions around the subject. To minimize blur caused by a moving subject or camera movement, the camera can automatically use a higher sensitivity (compared to Auto). Manual settings include ISO 125, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, and 6400 equivalents.
AF Mode: There are three AF (auto focus) modes for selecting the focusing area:
- Face/iESP: the camera determines the subject, even when not in the center. If a face is detected, the camera focuses on the face when the shutter button is pressed halfway.
- Spot AF: focus detection based on the subject within the AF target mark
- AF Tracking: The camera tracks the subject's movement automatically to focus on it continuously.
Exposure Compensation: In some situations, you may get better results by adjusting the exposure slightly using exposure compensation. You can adjust from -2.0 to + 2.0 EV in 1/3 stop increments.
Still Image Audio Recording: When activated, the camera's built-in microphone can be set to record four seconds of audio after the shutter button is released and the picture is taken. In the playback menu, you can add up to 4 seconds of audio to still pictures.
Image Playback: Once still images or movies have been captured, the camera gives you several options for playing them back:
- Manual Playback: view images manually one-by-one
- Slide Show: play still images back as a slide show. You can select to include all, or images from a single event, or in a specific collection created with PC software. You can choose from five types of background music.
- Index View: For viewing multiple images at once, you can create an index display of 20 frames.
Outputs: The Stylus TG-850 is equipped with an HDMI Micro Connector (Type D) for connecting the camera to an HDMI-equipped HDTV. The output can be set to 1080p, 1080i, 720p, or 480p. If the connected HDTV is compatible with HDMI Control, you can set the camera to be controlled by the TV's remote control. The camera also has a proprietary multi-function jack used as an audio/video output (with the optional CB-AVC3 composite video/mono audio cable) or a USB port (with the supplied USB cable).
Editing Pictures: If a picture you have taken turns out less-than-perfect, you can edit it using one of the following:
- Image Size: You can save a high-resolution image as a separate image with a smaller size to use in e-mail attachments or other applications. You can choose 3M or VGA.
- Cropping: You can zoom in using the cropping frame, and create a new image.
- Adding Sound: You can add up to 4 seconds of audio to an existing image using the built-in microphone.
- ePortrait: The camera can make corrections to the subject's skin tones.
- Shadow Adjust: You can brighten areas that are dark due to backlighting of other reasons
- Redeye Fix: Red-eyes caused by flash shooting can be retouched.
- Rotate: You can rotate the image to the proper orientation.
- Image Capture (movies): You can capture still images from movies.
- Trimming (movies): You can edit out unwanted footage from a movie. The trimmed movie can be saved as a new movie file or overwrite the original movie file.
Erasing/Protecting Images: Unwanted images can be erased one at a time or all at once. You can protect important images to avoid accidentally erasing them. Once an image is protected, it cannot be erased during a single-frame erase or all-frame erase function. Protected images are erased when the memory is reformatted.
PictBridge Printing Capability: Using the supplied USB cable, you can connect this camera directly to a PictBridge-compliant printer. PictBridge is a standard that allows you to connect a PictBridge compliant camera directly to a PictBridge compliant printer and make prints, regardless of brand.
Print Reservation: Applying Print Reservation (Print Order) to your pictures allows you to take the memory card to a DPOF-compatible photo lab for printing, or print them on a DPOF-compatible printer at home, without using a computer. DPOF is the Digital Print Order Format and allows you to add information to your picture files such as which pictures to print, the number of prints desired, add the date and time to each image, etc.
Supplied Software: The Stylus TG-850 comes with Olympus Viewer 3 software on CD-ROM. The disc also includes a full Camera Instruction Manual. With the software, you can stitch together images for a panoramic shot, prepare images to be uploaded to the Internet, and retouch photos. The software is compatible with the following Operating Systems:
- Windows XP (SP3)
- Windows Vista (SP2)
- Windows 7 (SP1)
- Windows 8
- Windows 8.1
- Mac OS X v10.5-v10.9
Mass Storage Device: When the camera is used as a Mass Storage device, you can connect it to computers running the following operating systems:
- Windows XP (SP3)
- Windows Vista (SP2)
- Windows 7 (SP1)
- Windows 8
- Windows 8.1
- Mac OS X v10.5-v10.9
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.