Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Olympus TG-830 with 8 x 21 RC II Waterproof Binoculars
Tough compact camera bundled with 8X waterproof binoculars (Blue binoculars)
Item # 279TGRCIIL | MFR # V104130BU030
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Olympus TG-830 with 8 x 21 RC II Waterproof Binoculars by Crutchfield's Woody Sherman
Because photography can get a little wet
There are compact cameras that are easy to take most anywhere. And then there are tough-style cameras that you really can take everywhere. No need to coddle the Olympus TG-830 iHS. Bring it into whatever extreme conditions you brave and document your adventures. Whether it's body-surfing in the ocean, or trudging through knee-high snow in sub-freezing temperatures, the TG-830 will not only survive but thrive, taking gorgeous photos and video. Even underwater images will look sharp and bright, thanks to the 16-megapixel backlit CMOS sensor and high-sensitivity 6400 ISO.
GPS and high-speed shooting
Keep track of your travels with the TG-830's built-in GPS, which records location and landmark information for all your photos. A series of shots from a hike can even let you map out your precise route using Google Maps or Picasa, perfect for remembering which trail was particularly picturesque. The speedy TruePic™ VI processor also lets your fire off a rapid-fire series of shots at up to 11.5 frames per second, perfect for action sequences. Or shoot high-speed HD video for slow-motion playback of your kids jumping off a diving board or sledding down a snowy hill.
The fun doesn't stop when you head inside
When you're done shooting, check out your footage on the TG-830's bright 3-inch LCD screen. Like the lens, it features a water-repellent coating, so water won't linger on either surface. You can also connect this durable camera to your HDTV with a micro HDMI cable (not included) to show photos and movies on the big screen. With plenty of editing and filter effects, 32 scene modes, and automatic multi-shot stitching, the TG-830 iHS is every bit as versatile as it is tough.
The companion binoculars are tough, too
This durable go-anywhere camera is bundled with a pair of compact, waterproof 8X binoculars. Small enough to slip in a purse or pocket, they're also ideal for tracking that pod of dolphins just off the sandbar. Team these up with your TG-830 camera for the perfect vacation-documenting 1-2 punch.
- 16-megapixel effective recording backlit CMOS sensor
- 3" LCD screen (460,000 dots)
- 5X optical zoom (4X digital zoom)
- 35mm equivalent lens focal length: 28-140mm
- records photos and video onto optional SD, SDHC, or SDXC memory cards
Camera Special Features:
- waterproof to depths of 33 feet
- shockproof up to 7 feet
- freezeproof to 14° F
- crushproof for up to 220 lbs. of pressure
- built-in GPS records location and landmark information with photos
- sensor shift image stabilization minimizes blur from shaky hands
- high-definition movie mode (up to 1080p resolution)
- record high-speed video (120 frames per second in 720p) for high-quality slow-motion playback
- 10X super-resolution digitally-enhanced zoom mode for high-quality close-ups with minimal image degradation
- burst shooting mode fires off 11.5 frames per second for up to 17 shots at full resolution
- TruePic VI Image Processor produces photos with clear detail, natural colors, and low noise
- 32 scene modes, including beauty mode for improved portraits and 4 underwater shooting modes
- simultaneous video and still recording
- Backlight HDR mode creates even lighting throughout a photo by snapping and combining multiple shots with different exposure levels
- 11 Magic Art effects filters for stylized stills and video
Connections and Dimensions:
- micro HDMI output for connecting the camera to a compatible HDTV (cable not included)
- high-speed USB interface
- 4-3/8"W x 2-11/16"H x 1-3/16"D
- weight (with battery): 7.5 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
Binocular Special Features:
- 8X magnification
- rubber-coated for secure grip
- multi-coated lenses and prisms allow for brighter images and true colors
- center focus knob
- 4-1/4"W x 3-1/2"H x 1-1/2"D
- 7.58 ounces
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- lithium-ion rechargeable battery and AC charging adapter
- USB cable
- wrist strap
- software CD-ROM
What's in the Box:
- The Outdoor Adventure Pack includes the separately packaged Olympus TG-830 Digital Camera (black) and the Olympus 8x21RC II Waterproof Binoculars
- The Camera box contains:
- Digital camera (black)
- LI-50B Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (3.7V 925mAh 3.5Wh)
- F-2AC-1B AC adapter (DC output: 5V 500mA)
- 27" USB cable (Type A USB on one end and proprietary connector on other end)
- Wrist strap
- Olympus Setup CD-ROM
- Quick Start Guide
- Maintaining Water Resistance
- Warranty card
- The 8x21RC II WP Waterproof Binoculars box contains:
- 8x21RC II WP Binoculars (Slate Blue)
- 2 Eyepiece covers (installed)
- Cloth mesh drawstring pouch
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size||3"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||28-140mm|
|Internal Memory||39 MB|
|Sensor Size||1/2.3" CMOS|
|Image Stabilization||Sensor Shift|
|Highest Resolution||4608 x 3456|
|Video Resolution||1920 x 1080|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||7.5|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Olympus Outdoor Adventure Pack includes the Stylus TG-830 digital camera and the pocket-sized 8 x 21 RC II WP Waterproof Binoculars.
Rugged Design: The Olympus Stylus TG-830 is a rugged camera, designed for adventurous photographers. The camera's durable construction is built to the following standards:
- Shockproof: designed to withstand a 6.8-foot fall, drop or other mishap (MIL-STD-810F standard)
- Waterproof: innovative waterproof seals and gaskets allow you to take underwater movies and pictures in the pool, lake, or ocean, up to 32.8-foot (10 meters) depths for one hour (IEC Standard Publication 529 IPX8)
- Dustproof: dustproof to an IEC standard 529 IP6X
- Crushproof: can withstand up to 220 pounds of pressure
- Freezeproof: camera can withstand temperature extremes down to 14° F (MIL-STD-810F standard)
Double Lock Mechanisms: The battery compartment and connector cover doors both have double lock mechanisms to prevent accidental exposure to moisture and dust. Rubberized seals on the doors help make the compartments watertight to protect the battery, memory card, and connector contacts.
Optics: The TG-830 is equipped with a bright F3.9-5.9 lens to let you capture shots in low light or situations when a flash cannot be used. The 5x optical zoom lens has a focal length of 5.0-25.0mm (equivalent to 28-140mm in 35mm photography). A special water-repellent coating on the lens prevents water from remaining on the lens surface.
Super-Resolution Zoom: The Super-Resolution Zoom increases the effective zoom power without compromising image quality. The zoom ratio depends upon the selected image size. In 4:3 aspect ratio, the Super-Res zoom extends the total zoom to 10x (16M), 7x (8M), 12x (3M), and 20x (VGA).
3.0" Monitor: The camera is equipped with a 3.0" High-resolution Hypercrystal III LCD monitor with approximately 460,000 dots. The monitor features several protective coatings to reduce glare and to prevent scratches. Like the lens, a special water-repellent coating prevents water from remaining on the monitor. The TG-830 offers a 5-level monitor brightness adjustment in the menu.
iHS: iHS technology is a combination of the high-sensitivity, high-speed 1/2.3" 16MP backlit CMOS sensor and the exceptionally fast TruePic VI image processor. The result is fast auto focusing, an enhanced iAuto shooting mode that recognizes multiple scenes and subjects, and Super Resolution Zoom that lets you zoom in farther than the optical zoom without degrading the image.
GPS: The TG-830 has a built-in GPS (Global Positioning System) receiver, which can record location information onto your photos and movies. Using applications such as Olympus Viewer 3, Google Earth, or Picasa, you can view the location of your photos on a map. The logging function lets you track the route taken on your adventure.
Recording Media: The Olympus Stylus TG-830 digital camera records still images or movies onto optional SD, SDHC, or SDXC Memory Cards. For test images, or when the memory card becomes full, you can shoot a small number of images onto the camera's internal memory (approximately 39MB). Still images are recorded in JPEG format. Movies are recorded in MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 with sound.
FlashAir: The TG-830 is compatible with commercially available FlashAir cards. These cards have a Wireless LAN function to enable you to connect the camera to a Wi-Fi-enabled smartphone or PC to view or import images from the card.
Dual Image Stabilization: The camera combines Sensor-shift Image Stabilization with high ISO sensitivity and fast shutter speeds, so you can capture sharp, blur-free images, even if your subject is moving.
Focusing Range: The focus range for the normal shooting mode is 8.4" to infinity (W) and 19.2" to infinity (T). In the Super Macro mode, you can record images from 1.2" to 2' away.
White Balance: The Stylus TG-830 offers the following White Balance presets: WB Auto, Sunny, Cloudy, Incandescent, Fluorescent, and Underwater. You can also set and store two custom white balance settings based on an actual scene.
LED Illuminator: The camera has a built-in LED illuminator that can assist in Auto Focusing, or illuminate the scene in closeup situations. It can be turned on or off manually in the menu, or set to automatically illuminate when the shutter button is pressed halfway.
Flash: The camera's built-in flash operates in the following modes:
- Flash Auto: The flash fires automatically in low light or backlight conditions.
- Red-eye Reduction Flash: This emits pre-flashes for red-eye reduction.
- Fill-in Flash: The flash fires regardless of the available light.
- LED On: Turns on the LED illuminator for close up images.
- Flash Off: The flash does not fire.
Self-Timer: You can take pictures of yourself using the 12-second built-in self timer. The 2-second self-timer also aids in preventing camera shake.
Power Requirements: The Stylus TG-830 operates on an LI-50B rechargeable Lithium-ion battery (3.7V, 925mAh, 3.5Wh). An AC adapter (F-2AC-1B) is supplied to charge the LI-50B in the camera or operate the camera on AC power. The camera can take up to approximately 300 photos with fully charged battery. Charging time is approximately 3 hours. The camera can also charge while it is connected to a computer via USB.
Resolution: The Stylus TG-830 can record still images in four aspect ratios: 4:3, 16:9, 3:2, and 1:1. Two image quality (compression) settings can be selected: Fine and Normal. Movies are recorded in 16:9 and 4:3, with or without sound. Available image sizes include:
|4608 x 3456||4608 x 2592||4608 x 3072||3456 x 3456|
|3200 x 2400||3200 x 1800||3216 x 2144||2400 x 2400|
|1920 x 1440||1920 x 1080||1920 x 1280||1440 x 1440|
|640 x 480||640 x 360||624 x 416||480 x 480|
- 1920 x 1080: 16:9 aspect ratio
- 1280 x 720: 16:9 aspect ratio
- 640 x 480: 4:3 aspect ratio
- HS 1280 x 720: High speed 120 fps
- HS 432 x 324: High speed 240 fps
- 1920 x 1080/60i: Shot at 60 fps
Shooting Modes: The rear-mounted Mode Dial lets you choose between several shooting modes:
- Program: The camera automatically sets shutter speed and aperture, but allows you to make changes to a wide range of other settings, such as exposure compensation, white balance, etc.
- iAuto: The camera automatically selects the optimal shooting mode for the scene.
- Photo with Movie Clip: When shooting a still image, a movie clip that includes before and after the shutter release is recorded simultaneously.
- Advanced Movie: Choose from three special movie modes: Photo in Movie, 60i movie, and High Speed movie.
- Panorama: You can shoot and combine multiple images to create an image with a wide angle of view.
- Hand-Held Starlight: Records night scene pictures with less camera shake can be taken without a tripod.
- Scene: Lets you select from the following pre-programmed settings: Portrait, Beauty, Landscape, Night Scene, Night+Portrait, Sport, Indoor, Self Portrait, Sunset, Fireworks, Cuisine, Documents, Beach & Snow, Underwater Snapshot, Underwater Wide 1 and 2, Underwater Macro, Pet Mode-Cat, Pet Mode-Dog, Super Macro, and Backlight HDR.
- Magic: Lets you add special effects, such as Pop Art, Pin Hole, Fish Eye, Soft Focus, Punk, Sparkle, Watercolor, Reflection, Miniature, Fragmented, and Dramatic.
Sequential Shooting: The camera can take one frame at a time, or a sequence of pictures at a time by holding down the shutter button. During sequential shooting, the focus, exposure, and white balance are fixed when the first frame is shot. You can choose from the following:
|Selection||Frames Per Second||Maximum # of Frames||Frame Resolution|
|Sequential 1||2.5 fps||200 images||16M|
|Sequential 2||10 fps||17 images||16M|
|High Speed 1||15 fps||60 images||3M|
|High Speed 2||60 fps||60 images||3M|
|Auto Split Shooting||Not given||16 images||3M|
Sensitivity: The higher the ISO value, the greater the camera's light sensitivity and better its ability to shoot in low light. The Stylus TG-830 can automatically set the camera's sensitivity according to the conditions around the subject. To minimize blur caused by a moving subject or camera movement, the camera can automatically use a higher sensitivity (compared to Auto). Manual settings include ISO 125, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, and 6400 equivalents.
AF Mode: There are three AF (auto focus) modes for selecting the focusing area:
- Face/iESP: the camera determines the subject, even when not in the center. If a face is detected, the camera focuses on the face when the shutter button is pressed halfway.
- Spot AF: focus detection based on the subject within the AF target mark
- AF Tracking: The camera tracks the subject's movement automatically to focus on it continuously.
Exposure Compensation: In some situations, you may get better results by adjusting the exposure slightly using exposure compensation. You can adjust from -2.0 to + 2.0 EV in 1/3 stop increments.
Still Image Audio Recording: When activated, the camera's built-in microphone can be set to record four seconds of audio after the shutter button is released and the picture is taken. In the playback menu, you can add up to 4 seconds of audio to still pictures.
Image Playback: Once still images or movies have been captured, the camera gives you several options for playing them back:
- Manual Playback: view images manually one-by-one
- Slide Show: play still images back as a slide show. You can select to include all, or images from a single event, or in a specific collection created with PC software. You can choose from six types of background music and three types of transitions.
- Index View: For viewing multiple images at once, you can create an index display of 20 frames.
Outputs: The Stylus TG-830 is equipped with an HDMI Micro Connector (Type D) for connecting the camera to an HDMI-equipped HDTV. The output can be set to 1080i, 720p, or 480p. If the connected HDTV is compatible with HDMI Control, you can set the camera to be controlled by the TV's remote control. The camera also has a proprietary multi-function jack used as an audio/video output (with the optional CB-AVC3 composite video/mono audio cable) or a USB port (with the supplied USB cable).
Editing Pictures: If a picture you have taken turns out less-than-perfect, you can edit it using one of the following:
- Image Size: You can save a high-resolution image as a separate image with a smaller size to use in e-mail attachments or other applications. You can choose 3M or VGA.
- Cropping: You can zoom in using the cropping frame, and create a new image.
- Adding Sound: You can add up to 4 seconds of audio to an existing image using the built-in microphone.
- Beauty Fix: The camera can make corrections to the subject's skin and/or eyes.
- Shadow Adjust: You can brighten areas that are dark due to backlighting of other reasons
- Redeye Fix: Red-eyes caused by flash shooting can be retouched.
- Landmark: You can change the landmark information recorded on images when they were shot using the GPS Landmark function.
- Rotate: You can rotate the image to the proper orientation.
Erasing/Protecting Images: Unwanted images can be erased one at a time or all at once. You can protect important images to avoid accidentally erasing them. Once an image is protected, it cannot be erased during a single-frame erase or all-frame erase function. Protected images are erased when the memory is reformatted.
PictBridge Printing Capability: Using the supplied USB cable, you can connect this camera directly to a PictBridge-compliant printer. PictBridge is a standard that allows you to connect a PictBridge compliant camera directly to a PictBridge compliant printer and make prints, regardless of brand.
Print Reservation: Applying Print Reservation (Print Order) to your pictures allows you to take the memory card to a DPOF-compatible photo lab for printing, or print them on a DPOF-compatible printer at home, without using a computer. DPOF is the Digital Print Order Format and allows you to add information to your picture files such as which pictures to print, the number of prints desired, add the date and time to each image, etc.
Supplied Software: The Stylus TG-830 comes with Olympus Viewer 3 software on CD-ROM. The disc also includes a full Camera Instruction Manual. With the software, you can stitch together images for a panoramic shot, prepare images to be uploaded to the Internet, view GPS track logs, and retouch photos. The software is compatible with the following Operating Systems:
- Windows XP (SP2 or later)
- Windows Vista
- Windows 7
- Windows 8
- Mac OS X v10.5-v10.8
Mass Storage Device: When the camera is used as a Mass Storage device, you can connect it to computers running the following operating systems:
- Windows XP (SP1 or later)
- Windows Vista
- Windows 7
- Windows 8
- Mac OS X v10.3 or later
Overview: The Olympus Roamer 8 x 21 RC II WP Waterproof binoculars are designed for general usage in a pocket-sized design. The ultra-compact binoculars are foldable with a rubber coating for a sure grip. The multi-coated lenses give you maximum brightness and contrast, while providing protection from harmful UV rays. You can bring your subject into quick focus with the convenient center focus knob. The right eyepiece has a dioptric correction knob so you can adjust the binoculars to your individual eyesight.
- Prism Type: Roof prism
- Magnification: 8x
- Objective Lens: 21mm
- Lens Composition: Eyepiece: 3 elements in 2 groups, Objective: 2 elements in 1 group
- Exit Pupil Diameter: 2.6mm (0.1")
- Actual Field of View: 6.3°
- Field at 1000m (1094 yards): 360' (110 meters)
- Brightness: 6.8
- Eye Relief: 11.5mm (0.45")
- Eye Interval Adjustment Range: 37-72mm (1.5"-2.8")
- Near Focus Distance (9.8'): 3 feet to ∞ infinity
- Waterproof: 1 meter for 5 minutes (IPx7)
- Dimensions: Width=4.2", Length=3.5mm (min), Thickness=1.5"
- Weight: 7.5 ounces
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.