Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
4GB digital voice recorder and music player
Item # 279WS510 | MFR # 142050
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Olympus WS-510M by Crutchfield's Ralph Graves
The versatile Olympus WS-510M makes on-the-go recording simple, and it can keep you entertained with your favorite songs. Its four-gigabyte embedded memory can hold about a month and a half of basic-quality audio, or you can use some of that memory to store up to 1,000 songs.
The built-in stereo microphones feature a sensitivity switch for adapting to different recording conditions. Choose the voice-activated recording mode for convenient hands-free operation. For playback, you can either use the recorder's built-in speaker, or plug in the supplied earbud headphones for more discreet listening.
Transferring audio files to and from the WS-510M is simple. Just slide the retractable USB plug out of the recorder, and insert it directly into your PC. Then just drag and drop files no special software necessary.
What's in the Box:
- Gray digital voice recorder with music player (4GB)
- "AAA" Ni-MH battery
- Earbud style headphones with attached 46" cord terminated by a male 3.5mm connector
- 12" USB cable with a male USB type-A connector on one end and a female USB type-A connector on other end
- Foam padded pouch
- Instructions (Eng/Fre/Spa)
- Online Product Registration card
- battery-powered digital voice recorder and MP3 player
- 4GB embedded memory holds up to
- 1,088 hours, 05 minutes of bas-quality mono voice recordings
- 278 hours, 10 minutes of medium-quality stereo voice recordings
- 69 hours, 30 minutes of highest-quality stereo voice recordings
- 66 hours of average sound quality MP3 or WMA music
- records in WMA (Windows Media Audio) format
- built-in stereo microphones
- stores up to five folders with up to 200 messages per folder
- backlit LCD display
- built-in speaker
- selectable voice activated recording
- six recording quality modes (three stereo, three mono)
- high-speed USB interface (no cable needed)
- headphone minijack
- external microphone minijack input
- up to 21 hours operation with included "AAA" battery
- weight: 1.6 oz.
- 1-1/2"W X 3-3/4"H X 7/16"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- OS X 10.2.8 -10.5
- USB port (high-speed USB recommended)
- Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista
- USB port (high-speed USB recommended)
Overview: The Olympus WS-510M Digital Voice Recorder and Music Player allows you to record lectures and music in high-quality stereo sound. This device can be used as a voice recorder or as a music player. You can easily store and organize your audio files on the Olympus WS-510M, and transfer them to your PC with its USB Direct design. The WS-510M comes supplied with a pair of earbud-style headphones and operates off of a single "AAA" battery (included).
4GB Internal Flash Memory: The Olympus WS-510M Digital Voice Recorder With Music Player features a built-in 4GB NAND Flash memory which allows up to 545 hours of voice recordings and 1,000 songs (128kbps/4 minutes per song).
Audio Recording Format: The Olympus Digital Voice Recorder With Music Player records voice recordings in the WMA (Windows Media Audio) recording format while recording music in WMA (5-320 kbps), MP3 (8-320 kbps), or WAV (16-bit) file formats.
Recording Modes: The WS-510M Digital Voice Recorder with Music Player records in stereo and offers the following recording modes and recording times for voice recording and music recording.
- Voice Recorder:
- Stereo XQ Mode (50-19,000 Hz): approximately 69 hours, 30 minutes
- Stereo HQ Mode (50-15,000 Hz): approximately 139 hours, 35 minutes
- Stereo SP Mode (50-9,000 Hz): approximately 278 hours, 10 minutes
- HQ Mode (50-13,000 Hz): approximately 278 hours, 10 minutes
- SP Mode (100-7,000 Hz): approximately 547 hours, 25 minutes
- LP Mode (100-3,000 Hz): approximately 1,088 hours, 05 minutes
- Music Player:
- WMA Recording: 1,000 songs (128kbps/4 minutes per song)
- MP3 Recording: 1,000 songs (128kbps/4 minutes per song)
USB Direct: The Olympus WS-510M features an integrated, retractable USB type-A plug for direct connection to your PC without the need for an additional USB cable. You can transfer files recorded with this recorder to a computer, play them back, and mange them by using Windows Media Player or iTunes. In addition, this recorder can also be used as external memory for a computer by storing data from a computer and reading it back out.
Note: The Olympus WS-510M requires the following Operating Systems: Microsoft Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7 and Mac OS X 10.2.8-10.5.
Built-In Stereo Microphones: The WS-510M Digital Voice Recorder features built-in stereo electret condenser microphone for clear stereo sound of your recorded personal notes, school lectures, or business-related meetings. Microphone sensitivity (High or Low) is adjustable to meet your recording needs. The unit also features a 3.5mm microphone jack for connecting an external microphone.
Variable Control Voice Activator (VCVA): This feature allows the Digital Voice Recorder to only record when sound is sensed by the unit. When the microphone sense that sounds have reached a preset threshold volume level, the built-ion Variable Control Actuator (VCVA) starts recording automatically and stops when the volume drops below the threshold level. The VCVA feature extends recording time and conserves memory by stopping recording during silent periods, which helps the playback to be more efficient.
Low Cut Filter: The unit's Low Cut Filter minimize low frequency sounds in the background such as an air condition or projector when recording to record voice more clearly.
File Organization: The WS-510M features five file folders (A/B/C/D/E), each holding up to 200 files, to provide exceptional organization. Up to 16 index marks can be set in each file. When index marks are placed, you can quickly find a location you want to listen to in fast forward and fast rewind and when cuing a file.
File Lock: Files can be locked to avoid important files from being accidentally erased.
LCD Display: The WS-510M features a Full-Dot, Backlit, monochrome, LCD display which indicates recording and playback information. The display will remain lit for approximately 5, 10, 30, or 60 seconds when a button on the recorder is pressed. The LCD display's contrast can be adjusted in 12 levels. The LCD supports and display three languages (English, French, or Spanish).
Date and Time: The recorder features a built-in clock that displays date and time on the unit's LCD screen. If you have set the time and date, information as to when a sound file was recorded is stored automatically with that file.
Built-In Speaker and Headphones: The Olympus WS-510M features a built-in monaural 16mm round dynamic speaker and comes supplied with a pair of earbud-style stereo headphones for listening to your recorded audio. When the earphones are connected, the built-in speaker will not emit sound. The unit features a 3.5mm minijack input for connecting the headphones.
Voice Filter: The Voice Filter function enhances the human voice by cutting low and high frequency noises during normal, slow or fast playback.
Noise Cancel Function: If recorded audio is difficult to understand because of noisy surroundings, you can adjust the Noise Cancel setting level. Noise will be reduce in the file when it is played back for better sound quality.
Variable Speed Playback: The Olympus WS-510M offers slow and fast playback speed variations. The playback speed of the file can be changed between 0.5 and 2.0x. Change the speed according to need such as listening to meeting content at a fast speed or reviewing spots that you could not catch in a language lesson at a slow speed. The tone will be automatically adjusted digitally without changing the voice so it sounds natural.
Skip Space: This function enables you to skip forward or reverse a file being played for a set period of time (1 sec, 5 sec, 10 sec 30 sec, 1 min, 5 min, and 10 min). This function is convenient for quickly skipping to another playback position or repeatedly playing back short phrases.
File Search: The recorder features Fast Forward and Rewind to locate audio files. The recorder pauses when it reaches to the end of the file during fast forwarding or fast rewinding. If there is an index mark in the middle of the file, the recorder will also stop at that location.
Music Play Mode: The Olympus WS-510M offers the following music playback modes - File, File Repeat, Folder, Folder Repeat, All, All Repeat and Random.
EQ: The Olympus WS-510M allows you to customize the sound of your music with its built-in equalizer. It has four preset EQ settings (Flat, Rock, Pop, Jazz) and one user setting which allows you to adjust the following frequencies (60Hz, 250Hz, 1kHz, 4kHz, 12kHz) independently from -10 to +10 dB.
WOW: Built-in WOW XTTM technology provides rich bass (TruBass) and three-dimensional (SRS 3D) stereo sound which can be set to High, Middle, Low, or Off.
Hold Switch: The Hold switch locks the current conditions of the Digital Voice recorder; all the units buttons and functions will be disabled. This feature is useful when the recorder has to be carried in a bag or pocket.
Power-Save Mode: If the recorder is stopped for 5 minutes or longer during recording or playing, it goes into Standby (Power-Save) mode, and the display shuts off. To exit Standby mode and turn on the display, you can press any button on the unit.
Battery Powered: The Digital Voice Recorder with Music Player operates off a single "AAA" battery (Ni-MH battery included). The included rechargeable Ni-MH "AAA" battery can be charged inside the voice recorder when connected to your computer's USB port. The WS-510M provides the following continuous operation times based on operation mode, record mode, playback mode and battery type.
- Voice Recorder:
- Ni-MH Battery (included): The supplied Ni-MH battery provides up to 21 hours of recording time and 12 hours of playback time with built-in speaker (22 hours of playback time with headphones).
- Alkaline Battery (optional): An optional Alkaline battery provides up to 21 hours of recording time and 12 hours of playback time with built-in speaker (26 hours of playback time with headphones).
- Music Player:
- Ni-MH Battery (included): The supplied Ni-MH battery provides up to 22 hours of WMA file playback time and 21 hours of MP3 playback time from a pair of headphones.
- Alkaline Battery (optional): An optional Alkaline battery provides up to 26 hours of WMA file playback time and 25 hours of MP3 playback time from a pair of headphones.
Note: The supplied rechargeable Ni-MH "AAA" battery should be fully charged before initial use.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.