Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
12-megapixel digital camera with 5X optical zoom
Item # 279XZ10 | MFR # V101030BU000
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Olympus XZ-10 by Crutchfield's David Brown
A fast-lens camera that fits in your pocket
Whether you're looking for improved photo quality over basic compact cameras or a more portable alternative to your DSLR, the Olympus XZ-10 will fulfill your needs. It features a fast iZuiko lens that gathers enough light for incredibly detailed photos. Even in poor lighting, you can shoot with fast shutter speeds and still capture wonderfully bright, crisp images. The f/1.8 lens also allows for shallow depth of field — perfect for blurring backgrounds while your foreground subject is sharply focused. And the 5X optical zoom can be doubled with minimal image degradation thanks to Olympus's Super Resolution Zoom.
Assignable control ring
Get a taste of old-school manual controls with the XZ-10's control ring. Located on the outside of the lens, it can be customized to control one of several different functions, including zoom, aperture, and shutter speed. It works great with full manual exposure control, as well as aperture and shutter priority modes, so you can express your creative side. Or if you'd prefer to let the camera optimize the settings for you, auto and scene modes are easy ways to capture the perfect shot.
Touchscreen display and creative effects
Navigating menus and changing settings are easy thanks to the XZ-10's touchscreen LCD monitor. Touch and tap your way through this camera's many on-board editing options — from correcting "red eye" to applying cool filters and effects. You can even apply them to HD video clips, shot in eye-popping 1080p resolution with the versatile XZ-10.
What's in the Box:
- Black digital camera
- LI-50B Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (3.7 Volts 925 mAh)
- F-2AC-1B AC adapter (DC output: 5.0 Volts/500 mA)
- Wrist strap
- 27" USB cable (Type A USB on one end and proprietary connector on other end)
- Stylus pen
- Olympus Setup CD-ROM
- Quick Start Guide (En/Fr/Sp)
- Warranty card
- 12-megapixel effective recording with backside-illuminated CMOS sensor
- 5X optical zoom (2X digital zoom)
- 3" high-resolution touchscreen LCD (920,000 dots)
- 35mm equivalent focal length: 26-130mm
- records photos and video onto optional SD, SDHC, or SDXC memory cards
- compatible with Eye-Fi memory cards for sharing photos wirelessly
- f/1.8-2.7 iZuiko lens offers superior light-gathering ability
- sensor-shift image stabilization for blur-free photos
- TruePic VI Image Processor produces photos with clear detail, natural colors, and low noise
- variable ISO (film speed equivalent) settings including a high sensitivity mode (ISO 12,800) for low-light and flash-free shooting
- full-HD movie mode (up to 1080p resolution)
- program auto, shutter-priority, aperture-priority, and manual exposure modes
- hybrid control ring allows assignable digital and analog manual adjustments
- Backlight HDR mode creates even lighting throughout a photo by snapping and combining multiple shots with different exposure levels
- continuous shooting mode captures up to 5 frames per second
- image storage modes: JPEG, RAW, and RAW+JPEG
- AF illuminator makes focusing easier in low-light settings
- ePortrait mode lets you soften shadows or smooth complexions before or after shooting
- 11 art filters and 5 art effects for stills and video include Grainy Film, Pop Art, and Frame Effect
- built-in flash
Connections and Dimensions:
- HDMI (micro) and USB outputs
- 4"W x 2-1/2"H x 1-3/8"D
- weight (with battery and SD card): 7.7 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- rechargeable lithium-ion battery and charging station
- USB cable
- wrist strap
- touchscreen pen
- software CD-ROM
Olympus XZ-10 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size||3"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||26-130mm|
|Sensor Size||1/2.3" CMOS|
|Image Stabilization||Sensor Shift|
|Highest Resolution||3968 x 2976|
|Video Resolution||1920 x 1080|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||7.7|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Olympus Stylus XZ-10 is an advanced point-and-shoot camera with high quality features. It has a bright, fast iZuiko lens, a high sensitivity CMOS image sensor, and a 3" touch screen monitor.
Optics: The XZ-10 is equipped with a bright and fast F1.8-2.7 5x zoom lens. The lens has a focal length of 4.7-23.5mm (equivalent to 26-130mm in 35mm photography). The 26mm equivalent wide angle lens allows you to capture expansive landscapes and group pictures, while the 5x zoom lets you get closer to the action. The 2x Digital Tele-converter doubles the zoom power without degrading the image.
LCD Touch Monitor: The camera is equipped with a 3.0" LCD touch screen monitor with approximately 920,000 dots and as aspect ratio of 3:2. The XZ-10 lets you adjust the brightness and color temperature of the monitor. Using the touch screen, you can change the shooting mode and playback mode, adjust settings on the super control panel, use the live guides, and tap the subject to focus and take a picture.
Control Ring: The camera has a hybrid control ring around the lens with advanced manual controls. You can use the control ring for manual focusing, or to change the settings while pressing the Fn (function) button. While viewing images, the control ring can be used to change the magnification strength or to crop an image.
iHS: iHS technology is a combination of the high-sensitivity, high-speed 1/2.3" 12MP backlit CMOS sensor and the exceptionally fast TruePic VI image processor. The result is fast auto focusing, an enhanced iAuto shooting mode that recognizes multiple scenes and subjects, and 2x Super Resolution Zoom that lets you zoom in farther than the optical zoom without degrading the image.
Recording Media: The XZ-10 records still images or movies onto optional SD, SDHC, or SDXC Memory Cards.
Eye-Fi and FlashAir: When you use an Eye-Fi or FlashAir memory card in the XZ-10, you can transfer photos wirelessly to smartphones and tablets via Wi-Fi.
Dual Image Stabilization: The camera combines Sensor-shift Image Stabilization with high ISO sensitivity and fast shutter speeds, so you can capture sharp, blur-free images, even if your subject is moving.
Multi-Motion Movie IS: You can activate a special IS Movie Mode to reduce the blur caused by camera shake while shooting movies.
Focusing Range: The focus range for the normal and macro shooting modes is 4" to infinity for wide angle and 12" to infinity in telephoto. Super Macro mode allows you to take shots as close as 0.4"
AF Illuminator: The camera has a built-in LED illuminator that assists in Auto Focusing, or illuminates a subject in shadows. It can be set to automatically illuminate when the shutter button is pressed halfway.
Flash: The camera's built-in flash operates in the following modes:
- Flash Auto: The flash fires automatically in low light or backlight conditions.
- Red-eye Reduction Flash: This emits pre-flashes for red-eye reduction.
- Fill-in Flash: The flash fires regardless of the available light.
- Slow Synchronization: Slow shutter speeds are used to brighten dimly-lit backgrounds
- Slow Sync/Red-Reduction: Combines slow synchronization with red-eye reduction.
- Remote Control: For using a Olympus Wireless RC Flash System-compatible flash for taking pictures.
- Slave: For using a commercially-available slave flash that is synchronized with the camera flash.
- Manual: For advanced users that prefer manual operation.
- Flash Off: The flash does not fire.
Optional Wireless Flash: You can use an optional external flash unit to achieve a flash suited to your needs. These compatible flash units have a remote control mode that can be used for wireless flash. Compatible flash units include the FL-36R, FL-50R, FL-300R, and FL-600R.
Self-Timer: You can take pictures of yourself using the 12-second built-in self timer. The 2-second self-timer also aids in preventing camera shake.
Power Requirements: The XZ-10 is powered by the LI-50B Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (3.7 volts, 925 mAh). The battery charges in the camera in approximately 3 hours when it is connected to the supplied F-2AC-1B AC adapter via USB. You can also charge it via USB from your computer in about 10 hours. A fully charged battery lasts for approximately 240 shots, with 50% flash usage.
Recording Images and Movies: The Stylus XZ-10 can record still images and Full HD movies in the following resolutions:
- Still Pictures: JPEG and RAW (Large only)
- Image Size:
4:3 16:9 3:2 1:1 Large 3968 x 2976 3968 x 2232 3936 x 2624 2976 x 2976 Middle 2560 x 1920 2560 x 1440 2544 x 1696 1920 x 1920 Small 1280 x 960 1280 x 720 1296 x 864 960 x 960
- Compression: SuperFine (1/2.7), Fine (1/4), Normal (1/8), Basic (1/12)
- Aspect Ratio: 4:3, 3:2, 16:9, or 1:1
- Image Size:
- Video: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264
- Normal: Full HD: 1920 x 1080, HD: 1280 x 720
- Maximum Recording Length: 4 GB file size
Shooting Modes: The top-mounted mode dial lets you choose between several shooting modes:
- iAuto: The camera automatically selects the optimal shooting mode for the scene.
- Program: The camera automatically sets shutter speed and aperture, but allows you to make changes to a wide range of other settings, such as exposure compensation, white balance, etc.
- Aperture Priority: You control the aperture to sharpen or soften background details.
- Shutter Priority: You control the shutter speed to express the motion of moving subjects or freeze motion without blur.
- Manual: You control both aperture and shutter speed. You can shoot with long exposures for fireworks or other dark scenes.
- Custom: You can save shooting settings in Custom mode in advance, then quickly recall those settings when shooting.
- Photo Collage: You can create a photo collage with your choice of themes: standard, speed, zoom in/out, and fun frames.
- Scene: Lets you select from the following pre-programmed settings: Portrait, e-Portrait, Landscape, Sport, Hand-held Starlight, Night Scene, Night+Portrait, Sunset, Documents, Panorama, Fireworks, Multi Exposure, Beach & Snow, and Backlight HDR.
- Art: You can choose from the following Art Filters: Pop Art, Soft Focus, Pale & Light Color, Light Tone, Grainy Film, Pin Hole, Diorama, Cross Process, Gentle Sepia, Dramatic Tone, or Key Line.
Sequential Shooting: The camera can take one frame at a time, or a sequence of pictures at a time by holding down the shutter button. During sequential shooting, the focus, exposure, and white balance are fixed when the first frame is shot. Normal Sequential Shooting records up to 200 photos at about 5 frames per second. During High Speed Sequential Shooting, photos are taken at about 15 fps.
Bracketing: While shooting in P, A, S, or M mode, you can take a series of shots with varying settings. Two or three shots are taken with varying exposures in 0.3EV, 0.7EV, or 1.0EV intervals. The camera brackets the currently selected exposure.
Sensitivity: The higher the ISO value, the greater the camera's light sensitivity and better its ability to shoot in low light. The XZ-10 can automatically set the camera's sensitivity according to the conditions around the subject. To minimize blur caused by a moving subject or camera movement, the camera can automatically use a higher sensitivity (compared to Auto). Manual settings include ISO 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, and 6400.
Exposure Compensation: In some situations, you may get better results by adjusting the exposure slightly using exposure compensation. You can adjust from -3.0 to + 3.0 EV in 1/3 stop increments.
Still Image Audio Recording: When activated, you can record up to four seconds of audio and attach it to a recorded picture.
Image Playback: Once still images or movies have been captured, the camera gives you several options for playing them back:
- Manual Playback: view images manually one-by-one
- Slide Show: play still images back as a slide show. You can select to include all, or images from a single event, or in a specific collection created with PC software. You can choose from five types of background music, intervals of 2-10 seconds, and three types of transitions.
- Index Display: For viewing multiple images at once, you can create an index display of 4, 9 or 25 frames.
- Playback Zoom: During playback, you can use the control ring to zoom in for close-up playback.
Outputs: The XZ-10 is equipped with an HDMI Micro Connector (Type D) for connecting the camera to an HDMI-equipped HDTV. The output can be set to 1080i, 720p, or 480p (576p if PAL is selected). If the connected HDTV is compatible with HDMI Control, you can set the camera to be controlled by the TV's remote control. The camera also has a proprietary multi-connector used as a USB port (with the supplied USB cable) or an audio/video output (with an optional CB-AVC3 AV cable).
Editing Pictures: If a picture you have taken turns out less-than-perfect, you can edit it using one of the following:
- Image Size: You can save a high-resolution image as a separate image with a smaller size to use in e-mail attachments or other applications. You can choose 1280 x 960, 640 x 480 or 320 x 240. Only 4:3 images can be resized.
- Aspect Ratio: You can change the aspect ratio of 4:3 images to 3:2, 16:9, or 1:1.
- Cropping: You can zoom in using the cropping frame, and create a new image.
- Shadow Adjust: You can brighten areas that are dark due to backlighting of other reasons
- Redeye Fix: Red-eyes caused by flash shooting can be retouched.
- Rotate: You can rotate the image to the proper orientation.
- e-Portrait: Makes skin look smooth and translucent.
Erasing/Protecting Images: Unwanted images can be erased one at a time or all at once. You can protect important images to avoid accidentally erasing them. Once an image is protected, it cannot be erased during a single-frame erase or all-frame erase function. Protected images are erased when the memory is reformatted.
PictBridge Printing Capability: Using the supplied USB cable, you can connect this camera directly to a PictBridge-compliant printer. PictBridge is a standard that allows you to connect a PictBridge compliant camera directly to a PictBridge compliant printer and make prints, regardless of brand.
Print Reservation: Applying Print Reservation (Print Order) to your pictures allows you to take the memory card to a DPOF-compatible photo lab for printing, or print them on a DPOF-compatible printer at home, without using a computer. DPOF is the Digital Print Order Format and allows you to add information to your picture files such as which pictures to print, the number of prints desired, add the date and time to each image, etc.
Supplied Software: The XZ-10 iHS comes with Olympus Viewer 3 software on CD-ROM. The disc also includes a full Camera Instruction Manual. The software is compatible with the following Operating Systems:
- Windows XP (SP2 or later)
- Windows Vista
- Windows 7
- Windows 8
- Mac OS X v10.5-v10.8
Mass Storage Device: When the camera is used as a Mass Storage device, you can connect it to computers running the following operating systems:
- Windows XP Home Edition/Professional
- Windows Vista
- Windows 7
- Windows 8
- Mac OS X v10.3 or later
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.