Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens
L Series super telephoto lens with optical image stabilization for Canon EOS SLR cameras
Our take on the Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens by Crutchfield's Woody Sherman
The best in its class gets better
It's 28% lighter than its predecessor. That fact alone would make this long, fast lens worth snapping up. But that's only part of the story. This Canon L Series flagship lens also features the advanced, three-mode image stabilization technology that's made it a favorite of nature and sports photographers everywhere. Whether you're on the far side of the stadium before the clutch field goal, or trying to isolate that rare egret perched on a branch in the marsh, this lens features the reach, the stability, and the light-gathering capacity for your most challenging assignments.
A distinguished optical pedigree
In order to give clarity and sharpness to every subject, the lens features some of the world's most advanced optics: Fluorite elements to reduce chromatic aberration. Subwavelength Structure Coating to reduce flaring and ghosting. Fluorine coatings on the front and back elements for dirt, oil, and water resistance. Your work will be virtually free of distortion and color fringing. Canon has put its innovation to work in making a lens that sets the standard for its class while being highly portable.
Whether you're a working pro or an advanced photo enthusiast, you'll be sure to appreciate the thought and workmanship that went into the making of this lens every time you capture the perfect shot. It makes one of the toughest challenges in photography — capturing action from a distance — a piece of cake.
- EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM II telephoto lens
- compatible with Canon EOS film and digital SLR cameras
- effective focal length:
- 400mm with full-frame digital or film cameras
- 520mm with APS-H sensor cameras
- 640mm with APS-C sensor cameras
- Canon pro-quality L Series lens for superior image sharpness and durability
- Image Stabilization II allows in-focus shots with longer exposure times (up to four stops slower shutter speed)
- three Optical Image Stabilizer modes:
- Mode 1 provides optimum performance with stationary subjects
- Mode 2 provides a smoother view through the finder when panning moving subjects
- Mode 3 prevents stabilizer over-compensation and interference with framing of distant or fast-moving subjects by activating only when the shutter button is fully pressed
- two fluorite elements deliver sharper images with less chromatic aberration
- ring-type Ultrasonic Motor (USM) for fast, silent autofocus
- magnesium and titanium construction for lighter weight and durability
- dust-proof and water-resistant design
- available full-time manual focusing
- minimum focus distance: 8.86 feet
- lens construction: 16 elements in 12 groups
- rear holder accepts drop-in 52mm filters (optional adapter required to accept standard 52mm screw-in filters)
- lens is 13 1/2" long, 5 7/16" in diameter
- weight: 8.48 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- tripod mounting foot
- lens hood
- front and rear lens caps
- carrying case
Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Preliminary info from the manufacturer
Features and Specs
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Canon EF400mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens is a high-performance super-telephoto lens for use with Canon EOS cameras. The lens features a built-in Image Stabilizer (IS), as well as an Ultrasonic Motor (USM). The lens is constructed of 16 elements (including Ultra-low Dispersion UD glass, fluorite, and aspherical elements) in 12 groups for truly exceptional imaging capability.
Focus Modes: The EF400 lens is equipped with a three-way switch for setting the Focus Mode. You can choose from AF (auto focus), PF (power focus), or MF (manual focus). In Manual Focus mode, you can focus on your subject by turning the focus ring. The Power Focus mode allows you to change the focus at a set speed--a useful feature for changing focus when shooting movies.
Focus Preset: By presetting any focusing distance, you can instantly focus at that point even while you are shooting a different subject. The Focus Preset switch on the side of the lens barrel lets you turn the feature on or off, while the Set button is for setting the preset focus distance.
Image Stabilizer II (IS II): The new built-in Image Stabilizer II can be used in the AF (autofocus), PF (power focus), or MF (manual focus) modes. The Image Stabilizer gives the equivalent effect of a shutter speed four stops faster. Two switches located on the barrel of the lens allow you to turn the image stabilizer on and off, and switch between the three stabilizer modes:
- Mode 1: used for normal photography; corrects vibrations in all directions
- Mode 2: corrects vertical camera shake during following shots in a horizontal direction; also corrects horizontal camera shake during following shots in a vertical direction.
- Mode 3: corrects vibration only during exposure. During panning shots, corrects vibration during exposure only in one direction (the same as Mode 2).
Ultrasonic Motor (USM): The EF400mm lens is equipped with a ring-type Ultrasonic Motor (USM) for silent, high-speed auto focusing.
Focusing Ring: Regardless of whether you're in manual or auto focus mode, the focusing ring always works. This means you can auto focus on a subject, but manually change the focus by turning the focusing ring.
Focus Range Switch: You can switch between two focusing ranges using the three-way switch on the barrel of the lens. You can choose from Full, a range of 2.7-7 meters (8.9-23') to infinity, or a range of 7 meters (23') to infinity. Depending on your subject matter, the correct choice of focus range can reduce the auto focusing time.
Lens Hood/Tripod Mount: The included ET-155 lens hood cuts out unwanted light and protects the lens from rain, snow, and dust. You can reverse-mount the lens hood on the lens for storage. The tripod mount allows you to mount the camera onto a tripod by the lens instead of the camera body. The orientation locking knob can be loosened to allow you to quickly change between vertical and horizontal positions.
Optional Lens Extenders: The lens is compatible with EF1.4x II/III and EF2x II/III lens extenders (sold separately). The extenders will increase the focal length to 560mm (EF1.4x) and 800mm (EF2x).
Optional Filters: The EF400mm lens has a built-in 52-series (WII) drop-in gelatin filter holder with a glass filter. An optional Drop-in Screw-type Filter Holder and a Drop-in Circular Polarizing Filter are sold separately.
- Focal Length: 400mm
- Minimum Aperture: f/32
- Maximum Aperture: f/2.8
- Minimum Focus Distance: 8.9 feet
- Angle of View:
- Diagonal: 6° 10'
- Vertical: 3° 30'
- Horizontal: 5° 10'
- Dimensions: 6.4" Diameter, 13.5" Length, 135.8 Ounces
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.