Canon EF 85mm f/1.4L IS USM
Medium telephoto prime lens for Canon EOS DSLR cameras
Our take on the Canon EF 85mm f/1.4L IS USM by Crutchfield's Deia Z.
A high-performance prime
Great for natural-looking portraits, close-ups, and detail shots, this medium telephoto L-series prime lens from Canon lets you shoot at a relaxed distance from your subject. This lens excels indoors and in low light, thanks to its large maximum aperture. Nine circular aperture blades deliver smooth defocused backgrounds so your subject is sure to stand out.
This is Canon's first 85mm L-series lens to have built-in Image Stabilization to minimize image blur and camera shake when shooting in low light without a tripod.
- Canon EF 85mm f/1.4L IS USM lens
- designed for use with Canon digital SLR cameras
- 35mm equivalent focal length: 85mm on full-frame cameras; 136mm on APS-C cameras
- large maximum aperture for exceptional low-light photography and smooth defocused backgrounds
- built-in Image Stabilization minimizes blur at slower shutter speeds
- ring-type Ultrasonic Motor (USM) for fast, silent autofocus
- Air Sphere Coating (ASC) minimizes ghosting and flare
- protective fluorine coating reduces fingerprints and smudges
- GMo (Glass-Molded) aspherical element for outstanding image quality
- available full-time manual focusing (automatically overrides autofocus)
- constructed of 14 elements in 10 groups
- minimum focus distance: 2.79'
- 9-blade circular aperture for smooth background defocusing
- dust and water sealing provide protection from the elements
- filter diameter: 77mm
- lens is 3-1/2" in diameter, 4-3/16" long
- weight: 33.5 oz.
- includes front and rear lens caps, lens hood, and soft case
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- EF 85mm f/1.4L IS USM lens
- E-77 II Lens cap (installed)
- Rear lens cap (installed)
- ET-83E Lens hood
- LP1219 Soft carrying pouch
- EF Lens Instructions
- Warranty Card
Why Shop With Us?10 Reasons.
Features and Specs
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Canon EF85mm f/1.4L IS USM lens is an L-series, fixed length, medium-telephoto lens for Canon EOS cameras. The lens has a high-precision, large-diameter aspheric lens element for excellent imaging performance, even at maximum aperture. The round aperture gives you a narrow depth of field and the desired soft background blur. The lens includes the LP1219 Lens Case and the ET-83E Lens Hood.
Ultrasonic Motor (USM): The EF 85mm f/1.4L IS USM lens is equipped with an Ultrasonic Motor for silent, high-speed auto focusing. The inner focusing system works with a high-speed CPU and optimized AF algorithms to provide its quick, accurate focusing performance.
Focusing Ring: Regardless of whether you're in manual or auto focus mode, the focusing ring always works. This means you can auto focus on a subject, but manually change the focus by turning the focusing ring.
Image Stabilizer (IS): Camera shake can cause blurring when shooting in low light and at long focal lengths. Canon's advanced Image Stabilizer uses digital technology to detect camera shake and signal precise lens shifts that compensate for the movement. The EF 85mm lens provides significant shake reduction equivalent to up to 4 shutter speed steps. You can turn the Image Stabilizer on or off as desired by using the 2-way switch on the lens barrel. With the switch set to On, image stabilization begins when you press the shutter button halfway. Once the image in the viewfinder is stable, you can take the picture by pressing the shutter button the rest of the way.
Focus Mode Switch: You can switch between Auto Focus and Manual Focus using the two-way AF/MF switch on the barrel of the lens.
Lens Construction: The EF 85mm f/1.4L IS USM has 14 lens elements in 10 groups, including a molded glass (GMo) aspherical lens to provide sharp images from edge-to-edge. The Image Stabilizer lens features Canon's Anti-reflective Coating (ASC) to reduce flare and ghosting when shooting backlit subjects. The front element of the lens features a fluorine coating that prevents fingerprints on the lens and stops dirt from sticking. This allows you to easily wipe away dirt and fingerprints that may appear on the lens surface.
Lens Hood: The lens kit includes the ET-83E lens hood to keep unwanted light out of the lens, and protect the front of the lens. The hood can be reverse-mounted on the lens for storage. When installed, the hood adds approximately 1-1/4" to the overall length of the lens.
Optional Filters: The EF85mm lens has a 77mm mounting thread on the front of lens for attaching screw-on type filters.
- Focal Length/Aperture: 85mm f/1.4
- Lens Construction: 14 elements in 10 groups
- Minimum Aperture: f/22
- Maximum Magnification: 0.12x
- Field of View: 7.44" x 11.02" (at 2.79 feet)
- Angle of View:
- Diagonal: 28°30'
- Vertical: 16°
- Horizontal: 24°
- Minimum Focus Distance: 2.79' (0.85m)
- Supplied Accessories:
- Lens Hood: ET-83E
- Lens Cap: E-77 II
- Case: LP1219
- Diameter: 3.5"
- Length: 4.442" (5.123" with caps)
- Weight: 33.5 ounces
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Frequently Compared With
Canon EF 85mm f/1.4L IS USM
Medium telephoto prime lens for Canon EOS DSLR cameras$1,599.00
Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
Standard prime lens for DX format Nikon DSLR cameras
Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED VR II
Telephoto zoom lens for DX format Nikon DSLR cameras
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G
Standard prime lens for Nikon SLR cameras$1,599.95