Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens
For Canon EOS M digital cameras
Item # 280EFM1855 | MFR # 5984B002
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens by Crutchfield's Woody Sherman
Add some creative framing options to your Canon EOS M
You're justifiably proud of your Canon EOS M camera with its included 22mm lens, because the image quality is impressive. But there are times when it would be handy to have a bit wider of an angle or the ability to zoom in to your subject. This lens will cover all your everyday photographic challenges in style. Its approximate 3X zoom range gives you the flexibility to stand in one place and recompose your framing for the shot you want.
It's well suited to video shooting, too, with an ultra-quiet stepping motor powering the autofocus mechanism (that's the "STM" in the lens' designation). No robotic lens adjustment sounds will interrupt your next great movie's soundtrack.
What's in the Box:
- Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens
- E-52 II Lens cap (installed)
- Rear Lens Dust Cap EB (installed)
- Warranty/Product Registration card
- EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM wide-angle to telephoto zoom lens with 35mm equivalent of 29-88mm
- compatible with the Canon EOS M mirrorless hybrid digital camera
- image stabilization allows in-focus shots with longer exposure times (up to four stops slower shutter speed)
- minimum focus distance: 10 inches
- constructed of 13 elements in 11 groups
- filter size: 52mm
- lens is 2-5/8" long, 2-7/16" in diameter
- front and rear lens caps included
- weight: 7.4 ounces
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Features and Specs
|Maximum Aperture||f/3.5 (W) - 5.6 (T)|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens is an EF-M series, standard zoom lens for Canon EOS M cameras. It has the EF-M mount, which is compatible only with EOS M cameras. The lens has a compact and lightweight design that won't overpower the smaller hybrid camera body.
Image Stabilizer (IS): The lens features an Image Stabilization system, which provides up to four equivalent f-stops of camera shake compensation. This gives you beautiful videos and still images, even in dim light. The Image Stabilizer function is turned on/off in the camera menu. There is no switch on the lens, as in other Canon EF and EF-S lenses.
Stepping Motor (STM): The lens is equipped with a stepping motor (STM), which provides smooth and quiet continuous auto focus during video shooting.
Focusing Ring: When you're in manual focus mode on the camera, you can focus manually on the subject using the focus ring on the lens. There is no focus mode switch on the lens.
Optional Lens Hood/Case: The optional EW-54 lens hood can be added to keep unwanted light out of the lens, and protects the lens from rain, snow, and dust. The optional LP814 lens case will protect the lens when not in use.
- Focal Length/Aperture: 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
- Lens Construction: 11 groups, 13 elements
- Minimum Aperture: f/22 (W) to f/36 (T)
- Maximum Magnification: 0.25x (at 55mm)
- Field of View: approx. 6.61" x 10.24" to 2.40" x 3.62"
- Angle of View:
- Diagonal: 74° 20' to 27° 50'
- Vertical: 45° 30' to 15° 40'
- Horizontal: 64° 30' to 23° 20'
- Minimum Focus Distance: 9.84" (0.25m)
- Diameter: 2.4"
- Length: 2.593" (3.183" with caps)
- Weight: 7.4 ounces
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.