Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
Wide-angle zoom lens for APS-C sensor Canon EOS DSLR cameras
Item # 280EFS1755 | MFR # 1242B002
Instant Savings: -$80.00
$799.00 Earn up to 799 Rewards points
Offers & Financing
Our take on the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM by Crutchfield's Woody Sherman
At first glimpse, you might think this lens is just a typical zoom that comes standard with a great many cameras. But there's an important qualification on this lens. Note the f/2.8 descriptor — this means that this lens features a wide, light-gathering f/2.8 maximum aperture throughout its entire zoom range, giving it exceptional performance in low light. This means indoor, natural light shots will pop, and portrait-length shots (when you're zoomed all the way in) can highlight your subject against a creamy, blurred-focus backdrop. The large, meticulously crafted glass elements feature special coatings to reduce flaring and ghosting, and offer sharp, bright, saturated images with very little color fringing across the range. Image stabilization gives you even more performance in limited light, and the fast and quiet USM autofocus motor keeps your fleeting photo opportunities sharp and clear.
- EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS zoom lens with 35mm equivalent of 27-88mm
- Image Stabilization allows in-focus shots with longer exposure times (up to four shutter speeds slower)
- UD (Ultra-low Dispersion) glass lens element corrects chromatic aberration for excellent image quality throughout the zoom range
- compatible with Canon APS-C format digital SLR cameras (not recommended for full-frame cameras)
- minimum focus distance: 14 inches
- minimum aperture: f22
- lens construction: 19 elements in 12 groups
- attachment/filter size: 77mm
- weight: 22.8 oz.
- lens is 4-13/16" long, 3-5/16" in diameter
- front and rear lens caps included
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM lens
- E-77mm Lens cap (installed)
- Rear Lens Cap (installed)
- Instructions on CD-ROM
- EF Lens Quick Guide
- Warranty/Product Registration card
- Canon Worldwide Locations sheet
Features and Specs
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM lens is an EF-S series, fast standard zoom lens for Canon EOS cameras with APS-C sized image sensors. The lens has a large, circular f/2.8 aperture, which produces a shallow depth-of-field and a pleasing background blur that draws attention to the subject.
Image Stabilizer (IS): The lens features shifting Image Stabilizer lens groups to compensate for camera movement so the image appears steady on the image plane, ensuring crisp, clear images, even in dim light.
Ultrasonic Motor (USM): The lens is equipped with a ring-type Ultrasonic Motor (USM) for silent, high-speed auto focusing. Combined with inner focusing, and new AF algorithms, the lens achieves autofocus quickly and quietly.
Focusing Ring: Regardless of whether you're in manual or auto focus mode, the full-time mechanical focusing ring always works. This means you can auto focus on a subject, but manually change the focus by turning the focusing ring.
Focus Mode Switch: You can switch between Auto Focus and Manual Focus using the two-way AF/MF switch on the barrel of the lens.
Optional Filters/Extension Tubes: The EF-S 17-55mm lens has a 77mm mounting thread on the front of lens for attaching screw-on type filters, such as a Circular Polarizing Filter. You can also attach Extension Tube EF12 II for magnified shots.
Optional Lens Hood/Case: The optional EW-83J lens hood can be added to keep unwanted light out of the lens, and protects the lens from rain, snow, and dust. The optional LP1219 lens case will protect the lens when not in use.
- Focal Length/Aperture: 17-55mm f/2.8
- Lens Construction: 12 groups, 19 elements
- Minimum Aperture: f/22
- Maximum Magnification: 0.17x (at 55mm)
- Field of View: approximately 8.1" x 12.2" to 3.5" x 5.2"
- Angle of View:
- Diagonal: 78° 30' to 27° 50'
- Vertical: 48° to 15° 40'
- Horizontal: 68° 40' to 23° 20'
- Minimum Focus Distance: 1.2' (0.35m)
- Diameter: 3.288"
- Length: 4.753" (5.22" with caps)
- Weight: 22.7 ounces
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.