Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Canon VIXIA HF R42
High-definition camcorder with 32GB on-board flash memory and Wi-Fi®
Item #: 280HFR42
This item is no longer available.
Canon VIXIA HF R42
Our take on the Canon VIXIA HF R42 by Crutchfield's Woody Sherman
The Canon VIXIA HF R42 features built-in Wi-Fi® for easy file transfer, remote viewing and more.
Steady long-range specialist
What's the difference between getting the shot no one thought you'd get — and another forgotten clip sitting in the digital flotsam on some forgotten hard drive or memory card? It might just be the Canon VIXIA HF R42 camcorder. With a 32X optical zoom (plus a useful 53X advanced mode), the 'R42 certainly has a long reach. But what makes the winning difference is the sophisticated stabilization, which smooths out shakes even on long telephoto shots. So go ahead: get that shot of your daughter at the top of the cheerleader pyramid on the opposite sideline. Be fearless when you're capturing your wife receiving a plaque at the huge company awards ceremony. You've got a camcorder that can handle the tough stuff.
Connected and versatile
And it's got other intriguing talents as well: with built-in Wi-Fi®, the 'R42 can transfer files, upload to social media or sharing sites online, and it can even be controlled or viewed remotely with a free downloadable app for your compatible smartphone or tablet. So you can send a clip of your new graduate via email, or share it to Facebook, all without connecting a wire. Plus, you can see what the camera sees on your device's screen, so you can block a scene starring yourself via your phone, or check on the baby in the next room via your tablet.
Your child, through the years
If you're a new parent, you'll appreciate Canon's dedicated "Baby Mode," which will determine appropriate camera settings, and create a specific "Baby Album" that will play back your clips in chronological order. Once you register your baby's birth date in the camera's software, it will calculate your child's age and offer to visually "stamp" the video accordingly. Think of it as a video scrapbook that will document every important milestone of your child's development.
Two flavors are better than one
One of the coolest things about this camcorder is that it features the ability to capture video in two modes at once. You can capture in high-quality AVCHD mode to the built-in flash memory, and in web- and computer-friendly MP4 mode to a memory card — at the same time. No need to spend extra time figuring out how to transcode one format to another. You'll always have what you need for the application at hand.
What's in the Box:
- Flash memory camcorder (black)
- BP-718 Lithium-Ion battery (3.6V 1790mAh 6.5Wh)
- CA-110 AC Power adapter with attached 68" DC output cord (DC output: 5.3V/1.5A)
- 5' HDMI cable (with full-size HDMI plug on one end and a mini-HDMI plug on the other end)
- 2' USB cable with Mini USB Ver.2.0 connector on one end and Type-A USB connector on other end
- VIXIA Software (Ver.1.0)/Instruction Manual CD-ROM disc
- Quick Guide (En/Fr/Sp)
- Wi-Fi Basic Setup Guide (En/Fr/Sp/+5 others)
- Transfer Utility LE Startup Guide (En/Fr/Sp/+6 others)
- Register Now card
- Limited Warranty card
- 2 Errata sheets
Storage and Formats:
- records high-definition video and photos onto 32GB internal flash memory
- internal memory holds up to 12 hours of HD video at the lowest AVCHD quality setting
- also takes optional SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards
- video recording automatically switches to SD memory card when internal memory is full
- built-in Wi-Fi allows you to upload video to your PC or to social media, as well as view and control the camcorder from a compatible smart device with a free downloadable app
- maximum video resolution: 1920 x 1080/60p
- 1/4.85-inch CMOS sensor shoots at a full-HD 1920 x 1080 pixels
- advanced DIGIC DV IV image processor
- 32X optical zoom lens (53X Advanced zoom, 1060X digital)
- 3" touch-panel widescreen LCD (230K dots)
- four image stabilization systems optimize image in different shooting situations: Dynamic IS, Macro IS, Powered IS, and Tripod Mode IS
- Baby Mode sets all parameters for documenting your baby's growth, and saves videos into a dedicated "baby album" for chronological playback
- Touch & Track allows you to get precise focus and exposure on any subject
- selectable 24p Cinema Mode for more filmlike video
- record in 28Mbps AVCHD for best quality, or in no-fuss 35Mbps MP4 for easy compatibility with editing software and web uploads
- simultaneously record video to internal memory in AVCHD format, and to an SD card in MP4 format (highest bit rates not supported)
- Touch Decoration lets you add a variety of images and animations to your videos
- Smart Auto Mode chooses setting from 10 preset scenes, including portrait, sports, night scene, low light, beach, snow, and sunset
- includes ImageBrowser EX software
Connections and Dimensions:
- high-speed USB interface (cable included)
- mini HDMI output for connection to an HDTV (cable included)
- microphone and AV/headphone jacks
- comes with an AC adapter/charger and rechargeable lithium ion battery (BP-718)
- 2-7/16"W x 2-1/4"H x 5-3/16"D
- weight: 8.3 oz. without battery
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size (inches)||3.0|
|Total Pixel Count||3,280,000|
|Effective Pixel Count for Video||2,070,000|
|Aspect Ratio||16:9, 4:3|
|Optical Zoom||32 x|
|Digital Zoom||33.1 x|
|Night Imaging||Low Light scene|
|Built-in Video Light||No|
|Built-in Memory||32 GB Flash Memory|
|Max Recording Time w/ Included Battery||100 min|
|Digital Still Camera Features|
|Effective Pixel Count for Stills||2,070,000|
|Built-in Photo Flash||No|
|Still Image Aspect Ratios||16:9|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|USB Port||2.0 High Speed|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||9.8|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Image Sensor Warranty||1 Year|
3.0" Widescreen LCD Touch Screen: The Canon VIXIA HF R42 features a 3.0" TFT, color widescreen LCD touch screen (230,000 pixels) to make it easy to compose and review your shots. The bright screen lets you see exactly what your camcorder is recording, and what your widescreen TV will display later. You can rotate the LCD screen 270° allowing the subject to monitor the LCD screen. The LCD screen also features an adjustable brightness control. The LCD's touch screen contains zoom, playback and menu controls for added convenience.
Note: This camcorder does not feature a separate viewfinder.
Recording Media: The Canon HF R42 camcorder captures video and still-images onto its built-in 32 GB flash memory or optional SD, SDHC, or SDXC memory cards (sold separately). Cards with a speed rating of Class 6 or 10 are recommended for recording movies with a video quality of 60P or 35Mbps. There are no memory cards included with the camcorder.
Recording Formats: The camcorder records movies in AVCHD (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264) video compression format with Dolby Digital 2-channel audio, ideal for playback with highest picture quality, or easy-to-share MP-4 with AAC 2-channel audio. Still photos are recorded with JPEG image compression. Recording options include:
- 60P: 1920 x 1080
- MXP: 1920 x 1080
- FXP: 1920 x 1080
- LP: 1440 x 1080
- 35 Mbps: 1920 x 1080
- 24 Mbps: 1920 x 1080
- 17 Mbps: 1920 x 1080
- 4 Mbps: 1280 x 720
- Still Photos:
- 1920 x 1080
- 1280 x 720 (MP 4 movies at 4 Mbps)
- 1920 x 1080 (photos captured from video)
Dual Recording: The Dual Recording function allows you to record a movie in AVCHD for watching on an HDTV and simultaneously record the same scene in the MP4 format for sharing or uploading. The MP4 movie is saved on the memory not currently selected for recording. Movies in the highest resolution (60P and 35 Mbps) are not available for Dual Recording.
Image Sensor: The HF R42 features a 1/4.85" CMOS image sensor with approximately 3,280,000 gross pixels for excellent detail and clarity when recording video and exceptional digital still photography performance. The effective pixel count is approximately 2,070,000 for movies and still images.
DIGIC DV 4: The HF R42 is equipped with the DIGIC DV 4, Canon's new HD image processor. It captures more light than its predecessor DV III, for brighter, cleaner images. It also features increased processing power for better image stabilization, even when walking.
Genuine Canon Video Lens: The HF R42 comes with a Genuine Canon HD video lens with a 32x Optical zoom, 53x Advanced zoom, and 1060x total digital zoom.
Zoom Speed: The zoom speed can be set to variable or one of three fixed speeds. In the variable position, the zoom speed depends on how far you push the lever. The purpose of the three fixed zoom speeds is a smoother zoom transition, at your choice of speeds.
Built-in Wi-Fi: The HF R42 is equipped with built-in Wi-Fi for wirelessly sharing your movies and images with your friends and family. You can upload images and video to various Social Networking sites through the Canon Image Gateway online photo album, or send them to a PC (connected via an access point) for storage. With the free Camera Access App, you can enjoy live streaming and remote operation on an iOS or Android device. The Movie Uploader App from Pixela lets you view, save, or upload your movies to a iOS device. Most of the Wi-Fi features are compatible with iOS 5/6 devices, including iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPad 2, iPad 3rd, and iPod touch 4th/5th generation. Remote Browsing is also compatible with select Android devices running version 4.0 and up.
Dynamic Image Stabilizer: Dynamic Image Stabilizer (Dynamic IS) provides continuous adjustment throughout the entire zoom range to correct a broad range of motion. Extra compensation is applied at wide angle focal lengths to eliminate unwanted vibration that is common when walking. You can select Dynamic or Standard image stabilization, depending upon the degree of camcorder shake, or Off when using a tripod.
Video Snapshot: The camcorder's Video Snapshot mode lets you shoot a series of short video clips of 2, 4, or 8 seconds, then combines them with a pre-recorded music track or your own favorite music track, to create an entertaining movie.
Focus Assistance: The Focus Assist feature provides a 2x magnification of your subject in the LCD monitor before you start recording. When recording begins, the Focus Assist is canceled.
Face Detection: The camcorder can automatically detect people's faces and use this information to adjust the focus and set the best exposure and color control settings for beautiful videos and photos. When there are a number of people in the picture, one person will be determined to be the main subject. You can also select the main subject manually.
Exposure Modes: The HF R42 features several auto exposure modes, plus a manual exposure adjustment for scenes that appear underexposed or overexposed. The available exposure modes include:
- Baby Mode: Baby Mode lets you record your baby's milestone moments with settings optimized for baby's skin. You can also add a stamp to the video to show how much time has passed since the baby was born.
- AUTO Mode: You can take videos and photos easily, by letting the camcorder automatically adjust settings based on the recording situation. Some functions are not available during AUTO mode.
- Programmed AE: The camcorder automatically adjusts the aperture and shutter speed to obtain the optimal exposure for the subject, while you are able to adjust the other settings.
- Cinema Mode: The camcorder will adjust the frame rate to give your recordings a cinematic look. You can also apply a variety of cinema-look filters to create movies with a unique appearance.
- Special Scene Recording Modes: The Special Scene modes adjust the camera settings according to the scene. You can select Portrait, Sports, Night Scene, Snow, Beach, Sunset, Spotlight, Fireworks, or Low Light.
- Programmed AE Mode: This mode gives you the most control while shooting. The camcorder automatically adjusts the shutter speed and aperture, while you control other settings to achieve the desired results.
White Balance: The white balance system helps you accurately reproduce colors under different lighting conditions so that white objects will always look truly white in your recordings. You can choose from the following modes: Automatic, Daylight, Tungsten, and Custom WB.
Self-Timer: This feature allows the camcorder to start recording after a 10-second countdown.
Level And Grid Markers: Capturing level, well-composed shots is simple with the HF R42. Line up the horizon or other horizontal lines with the Level Marker in the viewfinder for level landscapes. Or, use the Grid Marker to help compose the perfect shot. Both markers can be set to white or gray for enhanced visibility, no matter what the background.
Pre-Recording: When Pre-Recording is activated, the camcorder starts recording video continuously into a temporary 3-second memory. When you press the Start/Stop button, the scene recorded will have started 3 seconds before you started shooting. This is especially useful when it is difficult to predict when to start recording.
Built-in Speaker: The camcorder has a built-in speaker so you can review the soundtrack as well as the picture when you're using the LCD screen to playback a recording. The built-in speaker is monaural.
Playback Functions: The camera uses the following special playback modes: Fast Playback (5x, 15x or 60x) in either direction, Slow Playback (1/8x, 1/4x) in either direction, and Frame-by-Frame Playback (approx 0.5 sec). During these playback modes there is no sound.
Li-ion Battery Pack: The Canon HF R42 comes supplied with a rechargeable BP-718 Lithium-ion Battery Pack (3.6V, 1790 mAh, 6.5 Wh). If you desire a spare battery, you can purchase another BP-718, or the larger capacity BP-727 battery. The camcorder also comes supplied with an AC power adapter and charger (CA-110). The battery recording and playback times are as follows:
|Usage Time||Battery||Battery Life by Recording Format|
|BP-718||90-100 min||85-115 min|
|BP-727||135-155 min||135-175 min|
|BP-718||50-60 min||50-65 min|
|BP-727||80-85 min||80-100 min|
|Playback||BP-718||140-160 min||140-165 min|
|BP-727||215-245 min||220-255 min|
Charging Times: The BP-718 battery charges in 335 minutes when charging through the camcorder with the supplied AC adapter. The charging time is 220 minutes when using an optional CG-700 battery charger. The optional BP-727 battery charges in 465 min in the camcorder, and in 315 min in the CG-700 charger.
Auto Power Off: After 3 minutes without any operation when powered by the battery, the camcorder automatically powers off. Approximately 30 seconds before the camcorder automatically turns itself off, a warning message appears in the display.
Quick Start: When you close the LCD panel with the camcorder on, the camcorder enters the standby mode. In standby mode, the camcorder consumes only about 1/3 the power used when recording, saving energy when you are using the battery pack. When you open the LCD panel, the camcorder is ready to start recording in approximately 1 second, allowing you to immediately record your subject.
HDMI Output: The HF R42 features a mini-HDMI (Type C) terminal that offers a high-quality digital connection that combines audio and video in a single convenient cable. The HDMI port is compatible with HDMI-CEC (Consumer Electronics Control), allowing you in many cases to control the camcorder with the remote control of the connected TV.
Note: An HTC-100 HDMI cable is included with the camcorder.
AV Output: The camcorder features an AV output to playback audio and video on your television using the optional STV-250N composite video/stereo audio RCA cable. You can select between a 4:3 aspect ratio or a 16:9 aspect ratio for the video out based on your television's aspect ratio. The AV Output also doubles as a headphone output. The built-in speaker will be muted when headphones or the AV cable are plugged in.
USB 2.0 Connection: The camcorder features a USB 2.0 High Speed terminal for fast transfer of photos and videos.
Microphone Input: In addition to the camcorder's built-in microphone, the HF R42 features a 3.5mm microphone input for connecting an external microphone, such as the optional WM-V1 Wireless Microphone.
Included Software: The Canon HF R42 camcorder comes supplied with a VIXIA CD-ROM disc that includes the following applications:
- Image Browser EX: Used for saving MP4 movies and photos to your computer and organize them. (compatible with Windows and Mac OS)
- Music Data: Music files that can be used as background music during playback.
- Image Mix Data: Image files that can be used to mix with live video for the image mix function
- Full Instruction Manual
Transfer Utility LE: This software is needed to save AVCHD movies. It is not included with the camcorder, but can be downloaded from the Pixela website. It is compatible with Windows OS only.
Picture Transfer Protocol: The camcorder is equipped with the standard Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP), which allows you to transfer JPEG photos by simply connecting the camcorder to a computer via the supplied USB cable. No software is needed.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
1 question already asked
Yes it works,I have the Dolica AX620B100 62-Inch Proline Tripod and Ball Head. Works well together.Good luck- [ MARTIN Dec 16, 2013 ]
Yes we use our original tripod [ DIANA F Dec 16, 2013 ]