Canon EOS M50 Kit
24.1-megapixel mirrorless camera with 15-45mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM zoom lens, Wi-Fi®, and Bluetooth® (White)
Item # 280M5045W | MFR # 2681C011
Instant Savings: -$200.00
$699.00 Earn up to 699 Rewards points
Offers & Financing
Our take on the Canon EOS M50 Kit by Crutchfield's Deia Z.
Travel light and be ready for anything
The Canon EOS M50 is compact enough to go with you anywhere, but it's packed with features you'd find in some of Canon's latest full-size EOS DSLRs. A 24.2-megapixel image sensor combines with Canon's latest DIGIC 8 processor to give you outstanding EOS performance and image quality in a lightweight, travel-friendly package.
Keep up with the action
The M50 is equipped with the latest generation of Canon's fast, smooth Dual Pixel CMOS autofocus system. Canon tweaked it so you now get 99-143 selectable autofocus points, depending on which lens you use — a big improvement over the previous 49-point system.
Dual Pixel CMOS autofocus excels in challenging light, and it accurately tracks moving subjects. The M50 can capture sharply focused action sequences at a rate of up to 10 frames per second. HD movie focus is natural and precise, even when switching between subjects.
Note: Dual Pixel CMOS autofocus is not available during 4K video recording.
Intuitive framing and focusing
The M50 has a high-resolution electronic viewfinder and a 3" LCD touchscreen for easy, intuitive shooting. The touchscreen flips out and rotates freely to help you compose shots from high or low angles. It even turns all the way forward to face you so you can frame the perfect self-portrait and be included in group shots. Use the touchscreen to change settings, define autofocus points, and trigger the shutter.
Touch and Drag autofocus makes it easy to switch focus by dragging the AF frame on the LCD screen. And you can even do it while looking through the viewfinder.
An agile moviemaker
The M50 records 4K and Full HD movies in MP4 format for easy sharing. Touch-activated autofocus and manual controls make it easy to adjust settings on the fly. An external microphone jack lets you connect an outboard mic for superb sound quality. Digital Image Stabilization minimizes the effects of camera shake, so you can capture video on foot and get results that won't make you seasick.
A lens you can use every day
The included 15-45mm lens combines with the M50 for a compact system that can go with you anywhere. Built-in image stabilization helps you capture blur-free photos and shake-free videos, while specialized lens elements contribute to high-resolution image quality. Use it for portraits and documenting daily life — it's an excellent all-around lens.
Wireless convenience and control
The M50's built-in Wi-Fi lets you upload and share photos and videos in a matter of moments. You can exchange data with other Canon cameras, play back images and movies on a Smart TV, and print directly to a Wi-Fi printer.
Canon's free Camera Connect app lets you manage photos and videos taken with the M50 on your phone or tablet. Use your device to see what the camera sees, change settings, and trigger the shutter remotely.
- 24.1-megapixel effective recording
- APS-C-size CMOS image sensor (22.3 x 14.9 mm)
- includes EF-M 15-45mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM lens (35mm equivalent focal length 24-72mm)
- compatible with Canon EF-M mount lenses
- compatible with all Canon EF and EF-S lenses when used with optional EF-EOS M Mount adapter
- Dual Pixel CMOS autofocus system for fast, accurate focusing
- AF tracking locks focus for sharp captures of moving subjects
- new DIGIC 8 image processor with improved auto lighting optimizer for speedy operation and reduced noise at high ISO settings
- face detection autofocus for sharp candids and portraits
- built-in Wi-Fi and NFC touch pairing for easy sharing and control from smart devices
- Bluetooth provides a constant connection to your compatible device with Canon Connect app
- 3" high-resolution (1.04-million-dot) rotating LCD touchscreen with brightness control
- bright 2.36-million-dot OLED electronic viewfinder with touch and drag autofocus
- self-cleaning sensor activates when the camera powers on or off to remove dust for spot-free images
- silent mode for quiet operation
- includes rechargeable LP-E12 lithium ion battery, battery charger, and neck strap
Exposure Modes and Controls:
- continuous shooting mode: up to 10 frames per second
- shutter speed range: 30-1/4,000 seconds
- sensitivity or ISO (film speed equivalent) range: 100-25,600, expandable to 51,200 equivalent
- program auto, shutter-priority, aperture-priority, manual, and fully automatic exposure modes
- flash sync at 1/200 seconds or less
File Formats and Storage:
- still image storage modes: JPEG, RAW, and RAW+JPEG
- top JPEG resolution (pixels): 6,000 x 4,000
- AVC/H.264 movies with stereo sound
- shoots video in up to 4K resolution
- introduces an additional 1.6X crop factor (2.56X total with attached lenses)
- Dual Pixel CMOS autofocus is not available during 4K shooting
- shoots Full HD video at 1920 x 1080 resolution
- HD 120p high-speed video mode for slow motion video
- records photos and video onto optional SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards
Connections and Dimensions:
- high-speed USB 2.0 interface (cable not included)
- mini HDMI output (cable not included)
- 3.5mm external stereo microphone input jack (microphone not included)
- 4-5/8"W x 3-1/2"H x 2-5/16"D
- weight (with memory card and battery): 13.7 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Digital camera body (white)
- R-F-4 body cap (installed)
- Hot shoe cap (installed)
- LP-E12 Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (7.2V 875mAh 6.3Wh) with plastic terminal cap
- LC-E12 battery charger (DC output: 8.4V 0.54A)
- EM-200DB Neck strap
- EF-M 15-45mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM zoom lens (silver)
- E-49 lens cap (installed)
- EB rear lens dust cap (installed)
- User Manual
- Canon Limited Warranty registration card
- Online registration card
Why Shop With Us?10 Reasons.
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size||3.0"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||24-72mm|
|Image Stabilization||With included lens|
|Highest Resolution||6000 x 4000|
|Video Resolution||3840 x 2160|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||13.7|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: This Canon EOS M50 kit includes the EOS M50 camera body, and the EF-M 15-45mm IS STM zoom lens. The camera has the Canon M mount, and is compatible with Canon EF-M lenses. With the optional Mount Adapter EF-EOS M, the EOS M50 camera is also compatible with the full line of Canon EF and EF-S lenses.
3" Touch Panel LCD Monitor: The EOS M50 features a 3" Touch Panel LCD monitor, with a 3:2 aspect ratio and approximately 1.04-million dots for composing and viewing images. The fully articulating LCD monitor can swing out 180°, and rotate 180° backward or 90° forward. This makes it easier to frame low-angle or high-angle shots or take self-portraits. The Touch Shutter feature lets you take photos by touching the screen and releasing your finger to shoot.
24.1 Megapixel CMOS Sensor: Canon's CMOS (Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor) sensor captures images with exceptional clarity and tonal range, and offers approximately 25.8 megapixels and 24.1 megapixels. This APS-C-sized sensor (22.3mm x 14.9mm) has the same 3:2 ratio as film cameras, enabling an effective 1.6x field of view, compared to 35mm format. The camera has an image sensor cleaning function that automatically removes dust when the power is turned on or off. The cleaning function can be activated manually as well.
DIGIC 8: The EOS M50 features Canon's new DIGIC 8 Image Processor to complement the 24.1 Megapixel image sensor. The DIGIC 8 helps improve autofocus, and enables you to shoot 4K UHD 24p video. The DIGIC 8 also has an improved Auto Lighting Optimizer to analyze the images and maintain color and detail in bright areas of your photos.
Still Image Recording: The camera records still images in JPEG and RAW formats. You can choose from the following image sizes: Large, Medium, Small 1, and Small 2. For each resolution (except Small 2), you can set the compression to Fine or Normal. For RAW images, you can record only at the highest resolution. For RAW images with smaller file sizes, you can also shoot in C-RAW format. You can set the camera to RAW + JPEG and record a RAW image and a Large Fine JPEG image simultaneously.
Aspect Ratio: The camera image sensor has an aspect ratio of 3:2. You can choose to record still images in 3:2, 4:3, 16:9, and 1:1 aspect ratios. This gives you the option of selecting any of the following image sizes:
|Quality||Aspect Ratio and Pixel Count|
(JPEG / RAW / C-RAW)
|6000 x 4000||5328 x 4000||6000 x 3368||4000 x 4000|
|Medium||3984 x 2656||3552 x 2664||3984 x 2240||2656 x 2656|
|Small 1||2976 x 1984||2656 x 1992||2976 x 1680||1984 x 1984|
|Small 2||2400 x 1600||2112 x 1600||2400 x 1344||1600 x 1600|
RAW File Format: The RAW file format records the image data as captured by the camera's CMOS sensor without further processing and converts it to digital data and records it onto the card as is. RAW images can be adjusted, then developed and produced into JPEG or TIFF images using the downloadable software.
Recording Media: The EOS M50 records images on an SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards, including UHS-I (Ultra High Speed) memory cards. For 4K recording, memory cards with a UHS-I speed class rating of U3 are recommended. No memory cards are supplied with the camera.
Dual Pixel CMOS Autofocus: The M50 features Dual Pixel CMOS AF to give you fast and accurate auto focusing in an instant. When used with the included EF-M 15-45mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM lens the autofocus area includes up to 99 AF points within an 80% x 80% range. This can be expanded up to 143 AF points in an area of approximately 88% (H) x 100% (V) with select compatible lenses (including the optional EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM).
Eye Detection AF: The new Eye Detection AF automatically determines where to focus based on the subject's eyes. This
Shooting Modes: The EOS M50's top-mounted mode dial lets you choose the shooting modes. The M50 can record still images and movies in the following modes:
- Scene Intelligent Auto: This mode provides optimal settings for specific scenes automatically. The camera analyzes the scene and applies the settings.
- Hybrid Auto: In the Hybrid Auto mode, the camera records 2-4 second clips of scenes before each shot which are later combined into a digest movie.
- Special Scene: In the Scene mode, you can select a setting that matches the shooting scene, and the camera automatically configures the settings. Available scenes include: Self-Portrait, Smooth Skin, Sports, Close-up, Food, Panning, Handheld Night Scene, HDR Backlight Control, and Silent Mode.
- Creative Filters: The Creative Filters mode lets you add effects to your images while you shoot. You can choose from Soft Focus, Fish-Eye Effect, Oil Painting Effect, Watercolor Effect, Toy Camera Effect, Miniature Effect, and HDR (Art Standard, Art Vivid, Art Bold, Art Embossed).
- Program AE: This is a general-purpose shooting mode, the camera automatically sets the shutter speed and aperture value to suit the scene's brightness.
- Shutter-priority AE: In this mode, you set the shutter speed and the camera automatically sets the aperture value to suit the brightness of the subject.
- Aperture-priority AE: In this mode, you set the desired aperture value and the camera sets the shutter speed automatically to suit the subject brightness.
- Manual Exposure: You set both the shutter speed and aperture value as desired.
- Movies: Movie mode lets you shoot High Definition and Standard Definition videos 4K, Full HD, or HD. You can use the mode switch or the dedicated recording button to begin recording movies.
Shooting Movies: The EOS M50 can record movies in 4K, Full HD, or HD at different frame rates. Movies are recorded in MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 format with AAC audio. You can record audio using the built-in stereo microphone. When shooting movies, a large-capacity SD card with a speed rating of Class 4 or higher is recommended. For 4K recording, you should use cards with a speed rating of Class 10 and UHS-I U3. You can select from the following recording sizes and frame rates:
|Movie Recording Size||Bit Rate||Total Recording Time|
3840 x 2160
|23.98 fps||120 Mbps||29 min 59 sec|
|Full HD: |
1920 x 1080
|59.94 fps||60 Mbps||29 min 59 sec|
|29.97 fps |
|30 Mbps||29 min 59 sec|
1280 x 720
|119.9 fps |
|52 Mbps||7 min 29 sec|
|26 Mbps||29 min 59 sec|
Manual Focusing: If you choose to focus manually with an EF-M lens, you will need to switch to Manual Focus in the menu then turn the focusing ring on the lens. If using an EF or EF-S lens (with the EF-EOS-M adapter), you will need to set the focus mode switch on the lens from AF to MF, and turn the lens focusing ring until the subject looks sharp. You can magnify the image 5x or 10x for better visibility when focusing.
ISO Speed: ISO speed can be automatically or manually set between 100 and 25600 (in 1/3-stop increments) to suit the shooting conditions. You can expand the ISO speed to 51200.
White Balance: You can choose from the following white balance settings: Auto (Ambience priority, White priority), Day Light, Shade, Cloudy, Tungsten Light, White Fluorescent Light, Flash, Color Temperature, and Custom.
Picture Style: By selecting a picture style you can achieve various effects matching your photographic expression or the subject. Picture Style selections include: Auto, Standard, Portrait, Landscape, Fine Detail, Neutral, Faithful, Monochrome, and User Defined. Customized Picture Styles let you adjust the sharpness (strength, fineness, threshold), contrast, saturation, color tone, filter effect, and toning effect.
Exposure Compensation: Exposure compensation is used to alter the camera's standard exposure setting. You can make the image look lighter (increased exposure) or darker (decreased exposure). The exposure compensation amount can be set up to +/-3 EV in 1/3-stop increments.
Metering Modes: You can select from the following metering modes:
- Evaluative Metering: The camera's standard metering mode utilizes all 384 zones within the frame, and is suited for most subjects even under backlit conditions. After detecting the main subject's position, brightness, background, front and back lighting conditions, etc, the camera sets the proper exposure.
- Partial Metering: Effective when the background is much brighter than the subject due to backlighting, etc; uses approximately 6.4% of the frame at the center.
- Spot Metering: For metering a specific part of the subject; uses approximately 2.8% of the frame at the center.
- Center-weighted Average Metering: Metering is weighted at the center and then averaged for the entire scene.
Continuous Shooting Mode: In Continuous Shooting mode, you can shoot up multiple images consecutively as long as you hold the shutter release button down. The number of shots and the shooting speed depends upon the settings:
|AF Type||Speed Setting||Frames per second||Format||Maximum Number of Shots per burst|
|One-Shot AF||High-speed||10.0 fps||JPEG||33|
|Servo AF||High-speed||7.4 fps||JPEG||47|
Self-Timer: The camera will record an image following a preset time delay after pressing the shutter release. The self-timer lamp and beeper will indicate a countdown before the picture is taken. You can choose from the following self-timer modes:
- 10 Second: The camera takes a single image 10 seconds after pressing the shutter release button.
- 2 Second: The camera takes a single image 2 seconds after pressing the shutter release. This is handy for reducing camera shake.
- Continuous: You can specify the number of shots, between 2 and 10.
Auto Rotation: Vertical shots can be rotated automatically so that they are displayed upright during playback. The Auto Rotation feature can be set to On (computer), On (computer and camera), or turned off, if desired.
Image Review: The image can be displayed on the LCD monitor immediately after you shoot. The review time can be set to off (not displayed), 2 seconds, 4 seconds, 8 seconds, or Hold, which keeps the image displayed on the LCD monitor until the camera is focused again.
Slide Show: You can view all images on the memory card one after another with the Auto Playback function (slide show). You can set the time each image is displayed on the LCD monitor to 1, 2, 3, 5, 10, or 20 seconds. You can also select which images to display: all images, images by date, images by folder, movies only, stills only, or by rating.
Index Display: This feature allows you to view 4 (2x2), 9 (3x3), 36 (6x6), and 100 (10x10) images at once on the LCD monitor so that you can search for an image quickly.
Image Magnification: When viewing a still picture in single image playback mode, you can magnify the image from 1.5x to 10.0x. While the image is magnified, you can scroll anywhere around the image.
Rotating Images: You can rotate an image by 90° or 270° clockwise in the LCD monitor.
PictBridge Printing: Using a USB cable (Type A-to-Micro-B 2.0, not supplied), you can connect this camera directly to a PictBridge compliant printer. PictBridge is a standard that allows you to connect a PictBridge compliant camera directly to a PictBridge compliant printer and make prints, regardless of brand.
DPOF Print Settings: On the memory card, you can select which image or images you want to print and how many copies you want. This is convenient for printing images all at once, on optional Canon direct print function compliant printers, on PictBridge compliant printers, or at participating photo labs.
Wi-Fi Overview: Built-in Wi-Fi allows you to send images wirelessly from the camera to a variety of compatible devices, and operate the camera remotely from your smartphone. The camera supports IEEE 802.11b/g/n, and has a range of 49'.
NFC-Compatible: The EOS M50 is compatible with NFC-compatible Android smartphones (version 4.0 or later), which allows you to connect by touching the phone to the N-Mark on the bottom of the camera.
Compatible Devices: You can connect the camera to the following devices and services via Wi-Fi:
- Smartphones and Tablets: Using the Canon Camera Connect app you can transfer photos and videos to your mobile device, and use the device to control the camera. The app is available for iPhone/iPad/iPod touch running iOS 9.0 or later, and Android devices (varies with device).
- Other Cameras: You can send images from the EOS M50 to another Wi-Fi-connected Canon camera, or vice versa.
- Wireless Printing: You can print images wirelessly on a Wi-Fi-connected printer. You can use an existing access point, or use the camera as an access point.
- Canon Connect Station: You can connect directly to the Canon Connect Station CS100 and transfer photos and videos to the built-in 1 TB of storage.
- Canon iMAGE Gateway: With a one-time registration to the Canon iMAGE Gateway, you can send photos and videos to the web service from your PC or smartphone.
- EOS Utility: The camera supports EOS Utility, allowing remote Live View shooting, precise focusing, and easy setting changes right from your computer.
Bluetooth: You can pair the camera to a compatible smartphone or tablet via Bluetooth using the Camera Connect app. You can also use Bluetooth to pair to the optional BR-E1 Wireless Remote Control. When connected via Bluetooth, the camera receives continuously updated GPS location data so you can geotag your images and movies.
HDMI Outputs: The camera is equipped with a micro-HDMI jack (Type D) which allows you to connect the camera to an HDTV. A micro-HDMI-to-HDMI cable is required.
Microphone: The camera has a stereo 3.5mm microphone input on the side that is compatible with external microphones such as the Canon DM-E1. An external microphone can record better quality audio for your movies than the built-in microphone. Any sounds of lens or camera operations picked up by the built-in mic will be quieter with an external mic.
USB Port: The Micro-B 2.0 USB port allows you to connect the camera to your computer via an optional USB cable for downloading the recorded images and movies.
Battery: The EOS M50 operates on the supplied LP-E12 Lithium-Ion battery (7.2V/875 mAh). Battery performance decreases when used in temperatures below 32° F. The battery can be charged in the supplied LC-E12 battery charger in approximately 2 hours. Typical battery life for the LP-E12 battery is as follows (using EF-M 15-45mm lens):
- Still Images:
- Normal Mode: Approx. 235 shots
- Eco Mode: Approx. 370 shots
- Movie Shooting:
- Typical Use: Approx. 85 min.
- Continuous Shooting: Approx. 130 min.
- Playback Time (slide show): Approx. 4 hours
Power Saving: You can save battery power by activating the Display Off and Auto Power Down features. After a pre-selected period of time (10 sec, 20 sec, 30 sec, 1 min, 2 min, 3 min), the display will automatically turn itself off if no buttons are pressed. After approximately 2 additional minutes (5 minutes in playback mode), the camera will automatically power down.
Optional AC Power: With the optional CA-PS700 Compact Power Adapter and the DR-E12 DC coupler, you can connect the camera to household power without worry of the battery becoming exhausted.
Lens: This EOS M50 kit comes with the EF-M 15-45mm IS STM wide angle zoom lens. IS stands for Image Stabilizer, while STM stands for Stepping Motor.
Image Stabilizer: The Image Stabilizer system built into these lenses provides up to four equivalent stops of shake correction, giving you much sharper photos at full zoom, and blur-free videos.
Auto/Manual Focus Modes: When using an EF-M lens, the focus mode must be set in the camera menu. After setting the mode to Manual Focus, you can focus on your subject by turning the focusing ring.
|EF-M 15-45 IS STM|
|Lens Construction||10 elements in 9 groups|
|Angle of View||Diagonal: |
|84°30'- 33°40' |
|Maximum Magnification||0.25x (at 45mm)|
|Minimum Focusing Distance||0.82' (9.84")|
|Filter Diameter||49mm (E-49)|
|Hood||EW-53 (sold separately)|
|Dimensions||Diameter: 2.389" |
Length: 2.037" (2.533" w/caps)
Software: The following software is available for download from the Canon website for use with the EOS M50:
- Digital Photo Professional (Windows/Mac): primarily used for browsing, selecting, and developing RAW images. It has various image adjustment functions in the Picture Style format, and allows you to make adjustments easily. Available for Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 7, Mac OS X Yosemite v10.10, El Capitan v.10.11, macOS v10.12 Sierra and macOS High Sierra v10.13.
- EOS Utility (Windows/Mac): for communication between your computer and the camera, allowing you to download images saved in the camera's memory card. You can also change camera settings and shoot remotely from your computer. Available for Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 7, Mac OS X Yosemite v10.10, El Capitan v.10.11, macOS Sierra v10.12, and macOS High Sierra v10.13.
- Picture Style Editor (Windows/Mac): allows you to edit Picture Styles to your unique image characteristics and save them as original Picture Style files. Available for Windows 8.1, Windows 7, Mac OS X Yosemite v10.10, El Capitan v.10.11, macOS Sierra v10.12, and macOS High Sierra v10.13.
- Map Utility: a software application that displays geotagged images taken on the camera on a map. Available for Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 7 (SP1), Mac OS X Yosemite v10.10, El Capitan v.10.11, macOS Sierra v10.12, and macOS High Sierra v10.13.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Frequently Compared With
Canon EOS M50 Kit
24.1-megapixel mirrorless camera with 15-45mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM zoom lens, Wi-Fi®, and Bluetooth®$699.00$200.00 Instant Savings$899.00
Sony a6000 Kit
24-megapixel mirrorless camera with 16-50mm lens
Sony a6300 Kit
24.2-megapixel APS-C sensor mirrorless camera with built-in Wi-Fi® and 16-50mm lens
Fujifilm X-T20 Kit
24.3-megapixel APS-C sensor mirrorless camera with 18-55mm f/2.8-4 R LM OIS zoom lens and Wi-Fi®