Canon EOS M5 Telephoto Lens Kit
24.2-megapixel mirrorless camera with 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM lens and Wi-Fi®
Item # 280M518150 | MFR # 1279C021
Instant Savings: -$330.00
$1,149.00 Earn up to 1,149 Rewards points
Offers & Financing
Our take on the Canon EOS M5 Telephoto Lens Kit by Crutchfield's Deia Z.
The EOS M5's convenient, customizable dials put manual control at your fingertips (15-45mm lens not included).
Compact, powerful, and fast
The Canon EOS M5 is small enough to take anywhere, but it's packed with features you'll find in some of Canon's latest full-size EOS DSLRs. You'll get outstanding image quality thanks to its 24.2-megapixel image sensor, and speedy operation with its powerful DIGIC 7 processor. This is great camera to learn on, plus it has all the features an experienced photographer needs.
Keep up with the action
The EOS M5's Dual Pixel CMOS autofocus system is fast and smooth. Movie focus is natural and precise, even when switching between subjects. This 49-point system excels in challenging light, and accurately tracks fast-moving subjects even when they change speed and position. The M5 is capable of high-speed continuous shooting at up to seven frames per second, so you can capture sharply focused fast-action sequences.
Intuitive framing and focusing
The M5 sports a high-resolution electronic viewfinder and a large 3.2" tilting LCD touchscreen for easy, intuitive shooting. The touchscreen tilts upward or downward to help you compose shots from high or low angles. It even turns all the way forward to face you so you can frame the perfect self-portrait and be included in group shots. Use the touchscreen to change settings, define autofocus points, and trigger the shutter. Touch and Drag autofocus makes it easy to switch focus by dragging the AF frame on the LCD screen. And you can even do it while looking through the viewfinder.
An all-purpose zoom lens
The included 18-150mm lens is a great complement to the M5. The lens's built-in Image Stabilization helps you capture blur-free photos and shake-free videos in nearly any kind of light, while specialized lens elements reduce aberrations for high-resolution image quality. Its versatile focal range makes it excellent for everything from landscapes to tight close-ups. And it's light enough to go with you anywhere.
An agile moviemaker
The EOS M5 records Full HD movies in MP4 format for easy sharing. Touch-activated autofocus and manual controls make it easy to adjust settings on the fly. An external microphone jack lets you connect an outboard mic for superb sound quality. The included 15-45mm STM (stepping motor) lens gives you near-silent autofocus during shooting. Five-axis digital image stabilization minimizes camera shake, so you can capture video on foot and get results that won't make you seasick. The kit lens's on-board image stabilization lets you max out the effects of the camera's digital image stabilization.
Wireless connectivity for added versatility and convenience
The M5's Wi-Fi lets you upload and share photos and videos in a matter of moments. But the benefits of this camera's wireless connectivity don't stop there. You can exchange data with other Canon cameras, play back images and movies on a smart TV, and print directly to a Wi-Fi printer. Canon's free Camera Connect app lets you manage photos and videos taken with the M5 on your phone or tablet. And your device becomes an extension of the camera's touchscreen, letting you select focus points and trigger the shutter with just a quick touch.
- 24.2-megapixel effective recording
- includes EF-M 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM lens (35mm equivalent focal length 28.8-240mm)
- APS-C-size CMOS image sensor (22.3 x 14.9 mm)
- compatible with Canon EF-M mount lenses
- compatible with all Canon EF and EF-S lenses when used with optional EF-EOS M Mount adapter
- built-in Wi-Fi and NFC touch pairing for easy sharing and control from smart devices
- Bluetooth® low energy provides a constant connection to your compatible device with Canon Connect app
- 3.2", 1.62-million-dot tilting LCD touchscreen with brightness control
- tilts up to 85 degrees upward or 180 degrees downward for creative composition at high or low angles
- 2.36-million-dot electronic viewfinder
- self-cleaning sensor activates when the camera powers on or off to remove dust for spot-free images
- 49-point Dual Pixel CMOS autofocus system for fast, accurate focusing
- AF tracking locks focus for sharp captures of moving subjects
- new DIGIC 7 image processor with improved AF tracking allows speedy operation and reduces noise at high ISO settings
- face detection autofocus for sharp candids and portraits
- stills can be recorded while simultaneously shooting video
Exposure Modes and Controls:
- continuous shooting mode: up to 7 frames per second (up to 9 frames per second with AF Lock)
- shutter speed range: 30-1/4,000 seconds, bulb
- sensitivity or ISO (film speed equivalent) range: 100-6,400, expandable to 25,600 equivalent
- program auto, shutter-priority, aperture-priority, manual, and fully automatic exposure modes
- flash sync at 1/200 seconds or less
File Formats and Storage:
- still image storage modes: JPEG, RAW, and RAW+JPEG
- top JPEG resolution (pixels): 6,000 x 4,000
- AVC/H 2.64 HD movies with stereo sound
- shoots HD video up to 1920 x 1080 resolution
- records photos and video onto optional SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards
Connections and Dimensions:
- high-speed USB 2.0 interface
- mini HDMI output (cable not included)
- 4-3/8"W x 2-11/16"H x 1-3/4"D (without lens)
- weight (with memory card and battery): 12.9 oz.
- USB cable
- rechargeable LP-E17 lithium ion battery
- battery charger
- neck strap
- body cap
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- EOS M5 camera body (black)
- Body cap R-F-4 (installed)
- Hot shoe cover (installed)
- EF-M 18-150mm IS STM zoom lens (black)
- E-55 Front lens cap (installed)
- EB Rear lens cap (installed)
- LP-E17 Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (7.2V 1040mAh 7.5Wh) with plastic terminal cover
- LC-E17 Battery charger (DC output: 8.4V 0.7A)
- EM-300DB Neck strap
- 40" IFC-600PCU USB cable (Type A USB on one end and Micro-B USB on other end)
- Getting Started manual
- Warranty card
- Online registration card
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size||3.2"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||29-240mm|
|Highest Resolution||6000 x 4000|
|Video Resolution||1920 x 1080|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||15.1|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: This Canon EOS M5 kit includes the EOS M5 camera body, and the EF-M 18-150mm IS STM zoom lens. The camera has the Canon M mount, and is compatible with Canon EF-M lenses. With the optional Mount Adapter EF-EOS M, the EOS M5 camera is also compatible with the full line of Canon EF and EF-S lenses.
3.2" Touch Panel LCD Monitor: The EOS M5 features a 3.2" Touch Panel LCD monitor, with a 3:2 aspect ratio and approximately 1.62-million dots for composing and viewing images. The LCD monitor can tilt upwards to 85°, which makes it easier to frame low-angle shots, and tilt downwards to approximately 180° for easier overhead shots, or for framing self-portraits. The Touch Shutter feature lets you take photos by touching the screen to shoot.
0.39" Electronic Color Viewfinder: In addition to the 3.2" LCD monitor, the M5 has a 0.39" Electronic Color Viewfinder with approximately 2,360,000 dots. A sliding diopter under the viewfinder lets you adjust the focus of the viewfinder to your eyesight. When you move the camera to your eye, a sensor will turn off the LCD monitor. The sensor will also automatically switch back to the LCD monitor when you move the camera away from your face.
24.2 Megapixel CMOS Sensor: Canon's large-area CMOS (Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor) sensor captures images with exceptional clarity and tonal range, and offers approximately 25.8 million total pixels and 24.2 million effective pixels. This APS-C-sized sensor (22.3mm x 14.9mm) has the same 3:2 ratio as film cameras, enabling an effective 1.6x field of view, compared to 35mm format. The camera has an image sensor cleaning function that automatically removes dust when the power is turned on or off. The cleaning function can be activated manually as well.
DIGIC 7: The EOS M5 features Canon's DIGIC 7 Image Processor to complement the 24.2 Megapixel image sensor. The DIGIC 7 helps to keep subjects in focus with enhanced tracking and detection capabilities. The Dual Sensing Image Stabilization system uses data from the image itself to minimize blur caused by camera shake. The DIGIC 7 also lowers noise in low light and high ISO images.
Still Image Recording: The camera records still images in JPEG and RAW formats. You can choose from the following image sizes: Large, Medium, Small 1, and Small 2. For each resolution (except Small 2 and Small 3), you can set the compression to Fine or Normal. You can set the camera to RAW + JPEG and record a RAW image and a JPEG image simultaneously.
Aspect Ratio: The camera image sensor has an aspect ratio of 3:2. You can choose to record still images in 3:2, 16:9, 4:3, and 1:1 aspect ratios. This gives you the option of selecting any of the following image sizes:
|Quality||Aspect Ratio and Pixel Count|
|Large||6000 x 4000||6000 x 3368||5328 x 4000||4000 x 4000|
|Medium||3984 x 2656||3984 x 2240||3552 x 2664||2656 x 2656|
|Small 1||2976 x 1984||2976 x 1680||2656 x 1992||1984 x 1984|
|Small 2||2400 x 1600||2400 x 1344||2112 x 1600||1600 x 1600|
RAW File Format: The RAW file format (CR2, a Canon 14-bit RAW format) records the image data as captured by the camera's CMOS sensor without further processing and converts it to digital data and records it onto the card as is. RAW images can be adjusted, then developed and produced into JPEG or TIFF images using the downloadable Digital Photo Professional or EOS Utility software. RAW images will be identified with the .CR2 file extension.
Recording Media: The EOS M5 records images on an SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards, including UHS-I (Ultra High Speed) memory cards. No recording media is supplied with the camera.
Shooting Modes: The EOS M5's top-mounted mode dial lets you choose the shooting mode:
- Scene Intelligent Auto: This mode provides optimal settings for specific scenes automatically. The camera analyzes the scene and applies the settings.
- Hybrid Auto: In the Hybrid Auto mode, the camera records 2-4 second clips of scenes before each shot which are later combined into a digest movie.
- Creative Assist: The Creative Assist mode guides you through numerous options to make your photos better and more dynamic. You can change the background focus, brightness, contrast, color saturation and tone, and choose from five monochrome tones.
- Special Scene: In the Scene mode, you can select a setting that matches the shooting scene, and the camera automatically configures the settings. Available scenes include: Self-Portrait, Portrait, Landscape, Close-up, Sports, Handheld Night Scene, Food, Panning, and HDR Backlight Control.
- Creative Filters: The Creative Filters mode lets you add effects to your images while you shoot. You can choose from Grainy B/W, Soft Focus, Fish-Eye Effect, Art Bold Effect, Water Painting Effect, Toy Camera Effect, High Dynamic Range, and Miniature Effect.
- Program AE: This is a general-purpose shooting mode, the camera automatically sets the shutter speed and aperture value to suit the scene's brightness.
- Shutter-priority AE: In this mode, you set the shutter speed and the camera automatically sets the aperture value to suit the brightness of the subject.
- Aperture-priority AE: In this mode, you set the desired aperture value and the camera sets the shutter speed automatically to suit the subject brightness.
- Manual Exposure: You set both the shutter speed and aperture value as desired.
- Custom Modes (C1, C2): You can use the C1 and C2 positions on the mode dial to save commonly used shooting modes and your configured function settings. Settings that are usually cleared when you switch shooting modes or turn off the camera are retained.
- Movies: Movie mode lets you shoot High Definition and Standard Definition videos in 16:9 widescreen or 4:3 aspect ratios. You can use the mode switch or the dedicated recording button to begin recording movies.
Shooting Movies: The EOS M5 can record movies in High Definition or Standard Definition at different frame rates. Movies are recorded in MOV format with MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 compression, and AAC audio. You can record audio using the built-in stereo microphone, or an optional external microphone. You can record up to 29 minutes 59 seconds in a single clip. When shooting movies, a large-capacity SD card with a speed rating of Class 4 or higher is recommended. You can select from the following recording sizes and frame rates:
|Resolution||Frame Rate||Recording Bit Rate|
|1920 x 1080||60 fps (59.94 fps)||50 fps||35 Mbps|
|30 fps (29.97 fps)||25 fps||24 Mbps|
|24 fps (23.98 fps)||---|
|1280 x 720||60 fps (59.94 fps)||50 fps||16 Mbps|
|640 x 480||30 fps (29.97 fps)||25 fps||3 Mbps|
Manual Focusing: If you choose to focus manually with an EF-M lens, you will need to switch to Manual Focus in the menu then turn the focusing ring on the lens. If using an EF or EF-S lens (with the EF-EOS-M adapter), you will need to turn the camera off to set the focus mode switch on the lens from AF to MF, turn the camera back on, and turn the lens focusing ring until the subject looks sharp. You can magnify the image 5x or 10x for better visibility when focusing.
ISO Speed: When shooting in Basic Zone modes, ISO speed can be automatically set between ISO 100 and 6400, or manually set between ISO 100 and 12800 (in whole-stop increments) to suit the shooting conditions. When ISO Expansion is enabled, ISO values up to 25600 are possible.
White Balance: You can choose from the following white balance settings: Auto, Day Light, Shade, Cloudy, Tungsten Light, White Fluorescent Light, Flash, Color Temperature, and Custom.
Picture Style: By selecting a picture style you can achieve various effects matching your photographic expression or the subject. Picture Style setting is not available in Basic Zone modes, except Creative Auto. Picture Style selections include: Auto, Standard, Portrait, Landscape, Fine Detail, Neutral, Faithful, Monochrome, and User Defined.
Exposure Compensation: Exposure compensation is used to alter the camera's standard exposure setting. You can make the image look lighter (increased exposure) or darker (decreased exposure). The exposure compensation amount can be set up to +/-3 EV in 1/3-stop increments using the dedicated dial on the top panel.
Flash: The camera has a built-in pop-up flash with three flash modes: Auto, On, and Slow Synchro.
Metering Modes: You can select from the following metering modes:
- Evaluative Metering: The camera's standard metering mode utilizes all of the frame, and is suited for most subjects even under backlit conditions. After detecting the main subject's position, brightness, background, front and back lighting conditions, etc, the camera sets the proper exposure.
- Partial Metering: Effective when the background is much brighter than the subject due to backlighting, etc; uses approximately 10% of the frame at the center.
- Spot Metering: For metering a specific part of the subject; uses approximately 2% of the frame at the center.
- Center-weighted Average Metering: Metering is weighted at the center and then averaged for the entire scene.
Continuous Shooting Mode: In Continuous Shooting mode, you can shoot up to about 9 frames per second. The maximum number of shots in a single burst will vary with the image quality setting: JPEG 23-26 images, RAW 17 images, and RAW+JPEG 16 images.
Self-Timer: The camera will record an image following a preset time delay after pressing the shutter release. The self-timer lamp and beeper will indicate a countdown before the picture is taken. You can choose from the following self-timer modes:
- 10 Second: The camera takes a single image 10 seconds after pressing the shutter release button.
- 2 Second: The camera takes a single image 2 seconds after pressing the shutter release. This is handy for reducing camera shake.
- Custom: You can specify the delay between 0 and 30 seconds, and the number of shots, between 1 and 10.
Auto Rotation: Vertical shots can be rotated automatically so that they are displayed upright during playback. The Auto Rotation feature can be turned off, if desired.
Image Review: The image can be displayed on the LCD monitor immediately after you shoot. The review time can be set to off (not displayed), 2 seconds, 4 seconds, 8 seconds, or Hold, which keeps the image displayed on the LCD monitor until the camera is focused again.
Slide Show: You can view all images on the memory card one after another with the Auto Playback function (slide show). You can set the time each image is displayed on the LCD monitor to 1, 2, 3, 5, 10, or 20 seconds. You can also select which images to display: all images, images by date, images by folder, people, movies only, stills only, or by rating.
Index Display: This feature allows you to view 6, 12, 42, and 110 images at once on the LCD monitor so that you can search for an image quickly.
Image Magnification: When viewing a still picture in single image playback mode, you can magnify the image from 1.5x to 10x. While the image is magnified, you can scroll anywhere around the image.
Rotating Images: You can rotate an image by 90° or 270° clockwise in the LCD monitor.
PictBridge Printing: Using the supplied USB cable, you can connect this camera directly to a PictBridge compliant printer. PictBridge is a standard that allows you to connect a PictBridge compliant camera directly to a PictBridge compliant printer and make prints, regardless of brand.
DPOF Print Settings: On the memory card, you can select which image or images you want to print and how many copies you want. This is convenient for printing images all at once, on optional Canon direct print function compliant printers, on PictBridge compliant printers, or at participating photo labs.
Wireless Overview: Built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth allow you to send images wirelessly from the camera to a variety of compatible devices, and operate the camera remotely from your smartphone. The camera supports IEEE 802.11b/g/n and Bluetooth 4.1 (BLE).
NFC-Compatible: The EOS M5 is compatible with NFC-compatible Android smartphones (version 4.0 or later), which allows you to connect by touching the phone to the N-Mark on the bottom of the camera.
Compatible Devices: You can connect the camera to the following devices and services via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth:
- Smartphones and Tablets: Using the Canon Camera Connect app you can transfer photos and videos to your mobile device, and use the device to control the camera. The app is available for iPhone/iPad/iPod touch running iOS 7.0 or later, and Android devices with OS 4.0 and up.
- Other Cameras: You can send images from the EOS M5 to another Wi-Fi-connected Canon camera, or vice versa.
- Wireless Printing: You can print images wirelessly on a Wi-Fi-connected printer. You can use an existing access point, or use the camera as an access point.
- Canon Connect Station: You can connect directly to the Canon Connect Station CS100 and transfer photos and videos to the built-in 1 TB of storage.
- Canon iMAGE Gateway: With a one-time registration to the Canon iMAGE Gateway, you can send photos and videos to the web service from your PC or smartphone.
- DLNA Media Player: You can view images in your camera on a DLNA-compatible TV, game system, smartphone, or other media player.
HDMI Output: The camera is equipped with a Micro-HDMI jack (Type D) which allows you to connect the camera to an HDTV. A micro-HDMI-to-HDMI cable is required.
USB Port: The USB 2.0 port with a Micro-B USB connector allows you to connect the camera to your computer via the supplied USB cable for downloading the recorded images and movies.
Microphone: The camera has a 3.5mm minijack input for connecting an external microphone, such as the Canon DM-E1 directional microphone.
Battery: The EOS M5 operates on the supplied LP-E17 Lithium-Ion battery (7.2V, 1040 mAh, 7.5Wh). The battery can be charged in the supplied LC-E17 battery charger in approximately 2 hours. Typical battery life for the LP-E17 battery is as follows (using EF-M 15-45mm lens):
- Still Images: Approx. 295 shots; 420 shots in Eco Mode
- Movie Recording: Approx. 85 minutes (Monitor on); 90 minutes (Viewfinder on)
- Playback Time: Approx. 4 hours (slide show mode)
Power Saving: You can save battery power by activating the Display Off and Auto Power Down features. After a pre-selected period of time (10 sec, 20 sec, 30 sec, 1 min, 2 min, 3 min), the display will automatically turn itself off if no buttons are pressed. After approximately 2 additional minutes (5 minutes in playback mode), the camera will automatically power down.
Optional AC Power: With the optional DR-E17 DC Coupler and CA-PS700 AC adapter, you can connect the camera to household power without worry of the battery becoming exhausted.
Lens: This EOS M5 kit comes with the EF-M 18-150mm IS STM lens. IS stands for Image Stabilizer, while STM stands for Stepping Motor.
Image Stabilizer: The Image Stabilizer system built into the lens provides up to four equivalent stops of shake correction, giving you much sharper photos at full zoom, and blur-free videos.
Auto/Manual Focus Modes: When using an EF-M lens, the focus mode can be set in the camera menu or on the lens barrel. After setting the mode to Manual Focus or AF-MF, you can focus on your subject by turning the focusing ring.
|EF-M 18-150mm IS STM|
|Lens Construction||17 elements in 13 groups|
|Angle of View||Diagonal: 74°20'- 10°25' |
|Maximum Magnification||0.10x (at 18mm) |
0.27x (at 50mm)
0.31x (at 150mm)
|Minimum Focusing Distance||0.82' (9.84") at 18mm |
0.82' (9.84") at 50mm
1.48' (17.76") at 150mm
|Filter Diameter||55mm (E-55)|
|Hood||EW-60F (sold separately)|
|Dimensions||Diameter: 2.4" |
Software: The following software is available for download from the Canon website for use with the EOS M5:
- Digital Photo Professional (Windows/Mac): primarily used for browsing, selecting, and developing RAW images. It has various image adjustment functions in the Picture Style format, and allows you to make adjustments easily. Available for Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, Mac OS X 10.9 to 10.11.
- EOS Utility (Windows/Mac): an application for making camera settings, transferring images, and remote shooting. Available for Windows 10 (desktop mode only), Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, Mac OS X 10.9 to 10.11.
- Picture Style Editor (Windows/Mac): allows you to edit Picture Style to your unique image characteristics and save them as original Picture Style files. Available for Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, Mac OS X 10.9 to 10.11.
- Image Transfer Utility (Windows/Mac): for setting up Image Sync, and receive images. Available for Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, Mac OS X 10.9 to 10.11.
- Map Utility (Windows/Mac): allows you to use a map to view GPS information that has been added to images. Available for Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, Mac OS X 10.9.
- Camera User Guide: a full 222-page instruction manual is available for download.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Good comments from users of this camera and also i can use an adapter for my present lens i have for mY Canon DSLR. [ DAVID May 29, 2018 ]
The EOS M5 is Canon's first real contender in the mirrorless segment. [ JOSELITO Apr 29, 2017 ]
Size, features, Canon Repetition.. [ Paul Dec 22, 2016 ]
Frequently Compared With
Canon EOS M5 Telephoto Lens Kit
24.2-megapixel mirrorless camera with 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM lens and Wi-Fi®$1,149.00$330.00 Instant Savings$1,479.00
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II (no lens included)
16-megapixel mirrorless camera with Wi-Fi®
Fujifilm X-E3 Prime Lens Kit
24.3-megapixel APS-C sensor mirrorless camera with 23mm prime lens, Wi-Fi®, and Bluetooth®
Fujifilm X-E3 Kit
24.3-megapixel APS-C sensor mirrorless camera with 18-55mm zoom lens, Wi-Fi®, and Bluetooth®