Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Canon VIXIA Mini Compact Personal Camcorder
Compact video camera with built-in Wi-Fi® and live streaming capability (Black)
Canon VIXIA Mini Compact Personal Camcorder - 3/4 view from front right with LCD touchscreen angled out
Canon VIXIA Mini Compact Personal Camcorder - 3/4 view from rear right with LCD touchscreen angled out
Item # 280MINIK | MFR # 8455B003
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Canon VIXIA Mini Compact Personal Camcorderby Crutchfield's Woody Sherman
The Canon VIXIA Mini compact personal camcorder has its own kickstand for easy and stable placement.
Your life, set to "share"
If it were legitimate to call something a "life-sharing device," then this video camera would almost certainly qualify. Everything about the design of this affordable video camera is made for documenting a life on the go. From the moment you slip it into a shirt pocket, you'll be equipped to clue friends and family in on what you're doing — or, by leaving it on your mantle propped on its built-in kickstand, look in on the family pets while you're away for the day.
Built-in Wi-Fi® just adds to the free-wheeling immediacy this camera allows. Upload your own personal blog observations on the spur of the moment. Share files wirelessly to your computer for future editing. Or post your clips almost anywhere via your Wi-Fi-equipped smartphone or tablet with Canon's free Movie Uploader app.
Touch and go
Operating the Canon VIXIA Mini will feel pretty familiar: simply tap it and swipe on the 2.7-inch touchscreen as you would on a typical tablet or smartphone. Scroll through captured images with a swipe; tap on the menu items you wish to select. The screen can be angled and flipped, so you can have it pointing any way you wish. You can even mount the camera upside down to capture the scenes you need — the camera will invert the shot internally. So you'll be able to suspend the camera from the ceiling if you need to.
It gets the big picture
And you might need to, if you're using this camera to its full potential. The fast "fisheye" f/2.8 lens is designed to gather the full scope of your surroundings and record them in clear, vibrant high-definition. The lens pulls in a panoramic 170° field of view when taking stills, and a 160° FOV while capturing video. Plus, there's a centered, zoomed-in mode, for those times when you need a closer, more traditional view of the world around you.
Storage and Formats:
- records high-definition video and photos onto availablemicroSD memory cards no memory included with this camcorder
- maximum video resolution: 1920 x 1080/30p
- 12.8-megapixel, 1/2.3-inch (7.7mm) CMOS sensor shoots at a full-HD 1920 x 1080 pixels
- built-in Wi-Fi® enables easy streaming, uploading, or remote control from a compatible smart device
- advanced DIGIC DV 4 image processor
- f/2.8 fisheye lens (160° angle of view with movies; 170° with stills)
- camera offers both wide and cropped close-up modes; toggle modes via a touch on the LCD screen
- 2.7" touch-panel widescreen LCD (230K dots) tilts and swivels to give you the right shooting angle
- high-quality built-in microphone combines with audio scene select feature to deliver coherent, clear sound
- built-in stand and tripod socket allows easy hands-free recording
- interval recording allows you to create unique time-lapse shots
- automatic lens cover protects lens from dust, dirt, and scratches
- Smart Auto Mode chooses setting from up to 23 preset scenes
- includes Image Browser EX software
Connections and Dimensions:
- high-speed USB interface (cable included)
- HDMI output (mini terminal, cable not included)
- comes with an AC adapter/charger and rechargeable lithium ion battery
- 3"W x 15/16"H x 3-13/16"D
- weight: 5.6 oz. without battery
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- VIXIA Mini camcorder (black)
- NB-4L Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (3.7V 760mAh 2.9Wh)
- CB-2LV Battery Charger (4.2V 0.65A)
- 50" USB cable (Type A USB on one end and Mini-B USB on other end)
- Wrist strap
- VIXIA mini 1.0 software on CD-ROM
- Getting Started booklet (Eng)
- Getting Started booklet (Span)
- Getting Started booklet (Fren)
- Warranty card
- Register Now online registration card
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size (inches)||2.7|
|Total Pixel Count||12,800,000|
|Effective Pixel Count for Video||8,990,000|
|Optical Zoom||1 x|
|Digital Zoom||1 x|
|Built-in Video Light||No|
|Max Recording Time w/ Included Battery||70 min|
|Digital Still Camera Features|
|Effective Pixel Count for Stills||12,000,000|
|Built-in Photo Flash||No|
|Still Image Aspect Ratios||4:3 (16:9 from movies)|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|USB Port||2.0 High Speed|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||6.3|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Image Sensor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Canon VIXIA Mini Full HD camcorder is a pocket-sized, ultra-thin camcorder with a super-wide angle fisheye lens and a variable angle 2.7" touchscreen LCD. It records high definition MP4 video and high resolution still images onto microSD cards. It is also equipped with Wi-Fi to let you share your videos and pictures almost instantly.
Image Sensor: The VIXIA Mini features a 1/2.3" CMOS image sensor with 12.8 Megapixels. In the Ultra Wide shooting mode, the Mini has 8.99-million effective pixels for movies and 12-million for still photos. In Close-up shooting mode, it has 2.07-million effective pixels for movies and 2.76-million for stills.
DIGIC DV 4: The camcorder's 12.8 Megapixel High-Sensitivity CMOS sensor works together with Canon's DIGIC DV 4 Image Processor to create the Canon HS System. The HS System gives you excellent performance in low light situations and high quality still images with maximum detail and minimal noise.
2.7" Touch Screen LCD: The VIXIA Mini features a top-mounted 2.7" TFT color, capacitive touch screen display (230,000 dots) for composing and reviewing your shots. The articulating LCD can be angled up to approximately 80°, or flipped around to 90°, facing the front of the camcorder for "selfies." The brightness of the LCD screen can be set to Normal or High. The High brightness setting will shorten the battery life.
Lens: The camcorder has a Canon f/2.8 fisheye lens gives your videos and photos a different perspective. A fisheye lens gives you an ultra-wide shooting angle--160° for movies and 170° for still photos. There are two fields of view to choose from: ultra wide and close up. The close up view simply enlarges the center of the screen, and crops out the outer edges. In the close up view, the number of effective megapixels decreases from 8.99 to 2.07 for video and from 12.0 to 2.76 for photos. The camcorder uses a deep focusing system (pan focus) with a range of 1.3' to infinity.
Adjustable Stand: An adjustable stand on the bottom allows the Mini to be placed on a flat surface and angled between 0° and approximately 60°. There is also a standard 1/4" threaded insert on the bottom for mounting the camcorder on a tripod.
Built-in Wi-Fi: The VIXIA Mini is equipped with built-in Wi-Fi technology for wirelessly sharing your HD movies with your friends and family or sending to a PC. You can upload videos virtually anywhere on compatible networks, wireless hotspots, and to your iOS device (ver. 5/6 or later) with the free Canon Movie Uploader app. In addition, you can wirelessly control the camcorder remotely on your smartphone through the CameraAccess application, available for iOS and Android (ver. 2.3/4.0) devices. You can also use a web browser to access the camcorder and play back recordings on your iOS or Android device.
Recording Formats: The camcorder records movies in MPEG-4 format with AAC 2-channel audio, using the built-in stereo microphone. Still photos are recorded in JPEG compression.
Recording Modes: The camcorder offers the following video recording modes:
- 24 Mbps, 17 Mbps: 1920 x 1080, 30p or 24p
- 4 Mbps: 1280 x 720, 30p or 24p
- 3 Mbps: 640 x 360, 30p (x1/4 slow-motion recording only)
Still Image Recording: The VIXIA Mini camcorder can also capture stunning still photos. Photos can be recorded in 4:3 aspect ratio in three sizes: Large (4000 x 3000), Medium (1920 x 1440), and Small (640 x 480). Photos can also be captured from movies at 1920 x 1080 pixels.
Memory Cards: The VIXIA Mini records movies and still images onto microSD, microSDHC, or microSDXC memory cards. No microSD cards are included with the camcorder.
Face Detection: The camcorder can automatically detect people's faces and use this information to adjust the focus and set the best exposure and color control settings for beautiful videos and photos. When there are a number of people in the picture, one person will be determined to be the main subject. You can also select the main subject manually.
Shooting Modes: The VIXIA Mini offers the following shooting modes, selectable in the menu:
- Auto: Easily record movies by letting the camcorder automatically use the best settings for every situation.
- Food and Fashion: Capture food and fashion shots in vibrant colors.
- Sports: Use for fast-moving subjects or scenes with lots of movement.
- Night Scene: Capture the beauty of nightscapes with lower noise.
- Beach: Ideal for subjects surrounded by sunlight reflected off of water.
- Snow: Records brightly-lit subjects surrounded by reflected sunlight without underexposure.
- Macro: Perfect for interesting close-up shots of your subject.
- Programmed AE: The camcorder controls shutter speed and aperture automatically. You can control brightness, white balance, and other settings.
White Balance: The camcorder's white balance system helps you accurately reproduce colors under different lighting conditions so that white objects will always look truly white in your recordings. You can choose from the following modes: Automatic, Daylight, Tungsten, and Custom WB.
Special Playback Modes: The camera uses the following special playback modes: Fast Playback (5x, 15x, or 60x) in either direction, and Slow Playback (1/8x or 1/4x) in either direction. During these playback modes there is no sound.
Lithium-Ion Battery Pack: The Canon VIXIA Mini is powered by the supplied NB-4L rechargeable Lithium-ion battery. The battery recording and playback times are as follows:
|24 Mbps||65 minutes||45 minutes||110 minutes|
|17 Mbps||65 minutes||45 minutes||110 minutes|
|4 Mbps||70 minutes||50 minutes||115 minutes|
Charging Times: The NB-4L battery charges in approximately 1 hour 30 minutes when charging through the camcorder with the supplied CB-2LV battery charger.
Auto Power Off: When powered by the battery, the camcorder automatically powers off after 3 minutes without any operation.
HDMI Output: The VIXIA Mini features a mini-HDMI (Type C) terminal that offers a high-quality digital connection that combines audio and video in a single convenient cable. An HDMI cable, such as the Canon HTC-100, is required to connect the camcorder to your TV.
USB 2.0 Connection: The camcorder features a USB 2.0 Mini-B High Speed terminal for fast transfer of photos and videos. A USB cable is included.
Included Software: The Canon VIXIA Mini camcorder includes the VIXIA CD-ROM application disc which includes ImageBrowser EX and the full Instruction Manual. The software is compatible with the following Operating Systems:
- Windows: Windows 8, Windows 7 (SP1), Windows Vista (SP2), Windows XP (SP3)
- Macintosh: Mac OS X 10.6, 10.7, 10.8
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.