Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Canon VIXIA mini X
Pocket-sized HD camcorder with Wi-Fi®
Item # 280MINIX | MFR # 9114b002
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Canon VIXIA mini Xby Crutchfield's Eric Angevine
The Canon VIXIA mini X is a high definition video camera and a portable viewer in one small package.
High definition, low profile
The Canon VIXIA mini X is a clever re-imagining of the handheld video camera. It offers full 1920 x 1080 high-definition video imaging in a package about the size of your cell phone. That's not particularly unusual in these days of high-tech miniaturization, but when you figure in the convenience of the design, it's easy to see what sets the mini X apart from the crowd. A built-in stand pops out from the bottom of the camera, and the 2.7" capacitive LCD touchscreen tilts up from the top, turning your camera into a handy viewer when you're on the go.
Shoot and share via Wi-Fi
Suppose you've had a very full day. You gave an important presentation at work, chaperoned an afternoon trip to the zoo with the kids, then dropped by your cousin's violin recital that same evening. When you're ready to share your mobile adventures with others, the mini X offers a hard-wired HDMI output for connecting to your television later on, when everyone's in for the evening. If you'd rather upload and share your experiences with distant relatives right away, the mini X has convenient built-in Wi-Fi as well. The free CameraAccess Plus app from Canon makes it easy to share via your mobile device. Use a high-capacity SD card for up to 11 hours of HD recording, and you'll have those memories saved for posterity as well.
The mini X features a built-in large-diameter stereo microphone and 16-bit linear PCM audio processing capable of sampling at an uncompressed rate of 48 kHz.
The camera also features eight Audio Scene Select options that help you adapt to your environment. Use Speech mode to preserve an record of your office presentation for archiving on the company website. Standard mode can handle an indoor event, or you can switch over to Noise Suppression mode if it's a windy day. Music mode provides an expanded soundstage and captures more sonic texture to enliven your trip to the concert hall the same day. Other options include Festival, Forest and Birds, Meeting, and a Custom setting for additional flexibility.
- 2.7" capacitive, tilting touch panel LCD screen
- 12.8-megapixel high-sensitivity CMOS image sensor
- f/2.8 fisheye lens offers a unique and creative perspective
- DIGIC DV 4 Image processor helps provide excellent low-light performance
- shoot in Wide mode, or Close-up mode with image stabilization
- record HD video to removable SD memory card (not included)
- built-in adjustable stand and tripod socket allows flexible positioning
- easily share photos and video through social media
- stream live audio and video to compatible smart devices with free Canon CameraAccess plus app
- use your mobile device as a remote control for the Mini X
- built-in stereo microphone
- 16-bit PCM audio format uses super high-quality sampling rate of 48 kHz
- terminal with manual audio level control for connection of external microphone
- multiple audio scene modes adapt sound recording to your location
- send HD video and stereo audio to external video monitor via HDMI port (cable not included)
- 3-1/4"W x 1-3/16"H x 4-5/16"D
- weight: 8.4 oz.
- warranty: 1 year parts and labor (90 days video head part)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- VIXIA mini X camcorder (black)
- NB-12L Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (3.6V 1910mAh 6.8Wh)
- CA-110 AC adapter with a 68" DC output cord (DC output: 5.3V 1.5A)
- 24" USB cable (Type A USB on one end and Mini-B USB on other end)
- Wrist strap
- Getting Started booklet (Eng)
- Getting Started booklet (Span)
- Getting Started booklet (Fren)
- Transfer Utility LE Startup Guide
- Warranty card
- Register Now online registration card
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size (inches)||2.7|
|Total Pixel Count||12,800,000|
|Effective Pixel Count for Video||8,290,000|
|Built-in Video Light||No|
|Max Recording Time w/ Included Battery||190 min|
|Digital Still Camera Features|
|Effective Pixel Count for Stills||12,000,000|
|Built-in Photo Flash||No|
|Still Image Aspect Ratios||4:3|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|USB Port||2.0 High Speed|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||8.4|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Image Sensor Warranty||90 Days|
Overview: The Canon VIXIA mini X Full HD camcorder is a pocket-sized, ultra-thin camcorder with a super-wide angle fisheye lens and a variable angle 2.7" touchscreen LCD. It records high definition AVCHD and MP4 video, as well as high resolution still images onto microSD cards. It is also equipped with Wi-Fi to let you share your videos and pictures almost instantly.
Image Sensor: The VIXIA mini X features a 1/2.3" CMOS image sensor with 12.8 Megapixels, and the following number of effective pixels:
- Ultra Wide Mode:
- 8,290,000 pixels--AVCHD movies
- 8,990,000 pixels--MP4 movies
- 12,000,000 pixels--photos
- Close Up Mode:
- 1,330,000 pixels--AVCHD movies (Image Stabilizer On)
- 2,070,000 pixels--AVCHD movies (Image Stabilizer Off)
- 2,070,000 pixels--MP4 movies
- 2,760,000 pixels--photos
DIGIC DV 4: The camcorder's 12.8 Megapixel High-Sensitivity CMOS sensor works together with Canon's DIGIC DV 4 Image Processor to create the Canon HS System. The HS System gives you excellent performance in low light situations and high quality still images with maximum detail and minimal noise.
2.7" Touch Screen LCD: The VIXIA mini X features a top-mounted 2.7" TFT color, capacitive touch screen display (230,000 dots) for composing and reviewing your shots. The articulating LCD can be angled up to approximately 80°, or flipped around to 90°, facing the front of the camcorder for "selfies." The brightness of the LCD screen can be set to Normal or High. The High brightness setting will shorten the battery life.
Lens: The camcorder has a Canon f/2.8 fisheye lens gives your videos and photos a different perspective. A fisheye lens gives you an ultra-wide shooting angle--150° for AVCHD movies, 160° for MP4 movies and 170° for still photos. There are two fields of view to choose from: ultra wide and close up. The close up view simply enlarges the center of the screen, and crops out the outer edges. In the close up view, the number of effective megapixels decreases from 8.99 to 2.07 for video and from 12.0 to 2.76 for photos. The camcorder uses a deep focusing system (pan focus) with a range of 1.3' to infinity.
Adjustable Stand: An adjustable stand on the bottom allows the mini X to be placed on a flat surface and angled between 0° and approximately 60°. There is also a standard 1/4" threaded insert on the bottom for mounting the camcorder on a tripod.
Built-in Wi-Fi: The VIXIA mini X is equipped with built-in Wi-Fi technology for wirelessly connecting with smartphones or tablets to upload or play back recordings, or to control the camcorder remotely. Using the free Movie Uploader app, you can save movies and photos to your iPhone or iPad, and upload them to YouTube or Facebook (requires iOS 5.0 or later). In addition, the CameraAccess plus app lets you use your iPhone, iPad, or compatible Android device as a remote control to record with the mini X (requires iOS 5.0 or later, or Android 2.3-4.2).
Optional Pan Table: You can use the mini X for remote surveillance. The optional Canon CT-V1 Camera Pan Table enables vertical tilt and horizontal panning over a 200° sweep. Using the CameraAccess plus app, you can control the horizontal panning action via Wi-Fi. The 200° horizontal pan, coupled with the ultra wide angle lens, provides a nearly complete circular view.
Recording Formats: The camcorder records movies in two formats: AVCHD (with Linear PCM 2ch audio for 24 Mbps quality, or Dolby Digital 2ch) and MPEG-4 format with AAC 2-channel audio, using the built-in stereo microphone. Still photos are recorded in JPEG compression.
Recording Modes: The camcorder offers the following video recording modes:
- 24 Mbps, 17 Mbps: 1920 x 1080, 30p or 24p
- 4 Mbps: 1280 x 720, 30p or 24p
- 3 Mbps: 640 x 360, 30p (x1/4 slow-motion recording only)
Still Image Recording: The VIXIA mini X camcorder can also capture stunning still photos. Photos can be recorded in 4:3 aspect ratio in three sizes: Large (4000 x 3000), Medium (1920 x 1440), and Small (640 x 480). Photos can also be captured from movies at 1920 x 1080 pixels.
Memory Cards: The VIXIA mini X records movies and still images onto SD, SDHC, or SDXC memory cards. No SD cards are included with the camcorder.
Face Detection: The camcorder can automatically detect people's faces and use this information to adjust the focus and set the best exposure and color control settings for beautiful videos and photos. When there are a number of people in the picture, one person will be determined to be the main subject. You can also select the main subject manually.
Shooting Modes: The VIXIA mini X offers the following shooting modes, selectable in the menu:
- Macro: Perfect for interesting close-up shots of your subject.
- Auto: Easily record movies by letting the camcorder automatically use the best settings for every situation.
- Food and Fashion: Capture food and fashion shots in vibrant colors.
- Sports: Use for fast-moving subjects or scenes with lots of movement.
- Night Scene: Capture the beauty of nightscapes with lower noise.
- Beach: Ideal for subjects surrounded by sunlight reflected off of water.
- Snow: Records brightly-lit subjects surrounded by reflected sunlight without underexposure.
- Car: Lets you record inside a vehicle without being underexposed.
- Programmed AE: The camcorder controls shutter speed and aperture automatically. You can control brightness, white balance, and other settings.
White Balance: The camcorder's white balance system helps you accurately reproduce colors under different lighting conditions so that white objects will always look truly white in your recordings. You can choose from the following modes: Automatic, Daylight, Tungsten, and Custom WB.
Interval Recording: When recording MP4 movies, you can set the mini X to record about half a second of video or a photo at fixed intervals from 5 seconds to 10 minutes. The short clips can be combined into a single time-lapse movie. Maximum recording time is 3 hours for 5, 10, or 30-second intervals, 6 hours for 1 minute intervals, or 60 hours for 10 minute intervals. No sound is recorded with interval recordings.
Video Snapshot: A series of short scenes can be recorded, each only a few seconds long, in forming a Video Snapshot. When these short scenes are played back, one after the other, the result is a fast-paced, dynamic video.
Pre-Recording: When recording events, you can set the mini X to pre-record video and audio before you actually press the start/stop button. When you press the start/stop button, the camcorder saves the video beginning three seconds prior. This ensures you don't miss the unpredictable beginning of an event.
Special Playback Modes: The camera uses the following special playback modes: Fast Playback (5x, 15x, or 60x) in either direction, and Slow Playback (1/8x or 1/4x) in either direction. During these playback modes there is no sound.
Lithium-Ion Battery Pack: The Canon VIXIA mini X is powered by the supplied NB-12L rechargeable Lithium-ion battery (3.6V, 1910mAh, 6.8Wh). The battery recording and playback times are as follows:
|AVCHD 24 Mbps||155 minutes||90 minutes||220 minutes|
|AVCHD 17 Mbps||160 minutes||90 minutes||220 minutes|
|MP4 24 Mbps||175 minutes||100 minutes||230 minutes|
|MP4 17 Mbps||175 minutes||100 minutes||225 minutes|
|MP4 4 Mbps||190 minutes||105 minutes||240 minutes|
Charging Times: The NB-12L battery charges in approximately 4 hours in the camcorder when connected with the supplied CA-110 AC power adapter. With the optional CB-2LG battery charger, the battery charges in approximately 3 hours 5 minutes.
Auto Power Off: When powered by the battery, the camcorder automatically powers off after 3 minutes without any operation.
HDMI Output: The VIXIA mini X features a Mini HDMI (Type C) terminal that offers a high-quality digital connection that combines audio and video in a single convenient cable. An Mini HDMI-to-HDMI cable is required to connect the camcorder to your TV.
USB 2.0 Connection: The camcorder features a USB 2.0 mini-B High Speed terminal for fast transfer of photos and videos. A USB cable is included.
Downloadable Software: The Canon VIXIA mini X camcorder includes no software. The following software is available for download from the Canon and Pixela websites (URLs provided in the Operating Manual):
- ImageBrowser EX: Used for saving MP4 movies and photos to your computer and organize them. (compatible with Windows 8, 7, Vista, XP, and Mac OS X v10.6-v10.9)
- Transfer Utility LE: This software is needed to save AVCHD movies. It is not included with the camcorder, but can be downloaded from the Pixela website. (compatible with Windows 8, 7 (SP1), Vista (SP2), and XP (SP3) only)