Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Canon PowerShot N
12-megapixel digital camera with 8X optical zoom and Wi-Fi® (White)
Item # 280PSHOTNW | MFR # 8231B020
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Canon PowerShot N by Crutchfield's David Brown
Not just another pretty face
Don't call the Canon PowerShot N "cute." Sure, its innovative square shape and super-compact design might make the word "cute" form on your lips. But before it slips out, you might want to look under the hood at the powerful processing and features that belie the PowerShot N's adorable appearance. The wide-angle lens zooms optically to 8X, giving you a wide range of shooting options, from large-scale landscapes to tight close-ups with no image degradation. And optical image stabilization ensures crisp, blur-free photos so you can enjoy all the detail and color Canon's DIGIC 5 processor delivers.
Manual zoom and a touchscreen display
Surely a camera this small can't have any manual controls, right? Wrong. The PowerShot N features not one but two manual control rings — one for zooming in and out and one for snapping the shutter. Cool features like Hybrid Auto and Creative Shot can turn snapshots into video montages and unique artistic photos, no effort required from you. And the intuitive touchscreen display tilts up a full 90 degrees, perfect for lining up shots and shooting full HD video from the hip.
Built-in Wi-Fi means easy photo sharing
Want to share pictures wirelessly? You can with the PowerShot N's built-in Wi-Fi. Canon's free CameraWindow app for Apple® and Android™ lets you sync photos with your smartphone instantly via any Wi-Fi network. The Mobile Device Connect button allows for an easy one-touch connection with your smartphone or tablet. Or you can post photos directly to Canon's Image Gateway for sharing with Facebook and Twitter, no computer or smartphone required.
Very nice user friendly point n shoot camera. Good build quality. Easy to use very clean pictures, good in low light environments.
James L., Mobile, Al
What's in the Box:
- Digital camera (white)
- NB-9L Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (3.5V 870mAh 3.1Wh)
- CA-DC30 AC adapter with female Type A USB port (DC output: 5V 0.55A)
- Wrist strap
- PSN-200 Neck Strap
- 50" USB cable with in-line noise filter (cable has a USB Type A connector on one end and a mini-USB Type-B connector on the other)
- DJ-DC1 Camera Jacket (blue)
- Digital Camera Solution Disk Ver 138.0
- Getting Started booklet
- Warranty card
- Canon Customer Support/Online Registration card
- Wireless printing promo
- 12.1-megapixel effective recording
- 8X optical zoom (4X digital zoom, 32X combined zoom)
- records photos and video onto optional microSD, microSDHC, or microSDXC memory cards
- 2.8" tilting touchscreen LCD
- 35mm equivalent lens focal length: 28-224mm
- built-in Wi-Fi for sending photos wirelessly to networked PCs, printers or other Wi-Fi-enabled PowerShot cameras
- share photos wirelessly via email, Facebook, Twitter and other social networking sites with Canon's free CameraWindow app for Apple and Android
- mobile device connect button for instant connection with smartphone or tablet
- high-sensitivity CMOS sensor provides excellent low-light performance up to 6400 ISO
- DIGIC 5 image processor for enhanced detail, faster continuous shooting and powerful creative features
- manual shutter and zoom control rings
- optical image stabilization
- high-definition movie mode (up to 1080p resolution)
- Creative Shot mode creates five other photos from your original photo using built-in effects and editing
- Hybrid Auto mode records short videos prior to snapping still photos and combines them into a single video clip
- ECO mode allows power-saving for getting more shots from your charged battery
- built-in flash
Connections and Dimensions:
- high-speed USB interface
- 3-1/2"W x 2-3/8"H x 1-3/16"D
- weight: 6.88 oz. (with battery and memory card)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- rechargeable lithium ion battery
- battery charger
- USB cable
- neck strap
- software CD-ROM
Canon PowerShot N Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size||2.8"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||28 - 224mm|
|Sensor Size||1/2.3" CMOS|
|Highest Resolution||4000 x 3000|
|Video Resolution||1920 x 1080|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||6.88|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The PowerShot N is a tiny, but powerful new digital camera from Canon. It is just over 3" wide and can easily fit into a pocket or purse. The camera comes with a couple of extra accessories packed in the box: a braided leather neck strap and a camera jacket.
LCD Monitor: The PowerShot N has a 2.8" TFT LCD monitor with Capacitive Touch technology. The monitor can tilt up to 90° for easier framing of low-angle shots. It features 461,000 pixels with approximately 100% picture coverage. The Night Display feature automatically brightens the LCD monitor to suit the brightness of the subject, making it easier to frame the subject in dark conditions.
Dual Rings: The camera features dual rings around the lens that control the zoom and shutter functions. The inner ring (nearest the camera body) rotates to control the zoom action of the lens. The outer ring acts as the shutter release, and can be operated with your finger from above or below.
Image Sensor/Processor: The camera is equipped with a 1/2.3" CMOS image sensor with 12.8-million total pixels, and 12.1-million effective pixels. The PowerShot N uses the latest generation DIGIC 5 processor to give you faster processing speed and higher ISO sensitivity.
Built-in Wi-Fi: The PowerShot N comes with built-in Wi-Fi technology, allowing you to share what you've recorded with friends, family, and the whole world. The camera can wirelessly connect to and send images to the following:
- Smartphone: The camera can connect directly to both iOS (version 5.1, 6.0, 6.1, or later) and Android devices (version 2.3, 4.0, 4.1 or later) via the free Canon CameraWindow app.
- Web Services: You can post your images to your favorite social networking sites throught the Canon Image Gateway, or save them to the online photo album.
- Another Camera: Share your photos with other Wi-Fi equipped PowerShot cameras.
- Computer: Transfer images and video directly to your computer to update friends and family while you're traveling or away from home.
- Printer: You can send images to a PictBridge-compatible printer (supporting DPS over IP) to print them.
Face Detection Technology: The camera's Face Detection Technology finds and tracks the faces of moving subjects until you're ready to shoot, then delivers perfect focus. In addition, exposure, flash, and white balance are compensated, so that faces exhibit natural skin tones and backgrounds are properly exposed. The Face ID feature lets you register a person's face, along with their name and birthday, and the camera will optimize the settings for them when shooting. You can also use Face ID to locate photos containing the person's image. Up to 12 people can be registered with Face ID.
Optics: The PowerShot N has an 8x optical zoom lens with a 5-40mm focal length (35mm equivalent is 28-224mm). It has a maximum aperture of f/3.0 (W) - f/5.9 (T).
Zoom: In addition to the 8x optical zoom, the camera features a 4x digital zoom. When used in combination, the total zoom is approximately 32x. The focal length when using the optical zoom and digital zoom together is approximately 28-896mm.
Recording Media: The camera records still images or movies with monaural audio on microSD Memory Cards (2GB or less), microSDHC Memory Cards (4GB to 32GB), and microSDXC Memory Cards (32GB and higher). The camera does not have internal memory, nor does it include a memory card, so you will be required to obtain one before recording.
Still Image Resolution/Aspect Ratio: The PowerShot N can record still images in JPEG format in 4 sizes and 4 aspect ratios:
|Image Size||Aspect Ratio|
|Large||4000 x 2248||4000 x 2664||4000 x 3000||2992 x 2992|
|Medium 1||2816 x 1584||2816 x 1880||2816 x 2112||2112 x 2112|
|Medium 2||1920 x 1080||1600 x 1064||1600 x 1200||1200 x 1200|
|Small||640 x 360||640 x 424||640 x 480||480 x 480|
Movies: Movies can be recorded in MOV format (Image data: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, Audio data: Linear PCM 2 channel monaural) in High Definition at 1920 x 1080 (24 fps) and 1280 x 720 (30 fps). You can also shoot in Standard Definition at 640 x 480 pixels (30 fps). Recording will automatically stop when either the clip file size reaches 4 GB or the recording time reaches approximately 10 minutes (HD) or 1 hour (SD). SD Speed Class 6 or higher memory cards are recommended for shooting movies.
Continuous Shooting Mode: You can use the continuous shooting mode to shoot successive frames while the shutter ring is fully pressed. You can shoot continuously at approximately 2.3 images per second.
Shooting Range: The camera has a shooting range of 0.4" (1cm) to infinity at maximum wide angle and 3.3' (1m) to infinity at maximum telephoto.
Shooting Modes: You can switch between the following shooting modes: Auto, Hybrid Auto, P (Program), Creative Shot, Fisheye Effect, Miniature Effect, Toy Camera Effect, Soft Focus, Monochrome, and Super Slow Motion Movie.
Metering Modes: You can select from the following metering modes:
- Evaluative Light Metering: used for standard conditions. The area within the frame is divided into several zones and light is measured based on subject position, brightness, direct light and backlighting.
- Center-Weighted Averaging: averages the exposure from the entire image, but places more weight on the subject at the center
- Spot: meters the area within the spot AE point at the center of the LCD monitor or viewfinder
Exposure Compensation: If you are shooting against a bright background or strong backlight, you may need to correct the exposure so that the subject doesn't come out too dark. You can set the adjustments from -2 to +2 in 1/3-step increments.
White Balance: You can choose from the following white balance settings: Auto, Daylight, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, and Fluorescent H.
Flash Modes: The PowerShot N has a built-in flash with a range of 1.6' to 3.0' at maximum Wide Angle. You can select Auto (flash fires in low light), On (flash always fires), Slow Synchro, or Off (flash doesn't fire). In the menu, you can apply Red-Eye Correction to the images that have been taken.
ISO Speed: The ISO speed can be set Automatically (ISO Auto), or manually to ISO 80, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, and 6400. Lowering the ISO speed results in sharper images but there's a greater chance of subject or image blurring in certain shooting conditions. Raising the ISO speed results in a faster shutter speed, reducing blurred images. The images, however, will appear more coarse.
Self-Timer: The PowerShot N utilizes a 10-second and 2-second self-timer to allow the photographer to be included in the shot, or to avoid camera shake when using a tripod.
Slide Show: Images stored on a memory card can automatically be displayed one-by-one using the Slide Show function. Each image is displayed for about three seconds.
Index Display: You can quickly find an image by displaying multiple images in an index on the LCD screen. Using a pinching motion on the capacitive touchscreen monitor, you can pinch outward to view more thumbnails (4 to 100). To reduce the number of thumbnail images, an inward pinching motion is used. You can also use the zoom ring to increase or decrease the number of images displayed.
Magnifying Images: Using the zoom ring or an outward pinching motion, you can magnify a photo from up to 10x. Once zoomed in, you can use a dragging motion with your finger to move around the displayed area. You can also double-tap the screen to increase the magnification by approximately 3x. Another double-tap returns the display to the full-size image.
PictBridge: Using the supplied USB cable, you can connect this camera directly to a PictBridge-compatible printer of any brand. You can also connect the camera directly to certain Canon SELPHY compact photo printers and PIXMA inkjet photo printers. In this way, you can make prints directly from the camera without having to connect to a computer.
Power Requirements: The PowerShot N is powered by the supplied NB-9L Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery pack (3.5V, 870mAh, 3.1Wh). A fully charged battery pack can provide power for up to approximately 200 shots (280 in Eco mode), 35 minutes of movie shooting time, or 4 hours of playback time. The NB-9L is charged in the camera in approximately 3 hours using the supplied CA-DC30 Compact Power Adapter and the supplied USB cable.
Optional AC Adapter Kit: You can power the camera using household AC power by plugging in the optional ACK-DC70 AC adapter Kit. This is helpful when the camera is connected to a printer or computer.
Note: The adapter cannot be used to charge the camera battery.
Power Saving Functions: The camera is equipped with the following power saving functions:
- Eco Mode During Shooting: The screen will darken when the camera is not used for approximately 2 seconds, and will turn off approximately 10 seconds later. After three minutes of inactivity, the camera will turn itself off.
- Auto Power Down: In shooting mode, the screen is automatically deactivated after about one minute of inactivity. In about two more minutes, the lens is retracted and the camera turns itself off. In the playback mode, the camera powers down after approximately 5 minutes of inactivity.
Note: The Power Saving Function will not activate during a Slide-Show or while the camera is connected to a computer.
A/V Out / Digital Terminal: The camera has a Mini-B Version 2.0 USB terminal to allow you to connect the camera to a compatible computer or compatible Canon printer via the supplied optional IFC-400PCU interface cable. This USB 2.0 Hi-Speed-compatible terminal allows you to rapidly download images to your computer or printer.
Included Software: The PowerShot N comes with the Digital Camera Solution Disk (Ver.138.0) in the box. The disk includes the following software:
- ImageBrowser EX 1.1: manage images transferred to a computer (view, edit, and print)
- CameraWindow DC 8.10: transfer images to and from camera, organize images on the camera, and upload movies on the camera to web services
- PhotoStitch 3.1/3.2
- User Guides: Camera User Guide, Software Guide
Compatible Operating Systems: The software is compatible with the following operating systems:
- Windows 8
- Windows 7 (SP1)
- Windows Vista (SP2)
- Windows XP (SP3)
- Mac OS X (v10.6, v10.7, v10.8)
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Product reviews from the Crutchfield Labs
by Zak Billmeier
Canon's PowerShot N digital camera features a fresh new design, with a tilting screen, no traditional shutter button, plus built-in Wi-Fi for easy photo sharing.