Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Canon PowerShot S110
12.1-megapixel digital camera with 5X optical zoom and built-in Wi-Fi® (Black)
Item # 280S110K | MFR # 6351B001
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Canon PowerShot S110 by Crutchfield's David Brown
Go wireless for easy sharing
Great-looking photos are meant to be shared. Canon's PowerShot S110 makes it easier than ever to let friends and family see your pictures, thanks to built-in Wi-Fi. Send photos wirelessly to your PC or Wi-Fi printer, or even share them directly with another Wi-Fi-enabled PowerShot camera. And with Canon's free CameraWindow app for Apple and Android™, you can use your smartphone or tablet to email pictures to friends and family as well as upload them to Facebook or other social networking sites. You can even use CameraWindow in conjunction with your smartphone's GPS to add location tags to your photos.
Manual control over a fast wide-angle lens
Capturing great shots is a snap with the S110's advanced imaging features. Canon's powerful DIGIC 5 processor can optimize your camera's settings based on 58 scenes, so shots are tailored for your shooting conditions. Or if you prefer to assert creative control, the manual control ring lets you adjust focus and exposure the old-fashioned way, so you can take the shot as you envision it. The f/2-5.9 lens is fast enough to capture detailed images in low light, so your indoor and evening shots can be as vibrant as those taken outside in broad daylight. And its wide-angle focal range lets you take sweeping shots of landscapes, city skylines or large groups of friends.
A touchscreen display makes features more intuitive
The S110 features a three-inch touchscreen display, so navigating menus is always simple. You can even use the touchscreen in conjunction with the manual control ring when setting up shots. Just slide your finger across the display to select which feature you want the control ring to adjust, then turn the ring to achieve the desired setting. Scrolling through photos on the display is as easy as a swipe of your finger, while multi-touch functionality lets you pinch-grab photos to zoom in or out.
I have now had this camera for several activities where I have photographed stills and videos with clean and amazing results.
CaryC, Southern California
What's in the Box:
- Digital camera (black)
- NB-5L Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (3.7 V/1120 mAh) with plastic terminal cover
- CB-2LX battery charger
- Wrist strap
- 48" USB cable with in-line noise filter (USB Type A connector on one end and a Mini-USB 2.0 connector on the other)
- Canon Digital Camera Solution Disk Ver.125.0
- Getting Started booklet (Eng/Span)
- Warranty card
- Canon Customer Support/Online Product Registration card
- Connecting to an iPhone through wireless LAN sheet
- Info sheet on Canon printers
- 12.1-megapixel CMOS sensor
- 3" touchscreen LCD display (461,000 dots)
- 5X optical zoom (4X digital/20X total zoom)
- records photos and video onto optional SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards
- 35mm equivalent lens focal length: 24-120mm
- built-in Wi-Fi for sending photos wirelessly to networked PCs, printers or other Wi-Fi-enabled PowerShot cameras
- Canon's free CameraWindow app for Apple and Android lets you:
- share photos via email, Facebook, Twitter and other social networking sites
- use your smartphone's GPS capability to add location information to photos
- high-definition movie mode (up to 1080p resolution) with dedicated movie button
- fast f/2-5.9 lens for sharp images in low light
- manual control ring lets you adjust focus and exposure by hand
- records photos in RAW and JPEG format
- optical image stabilization for blur-free photos
- DIGIC 5 image processor for faster camera response and better image quality
- variable ISO settings, including a high sensitivity setting (ISO 12,800) for better low-light shooting
- high-speed burst mode (10 frames/second)
- high-speed autofocus
- face detection automatically sets focus, exposure, flash, and white balance for better portraits
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Connections and Dimensions:
- USB output
- mini HDMI output for connecting the camera to a compatible HDTV (cable not included)
- 3-15/16"W x 2-3/8"H x 1-1/16"D
- weight: 6.98 oz. (with battery and media)
- rechargeable lithium ion battery
- AC battery charger
- USB cables
- wrist strap
- software CD-ROM
Canon PowerShot S110 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size||3"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||24-120mm|
|Sensor Size||1/1.7" CMOS|
|Highest Resolution||4000 x 3000|
|Video Resolution||1920 x 1080|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||6.98|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
LCD Touchscreen Monitor: The Canon PowerShot S110 has a 3.0" TFT LCD touchscreen monitor, featuring 461,000 dots with approximately 100% picture coverage. The touchscreen recognizes touch and swipe actions to move through menus and recorded images, and pinch actions to move from single image display to thumbnail image (index) display. The Touch Shutter function lets you control the shutter release by touching the screen.
Image Sensor: The camera is equipped with a 1/1.7" CMOS image sensor with 13.3-million total pixels, and 12.1-million effective pixels. Along with the new DIGIC 5 Image Processor, the S110 gives you clear photos with accurate colors and less noise.
Face Detection Technology: The DIGIC 5 chip's Face Detection Technology finds and tracks the faces of moving subjects until you're ready to shoot, then delivers perfect focus. In addition, exposure, flash, and white balance are compensated, so that faces exhibit natural skin tones and backgrounds are properly exposed.
Smart Shutter: Smart Shutter technology automatically takes a picture a short time after the camera detects a specific change in the scene. There are three Smart Shutter functions:
- Face Self-Timer: The Face Self-Timer automatically detects an increase in the number of faces, and makes the appropriate adjustments. When the Face Detection Self-Timer is set, the camera waits for the photographer's face to get on-camera before it takes the shot. The camera will shoot, two seconds after the new face is detected.
- Smile Self-Timer: The Smile Self-Timer captures smiles by tracking your subject's face and automatically releases the shutter as smiles are detected.
- Wink Self-Timer: The Wink Self-Timer lets you set the camera in a "shooting standby" mode after the shot is composed. When a designated person in the frame winks, the camera takes a picture, two seconds after the wink is detected.
Optics and Stabilization: The S110 has a 5x optical zoom lens with a 5.2-26mm focal length (35mm equivalent is 24-120mm). The built-in lens shift-type Image Stabilizer (Intelligent IS) helps control camera shake to give you clear images when you're zoomed way in. Image Stabilization can be set to Dynamic IS for strong camera shake, Powered IS for panning, or Hybrid IS for macro shots.
Zoom: In addition to the 5x optical zoom, the camera features a 4x digital zoom. When used in combination, the total zoom is approximately 20x.
Digital Tele-Converter: The focal length of the lens can be increased by an equivalent of 1.5x or 2.0x through the use of the Digital Tele-Converter. The equivalent focal lengths of the lens (35mm equivalent) are 36-180mm when using the 1.5x digital tele-converter, and 48-120mm with the 2.0x tele-converter. The digital zoom and digital tele-converter cannot be used simultaneously.
Recording Media: The camera records still images or moving images with stereo audio on SD Memory Cards (2GB or less), SDHC Memory Cards (4GB to 32GB), and SDXC Memory Cards (32GB and higher). The camera has no built-in memory, and no memory card is included with the camera.
Built-in Wi-Fi: Built-in Wi-Fi allows you to wirelessly transfer your images to social network sites (through the Canon iMage Gateway), to a PC or upload virtually anywhere on your iOS or Android device (using Canon CameraWindow app), share images between Wi-Fi-enabled PowerShot cameras, and even print your images on an Wi-Fi-compatible printer.
Note: The camera is compatible with iOS Ver.4.3 or later, and Android devices version 18.104.22.168 or later. Wireless LAN specification: IEEE802.11b/g/n.
GPS via Mobile: You can record GPS+ data on your smartphone, using the free Canon CameraWindow downloadable app, and wirelessly (via Wi-Fi) add the location data to the images in your camera. The app allows you to record location data, such as latitude, longitude, altitude, and shooting time onto your pictures.
Image Formats: Still images are recorded in JPEG and RAW formats. A RAW image is raw data recorded with nearly no deterioration in image quality resulting from image processing inside the camera. You can use the supplied software to adjust the image in any way you like with minimal loss in image quality. Movies are recorded in MOV format (Image data: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, Audio data: Linear PCM (stereo)).
Still Image Resolution/Compression: The S110 can record still images in 4 different sizes (Large, Medium 1, Medium 2, and Small) and 5 aspect ratios (4:3, 16:9, 3:2, 1:1, and 4:5). For each resolution, you can set the compression to Fine or Normal. You can choose from the following resolutions:
|Large + RAW||4000 x 2248||4000 x 2664||4000 x 3000||2992 x 2992||2400 x 3000|
|Medium 1||2816 x 1584||2816 x 1880||2816 x 2112||2112 x 2112||1696 x 2112|
|Medium 2||1920 x 1080||1600 x 1064||1600 x 1200||1200 x 1200||960 x 1200|
|Small||640 x 360||640 x 424||640 x 480||480 x 480||384 x 480|
Movies: Movies can be shot in High Definition at 1920 x 1080 at 24 fps, and 1280 x 720 at 30 fps with stereo audio. Standard definition movies can be recorded at 640 x 480 pixels, with a frame rate of 30 frames per second and stereo audio. Recording will automatically stop when either the clip file size reaches 4 GB or the recording time reaches approximately 30 minutes for HD, and 1 hour for SD. SD Speed Class 6 or higher memory cards are recommended.
Movie Modes: There are 3 Movie Modes to choose from:
- Standard: Shoots standard movies
- iFrame: Shoots movies that can be edited with iFrame compatible software or devices
- Super Slow Motion: Shoots fast moving subjects and plays them back in slow motion
Continuous Shooting Mode: You can use the continuous shooting mode to shoot successive frames while the shutter button is fully pressed. You can shoot continuously at approximately 2.1 images per second. In the High Speed Burst HQ mode, you can shoot up to 10 continuous shots at a maximum speed of approximately 10 images per second.
Focusing Range: The camera features the following focus ranges (from the end of the lens):
- Auto: 1.2" to infinity (W), 1' to infinity (T)
- Normal: 2" to infinity (W), 1' to infinity (T)
- Macro: 1.2" to 1.6' (W), 1' to 1.6' (T)
- Manual Focus: 1.2" - infinity (W), 1' to infinity (T)
Shooting Modes: Using the mode dial on the top, you can switch between the following shooting modes:
- Auto: The camera will automatically select the best settings for the scene.
- Program (P): The camera sets both the aperture value and shutter speed.
- Aperture Priority (Av): You can set the aperture to a value at which you want to shoot, and the camera sets the appropriate shutter speed for the aperture you set. Aperture values can be set between F2.0 to F8.0 at wide angle and F5.9 to F8.0 at telephoto.
- Shutter Priority (Tv): You can set the shutter speed to a value at which you want to shoot, and the camera sets the appropriate aperture value for the shutter speed you set. Shutter speeds can be set between 15 and 1/2000 seconds.
- Manual (M): You can manually set the shutter speed and aperture.
- Control Ring (C): You can register numerous functions to the control ring surrounding the camera's lens.
- Movie Digest: Make a short movie of a day just by shooting still images.
- Creative Filters: You can add various effects to images when shooting, such as Super Vivid, Poster Effect, High Dynamic Range, Nostalgic, Fish-eye Effect, Miniature Effect, Toy Camera Effect, Monochrome, Soft Focus, Color Accent, or Color Swap.
- Scene: Select from the following, according to the scene or effects desired: Smooth Skin, Portrait, Smart Shutter, High Speed Burst HQ, Handheld Night Scene, Underwater, Snow, Fireworks, and Stitch Assist.
- Movies: Record movies in High Definition or Standard Definition in Standard Mode, iFrame Movie, and Super Slow Motion Movie modes.
Metering Modes: You can select from the following metering modes:
- Evaluative Light Metering: used for standard conditions. The area within the frame is divided into several zones and light is measured based on subject position, brightness, direct light and backlighting.
- Center-Weighted Averaging: averages the exposure from the entire image, but places more weight on the subject at the center
- Spot: meters the area within the spot AE point at the center of the LCD monitor or viewfinder.
Exposure Compensation: If you are shooting against a bright background or strong backlight, you may need to correct the exposure so that the subject doesn't come out too dark. You can set the adjustments from -3 to +3 in 1/3-step increments.
Locking the Exposure Setting (AE Lock): You can set the exposure and focus separately. This is effective when the contrast is too strong between the subject and background, or when a subject is backlit. Flash Exposure Lock (FE Lock), just as with the AE lock, lets you lock the exposure for shooting with the flash.
White Balance: You can choose from the following white balance settings: Auto, Daylight, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Fluorescent H, Flash, Underwater, and Custom.
Flash Modes: The PowerShot S110 has a built-in pop-up flash. You can select Auto (flash fires in low light), Slow-synchro, On (flash always fires), or Off (flash doesn't fire). The built-in flash has a range of 1.6' to 23' in Wide Angle and 1.6' to 7.5' in Telephoto. In the menu, you can turn on the Red-Eye Reduction lamp for the flash, and apply Red-Eye Correction to the images that have been taken. As with Exposure Compensation, you can adjust the Flash Exposure Compensation +/- 2 stops in 1/3-stop increments when using the flash.
ISO Speed: The ISO speed can be set Automatically (ISO Auto), or manually between ISO 80 and ISO 12800 in 1/3 EF steps (23 steps). Lowering the ISO speed results in sharper images but there's a greater chance of subject or image blurring in certain shooting conditions. Raising the ISO speed results in a faster shutter speed, reducing blurred images. The images, however, will appear more coarse.
My Colors: You can choose the look and feel of the photos you take by using My Colors to add the following effects to the image you are currently recording or have already recorded: Vivid, Neutral, Sepia, B/W, Positive Film, Lighter Skin Tone, Darker Skin Tone, Vivid Blue, Vivid Green, Vivid Red, and Custom Color.
Display Overlay: You can customize the display with the following overlays:
- Shooting Info: A wide range of information on the shooting conditions and settings will display on the viewfinder or LCD monitor.
- Grid Lines: Displays gridlines dividing the monitor into 9 areas, allowing you to check the subject's horizontal and vertical alignment.
- Electronic Level: An electronic level is displayed on the screen as a guideline to determine if the camera is level.
- Histogram: A graphic display that shows the distribution of brightness in an image horizontally.
Self-Timer: The S110 utilizes a 10-second, 2-second, and a custom self-timer to allow the photographer to be included in the shot, or to avoid camera shake when using a tripod. The custom self-timer allows you to set the time delay to 1-15, 20, 25, or 30 seconds for up to 10 shots.
Index Display: This feature allows you to view 4, 9, 36, or 100 images at once on the LCD monitor so that you can search for an image quickly. Movies cannot be played in the index playback mode. You can view the index display by rotating the zoom lever toward wide angle while the camera is in playback mode.
Filtered Playback: When there are many images on the memory card, you can filter and display them by a specified filter. You can also protect or delete all images at once while filtered. Available filters include: Favorites, Shot Date, My Category, Type (Still/Movie), and Name.
Playback Displays: You can choose from the following types of displays: No Information, Detailed Information, and Focus Check.
Red-Eye Correction: You can correct red eyes in already recorded images. However, red eyes may not be automatically detected in some images such as faces near the screen edge, faces that appear extremely small, larger dark or bright in relation to the overall image and faces turned to the side or at a diagonal and faces with a portion hidden which prevents the Red-Eye Correction from working. You can choose to overwrite the file with the corrected image, or store the image as a new file, retaining the original image.
PictBridge/Direct Print: Using the supplied USB cable, you can connect this camera directly to a PictBridge-compatible printer of any brand, or a Canon printer that supports the Direct Print function. You can also connect the camera directly to certain Canon SELPHY compact photo printers and PIXMA inkjet photo printers. In this way, you can make prints directly from the camera without having to connect to a computer.
Power Requirements: The Canon PowerShot S110 powered by the NB-5L Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery. The camera includes the CB-2LX battery charger, which can charge the NB-5L battery in approximately 2 hours 5 minutes. For long periods of continuous use, or when connected to a computer, it is recommended that the camera be connected to the optional ACK-DC30 AC adapter kit. A fully-charged battery will last for approximately 200 shots, 40 minutes of movie shooting time, 1 hour 10 minutes of continuous shooting, and 4 hours of playback time.
Date/Time Battery: The camera uses a built-in backup battery for maintaining the date and time data for about three weeks after the battery pack has been removed. By inserting a charged battery or connecting an AC adapter kit, the date/time battery can be charged in approximately 4 hours, even if the camera is not turned on.
Power Saving Functions: The camera is equipped with the following power saving functions:
- Auto Power Down for Shooting Mode: The screen will turn off approximately 1 minute after the camera is last operated. You can "wake" the camera at this point by pressing the shutter button halfway to turn on the screen and continue shooting. After about 2 more minutes, if no buttons are pressed, the lens will retract and the power will turn off.
- Auto Power Down for Playback Mode and Connection to a Printer: The camera power down approximately 5 minutes after the last control is accessed on the camera.
Note: The Power Saving Function will not activate during a Slide Show or while the camera is connected to a computer.
HDMI Output: The PowerShot S110 is equipped with a mini-HDMI (Type C) for connecting the camera to your HDTV. An optional mini-HDMI-to-HDMI cable, such as the Canon HTC-100, is required.
A/V Output/Digital Terminal: The camera has a Mini-B Version 2.0 USB terminal to allow you to connect the camera to a compatible computer or compatible Canon printer via the supplied USB cable. This USB 2.0 Hi-Speed-compatible terminal allows you to rapidly download images to your computer or printer. Through the same USB jack, you can connect the camera to a TV or video monitor with stereo RCA audio and composite video input jacks using the optional AVC-DC400ST Stereo AV Cable. You can set the video output to NTSC or PAL.
Included Software: The PowerShot S110 comes supplied with the Canon Digital Camera Solution Disk Ver.125.0 CD-ROM. It contains the following programs:
- Canon Utilities:
- ImageBrowser EX 1.0: manage images transferred to a computer (view, edit, and print)
- CameraWindow DC 8.9: transfer images to and from camera, organize images on the camera, and upload movies on the camera to web services
- Digital Photo Professional (3.12): convert RAW images to JPEG and TIFF images
- PhotoStitch 3.1 (Windows) / 3.2 (Mac): use to merge still images to make panoramas
- User Guides: Camera User Guide, Software Guide
Compatible Operating Systems:
- Windows 7 (SP1)
- Windows Vista (SP2)
- Windows XP (SP3)
- Mac OS X (v10.6-v10.7)
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.