Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Canon PowerShot SX280 HS
12.1-megapixel digital camera with 20X optical zoom and Wi-Fi® (Black)
Item # 280SX280K | MFR # 8224B001
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Canon PowerShot SX280 HS by Crutchfield's David Brown
A compact point-and-shoot with 20X zoom
You don't need a big lens to get powerful zoom. You don't even need a big camera. Take Canon's PowerShot SX280 HS. This tiny camera contains a 20X optical zoom lens, for getting closer to distant subjects. Closer. Even closer. Right there. And once you're in tight on your subject and ready to shoot, you'll get the benefits of Canon's DIGIC 6 image processor. It excels in low-light settings as well as shooting with wide dynamic range. So whether you're trying to capture a wide-angle landscape with contrasting shadows and highlights or snapping an evening portrait, the SX280's processor can deliver bright, colorful photos that don't look overexposed or washed out.
Cut the cord with built-in Wi-Fi
The SX280's built-in Wi-Fi connectivity makes sharing photos with friends and family easier than ever. Even without an available Wi-Fi network, you can send photos directly to your smartphone using Canon's free CameraWindow app for Apple® and Android™. You can even send HD video to your mobile device. The SX280 lets you record in MP4 format, so your videos are optimized for easy viewing on tablets and smartphones.
Of course, a connection to a Wi-Fi network opens up more photo-sharing possibilities. With Canon's Image Gateway, you can send photos and videos wirelessly to your networked computer, a networked printer, or upload to social media sites like Facebook and Twitter.
"Where was this?"
You'll never have to ask that question again when looking at your photos. The SX280's on-board GPS tags all your photos with location information. It's also helpful in tracking your route between shots, so you can re-create trips on the map by seeing where and when each of your photos were snapped. That's a much better travelogue than a mere pile of photos, particularly when your vacations involve many days and lots of destinations. This makes the the SX280 HS great for travelers who want to pack light. It's also a great everyday camera, easy to grab on the way out the door to your child's sporting event or a get-together with friends.
The SX280HS is an outstanding PC in every way! Pocketable,excellent close and extended reach , quality images, with Digic 6 processor, cost highly manageable, low light shots easily captured. Terrific!
Ralph, Essex, MA
What's in the Box:
- Digital camera (black)
- NB-6L Lithium-Ion battery (3.7 V/1000 mA/3.5 Wh)
- CB-2LY battery charger (4.2 V/0.7A)
- Wrist strap
- 50" USB cable with in-line noise filter (cable has a USB Type A connector on one end and a mini-USB type-B connector on the other)
- Digital Camera Solution Disk Ver.143.0
- Canon Warranty card
- Getting Started booklet (Eng/Span)
- Canon Customer Support
- Online Product Registration card
- Canon Wireless Printer promo
- 12.1-megapixel effective recording CMOS sensor
- 3" LCD screen (461,000 dots)
- 20X optical zoom (4X digital zoom/80X combined zoom)
- records photos and video onto optional SD, SDHC, or SDXC memory cards
- 35mm equivalent lens focal length: 25-500mm
- built-in Wi-Fi for sending photos wirelessly to networked PCs, printers or other Wi-Fi-enabled PowerShot cameras
- share photos wirelessly via email, Facebook, Twitter and other social networking sites with Canon's free CameraWindow app for Apple and Android
- built-in GPS records location information for each photo and tracks your route between shots
- DIGIC 6 image processor allows high-sensitivity shooting in low light for highly detailed, low noise photos
- optical image stabilization for blur-free photos and video
- high-definition movie mode (up to 1080p/60p resolution) with high-speed shooting for slow motion playback
- Intelligent IS chooses from six digital image stabilization modes to counteract shaky hands
- Smart AUTO mode adjusts camera settings based on 58 preset shooting situations
- Hybrid Auto mode records short videos prior to snapping still photos and combines them into a single video clip
- variable ISO (film speed equivalent) settings including a high sensitivity mode (ISO 6400) for low-light and flash-free shooting
- ECO mode conserves power for getting more shots from your charged battery
- pop-up flash
Connections and Dimensions:
- high-speed USB interface
- mini HDMI output (HDMI cable not included)
- 4-1/4"W x 2-1/2"H x 1-5/16"D
- weight: 8.22 oz. (with battery and memory card)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- rechargeable lithium ion battery and AC charging station
- USB cable
- wrist strap
- software CD-ROM
Canon PowerShot SX280 HS Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size||3"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||25-500mm|
|Sensor Size||1/2.3" CMOS|
|Highest Resolution||4000 x 3000|
|Video Resolution||1920 x 1080|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||8.22|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
LCD Monitor: The Canon PowerShot SX280 HS has a 3" TFT LCD monitor, featuring 461,000 dots with approximately 100% picture coverage. The LCD display's brightness can be adjusted to one of five levels. The LCD display also features a Night Display feature that when shooting in dark conditions, the camera automatically brightens the LCD monitor to suit the brightness of the subject, making it easier to frame the subject.
Note: There is no separate viewfinder on this camera.
Image Sensor: The camera is equipped with a 1/2.3" CMOS image sensor with 12.8-million total pixels, and 12.1-million effective pixels. Along with the new DIGIC 6 Image Processor, the SX280 HS gives you improved sensitivity that allows for higher resolution with less noise when shooting in dark conditions.
Built-in Wi-Fi: The PowerShot SX280 HS comes with built-in Wi-Fi technology, allowing you to share what you've recorded with friends, family, and the whole world. The camera can wirelessly connect to and send images to the following:
- Smartphone: The camera can connect directly to both iOS (version 5.1, 6.0, 6.1, or later) and Android devices (version 2.3, 4.0, 4.1 or later) via the free Canon CameraWindow app.
- Web Services: You can post your images to your favorite social networking sites throught the Canon Image Gateway, or save them to the online photo album.
- Another Camera: Share your photos with other Wi-Fi equipped PowerShot cameras.
- Computer: Transfer images and video directly to your computer to update friends and family while you're traveling or away from home.
- Printer: You can send images to a PictBridge-compatible printer (supporting DPS over IP) to print them.
Face Detection Technology: The DIGIC 6 chip's Face Detection Technology finds and tracks the faces of moving subjects until you're ready to shoot, then delivers perfect focus. In addition, exposure, flash, and white balance are compensated, so that faces exhibit natural skin tones and backgrounds are properly exposed.
Smart Shutter: Smart Shutter technology automatically takes a picture a short time after the camera detects a specific change in the scene. There are three Smart Shutter functions:
- Face Self-Timer: The Face Self-Timer automatically detects an increase in the number of faces, and makes the appropriate adjustments. When the Face Detection Self-Timer is set, the camera waits for the photographer's face to get on-camera before it takes the shot. The camera will shoot, two seconds after the new face is detected.
- Smile Self-Timer: The Smile Self-Timer captures smiles by tracking your subject's face and automatically releases the shutter as smiles are detected.
- Wink Self-Timer: The Wink Self-Timer lets you set the camera in a "shooting standby" mode after the shot is composed. When a designated person in the frame winks, the camera takes a picture, two seconds after the wink is detected.
Optics and Stabilization: The SX280 HS has a 20x optical zoom lens with a 4.5-90mm focal length (35mm equivalent is 25-500mm). The built-in Optical Image Stabilizer helps control camera shake to give you clear images when you're zoomed way in. Image Stabilization can be set to Continuous, Shoot Only, or Panning.
Zoom: In addition to the 20x optical zoom, the camera features a 4x digital zoom. When used in combination, the total zoom is approximately 80x.
Digital Tele-Converter: The focal length of the lens can be increased by an equivalent of 1.5x or 2.0x through the use of the Digital Tele-Converter. The equivalent focal lengths of the lens (35mm equivalent) are 37.5-750mm when using the 1.5x digital tele-converter, and 50-1000mm with the 2.0x tele-converter. The digital zoom and digital tele-converter cannot be used simultaneously.
Recording Media: The camera records still images or moving images with stereo audio on SD Memory Cards (2GB or less), SDHC Memory Cards (4GB to 32GB), and SDXC Memory Cards (32GB and higher). Still images are recorded in JPEG format, and the movies are recorded in MOV format (Image data: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, Audio data: Linear PCM (stereo)). The camera has no built-in memory, and no memory card is included with the camera.
Still Image Resolution/Compression: The SX280 HS can record still images in 4 different sizes (Large, Medium 1, Medium 2, and Small) and 4 aspect ratios (4:3, 16:9, 3:2, and 1:1). For each resolution, you can set the compression to Fine or Normal. You can choose from the following resolutions:
|Image Size||Aspect Ratio|
|Large||4000 x 3000||4000 x 2248||4000 x 2664||2992 x 2992|
|Medium 1||2816 x 2112||2816 x 1584||2816 x 1880||2112 x 2112|
|Medium 2||1600 x 1200||1920 x 1080||1600 x 1064||1200 x 1200|
|Small||640 x 480||640 x 360||640 x 424||480 x 480|
Movies: Movies can be shot in High Definition at 1920 x 1080 at 60 and 30 fps, and 1280 x 720 at 30 fps with stereo audio. Standard definition movies can be recorded at 640 x 480 pixels, with a frame rate of 30 frames per second and stereo audio. Recording will automatically stop when either the clip file size reaches 4 GB or the recording time reaches approximately 30 minutes for HD, and 1 hour for SD. SD Speed Class 6 or higher memory cards are recommended.
Super Slow Motion Movies: You can shoot fast moving subjects and play them back in slow motion. No sound is recorded. There are two frame rates to choose from:
|Frame Rate||Image Quality||Playback Time
|240 fps||320 x 240||Approx. 4 min.|
|120 fps||640 x 480||Approx. 2 min.|
Continuous Shooting Mode: You can use the continuous shooting mode to shoot successive frames while the shutter button is fully pressed. There are two modes: Continuous Shooting and High Speed Burst:
|Continuous Shooting||3.8 fps||Continuous shooting with focus and exposure set when you press the shutter button halfway.|
|Continuous Shooting AF||1.0 fps||Continuous shooting and focusing. AF Frame is set to Center.|
|Continuous Shooting LV||1.0 fps||Continuous shooting with focus at the position determined in manual focusing.|
|High Speed Burst HQ||14 fps||High Speed Burst Scene Mode. Shoots continuously when shutter button fully pressed.|
|High Speed Burst AF||5.1 fps||High Speed Burst Scene Mode with AF Frame set to Center.|
Global Positioning System (GPS): The camera has a built-in GPS receiver. Camera location information (latitude, longitude, and elevation) can be added to your images and movies as your shoot. This information can be used with the supplied software to see the shooting location on a map.
Focusing Range: The camera features the following focus ranges (from the end of the lens):
- Normal: 2.0" to infinity (W), 3.3' to infinity (T)
- Macro AF: 2.0" to 1.6' (wide)
Shooting Modes: Using the mode dial on the back panel, you can switch between the following shooting modes:
- Manual: You can manually set the shutter speed and aperture.
- Aperture Priority: You can set the aperture to a value at which you want to shoot, and the camera sets the appropriate shutter speed for the aperture you set. Aperture values can be set between F3.5 to F8.0 at wide angle and F6.8 to F8.0 at telephoto.
- Shutter Priority: You can set the shutter speed to a value at which you want to shoot, and the camera sets the appropriate aperture value for the shutter speed you set. Shutter speeds can be set between 15 and 1/3200 seconds.
- Program: The camera sets both the aperture value and shutter speed.
- Live View Control: Image brightness, colors, and tone can be easily customized while shooting.
- Hybrid Auto: You can make a short movie of the day (Digest Movie). Just by shooting still images, the camera will automatically record a movie clip of the scene immediately before each shot.
- Auto: The camera will automatically select the best settings for the scene.
- Sports: You can shoot continuously as the camera focuses on moving subjects.
- Scene: Select from the following, according to the scene or effects desired: Portrait, Handheld Night Scene, Underwater (required optional waterproof case), Snow, and Fireworks.
- Creative Filters: You can add various effects to images when shooting, such as Super Vivid, Poster Effect, Fish-eye Effect, Miniature Effect, Toy Camera Effect, Soft Focus, or Monochrome.
- Discreet Mode: Lets you shoot without the flash or camera sounds.
- Movies: Record movies in High Definition or Standard Definition in Standard Mode and Super Slow Motion Movie modes.
Metering Modes: You can select from the following metering modes:
- Evaluative Light Metering: used for standard conditions. The area within the frame is divided into several zones and light is measured based on subject position, brightness, direct light and backlighting.
- Center-Weighted Averaging: averages the exposure from the entire image, but places more weight on the subject at the center
- Spot: meters the area within the spot AE point at the center of the LCD monitor or viewfinder.
Exposure Compensation: If you are shooting against a bright background or strong backlight, you may need to correct the exposure so that the subject doesn't come out too dark. You can set the adjustments from -2 to +2 in 1/3-step increments.
Locking the Exposure Setting (AE Lock): You can set the exposure and focus separately. This is effective when the contrast is too strong between the subject and background, or when a subject is backlit. Flash Exposure Lock (FE Lock), just as with the AE lock, lets you lock the exposure for shooting with the flash.
White Balance: You can choose from the following white balance settings: Auto, Daylight, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Fluorescent H, Underwater, and Custom.
Flash Modes: The PowerShot SX280 HS has a built-in pop-up flash. You can select Auto (flash fires in low light), Slow-synchro, On (flash always fires), or Off (flash doesn't fire). The built-in flash has a range of 1.6' to 11' in Wide Angle and 3.3' to 6.6' in Telephoto. In the menu, you can turn on the Red-Eye Reduction lamp for the flash, and apply Red-Eye Correction to the images that have been taken.
ISO Speed: The ISO speed can be set Automatically (ISO Auto), or manually to ISO 80, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600 or 3200. Lowering the ISO speed results in sharper images but there's a greater chance of subject or image blurring in certain shooting conditions. Raising the ISO speed results in a faster shutter speed, reducing blurred images. The images, however, will appear more coarse.
My Colors: You can choose the look and feel of the photos you take by using My Colors to add the following effects to the image you are currently recording or have already recorded: Vivid, Neutral, Sepia, B/W, Positive Film, Lighter Skin Tone, Darker Skin Tone, Vivid Blue, Vivid Green, Vivid Red, and Custom Color.
Display Overlay: You can customize the display with the following overlays:
- Shooting Info: A wide range of information on the shooting conditions and settings will display on the viewfinder or LCD monitor.
- Grid Lines: Displays gridlines dividing the monitor into 9 areas, allowing you to check the subject's horizontal and vertical alignment
- Histogram: A graphic display that shows the distribution of brightness in an image horizontally.
Self-Timer: The SX280 HS utilizes a 10-second, 2-second, and a custom self-timer to allow the photographer to be included in the shot, or to avoid camera shake when using a tripod. The custom self-timer allows you to set the time delay to 1-15, 20, 25, or 30 seconds for up to 10 shots.
Index Display: This feature allows you to view 6, 12, 36, or 100 images at once on the LCD monitor so that you can search for an image quickly. Movies cannot be played in the index playback mode. You can view the index display by rotating the zoom lever toward wide angle while the camera is in playback mode.
Filtered Playback: When there are many images on the memory card, you can filter and display them by a specified filter. You can also protect or delete all images at once while filtered. Available filters include: Name (of registered person), People, Favorites, Shot Date, and Still Image/Movie.
Red-Eye Correction: You can correct red eyes in already recorded images. However, red eyes may not be automatically detected in some images such as faces near the screen edge, faces that appear extremely small, larger dark or bright in relation to the overall image and faces turned to the side or at a diagonal and faces with a portion hidden which prevents the Red-Eye Correction from working. You can choose to overwrite the file with the corrected image, or store the image as a new file, retaining the original image.
PictBridge: Using the supplied USB cable, you can connect this camera directly certain Canon SELPHY compact photo printers and PIXMA inkjet photo printers, or to a PictBridge-compatible printer of any brand. In this way, you can make prints directly from the camera without having to connect to a computer.
Power Requirements: The Canon PowerShot SX280 HS powered by the NB-6L Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery. The camera includes the CB-2LY battery charger, which can charge the NB-6L battery in approximately 1 hour 55 minutes. For long periods of continuous use, or when connected to a computer, it is recommended that the camera be connected to the optional ACK-DC40 AC adapter kit. A fully-charged battery will last for approximately 210 shots (260 in Eco mode), 25 minutes of movie shooting time, 1 hour of continuous shooting, and 3.5 hours of playback time.
Date/Time Battery: The camera uses a built-in backup battery for maintaining the date and time data for about three weeks after the battery pack has been removed. By inserting a charged battery or connecting an AC adapter kit, the date/time battery can be charged in approximately 4 hours, even if the camera is not turned on.
Power Saving Functions: The camera is equipped with the following power saving functions:
- Auto Power Down for Shooting Mode: The screen will turn off approximately 1 minute after the camera is last operated. You can "wake" the camera at this point by pressing the shutter button halfway to turn on the screen and continue shooting. After about 2 more minutes, if no buttons are pressed, the lens will retract and the power will turn off.
- Auto Power Down for Playback Mode and Connection to a Printer: The camera power down approximately 5 minutes after the last control is accessed on the camera.
Note: The Power Saving Function will not activate during a Slide-Show or while the camera is connected to a computer.
HDMI Output: The PowerShot SX280 HS is equipped with a mini-HDMI (Type C) for connecting the camera to your HDTV. An optional mini-HDMI-to-HDMI cable, such as the Canon HTC-100, is required.
A/V Output/Digital Terminal: The camera has a Mini-B Version 2.0 USB terminal to allow you to connect the camera to a compatible computer or compatible Canon printer via the supplied USB cable. This USB 2.0 Hi-Speed-compatible terminal allows you to rapidly download images to your computer or printer. Through the same USB jack, you can connect the camera to a TV or video monitor with stereo RCA audio and composite video input jacks using the optional AVC-DC400ST Stereo AV Cable. You can set the video output to NTSC or PAL.
Included Software: The PowerShot SX280 HS comes supplied with the Canon Digital Camera Solution Disk Ver.143.0 CD-ROM. It contains the following programs:
- Canon Utilities:
- ImageBrowser EX 1.1: import images and change camera settings; manage images (view, search, organize); print and edit images
- CameraWindow DC 8.10: transfer images to and from camera, organize images on the camera, and upload movies on the camera to web services
- PhotoStitch 3.1 (Windows) / 3.2 (Mac): use to merge still images to make panoramas
- User Guides: Camera User Guide, Software Guide
Compatible Operating Systems:
- Windows 8
- Windows 7 (SP1)
- Windows Vista (SP2)
- Windows XP (SP3)
- Mac OS X 10.6, 10.7, 10.8
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.