Professional HD camcorder
Our take on the Canon XA15 by Crutchfield's Eric Angevine
Canon's XA15 camcorder offers a 3" touchscreen, add-on handle with dual XLR connections, and a microphone holder to assist the working videographer.
A portable camera that shoots professional-quality HD video
If you're looking to use your video camera to make a living, the Canon XA15 may just have everything you need. It supports full HD video recording, offers a 20X optical zoom lens with five-axis image stabilization, and includes useful accessories that every hard-working cameraperson needs.
This camera lets you make professional creative choices. A night shoot is no problem, thanks to infrared mode, which produces well-illuminated images in low light. Interval Recording (2x-1200x) lets you create fast- or slow-motion time-lapse video that helps to tell the story. And you don't have to stop recording to swap out memory cards — dual slots let you keep recording when the first card is full.
The body of the XA15 provides a mini HDMI connector, a mini USB output, and a 3.5mm minijack output that lets you monitor your recordings with a pair of headphones. There's also a pro-quality HD/SD-SDI terminal that lets you transmit uncompressed video with timecode and audio embedded.
The included handle accessory offers dual XLR inputs with phantom power and individual volume controls for connecting pro-quality microphones. An included microphone holder helps you capture clear sound, even when you don't have a hand free.
- full HD video recording (1920 x 1080, 1280 x 720), 1440 x 1080 HDV mode available
- wide-angle 20X optical zoom lens (400X digital zoom)
- 35mm equivalent focal range of 28.8-576mm
- 3" LCD touchscreen (460,000 dots)
- 0.24" LCD viewfinder (1.56 million dots)
- five-axis optical and electronic image stabilization helps reduce image distortion
- DIGIC DV 4 image processor is fast and powerful
- dual SD memory card slots enable double-slot and relay recording
- double-slot recording lets you instantly back up your videos
- relay recording automatically continues recording on second card when first card is full
- infrared mode produces video images that are evenly illuminated in low light
- Interval Recording (2x-1200x) creates fast- or slow-motion time-lapse video
- Wide Dynamic Range Gamma of 600% helps prevent overexposure
- Minimum Object Distance (MOD) is maintained at all zoom levels, enabling flexible framing control
- eight-blade circular aperture for smoothly defocused backgrounds
Connections and Dimensions:
- BNC output connector
- HD/SD-SDI terminal transmits uncompressed video with timecode and audio embedded
- mini HDMI connector
- high-speed mini-USB port
- removable handle unit includes dual XLR balanced audio inputs
- 48V phantom power and separate volume controls
- 3.5mm headphone jack for audio monitoring
- 5-1/4"W x 7-1/8"H x 9-1/8"D (with lens hood, mic holder and handle)
- weight: 2.5 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year parts and labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- CA-570 power adapter
- BP-820 lithium-ion battery pack
- lens hood with lens barrier
- HDU-1 handle unit
- microphone holder