Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
15" AQUOS LCD TV
Item #: 284LC15S4U
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Sharp LC-15S4U by Crutchfield's Steve Kindig
Read the story here!
With compact speakers located beneath the screen, the ultra-slim 15" LC-15S4U TV is a stylish way to fit the most screen into the least space. It also delivers outstanding picture quality. Its Enhanced Definition TV (EDTV) capability means it can display crystal-clear progressive-scan video when connected to a compatible DVD player.
Sharp's Advanced Super View LCD has a special anti-glare coating to deliver greater brightness and extremely wide viewing angles. These AQUOS models are among the brightest LCD TVs available, so you can place them anywhere even near windows, doors, or other light sources and still enjoy dynamic colors and ultra-crisp contrast!
A removable handle allows easy carrying. The tiltable stand is perfect for your desktop, and it detaches if you'd prefer wall-mounting. "Mirror" and "upside-down" image options are provided for under-cabinet mounting and other custom installations.
LCD-based TVs are among the most rugged and reliable designs. You never have to worry about an image "burning in" permanently, which is great news for video game fans. The LC-15S4U's long-life lamp is rated for 60,000 hours of use, which is the equivalent of viewing 8 hours per day, every day, for over 20 years.
Consumer Alert: This component has only an analog broadcast tuner and will require a converter box after February 17, 2009, to receive over-the-air broadcasts with an antenna because of the Nation's transition to digital broadcasting. Analog-only TVs should continue to work as before with cable and satellite TV services, gaming consoles, VCRs, DVD players, and similar products. For more information, call the Federal Communications Commission at 1-888-225-5322 (TTY: 1-888-835-5322) or visit the Commission's digital television website at: www.dtv.gov
What's in the Box:
- 15" LCD TV mounted on table stand
- Wireless remote control (GA293WJSA)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- AC adapter (UADP-A080WJPZ) with attached 6.5' cord (12V/4.7A)
- 6' AC power cord
- 15" Audio adapter cable (with 3.5mm miniplug on one end and stereo RCA plugs on the other end)
- Cable clamp
- Operation Manual (English/French/Spanish/Portuguese)
- Product Registration card
- 15" Advanced Super View low-reflective flat LCD panel
- 4:3 screen aspect ratio
- 640 x 480 pixels
- EDTV picture resolution (accepts signals up to 480p, displays all signals at 480p)
- 170°(H) x 170°(V) viewing angle
- 500:1 contrast ratio
- 3-line digital comb filter
- multi-format tuner compatibility (NTSC, PAL-M, PAL-N), and multi-format video compatibility (NTSC, PAL, PAL-M, PAL-N, SECAM)
- mirror and upside-down image options for custom installations
- built-in stereo speakers (2.1 watts x 2)
- remote control
- 3 A/V inputs, including:
- 2 composite video (1 rear, 1 side)
- 1 S-video
- 1 component video (accepts 480p/480i signals)
- RF input for antenna/cable signals
- detachable tilt stand (depth is 7-1/16")
- wall-mountable (bracket not included)
- 14-1/4"W x 13-3/8"H x 2-1/2"D (14-11/16"H x 7-1/16"D on stand)
- weight: 7.9 lbs. (without stand)
- Energy Star® compliant
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor carry-in service
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- not intended for computer use
Features and Specs
Flat Screen/Viewing Angles: The flat screen delivers images that are virtually distortion free and helps eliminate screen glare. Its extra-wide viewing angles (170 degrees horizontal and vertical) allow you to see a clear picture from most anywhere in the room.
3-Line Digital Y/C Comb Filter: The 3-Line Y/C Comb Filter gives you maximum picture detail and resolution.
Lamp Life: The expected life of the backlight lamp is 60,000 hours (at standard backlight position), which equates to ten hours use a day for more than sixteen years.
Multi-format Compatibility: This TV is compatible with the following Video formats: NTSC (N358), N443, PAL, PAL-M, PAL-N, PAL-60, and SECAM. It is also compatible with the following TV Tuner formats: NTSC, PAL-M and PAL-N.
Picture Flip: To accommodate the wide variety of mounting angles and positions, you can change the orientation of the picture for proper viewing. The Picture Flip feature offers a Normal image, Mirror image, Rotated image, or an Upside Down image.
AV Mode: This mode gives you 5 options to choose from to best match the environment, which can vary due to room brightness, type of program, or type of image input:
- Standard: highly defined image in a normally bright room
- Dynamic: for clear-cut image, emphasizing high contrast for sports viewing
- Dynamic (Fixed): changes image and sound settings to factory preset values and allows no adjustments
- Movie: for viewing movies
- Game: lowers image brightness for easier viewing
View Modes: You can choose one of the following Vide Modes:
- 4:3: displays the image in a 4:3 size
- 16:9: stretches the image horizontally to display it in a 16:9 size
- Zoom: enlarges the picture equally until the screen is filled
- Stretch: stretches the image horizontally
Picture Adjustments: You can make the following adjustments in the picture quality menu:
- Optical Picture Control (OPC): Using the OPC Sensor on the front panel of the LCD screen, the OPC, when set to "on", automatically adjusts the backlight brightness according to the surrounding light.
- Backlight: allows you to
choose one of the following backlight settings:
- Bright: maximum brightness
- Normal: suitable for viewing in a well lit area
- Dark: sufficiently bright when viewing in dim areas
- Variable: the brightness can be manually adjusted to suit your preference
- Auto: the OPC sensor is used and the brightness is adjusted automatically
- Contrast: adjusts the contrast (0 to +60)
- Brightness: for more or less brightness (-30 to +30)
- Color: adjusts the color intensity (-30 to +30)
- Tint: adjusts skin tones from purplish to greenish (-30 to +30)
- Sharpness: adjusts sharpness of image edges (-10 to +10)
- Color Temperature: For better white balance, you can set the color temperature to High, Middle, or Low. You can also store our own settings under the User preset, which allows you to independently adjust the Red, Green, and Blue levels.
Sound Adjustments: You can adjust the amount of bass and treble (-15 to +15) and set the balance between left and right speakers.
Audio Only Mode: When you only want to listen to the audio portion of a program, such as a music program, you can turn off the LCD screen by using the Audio Only mode.
Power Control: You can set the unit to automatically turn off if no signal is received for 5 minutes, or if no operation is performed for 3 hours. Five minutes before the power shuts down, the remaining time displays every minute.
V-Chip Parental Control: This feature allows you to limit the shows that can be viewed based on the TV Parental Guidelines and a movie's MPAA rating. After setting Parental Control "On", you must enter the 4-digit password to view blocked programs.
Sleep Timer: This TV can be set to turn itself off in 30, 60, 90, 120, or 150 minutes.
Wake-up Timer: You can set the wake-up timer to automatically turn the TV on at a specific time. The timer allows you to adjust the following: on time, channel, and volume.
Removable Stand: The Sharp LC-15S4U comes with an adjustable stand, allowing you to tilt the display for the best viewing angle. The screen can be tilted 10° backward or 2.5° forward. For wall mounting, the stand can be removed by loosening four 4mm (M4) screws. Note: The TV weighs 9.5 pounds including the stand, and 7.9 pounds without the stand.
VESA Mounting Bracket Standard: The TV has 4 mounting holes on the back for an optional wall-mount bracket. The spacing of the mounting holes is VESA 100 (millimeters), in accordance with the industry standards set by the Video Electronics Standards Association.
Input3/Output: This input/output consists of left and right RCA audio jacks and an RCA composite video jack. This connection can be used as an input or an output. Note: These jacks are included in the total of 3 Audio/Video inputs.
Input 1: The rear-mounted Input 1 features component video jacks and a 3.5mm stereo mini-jack input. A 15" stereo mini-plug to female stereo RCA adapter cable is supplied to accommodate those components that include component video and stereo RCA outputs.
Headphone Jack: The TV features a 3.5mm minijack headphone output on the front panel. When headphones are plugged in, the TV speakers are muted.
Cable Management: A cable clamp is supplied to help bind together the connecting cables to the back of the TV.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.