Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
15" AQUOS LCD TV
Item # 284LC15S5U | MFR # LC-15S5U
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Sharp LC-15S5U by Crutchfield's Steve Kindig
With compact speakers located beneath the screen, the ultra-slim 15" LC-15S5U TV is a stylish way to fit the most screen into the least space. It also delivers outstanding picture quality. Its Enhanced Definition TV (EDTV) capability means it can display crystal-clear progressive-scan video when connected to a compatible DVD player.
Sharp's LCD panel design has a special anti-glare coating to deliver greater brightness and extremely wide viewing angles. AQUOS models are among the brightest LCD TVs available, so you can place them anywhere even near windows, doors, or other light sources and still enjoy vivid colors and ultra-crisp contrast. Energy-efficient AQUOS TVs consume 60% less power than comparably-sized tube TVs.
The adjustable-tilt stand is perfect for your desktop, and it detaches if you'd prefer wall-mounting (bracket not included).
Consumer Alert: This component has only an analog broadcast tuner and will require a converter box after February 17, 2009, to receive over-the-air broadcasts with an antenna because of the Nation's transition to digital broadcasting. Analog-only TVs should continue to work as before with cable and satellite TV services, gaming consoles, VCRs, DVD players, and similar products. For more information, call the Federal Communications Commission at 1-888-225-5322 (TTY: 1-888-835-5322) or visit the Commission's digital television website at: www.dtv.gov
- 15" Advanced Super View low-reflective flat LCD panel
- 4:3 screen aspect ratio
- 640 x 480 pixels
- EDTV picture resolution (displays all signals at 480p)
- fast pixel response time (12 milliseconds)
- 500:1 contrast ratio
- 170°(H) x 170°(V) viewing angle
- 3D digital comb filter
- adjustable backlight
- standard TV tuner
- built-in stereo speakers (2.1 watts x 2)
- remote control
- 3 A/V inputs, including:
- 2 composite video
- 1 S-video
- 1 component video (accepts 480p/480i signals)
- RF input for antenna/cable signals
- detachable tilt stand (stand "footprint" is 12-1/4"W x 8-7/8"D)
- wall-mountable (bracket not included)
- 14-5/8"W x 13-1/4"H x 3-7/8"D (15"H x 8-7/8"D on stand)
- weight: 7.9 lbs. (without stand)
- Energy Star® compliant
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor carry-in service
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- not intended for computer use
Features and Specs
Flat Screen/Viewing Angles: The flat screen delivers images that are virtually distortion free and helps eliminate screen glare. Its extra-wide viewing angles (170 degrees horizontal and vertical) allow you to see a clear picture from most anywhere in the room.
VGA Resolution: The LC-15S5U's Advanced Super View & Black TFT LCD panel has a native resolution of 640 x 480 pixels.
3-D Digital Y/C Comb Filter: The 3-D Digital Y/C Comb Filter gives you maximum picture detail and resolution.
Lamp Life: The expected life of the backlight lamp is 60,000 hours (at standard backlight position), which equates to ten hours use a day for more than sixteen years.
Picture Flip: To accommodate the wide variety of mounting angles and positions, you can change the orientation of the picture for proper viewing. The Picture Flip feature offers a Normal image, Mirror image, Rotated image, or an Upside Down image.
AV Mode: This mode gives you 5 options to choose from to best match the environment, which can vary due to room brightness, type of program, or type of image input:
- Standard: highly defined image in a normally bright room
- Dynamic: for clear-cut image, emphasizing high contrast for sports viewing
- Dynamic (Fixed): changes image and sound settings to factory preset values and allows no adjustments
- Movie: for viewing movies
- Game: lowers image brightness for easier viewing
View Modes: You can choose one of the following Vide Modes:
- 4:3: displays the image in a 4:3 size
- 16:9: stretches the image horizontally to display it in a 16:9 size
- Zoom: enlarges the picture equally until the screen is filled
- Stretch: stretches the image horizontally
Picture Adjustments: You can make the following adjustments in the picture quality menu:
- Optical Picture Control (OPC): Using the OPC Sensor on the front panel of the LCD screen, the OPC, when set to "on", automatically adjusts the backlight brightness according to the surrounding light.
- Backlight: allows you to
choose one of the following backlight settings:
- Bright: maximum brightness
- Normal: suitable for viewing in a well lit area
- Dark: sufficiently bright when viewing in dim areas
- Variable: the brightness can be manually adjusted to suit your preference
- Auto: the OPC sensor is used and the brightness is adjusted automatically
- Contrast: adjusts the contrast (0 to +60)
- Brightness: for more or less brightness (-30 to +30)
- Color: adjusts the color intensity (-30 to +30)
- Tint: adjusts skin tones from purplish to greenish (-30 to +30)
- Sharpness: adjusts sharpness of image edges (-10 to +10)
- Color Temperature: For better white balance, you can set the color temperature to High, Middle, or Low. You can also store our own settings under the User preset, which allows you to independently adjust the Red, Green, and Blue levels.
Sound Adjustments: You can adjust the amount of bass and treble (-10 to +10) and set the balance between left and right speakers.
Audio Only Mode: When you only want to listen to the audio portion of a program, such as a music program, you can turn off the LCD screen by using the Audio Only mode.
Power Control: You can set the unit to automatically turn off if no signal is received for 5 minutes (No Signal Off), or if no operation is performed for 3 hours (No Operation Off). Five minutes before the power shuts down, the remaining time displays every minute.
V-Chip Parental Control: This feature allows you to limit the shows that can be viewed based on the TV Parental Guidelines, a movie's MPAA rating, or Canadian English or French TV ratings. After setting Parental Control "On", you must enter the 4-digit password to view blocked programs.
Sleep Timer: This TV can be set to turn itself off in 30, 60, 90, 120, or 150 minutes.
Removable Stand: The Sharp LC-15S5U comes with an adjustable stand, allowing you to tilt the display 2.5° forward or 10° backward for the best viewing angle. It cannot swivel on the stand. For wall mounting, the stand can be removed by removing 4 screws.
VESA Mounting Bracket Standard: The TV has 4 mounting holes on the back for an optional wall-mount bracket. The spacing of the mounting holes is VESA 100 (millimeters), in accordance with the industry standards set by the Video Electronics Standards Association.
Input 1: The component video input (Input 1) is compatible with 480i and 480p input signals only.
Input 3/Output: This input/output consists of left and right RCA audio jacks and an RCA composite video jack. This connection can be used as an input or an output.
Note: These jacks are included in the total of 3 Audio/Video inputs.
Headphone Jack: When you plug in headphones into the front panel-mounted headphone jack, the main TV speakers are muted.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.