Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Power line conditioner and surge protector
Item # 299M5100PM | MFR # M5100-PM
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Panamax M5100-PM by Crutchfield's Ralph Graves
Back panel includes ten AC adapters, three coaxial terminals, and two Ethernet jacks
Protect your home theater against damaging power surges
The Panamax 5100-PM protects your audio/video system from harmful power spikes as well as the minor current fluctuations that can affect your system's performance. The 5100-PM can safeguard up to 11 components, and it includes a protected front-panel USB charger for your MP3 player, cell phone or other portable electronic device.
Clean power for high-performance audio/video gear
This power conditioner has ten AC outlets on its back panel, divided into three isolated banks to help prevent cross-interference between your components. Two of the outlets accommodate high-current components like an amplifier and powered subwoofer. These switched outlets operate on a delay to prevent "speaker thump" when powering your system on and off.
Coaxial RF and phone line protection
The 5100-PM also has two sets of Ethernet jacks, including one jack on the front panel, so you can plug in your laptop and surf the web on a protected connection. A pair of protected jacks prevents spikes from coming in through your phone line, while three sets of coaxial terminals shield your satellite, cable TV and antenna connections. And the front-panel digital voltmeter's a nice touch — it lets you monitor the AC power coming into your system.
Overall a nice product for the price. It does not add any noise to the system and provides plenty of inputs in a well organized manner. The addition of an input on the front of the unit and a USB port is also very nice.
What's in the Box:
- Surge suppressor/power line conditioner with attached 10' AC power cord
- Two 42" coaxial cables
- 49" Telephone cable (has an RJ11 connector on each end)
- Owner's Guide (English/Spanish/French)
- 11 AC outlets with 3 isolated banks:
- one isolated bank of four switched outlets
- one isolated bank of four always-on outlets
- one isolated bank of two switched high-current outlets with delayed on/off
- one front-panel convenience outlet
- front-panel USB charger
- surge and over- and under-voltage protection
- filtration circuitry virtually eliminates line noise
- three sets of coaxial RF connections for cable/satellite/TV antenna
- two sets of RJ-45 LAN line inputs and outputs, including one front-panel connection
- RJ-11 phone line input and output
- 12-volt trigger input for delayed outlets
- front-panel digital voltmeter
- 1815-joule surge protection
- maximum current rating: 15 amps
- 17"W x 4-1/8"H x 14-1/4"D
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- $5 million connected-equipment warranty (covers equipment that is damaged by an AC surge while connected to a properly installed Panamax surge protector if protector shows signs of surge damage or is operating outside of design specifications)
Panamax M5100-PM Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Total AC Outlets||11|
|Powerline Network Compatible||No|
|Connected Equipment Guarantee||$5,000,000|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
11 AC Outlets: The Panamax M5100-PM features 1 front-panel "Always On" AC outlet, 4 rear-panel "Always On" outlets, 4 rear-panel "Switched Linear Filtered" AC outlets, and 2 rear-panel "Switched/Delayed High Current" AC outlets.
- High Current Outlets: The unit's two High Current Outlets provide power from a low impedance noise filtration circuit that does not limit the current to your equipment. Its output is noise isolated from all of the other outlets.
- Linear Noise Filtration Outlets (Switched): The unit's four switched Linear Noise Filtration Outlets are controlled by the front panel Power Button or the DC Trigger input. These outlets will turn on immediately and turn off after 10 seconds. LiFT EMI/RFI noise filtration is provided by a two-stage balanced Pi filter which also provides noise isolation from the other outlet banks.
- Linear Noise Filtration Outlets (Always On): The units four "always on" Liner Noise Filtration Outlets will only power off during a fault condition (under-voltage/over-voltage). Power is cleaned from these outlets by a two-stage balanced Pi filter which also provides noise isolation from the other outlet banks.
- Gaming Outlet: The M5100-PM features a convenient AC outlet located on the front-panel for connecting your gaming system temporarily.
Level 3 Power Cleaning and Linear Filtration: The unit's Level 3 Power Cleaning and Linear Filtration eliminates common symptoms of contaminated power (including loss of detail, pops, hisses, hums and visual artifacts) and allows your A/V equipment to perform up to its full capability.
Automatic/Visual Voltage Monitoring Circuitry: Panamax's patent pending AVM circuitry continuously monitors the incoming power as displayed on the unit's digital voltmeter. In case of an under-voltage or an over-voltage, a flashing red lightning bolt will be displayed in the voltmeter, and power to the connected equipment is automatically turned off if either of these conditions is detected. When voltage returns to a safe level, power to the equipment is automatically reconnected.
Cross-Contamination Reduction: The M5100-PM is designed to provide noise isolation between 3 isolated outlet banks including 2 high current outlets so that any noise created by an A/V component can not contaminate the power going to equipment plugged into another outlet bank.
Power Sequencing: The M5100-PM features Power Sequencing to guard against blown fuses and potential damaging speaker thump by automatically power outlets on and off in sequence. This feature minimizes in rush current issues by allowing the components plugged into the Switched Outlet Banks to power-up and stabilize before any amplifier and powered subwoofers are turned on. This sequence is reversed during shutdown. The amplifier and powered subwoofers turn off, their power supplies drain and then the equipment plugged into the Switched Outlet Banks are turned off.
Voltage Sense Trigger: The M5100-PM voltage sense trigger uses a standard 3.5mm (1/8") mini-mono plug. The feature provides an On/Off trigger for the M5100-PM using a direct current voltage signal.
HD Ready Coax Jacks:The unit's bi-directional (input/output) coaxial protection circuits achieve optimum signal quality from newly designed connectors that have less than 0.5 dB of attenuation from 0Hz to 2.2GHz. The unit's clamping level of 75V will meet the demands of both cable and satellite voltage while minimizing exposure to damaging spikes and surges.
Phone Jacks:The unit features an RJ-11 input and output for protecting your standard telephone or pay-per-view lines. The Phone circuit is auto-resetting.
LAN Jacks: The M5100-PM is equipped with two RJ-45 LAN inputs and one RJ-45 LAN output on its rear panel; and a bi-directional RJ-45 LAN jack on its front panel. The LAN protection circuits are designed for 1-/100 baseT Ethernet lines. The front-panel bi-directional LAN jack is an Ethernet pass-thru connection between the units front and rear panel. The front panel LAN port is also great for on-line gaming.
USB Charger: The M5100-PM features a front-panel USB type-A port for charging your MP3 player, cell phone, or other small electronic.
Digital Voltmeter: The M5100-PM features a front-panel Digital Voltmeter which monitors the voltage supplying your home theater equipment. If line voltage drops below 90VAC, or if the line voltage exceeds 142VAC, the display will turn off and the "unsafe voltage" indicator will flash indicating and unsafe voltage condition.
Outlet Bank Power LEDs: Each bank of outlets feature a corresponding Blue LED indicator. These LEDs indicate the status of the corresponding rear panel outlets. The LED will be lit when the outlets are turned On. They will flash during the startup and shutdown process.
Circuit Breaker: A circuit breaker is located on the back panel of the M5100-PM. The circuit breaker will trip only if the total current draw exceeds the maximum current rating (15A). This means that collectively, all outlets must draw more than 15 amps before the circuit breaker will trip.
$5,000,000 Lifetime Connected Equipment Warranty: Panamax will replace, pay to replace at fair market value, or pay to repair, up to $5,000,000 of equipment that is damaged by an AC surge while connected to a properly installed Panamax surge protector, if the surge protector shows signs of surge damage or is operating outside of design specifications. For coverage conditions and information on how to make a claim, please see the warranty sheet.
- Power Button: Powers Bank 2 and Bank 3 outlets on and off.
- Dimmer Button: Adjusts brightness level of unit's front panel lights and voltmeter.
- Digital Voltmeter: Digital LED voltmeter indicates the incoming line voltage.
- Outlet Bank Power LEDs: Bank 1, Bank 2 and Bank 3 each have a corresponding LED indicator to indicate they are turned on.
- Wiring OK: This LED illuminates to indicate that the wall outlet is properly grounded and Line/Neutral polarity is correct.
- Circuit Breaker: Resets M5100-PM.
- Bank 1 On LED: This LED illuminates when there is power present on the Bank 1 receptacles.
- AC Outlet: Front panel outlet for gaming systems.
- USB: USB port for charging portable devices such as MP3 players or cell-phones.
- LAN: Bi-directional Ethernet pass-thru connection between the front and rear panel.
- Linear Filtration Always On Bank 1: Four always on linear filtered outlets labeled DVR, HD Cable/SAT, VCR/AUX, HDTV/Monitor.
- Linear Filtration Switched Bank 2: Four switched outlets with linear filtration controlled by the front panel Power button or the DC Trigger input labeled CD, DVD, Pre Amp, Digital Radio.
- High Current Switch Delayed Bank 3: Two switched, high current outlets controlled by the front panel power button or DC Trigger input labeled Receiver, Sub/Amp.
- Voltage Sense Trigger Input: 3.5mm mono mini-plug which connects to a remote trigger device that uses a DC output to trigger a startup/shutdown sequence.
- LAN Jacks: Two RJ-45 inputs and RJ-45 output for 10/100 baseT Ethernet lines.
- Phone Jacks: One RJ-11 input and one RJ-11 output for standard telephone lines.
- Coaxial Jacks: 3 pairs of bidirectional treaded female F-type coax terminals
- Ground Lug: Gold-plated binding post that provides a common grounding point for equipment with separate ground leads.
- Line Voltage: 120VAC, 60Hz
- Maximum Current Rating: 15A
- UL 1449 Surge Suppression Rating: 500V
- Protection Modes: L-N, L-G, N-G
- Initial Clamping Level: 200V peak
- Joule Rating: 1875 Joules
- Peak Impulse Current: 60,000A
- EMI/RFI Noise Filtration:
- Bank 1: Up to -82dB (100KHz-2MHz)
- Bank 2: Up to -80dB (100KHz-2MHz)
- Bank 3 (High Current): Up to 70dB (100KHz-2MHz)
- Over-voltage Shutoff Threshold: 142V (+/-5)
- Under-voltage Shutoff Threshold:90V (+/-2)
DC Trigger Input:
- Jacks: 3.5mm (1/8") mono mini-plug
- Voltage And Polarity: 3-24V DC, bidirectional
- Current Requirement: 4.5mA @ 3V, 58mA @ 24V
- Clamping Level: 50V
- Connectors: RJ-45
- Wires Protected: 8 wires
- Jacks: USB-A
- Power Delivery: 500mA @ 5VDC
- Clamping Level: 260V
- Capacitance: approximately 30pf
- Suppression Modes: metallic and longitudinal
- Connections: RJ-11
- Wires Protected: 2 wires (4&5)
Universal Cable and Satellite Protection:
- Clamping Level: 75V
- Insertion Loss: <0.5dB
- Bandwidth: 0MHz - 2.2GHz
- Connections: Gold-plated female F-type
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.