Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Space-saving surge suppressor for a powered subwoofer
Item #: 299MD2RCA
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Panamax MD2-RCA by Crutchfield's Steve Kindig
The compact MD2-RCA is specially designed to provide complete protection for your powered subwoofer. A subwoofer is often placed away from the equipment rack, requiring that you plug your receiver into one AC outlet while plugging your subwoofer into a different outlet. You will also need to connect an RCA cable to carry the audio signal from the receiver to the sub. This creates a wired path between the two AC outlets, allowing harmful electrical surges and spikes to travel back and forth.
Panamax' MD2-RCA offers a clever, convenient solution. It has a protected AC outlet to provide safe, clean power for your subwoofer, plus protected RCA inputs and outputs. Also included is a separate module with its own RCA inputs and outputs that is designed to be placed with your components you connect the two units with an RCA patch cable. So now, the audio signal path between your receiver and subwoofer is protected. The RCA module should be grounded to the ground lug found on Panamax line conditioners.
What's in the Box:
- Two AC outlet surge protector
- Removable/paintable front-panel (installed)
- RCA module
- Machine screw
- 4 Wire-ties
- Installation Instructions
- 2 side-mounted AC power outlets (always on)
- Protect or Disconnect circuitry safeguards equipment against all surges (disconnects AC power in the event of a lightning strike or other "catastrophic" surge)
- EMI/RFI noise filtering for clean power
- 3 protected RCA line in/out jacks on main unit
- 3 RCA line in/out jacks on separate module for placement with components
- 3-3/8"W x 5-5/8"H x 1-5/8"D
- lifetime $100,000 connected equipment warranty
- lifetime product warranty
Features and Specs
|Total AC Outlets||2|
|Powerline Network Compatible||No|
|Connected Equipment Guarantee||$100,000|
Protect or Disconnect Circuitry: The Panamax MD2-RCA Surge Protector's exclusive "Protect or Disconnect" circuitry safeguards your equipment against all surges. In the event of a catastrophic surge such as lightning, the MD2-RCA completely disconnects AC power to your connected equipment.
Two AC Outlets: The two 3-prong AC outlets are turned 90-degress from one another to accommodate different style plugs or transformers. One plug is located on the left-side, while the other plug is located on the right-side.
Right-Angle AC Plug: The Panamax MD2-RCA Surge Protector features an integrated right-angle 3-prong AC plug which plugs directly into an AC wall outlet.
Noise Filtration Circuit: The Panamax MD2-RCA Surge Protector utilizes a Noise Filtration Circuit (EMI/RFI) to remove noise and provide clean power.
RCA Line-Level Protection: The Panamax MD2-RCA also protects your equipment from electrical surges that travel over low voltage RCA lines through its 3 pairs of RCA signal line connectors and RCA module.
Note: The unit's RCA signal line connectors can be used with mono and stereo audio signals, as well as composite and component video signals.
Two Diagnostic Lights: Two Panamax MD2-RCA is equipped with two Diagnostic Lights (LED) - Power On/Protection OK and Line Fault.
- Power On/Protection OK: This LED (blue) indicates the power is on, surge protector is functioning properly, and all connected equipment is protected.
- Line Fault: If this LED is lit (red), it indicates an improperly wired outlet.
Paintable Cover: The MD2-RCA's removable front-cover is paintable to ensure a seamless fit with almost any décor.
- Protection Modes: L-N, L-G, N-G
- UL 1449 Rating: 330V
- Voltage Protection Rating: L-N 400V, L-G 500V, N-G 400V
- Single Pulse Energy Dissipation: 1350 Joules
- Response Time: <1 ns
- Peak Impulse Current: 60,000 A
- Nominal Discharge Current: 3,000 A
- Maximum Current Rating: 15A (1800 W)
- Line Voltage: 120 VAC, 50/60 Hz
- Initial Clamping: 200V
- EMI/RFI Noise Filtration: 50 dB (100kHz - 1MHz)
- Clamping Level: 8V
- Attenuation: <0.06dB from 10Hz-6Mhz
- Connectors: Female RCA
$100,000 Limited Connected Equipment Protection Warranty: Panamax will replace or repair equipment that is damaged by an AC line surge while connected to a properly installed Panamax surge protector (up to $100,000).
Lifetime Product Warranty: The surge protector shall be free of any defects in design, materials, or workmanship; and Panamax will repair or replace any defective unit.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.