Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Power line conditioner and surge protector
Our take on the Panamax SP8-AV by Crutchfield's Ralph Graves
Guard your home theater system against harmful spikes and power fluctuations with the Panamax SP8-AV. This surge suppressor also filters out the RF (radio frequency) and electromagnetic interference that can degrade your system's performance.
The SP8-AV comes with eight outlets, each conveniently spaced to allow for bulky transformers. A set of coaxial input/output jacks protects your cable, antenna, or digital satellite TV connections. There's also a protected telephone line input/output.
The surge suppressor reacts in less than a nanosecond during a spike, breaking the connection to keep your equipment safe. The 6-ft. power cord's right-angle plug hugs the wall, for an easy fit behind a chair or sofa.
If you care about your equipment, this is a sound investment. The warranty that protects your investment in the event of failure is worth it alone, nevermind the clean power it will send to your setup. No brainer.
Kasey, Seattle, WA
What's in the Box:
- Surge protector with attached 6' power cord
- Installation Instructions (English/French/Spanish)
- Warranty sheet (English/Spanish/French)
- 8 protected AC power outlets
- Protect or Disconnect circuitry
- EMI/RFI noise filtering for clean power
- 1 set of coaxial RF input/output connectors for cable TV or antenna connections
- 1 set of phone line input/output jacks
- 6-ft. power cord with right-angle plug
- 1125-joule protection
- response time: less than 1 nanosecond
- 11-7/16"W x 1-13/16"H x 4-15/16"D
- warranty: lifetime on SP8-AV
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- lifetime $50,000 connected equipment warranty (covers equipment damaged by an AC or signal line surge while connected to properly installed Panamax surge protector); valid only in the United States and Canada
Panamax SP8-AV Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Total AC Outlets||8|
|Powerline Network Compatible||No|
|Connected Equipment Guarantee||$50,000|
Overview: The Panamax SP8-AV Surge Protector features 8 AC outlets controlled by the unit's power switch. The SP-AV also provides protection for coaxial and telephone connections. In addition, this surge protector is equipped with 2 diagnostic LEDs.
Surge Protection: The Panamax SP8AV eliminates voltage irregularities and protects your AV system from catastrophic surges.
Lifetime $50,000 Connected Equipment Warranty: Panamax will replace or repair equipment that is damaged by an AC or signal line surge while connected to a properly installed Panamax surge protector (up to $50,000).
8 AC Outlets: The 8 AC outlets provide power protection with transformer spacing between outlets.
Power Cord: The surge protector features an attached 6 ft power cord with a right-angle, 45-degree offset three-prong plug.
- Bank 1: The four AC outlets along the top (numbered 1 to 4)
- Bank 2: The four AC outlets along the side (numbered 5 to 8)
- Ant/CATV: Coaxial line input and output (gold-plated, threaded, female F-Connectors)
- Telephone: One telephone line input and telephone output (RJ-11 connection)
- On/Off Switch: Turns all the outlets On and Off
- Power On/Protection OK: Green LED, indicates the surge protector is functioning properly and all equipment is protected
- Ground OK: Green LED, indicates the wall outlet is properly wired and grounded
AC Power Specifications:
- Initial Clamping Level: 200 Volts Peak, 141 Volts RMS
- UL 1449 Suppression Rating: 330 Volts
- Protection Modes: L-N, L-G, N-G
- Maximum Current Rating: 15A (1800 W)
- EMI/RFI Noise Filtration: 45 dB (100kHz to 1 MHz)
- Response Time: Less than 1 nanosecond
- Single Pulse Energy Dissipation: 1125 Joules
- Peak Impulse Current: 60,000 amperes
Telephone and Cable Satellite Circuit Specifications:
- Telephone Clamping Level: 260 Volts
- Capacitance: 30pf (approx)
- Suppression Modes: Metallic and Longitudinal
- Wires Protected: 2 wires (3, 4)
- Ant/CATV Clamping Level: 75 Volts
- Frequency Range: 0 MHz-2.2 GHz
- Insertion Loss: Less than 1 dB
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Product reviews from the Crutchfield Labs
by Erica S.
When Crutchfield designer Erica learned that one of her roommates would be moving, she decided to take the opportunity to set up a home office. She wanted a clean
Why did you buy this?
When I called to if tech support could help with a hum on my old Bose Companion 3, the tech suggested a surge suppressor with a line level conditioner when I plugged the unit directly in to the wall and the hum was louder. I checked your site and found this one as reasonably priced, and also learned that the warranty is only in effect when purchased from a certified retailer. It was a no-brainer for me. I hope it gets rid of the hum!!!! [ Mare May 23, 2017 ]
For surge protection for a sound system [ Thomas May 03, 2017 ]
Originally thought I would buy the much more expensive surge protector that incorporates line conditioning, but a little research convinced me that I did not need the conditioning feature. [ Jack Mar 03, 2017 ]
Needed a new surge protector [ Cecil Feb 14, 2017 ]
Offers line conditioning/filtering AND is a great surge protector [ David Dec 29, 2016 ]
Recommended by a friend [ DANNY Dec 06, 2016 ]
recommended [ MARY E Nov 28, 2016 ]
Recommended by many audiophiles and friends. Great value for what is minimally required without extra bells, whistles. [ BRADLEY Nov 28, 2016 ]
Recommended by technical staff. [ Tyler Nov 28, 2016 ]
Based on reviews and pricing [ SHERYL Nov 28, 2016 ]
Recommendation of rep. [ Ted Nov 21, 2016 ]
I have invested a lot lately on my home system and I wanted some good protection against electrical noise and the simple fact I wanted A offset plug on my power supply. Already installed a in wall protection system and this outlet has what I need for everything I am working on. [ david Nov 20, 2016 ]
I have a lot of $$$$invested.in my audio.equipment. ro have it gone or blown in a flash. Plus crutch shipsfast.and panamax.is great quality. [ Valachovic Nov 15, 2016 ]
Quality and price point. [ Michael Nov 09, 2016 ]
to help protect my gear and condition my power [ dhaval Nov 04, 2016 ]
SUGGESTION OF ADVISOR [ NICK A Oct 15, 2016 ]
Goof reviews online for this brand. [ Don Sep 15, 2016 ]
This was sold as part of a bundle offered for sale when buying a new receiver. I did not need/want the third part of your bundle the Logitech universal remote but I DID NEED the first two - HDMI Cables and Surge Protector - so I liked the surge protector because it's got not only 8 protected 110 volt outlets but protected phone line and coaxial TV lines, plus filtering of RF Noise not to mention 45 + 5 STAR reviews!! Also lifetime warranty (plus $50K insurance also lifetime) sounds well made! [ Don Sep 06, 2016 ]
Recommended by Crutchfield expert. [ James Aug 14, 2016 ]
Top seller. [ ALAN Jul 21, 2016 ]
Excellent reviews and the price was right for me. [ Leonard Jul 06, 2016 ]
needed it for my computer [ WILLIAM Jul 02, 2016 ]
Features and reviews. [ JERRY Jun 30, 2016 ]
This is a very good product. [ Jose Jun 17, 2016 ]
Based on the reviews, i thought this would be a good option to protect my equipment. [ Guest Jun 01, 2016 ]
Dolly recommended it! Dolly's Bio: http://www.crutchfield.com/Support/Bio.aspx?bio=131 [ Chris May 02, 2016 ]
I needed more than 6 outlets and wanted some spacing as well. The Coax feature was good as well [ Chris Mar 01, 2016 ]
Excellent protection, super affordable, outstanding warranty, and equipment replacement if it fails, which it never does. [ Thomas J. Jan 12, 2016 ]
The other user comments helped me decide on this particular surge protector/noise cleaner for our television system. [ Patricia Jan 07, 2016 ]
Its simple I needed the protection [ Scott Dec 04, 2015 ]