Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
28" 720p LED-LCD HDTV
Item # 30528H4000 | MFR # 28H4000
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Samsung UN28H4000 by Crutchfield's Steve Kindig
New screen size, same crisp picture
If you don't quite have the space for a 32" TV, the next best option may be Samsung's 28" UN28H4000. Its advanced LED backlight delivers superior picture contrast, and you'll be impressed by this model's wide, accurate color palette. The picture is big enough to hold your attention, but the slim panel depth and skinny bezel minimize its physical presence. This TV is incredibly energy-efficient, too.
Inputs for your favorite sources
The UN28H4000 provides two HDMI inputs and a component video input for connecting your high-definition gear. You'll also find a USB input for plugging in a camera or thumb drive — it's like having an oversized digital photo frame whenever you need it.
Does everything it's supposed to. Very nice picture. Recommended
LNash, Hickory, NC
What's in the Box:
- 28" LED-LCD TV
- 5' AC power cord
- Pedestal base
- Pedestal neck
- Wireless remote control (AA59-00785A)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Seven 4mm x 12mm screws
- Cable clamp
- User Manual
- Quick Start Guide
- Important Safety Precautions
- Support Options
- 27.5" screen (measured diagonally)
- glossy screen, black bezel and cabinet
- tuner receives over-the-air HDTV broadcasts (antenna required)
- QAM cable TV tuner (subscription required to receive cable channels contact your local service provider for details)
- LED edge backlight for high picture contrast
- 60Hz refresh rate plus backlight scanning for blur reduction
- built-in stereo speakers (5 watts x 2)
- illuminated remote control
- meets ENERGY STAR® requirements
Connections and Dimensions:
- 3 A/V inputs, including:
- 2 HDMI
- 1 component video (selectable component/composite)
- RF input for antenna/cable signals
- USB input for connecting a camera or thumb drive
- optical digital audio output (may only pass 2-channel audio from HDMI-connected sources)
- minijack headphone output
- detachable stand (stand "footprint" is 12-1/4"W x 6-7/16"D)
- wall-mountable (bracket not included)
- 25-5/16"W x 15-5/8"H x 2-3/4"D (17-1/8"H x 6-7/16"D on stand)
- weight: 9 lbs. with stand; 8.2 lbs. without stand
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor carry-in service
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Samsung UN28H4000 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
LED Edge-Lighting: Samsung's LED Edge-Lighting technology allows for a high dynamic contrast ratio and ultra-sharp blacks by allowing multiple LEDs to turn on an off automatically based on the image. LED Edge-Lighting also provides more natural color representation and deep reds and greens, because Samsung uses white LEDs that produce 105% of the broadcast color gamut. The television's white LEDs are arranged along the left and right edges of the screen and a proprietary light guide is used to focus its luminance inwards towards the middle of the screen for a more uniform brightness. Overall, this LED Backlight system produces contrast with stronger blacks and whites, and greater subtlety of every gradation in between.
Clear Motion Rate 120: Clear Motion Rate (CMR) is Samsung's more comprehensive and accurate measure for how well the LED-LCD TV can display fast-moving images. Previously, motion clarity was expressed simply by the refresh rate, measured in Hz. CMR, however, takes into account all three factors that contribute to motion clarity: panel refresh rate (60Hz), image processor speed and backlight technology. CMR is measured by determining the thinnest line a TV can display in a moving image. The thinner the line, the higher the CMR rating, and the clearer the picture you'll enjoy on the screen.
Wide Color Enhancer Plus + Motion Lighting: With Wide Color Enhancer Plus, you'll witness a wider spectrum of colors on the TV screen, just like the director intended. You'll enjoy enriched colors while watching your favorite movies, and shows, even if it's older, non-HD content. The TV automatically adjust the brightness of the screen in response to the brightness of the room. In bright light, the screen brightens. In dim light, the screen dims.
720p Resolution: The LED-LCD television displays all inputs at a resolution of 720p (1366 x 768 ). The television's HDMI and component video inputs will accept 1080p (24/60Hz), 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i video signals.
- HDMI (v.1.3): The Samsung H4000 series LED-LCD TV features two HDMI 1.3 inputs. In addition, any HDMI input can be used to connect a PC to this TV.
- Component Video: The Samsung H4000 series LED-LCD TV features a single component video input. The TV's component video input can also be used as a composite video input (480i only).
Note: The TV has built-in over-the-air HDTV (ATSC) and Digital Cable (QAM) tuners with an RF-coaxial input, so you don't need a separate set-top box to receive and decode over-the-air HDTV/SDTV or unencrypted Digital Cable signals.
Picture Control: You can make the following adjustments for an optimum picture.
- Picture Sizes: You can choose one of the following
- 16:9: Sets the picture to 16:9 wide mode.
- Zoom 1: Vertically enlarges the size of the picture and allows you to move the enlarged picture using the arrows on the remote.
- Zoom 2: Vertically enlarges the size of the picture more than Zoom 1 and allows you to move the enlarged picture using the arrows on the remote.
- Wide Fit: Proportionally enlarges the picture to fit the entire screen without changing the aspect ratio.
- 4:3: Sets the picture to 4:3 normal mode with pillars on the left and right of the screen.
- Screen Fit: See the full image with no resizing when HDMI (720p/1080i/180p) or Component (1080i/1080p) signals are inputted.
- Smart View 1/2: Reduces the 16:9 picture by 50% (1) or 25% (2).
- Picture Modes: Picture Modes apply preset adjustments
to the picture.
- Dynamic: increases the brightness of the screen (suitable for bright rooms)
- Standard: suitable for a normal environment
- Natural: useful for reducing eye strain
- Movie: darkens the screen and reduces glare (appropriate for dark rooms)
- Entertain: sharpens images for a more dynamic viewing experience (only available when connected to a computer)
- Manual Picture Settings: The TV has several options for
manually adjusting the picture quality.
- Backlight: adjusts the brightness of the LED backlight
- Contrast: increases or decreases the contrast between dark and light areas of the picture
- Brightness: adjusts the brightness level of the picture (not as effective as Backlight setting)
- Sharpness: sharpens or dulls the edges of objects
- Color: adjusts the color saturation of the picture
- Tint (G/R): adjusts the amount of green and red in a picture
- Advanced Picture Settings: The TV also offers more
advanced picture adjustments for fine tuning.
- Dynamic Contrast: adjusts the screen contrast so that the optimal contrast is provided
- Black Tone: adjusts the black level on the screen to adjust the screen depth
- Flesh Tone: adjusts the amount of red in skin tones
- RGB Only Mode: displays the Red, Green, and Blue color for making find adjustments to the hue and saturation
- Color Space: adjusts the range of colors available to create the image (Auto/Native)
- White Balance: adjusts the color temperature for more natural picture colors
- Gamma: adjusts the primary color (red, green, blue) intensity
- Picture Options: Additional picture options provide you
with a better viewing experience.
- Color Tone: adjusts the overall color tone of the televisions using one of four presets: Cool, Normal, Warm 1, Warm 2
- Digital Clean View: if the broadcast signal received by the TV is weak, you can activate the Digital Clean View feature to reduce any static and ghosting that may appear on the screen
- MPEG Noise Filter: reduces MPEG noise to provide an improved picture
- HDMI Black Level: select the black level on the screen to adjust the screen depth when you have a component connected via HDMI to the television
- LED Clear Motion: removes drag from fast scenes with a lot of movement to provide a clear picture
Note: You can adjust and store Picture Settings for each external device connected to the TV or apply the settings to all inputs and sources.
Film & Game Modes: The television provides Film & Game modes.
- Film Mode: The TV can be set to automatically sense and process film signals from all sources and adjust the picture from optimum quality. Film mode is supported in TV, AV, Component (480i/1080i), and HDMI (480i/1080i).
- Game Mode: When connecting the television to a game console, you can enjoy a more realistic gaming experience when selecting Game Mode.
SRS TruSurround HD: SRS TruSurround HD solves the problem of playing 5.1 multichannel content over two speakers. SRS TruSurround HD delivers a compelling, virtual surround sound experience through any two-speaker playback system, including the internal television speakers. It is fully compatible with all multichannel formats.
5-Band EQ + Sound Modes: You can manually adjusts the TV's built-in 5-band EQ (100 Hz, 300 Hz, 1 kHz, 3 kHz, and 10 kHz) for a more customized sound; or simply choose from the following Preset Sound Modes:
- Standard: Selects the normal sound mode.
- Music: Emphasizes music over voices.
- Movie: Provides the best sound for movies.
- Clear Voice: Emphasizes voices over other sounds.
- Amplify: Amplify mode is for people who have difficulty hearing.
Auto Volume: Auto Volume automatically adjusts the volume of the desired channel, lowering the sound output when the modulation signal is high or raising the sound output when the modulation signal is low. This reduces the difference in volume when changing channels. The Auto Volume feature can be set to Normal, Night or Off.
Audio Outputs: The Samsung LED-LCD television provides a digital audio output and headphone jack.
- Digital Audio: The optical (toslink) digital output terminal will output Dolby Digital/DTS (when available) or 2 channel PCM. The digital optical output terminal only sends an audio signal in Dolby Digital/DTS when receiving Dolby Digital/DTS surround sound from a digital broadcast channel through the tuner, network apps, and USB ports on the LED-LCD TV. The optical digital audio output will only output in 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via HDMI or RCA.
- Headphone Jack: The TV is fitted with a rear-panel 3.5mm headphone jack to connect a set of headphones for private listening (not suitable for connecting a soundbar speaker).
ConnectShare: ConnectShare enables you to view photo and movie files, as well as listen to audio files saved on a USB Mass Storage Class device (MTP: Media Transfer Protocol is not supported) using the television's USB (type-A) port. Files must be formatted in FAT or NTFS. The TV can recognize up to 4,000 files and folders (2,000 files per folder).
- Video Playback: The TV supports the following Video formats (MPEG, DivX, XviD, & H.264) up to a maximum resolution of 1920 x 1080. Movie files are displayed in a folder and title list in either date or alphabetical order. The TV offers Play, Pause, Search, and Resume playback functions for compatible video files stored on a USB mass storage device.
- Still Image Playback: The TV supports JPEG still image files with a maximum resolution up to 15360 x 8640. JPEG still image files can be viewed as a slide show with background music or as a thumbnail view. Still images can also viewed full-screen and zoomed or rotated.
- Audio Playback: The TV supports MP3 audio files with a frequency rate of 32/44.1/48 kHz. MP3 music files are displayed in a folder and track list, and can be sorted by Artist, Album, or Genre. Music files can be repeated or shuffled in a selected folder.
Wireless Remote: The supplied remote control is designed to operate the Samsung LED-LCD television and your connected Samsung Blu-ray player. The remote's buttons are backlit and will light up with a press of a button. This remote control has Braille points on the Power, Channel, Volume, and # 5 buttons for the visually impaired.
Firmware/Software Updates: Firmware/software upgrades can be performed by downloading the latest firmware/software updates from Samsung's Support Site to a USB thumbdrive.
5-Way Joy Stick: The television is equipped with a 5-way "joy stick" like button on the rear-panel that lets you control the TV without the remote control.
Program Rating Lock: The Program Rating Lock feature automatically locks out programs that are deemed inappropriate for children. You can block TV program based on their ratings and Movies based on their MPAA rating, so you have more control over what your children watch. The Program Rating Lock function is protected by a 4-digit PIN.
Closed Captions (CC): The TV provides Analog Closed Captions and Digital Closed Captions. The Digital CC offers customizable text, font, and size. The Caption feature does not work for Component and HDMI input sources.
ENERGY STAR Compliant with ECO Settings: The Samsung LED-LCD TV is ENERGY STAR compliant and provides ECO settings to reduce the TV's power consumption and cut-down on energy costs.
- Eco Sensor: Samsung's unique Eco light sensor measures the intensity of the room's light and automatically calibrates the brightness of the image on the screen. In a sun-filled environment, the screen gets brighter and in dim surroundings, the intensity is reduced. This feature optimizes the viewing experience while also saving you energy.
- Energy Saver: This feature adjust the brightness of the TV in order to reduce power consumption. When watching TV at night, set the Energy Saver feature to High to reduce eye fatigue as well as power consumption. You can set this feature to High, Medium, Low, or Picture Off (sound remains on).
- No Signal Standby: The TV will automatically switch to standby mode, if no picture is being received for a predetermined set amount of time (15, 30, or 60 minutes).
- Auto Power Off: The TV will be automatically turn off after 4 hours of being left idle to prevent overheating.
Timers: The Samsung H4000 series LED-LCD TV offers On/Off and Sleep timers for your convenience.
- On/Off Timer: The three On/Off timers allow you to program the television to turn itself on and off by selecting a specific on time and a specific off time. An On/off timer can be set to repeat only once, everyday, Mon-Fri, Mon-Sat, or Sat-Sun. You can also choose the On Timer's content (TV, USB, or Antenna) and volume. The on and off timers work independently of one another.
- Sleep Timer: The sleep timer switches the television off after a specified amount of time. The sleep timer can be set to 30, 60, 90, 120, 150, or 180 minutes.
- Auto Protection Time: If the screen remains idle with a still image for a certain period of time (2, 4, 8, 10 hours) defined by the user, the TV's built-in screen saver is activated to prevent the formation of host images on the screen.
Self Diagnosis: The Samsung H4000 series LED-LCD TV also provides a Self Diagnosis menu which allows you to check the television for picture, sound, and signal problems.
- Picture Test: Use to check for picture problems. If the problem appears in the test picture, select "Yes" and follow the directions on the screen.
- Sound Test: Use the built-in melody sound to check for sound problems. If the problem occurs during the test, select "Yes" and follow the directions on the screen.
- Signal Test: An HD digital channel's reception quality is either perfect or the channels are unavailable. Adjust your antenna to increase signal strength.
Pedestal Stand: The TV is shipped with the pedestal stand unattached. The pedestal stand attaches to the television using the supplied hardware. The pedestal stand does not swivel. The television weighs 9.0 lbs with the stand.
Wall Mounting: The TV has four threaded inserts on the back for use with an optional wall-mount bracket. The spacing of the mounting holes is 100mm (h) x 100mm (v). The threaded inserts require M4 (4mm) machine screws (not supplied). The television weighs 8.2 lbs without the stand.
Note: When mounting the TV on the stand or a wall (with optional bracket) leave 4" of clearance on each side of the television and 4" above/below the television for adequate ventilation.
Detachable AC Power Cord: The Samsung H4000 series LED-LCD TV comes with a 5' detachable AC power cord. The AC power cord sits 0.25" out from the rear-panel. The AC power cord is fitted with a right-angle AC plug that sits 0.9375" from the wall.
Kensington Lock: When mounting the monitor in a public place, you can secure it with an optional anti-theft device called a Kensington Lock (sold separately). This TV has a slot on the rear-panel to accommodate a Kensington Lock device.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
2 questions already asked
Don't know; it is mounted in the kitchen where I can't easily see if a jack exists. Seems like Crutchfield could have answered this in less than a tenth of a second. [ linda Oct 29, 2014 ]
Yes, stereo mini-jack on the back [ John Oct 28, 2014 ]
It has a minijack headphone output. [ STEVE B Oct 27, 2014 ]
Yes it does have a headphone jack.. Download owners manual from Crutchfield for features and specifications. [ brian Oct 27, 2014 ]
I am away from the home that has this TV. I just looked it up and the manual says there is a headphone jack. I cant vouch though [ Peter Oct 27, 2014 ]
Nope. Only has a digital audio out [ Jeffrey Oct 27, 2014 ]
Sorry Lee B: I don't have that answer since just after purchasing the TV I left the US for a couple of months and haven't had time to enjoy/try it out. I'm sure it can be connected to a DVD player but since I don't have one I don't know. [ CATHERINE Aug 14, 2014 ]
yes you can. it has 2 HDMI inputs and a RGB input. [ Jimmy Aug 14, 2014 ]
Yes. I think using it in an RV would be fine. It has a small foot print. it also had multiple input HDM! connections so you can an hook up a DVD player or other device [ Peter Aug 14, 2014 ]
Yes - it has multiple hdmi ports [ Jeffrey Aug 14, 2014 ]
Yes. It can be connected through either the HDMI or the composite/component connections. [ brian Aug 14, 2014 ]