Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
55" 4K Ultra High Definition TV
Item # 30555U8550 | MFR # 55U8550
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Samsung UN55HU8550 by Crutchfield's Steve Kindig
4K Ultra HD TV — 4 times the picture detail of 1080p
Now that Ultra High Definition has established itself as the next TV standard, TV makers are giving us more models to choose from. Samsung's sleek 55" UN55HU8550 will appeal to those who prefer a true flat screen to the new curved-screen designs. Naturally, you get the super-sharp 3840 x 2160-pixel picture detail that makes 4K images look so stunning.
Ready for 4K content right now
Samsung made sure that this set's video processing and connections are as state-of-the-art as the screen. The UN55HU8550 is one of the first Ultra HD TVs to include “HEVC” decoding, which means it can display 4K Netflix® content with no additional gear needed. And this TV will be ready for what's coming further in the future, thanks to Samsung's Smart Evolution feature, which provides a goof-proof way to upgrade the TV's inputs, outputs, and processing brains. Think of it as an insurance policy that will keep UN55HU8550 owners up to date on Ultra HD format standards as they evolve.
Samsung's UHD Video Pack media player.
Samsung's UHD Video Pack (sold separately) lets you instantly make the most of your Samsung Ultra HD TV. Only a little bigger than a smartphone, this 1-terabyte hard drive comes pre-loaded with several full-length movies and nature documentaries, all in spectacular full 4K resolution. Simply connect it to the TV using the supplied USB cable and start enjoying the best picture you've ever seen.
True 4K content will continue to be scarce for a while, but that won't keep you from enjoying a remarkable picture. Samsung made 4K upconversion a top priority as they developed the video processing circuitry for the UN55HU8550. Their UHD Upscaling automatically upconverts any signal to match the screen's 4K resolution. All of your current video sources — Blu-ray player, cable or satellite TV box, game console — will look better than ever.
Smart TV times 4
The Quad Screen feature divides this TV into four screens. Watch a golf tournament on one screen while searching the web for current standings on another. Then watch a video tutorial to master your swing while navigating your Smart TV panel on the fourth screen.
Tablets and smartphones can run circles around many older Smart TVs, but they can't do all the tricks that the UN55HU8550 can. Samsung's speedy quad core processor supports a new Multi-Link feature, which lets you place live TV side-by-side with other apps, like YouTube™ or a web browser — you can browse the web without having to interrupt what you're watching.
Besides surfing the web you can do things like multitask or use one app while downloading another. Whether your connection is wired or wireless, you can do a quick web search while you watch movies and TV shows, and enjoy TV while you chat with friends and family online. Along with built-in apps for services like Netflix®, Hulu Plus™, and YouTube™, you can download new ones from Samsung's large selection of apps.
Samsung's Galaxy phones and tablets add handheld viewing and control
Samsung's AllShare™ Play lets you wirelessly access and stream content from any compatible device. If you have a Galaxy S3 smartphone or Galaxy tablet, you can share movies, photos, and music via the UN55HU8550. Your Wi-Fi® network lets you do things like "toss" photos from your phone or tablet to the screen with the swipe of a finger. Or push streaming video like Netflix movies from device to screen.
Sending content from your phone to your TV is cool, and going TV-to-phone is even cooler. Just download Samsung's Smart View app and use the TV View feature to mirror whatever's on the UN55HU8550's screen on your Galaxy S3 phone or tablet. You can leave the room anytime without leaving your entertainment behind. Think of it as a whole-house TV system you can hold in your hand.
Great picture! The picture, although more clear, particularly closeup, is not quite as realistic as the plasma set it replaced. This set at 55" replaced a 50" set. Had I known how close you can sit to this set I would have gone for 60".
What's in the Box:
- 55" LED-LCD TV
- 5' AC power cord
- Pedestal base
- Pedestal neck
- Smart Touch remote control (BN59-01181A)
- IR remote control (BN59-011798)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 4 Pair of 3D glasses (SSG-5150GB)
- Four CR2025 3V batteries
- IR blaster
- Eight 4mm x 14mm screws
- Cleaning cloth
- User Manual
- Setup Guide
- Important Safety Precautions
- 3D Active Glasses User's Guide
- 54.6" screen (measured diagonally)
- glossy screen, black bezel and cabinet, silver T-Shape stand
- tuner receives over-the-air HDTV broadcasts (antenna required)
- QAM cable TV tuner (subscription required to receive cable channels contact your local service provider for details)
- DIRECTV 4K Ready DIRECTV subscribers with the Genie Whole-Home HD DVR can enjoy 4K service and full DVR features without an additional receiver
- Ultra High Definition TV with 4K screen resolution (3840 x 2160 pixels)
- HEVC for watching streamed 4K content from sources like Netflix® and Amazon Instant Video (requires Internet speed of at least 20Mbps)
- 3D TV (includes 4 pairs of active 3D glasses)
- LED edge backlight with Precision Black hardware-based local dimming and UHD Dimming software-based dimming for superb contrast and black levels
- Clear Motion Rate 1200 blur reduction (120Hz refresh rate plus backlight scanning)
- UHD Upscaling upconverts high-definition and standard-definition video content
- Internet-ready Smart TV with built-in web browser
- built-in Wi-Fi® to link to a wireless network
- quad-core processor for seamless web browsing and app multitasking
- Quad Screen multitasking lets you browse the web or stream a video while you watch TV
- AllShare video and music streaming from a DLNA-compatible Windows® PC
- MHL-compatible HDMI input for viewing photos/videos from a compatible smartphone on the TV's screen
- 2-way screen mirroring send content wirelessly from device-to-TV or TV-to-device with compatible smartphones and tablets
- built-in speaker system (10 watts x 6)
- two remotes: a touchpad remote with built-in microphone for voice control, plus a standard illuminated button-based IR remote
- free downloadable apps for iOS® and Android let you use a compatible smartphone or tablet as a remote control
- Anynet+ simplifies control of compatible Samsung components via the HDMI connection (HDMI-CEC)
Connections and Dimensions:
- 6 A/V inputs, including:
- 4 HDMI 2.0 (one input is HDCP 2.2 compatible for connecting to a 4K video source)
- 1 component video (selectable component/composite)
- 1 composite video
- RF input for antenna/cable signals
- optical digital audio output (may only pass 2-channel audio from HDMI-connected sources)
- stereo minijack output for connecting a sound bar or home stereo system
- Ethernet port for a wired connection to a home network
- 3 USB inputs for connecting a camera or thumb drive
- special port for future Smart Evolution upgrade
- detachable stand (stand "footprint" is 25"W x 10-11/16"D)
- wall-mountable (bracket not included)
- 48-5/16"W x 27-3/4"H x 2-1/4"D (29-7/16"H x 10-11/16"D on stand)
- weight: 46.5 lbs. with stand; 39.2 lbs. without stand
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor in-home service or pick-up for service
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Samsung UN55HU8550 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
Ultra-HD 4K Resolution w/ UHD Upscaling: The Samsung HU8550 series LED-LCD TV has a display resolution of 3,840 x 2,160 (4K) and will display all video at that resolution; regardless of input signal. The Ultra-HD TV even offers "HEVC" decoding, which means it'll be able to display 4K content from online movie & TV show providers (like Netflix). 4K provides 4x higher resolution than current 1080p high-definition TVs, ensuring a truly immersive experience for all your favorite movies and TV shows. UHD Upscaling delivers the complete Ultra-HD picture experience with a proprietary process including signal analysis, noise reduction, UHD upscaling, and detail enhancement to seamlessly upconvert SD, HD, or full-HD content to Ultra-HD-level picture quality.
Note: You can upgrade this HU8550 series LED-LCD TV with Samsung's One Connect Box (sold separately) to unlock new features and services offered by Samsung Electronics. With the One Connect Box from Samsung, you can update the TV with new software and technology that will adapt to future Ultra-HD standards and improve TV performance; faster speed, more content, more features. The One Connect Box simply plugs into the TV using a single proprietary cable.
LED Edge-Lighting w/ Local Dimming: Samsung's LED Edge-Lighting technology w/ UHD Dimming + Precision Black Local Dimming maximizes the contrast between lights and darks to create a picture that is as true-to-life as possible. The television's white LEDs are arranged along the left and right edges of the screen and a proprietary light guide is used to focus its luminance inwards towards the middle of the screen for a more uniform brightness.
- UHD Dimming: UHD Micro Dimming precisely scans an incredible amount of zones across the entire image and adjusts brightness to deliver deeper darks and brighter whites. It virtually eliminates the "halo" effect and image distortion, so you'll enjoy a crystal clear picture
- Precision Black Local Dimming: Experience sharper contrast with Precision Black Local Dimming. It dims LEDs behind the darkest area of the picture for greater contrast and darker blacks, while the brighter elements remain as bright as they should be.
Clear Motion Rate 1200: Clear Motion Rate (CMR) is Samsung's more comprehensive and accurate measure for how well the LED-LCD TV can display fast-moving images. Previously, motion clarity was expressed simply by the refresh rate, measured in Hz. CMR, however, takes into account all three factors that contribute to motion clarity: panel refresh rate, image processor speed and backlight technology. CMR is measured by determining the thinnest line a TV can display in a moving image. The thinner the line, the higher the CMR rating, and the clearer the picture you'll enjoy on the screen.
- Panel Refresh Rate (Hz): Samsung's screen refresh rate (120Hz) significantly improves motion detail and resolution by sampling the image more frequently, leading to smoother, more fluid movement.
- Image Processor (Auto Motion Plus): Samsung's proprietary Auto Motion Plus image processing technology is faster and more responsive than conventional image processors, as it interpolates intermediate frames to smooth out the image.
- LED Backlight Technology: Samsung's Edge-Lighting Backlight technology regulates output precisely in synchronization with the screen refresh to lessen the time it is lit, reducing ghosting and motion blur.
Auto Motion Plus: Auto Motion Plus removes blur and judder from scenes with large amounts of rapid movement to provide a clearer picture. Auto Motion Plus reduces blur so that action movies, sports and video games have enhanced clarity. Advanced panels and unique backlight technology combine with proprietary algorithms to reduce the response time and yield a more accurate image reproduction with faster onscreen motion. Auto Motion Plus can be set to Clear, Standard, Smooth, Custom, or Off.
Wide Color Enhancer Plus + Auto Depth Enhancer: With Wide Color Enhancer Plus, you'll witness a wider spectrum of colors on the TV screen, just like the director intended. You'll enjoy enriched colors while watching your favorite movies, and shows, even if it's older, non-HD content. Auto Depth Enhancer is innovative picture technology that analyzes regions of each image and automatically adjusts the contrast for a greater sense of depth. As a result, everything you watch has incredible detail and appears more natural.
Video Inputs: The Samsung Ultra-HD LED-LCD TV offers Ultra-HD, high-definition, and standard definition video inputs.
- HDMI 2.0: The Samsung LED-LCD TV features four HDMI 2.0
inputs to connect to your Blu-ray/DVD player, Satellite/Cable receiver, or
AV receiver. In addition, any HDMI input can be used to connect a PC to this
TV. The television's HDMI inputs will accept 3,840 x 2,160 (24/60Hz), 1080p
(24/60Hz), 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i video signals.
- HDCP 2.2: HDCP 2.2 is supported only by the TV's HDMI (MHL) input; HDCP is short for "High bandwidth Digital Content Protection" and is used for 4K video copyright protection for compatibility with 4K Blu-ray players and 4K Satellite/Cable providers.
- 4:4:4 Color Subsampling: All four HDMI inputs will support up to 4:4:4 chroma subsampling for full color data rendering of 4K video; however the HDMI (MHL) input is limited to 30 fps in 4:4:4 mode. 4:2:2 (60/30fps) and 4:2:0 (60fps) is also supported by the TV. With 4:4:4 color, luminance (brightness) and chroma (color) are sampled at the same rate, resulting in an RGB color palette as big as the video sampling rate for a video image with more total colors, plus greater color accuracy and detail. You must enable 4:4:4 & 4:2:2 color subsampling by turning on the "UHD Color" setting within the TV's on-screen menu.
- Analog: The Samsung LED-LCD TV features a single component video input which will accept 1080p (24/60Hz), 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i video signals. The TV also features one composite video input which support up to 480i only.
Note: The TV feature a single RF-type coaxial input for connecting an external indoor/outdoor antenna. The unit has built-in over-the-air HDTV (ATSC) tuner, so you don't need a separate set-top box to receive and decode over-the-air HDTV/SDTV or unencrypted Digital Cable signals (up to 1080i).
HDMI (MHL) Port: The HDMI 3 port is designed for the connection of select mobile phones and other portable electronic devices using the new MHL (Mobile High-Definition Link) standard. Simply plug your MHL compatible smartphone into the TV's HDMI 3 (MHL) port using the HDMI cable that is included with your mobile phone. MHL allows you to display full 1080p video and still images on the Samsung TV from your mobile smartphone. The TV's IR remote can be used to control basic playback functions (such as Play/Pause, Stop Fast Forward/Rewind, and Menu navigation). Your MHL compliant device will also charge while connected to the TV's HDMI 3 port. To find MHL-certified devices, go to www.mhlconsortium.org.
Ultra-HD 3D (4 Pair of Glasses Included): With Ultra-HD 3D you get 4x the resolution of Full HD 1080p while watching 3D. Samsung The TV utilizes Bluetooth-enabled active shutter glasses for an ultra 4K 3D viewing experience when coupled with a 3D source, such as a 3D-ready Blu-ray player or an HD 3D broadcast from satellite or cable providers (connected via HDMI 2.0). The Samsung LED-LCD TV automatically adjusts the overall picture to provide an optimal 3D effect. The Samsung 3D TV also offers a unique feature that allows you to intensify your 2D viewing experience by up-converting it to virtual 3D. In addition, you can adjust the overall 3D perspective, 3D image depth, and 3D brightness.
Note: Samsung 3D TV supports Ultra-HD 3D for 3840 x 2160p (24/30Hz), 1920 x 1080p (24/60Hz), 1920 x 1080i (60Hz), and 1280 x 720 (60Hz) video signals.
Multi-Link Screens: The Samsung HU8550 series LED-LCD TV supports Quad Screen and PIP.
- Quad Screen: Using Quad Screen, you can view four independent screens at once through this TV. You'll be able to enjoy live TV, video clips, and the web all at once. For example; you can watch your favorite golf tournament on one screen and search the web for current standings on another. Then watch a video tutorial to master your swing while navigating your Smart TV panel on the fourth screen. Using Quad Screen requires an Internet connection. You can listen to audio from one of the split-screens through the TVs speakers and audio from another split-screen through a pair of Bluetooth-paired headphones (sold separately). Certain TV features and apps may not be supported by Multi-Link Screen. <
- PIP (Picture-in-Picture): You can watch the TV's tuner and one external video source (component/HDMI) simultaneously). The component/HDMI source will be displayed as the main picture, while the TV channel will be displayed in a sub-screen, while which can be moved to each corner of the television's screen. You can switch the audio between the main screen and sub-screen.
Picture Control: You can make the following adjustments for an optimum picture.
- Picture Sizes: You can choose one of the following
- 16:9: Sets the picture to 16:9 wide mode.
- Zoom 1: Vertically enlarges the size of the picture and allows you to move the enlarged picture using the arrows on the remote.
- Zoom 2: Vertically enlarges the size of the picture more than Zoom 1 and allows you to move the enlarged picture using the arrows on the remote.
- Wide Fit: Proportionally enlarges the picture to fit the entire screen without changing the aspect ratio.
- 4:3: Sets the picture to 4:3 normal mode with pillars on the left and right of the screen.
- Screen Fit: See the full image with no resizing when HDMI (720p/1080i/180p) or Component (1080i/1080p) signals are inputted.
- Smart View 1/2: Reduces the 16:9 picture by 50% (1) or 25% (2).
- Picture Modes: Picture Modes apply preset adjustments
to the picture.
- Dynamic: increases the brightness of the screen (suitable for bright rooms)
- Standard: suitable for a normal environment
- Natural: useful for reducing eye strain
- Movie: darkens the screen and reduces glare (appropriate for dark rooms)
- Entertain: sharpens images for a more dynamic viewing experience (only available when connected to a computer)
- Manual Picture Settings: The TV has several options for
manually adjusting the picture quality.
- Backlight: adjusts the brightness of the LED backlight
- Contrast: increases or decreases the contrast between dark and light areas of the picture
- Brightness: adjusts the brightness level of the picture (not as effective as Backlight setting)
- Sharpness: sharpens or dulls the edges of objects
- Color: adjusts the color saturation of the picture
- Tint (G/R): adjusts the amount of green and red in a picture
- Advanced Picture Settings: The TV also offers more
advanced picture adjustments for fine tuning.
- Dynamic Contrast: adjusts the screen contrast so that the optimal contrast is provided
- Black Tone: adjusts the black level on the screen to adjust the screen depth
- Flesh Tone: adjusts the amount of red in skin tones
- RGB Only Mode: displays the Red, Green, and Blue color for making find adjustments to the hue and saturation
- Color Space: adjusts the range of colors available to create the image (Auto/Native)
- White Balance: adjusts the color temperature for more natural picture colors
- Gamma: adjusts the primary color (red, green, blue) intensity
- Picture Options: Additional picture options provide you
with a better viewing experience.
- Color Tone: adjusts the overall color tone of the televisions using one of four presets: Cool, Normal, Warm 1, Warm 2
- Digital Clean View: if the broadcast signal received by the TV is weak, you can activate the Digital Clean View feature to reduce any static and ghosting that may appear on the screen
- MPEG Noise Filter: reduces MPEG noise to provide an improved picture
- HDMI Black Level: select the black level on the screen to adjust the screen depth when you have a component connected via HDMI to the television
- Cinema Black: dims the top & bottom areas of the video image to provide a more immersive viewing experience (Movie mode only)
- Smart LED: controls the brightness of individual areas on the screen to maximize contrast automatically
- LED Clear Motion: removes drag from fast scenes with a lot of movement to provide a clear picture
- Motion Lighting: The TV automatically adjust the brightness of the screen in response to the brightness of the room. In bright light, the screen brightens. In dim light, the screen dims
Note: You can adjust and store Picture Settings for each external device connected to the TV or apply the settings to all inputs and sources.
Film & Game Modes: The television provides Film & Game modes.
- Film Mode: The TV can be set to automatically sense and process film signals from all sources and adjust the picture from optimum quality. Film mode is supported in TV, AV, Component (480i/1080i), and HDMI (480i/1080i).
- Game Mode: When connecting the television to a game console, you can enjoy a more realistic gaming experience when selecting Game Mode.
BD Wise: BD Wise Plus provides the optimal picture quality for Samsung DVD, Blu-ray, and Home Theater products which support BD Wise. When BD Wise is set to On, the TV's picture mode is automatically changed to the optimal resolution.
DNSE+ Processing: The Samsung LED-LCD TV employs DNSe+ processing which provides selectable custom settings for experiencing virtual surround sound with maximum bass response, dialog clarity, and 3D Audio for any source; including Blu-ray movies, TV programming, streaming, and games.
- Virtual Surround: The TV delivers a compelling, virtual surround sound experience through its two-speaker system.
- Dialog Clarity: This function allows you to increase the intensity of a voice over background music or sound effects so that dialogcan be heard more clearly.
- 3D Audio: 3D audio technology provides immersive sound that matches the pop-up effect of 3D Video by using perspective in the audio depth control. 3D Audio in only available while viewing 3D content.
Note: The speakers of this TV provide different sound images according to how you position the television. You can select between "Wall-Mount" or "Stand" to provide the best sound quality based on the television's placement.
5-Band EQ + Sound Modes: You can manually adjusts the TV's built-in 5-band EQ (100 Hz, 300 Hz, 1 kHz, 3 kHz, and 10 kHz) for a more customized sound; or simply choose from the following Preset Sound Modes - Standard (normal mode), Music (music mode), Movie (movie mode), Clear Voice (emphasizes voices), and Amplify (increases clarity for people who have difficulty hearing).
Audio Extras: The Samsung TV offers a variety of audio adjustments to meet your listening needs.
- Auto Volume: Auto Volume automatically adjusts the volume of the desired channel, lowering the sound output when the modulation signal is high or raising the sound output when the modulation signal is low. This reduces the difference in volume when changing channels. The Auto Volume feature can be set to Normal, Night or Off.
- Audio Delay: The Audio Delay function corrects audio/video mismatch, when watching TV or video, and listening to a digital audio output using an external device such as an AV receiver. You can adjust the audio delay from 0ms to 250 ms.
- Picture Off: You can turn the television's screen off and still listen to audio.
Audio Outputs: The Samsung LED-LCD television provides an analog and digital audio output.
- Digital Audio (w/ DTS Neo 2:5): The optical digital output terminal will output Dolby Digital/DTS (when available) or 2 channel PCM. The digital optical output terminal only sends an audio signal in Dolby Digital/DTS when receiving Dolby Digital/DTS surround sound from a digital broadcast channel through the tuner, network apps, and USB ports on the LED-LCD TV. The optical digital audio output will only output in 2ch stereo or a matrixed 5.1ch signal (DTS Neo 2:5) from sources connected to the TV via HDMI or RCA.
- Analog Audio: The television features a 3.5mm (minijack) audio output for connecting the television to an analog 2-channel receiver. You will need a minijack-to-RCA adapter (sold separately) to make a stereo RCA connection between the television and your soundbar speaker or AV receiver. The TV's analog audio output terminals will output 2ch audio from any of the television's source inputs.
ARC (Audio Return Channel): The Audio Return Channel within the television's HDMI 4 input enables the TV, via a single HDMI cable, to send audio data "upstream" to an A/V receiver; increasing user flexibility and eliminating the need for any separate S/PDIF audio connection. This feature allows audio to be sent from the television to your A/V receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio/video to the television. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to the TV. ARC allows audio from the TV tuner, Network connection, inserted USB device, HDMI inputs, or any analog connected device to be heard through your ARC compatible AV receiver via the television's HDMI ARC input. The audio from the TV's tuner, network connection, and USB port can pass as Dolby Digital or 2ch PCM. HDMI and analog connected devices will be output as 2ch PCM only.
Note: Both the television and the receiver must support ARC for this function to work properly. When connecting an A/V receiver that is compatible with Audio Return Channel (ARC), connect it to the TV's HDMI 4 input. If connecting a system that is incompatible Audio Return Channel (ARC), an additional audio connection via Digital Audio Out (Optical) is necessary.
SoundShare: The TV is compatible with the SoundShare feature found on some Samsung active soundbar speaker systems). SoundShare makes a wireless connection between the TV and the speaker system via Bluetooth. Once the two are paired, you can control the volume and mute the sound by using the remote control from the TV or the speaker system. If you change the soundbar speaker system from TV mode to another mode or turn it off, the TV audio will resume playing from the TV's speakers. SoundShare can be found on select Samsung active soundbar speaker systems (sold separately).
Samsung's Quad Core Processor: Samsung's Quad Core processing speeds allow you to perform multiple tasks at the same time, such as using an app while downloading another one. It also enables extremely faster web browsing and application access. Quad Core eliminates lag to give you a fluid browsing experience. It enables you to switch between apps, stream content, and multi-task faster. This extra power also provides faster page refreshing
Network Connection (wired/wireless): You can set up the Samsung HU8550 series LED-LCD TV so that it can access your home network and online Samsung Apps through your local area network (LAN) using a wired (RJ-45 Ethernet) or wireless connection (built-in WiFi). You can setup a wired network connection automatically or manually. You can setup the wireless network connection using these four methods; Automatic, Manual, WPS (PBC), or WPS (PIN). The TV's built-in WiFi supports IEEE 802.11A/B/G/N wireless LAN networks and WEP (open/shared), WPA-PSK (TKIP/AES), or WPA2-PSK network security; a dual-band Gigabit wireless-N router is recommended for 4K streaming.
Note: Samsung recommends a home network connection speed of at least 2.5 Mbps for standard definition, 10 Mbps for high definition, and 15 Mbps for ultra-high definition.
WiFi Direct: When using WiFi Direct, you can connect directly with other devices without using a wireless router. You'll be able to wirelessly transfer personal content (such as photos & videos) to the Samsung LED-LCD TV without connecting to your home network. WiFi Direct completely bypasses your WiFi access point/router, so it's easy to set up. Streaming of copy-protected content and other certain formats are not supported.
Smart Apps: Once you have connected the Samsung TV to your home network, you gain access to Smart Apps. Smart Apps lets you download for pay or free-of-charge applications and services to the Samsung HU8550 series LED-LCD TV. You can enjoy a variety of content from various downloaded applications; such as videos, music, photos, games, and news. Smart Apps has a growing collection of pay and free-of-charge online applications that connect you to some of your favorite online content. Visit Samsung's App Store for a complete list of available Samsung Apps.
- Movies & TV Shows: Watch movies and TV shows on Netflix, Vudu, HuluPlus, Amazon Instant Video, UltraFlix, & CinemaNow; plus trailers and snippets from a variety of video apps (like Flixter). HBO GO is also now available for XFINITY customers only.
- Music/Radio: Listen to online music and internet radio from Pandora, TuneIn, & vTuner, plus more.
- Social Networks: Share your thoughts and comments about a program on the air through social networking services, like Twitter & Facebook. You can post messages and comments in the same manner as you would using a computer. You also get access to YouTube & Picasa.
- News & Weather: Includes apps that provide information content; such as news (USA Today), weather (AccuWeather), and many more.
- Sports + Fitness: Variety of Fitness apps to help you stay healthy, plus Sports apps (like ESPN SC/MLB.TV) to keep you up to date on scores.
- Education & Kids: A recommended list for applications and content that is suitable for children; including education-based programs, cartoons, and games.
Note: The Link Service Accounts function lets you link your player to your accounts with Internet services (such as Twitter, Facebook, etc.) so that the player can log you into the service automatically when you start the app for that service.
4K Network Streaming: This Ultra-HD TV even offers "HEVC" decoding, which means it'll be able to display 4K content from online movie & TV show providers (like Netflix or UltraFlix). 4K network streaming requires a network speed of 15Mbps or greater. A wired Ethernet connection is recommended over a wireless WiFi connection for better performance. If you desire a WiFi connection, then use a dual-band Gigabit wireless-N router for 4K streaming. Make sure the Samsung television has the latest software/firmware updates installed.
Web Browser You can access the internet using the player's Web Brower application. You can search web pages using Google or Bing. You may enter a URL addresses or enter a keyword search. The player will archive your web browser history. You can also save "Favorite" web pages and create a "Home" page. The playback of Flash videos is also supported. The Web Browser is optimized to fill your connected TV's screen. Use a USB- or Bluetooth-enabled keyboard and mouse (both sold separately) for a more convenient web browsing experience.
Note: The browsing experience, however, may not be the same as it is on your computer. The Web Browser is not compatible with Java applications. E-commerce, for purchasing products online is not supported. ActiveX is not supported.
Skype Ready: Samsung's free Skype app on the Samsung LED-LCD TV lets you make video calls from the comfort of your living room. Using the TV's remote control, you can create free Skype accounts, log into existing accounts, and navigate via a simple Skype interface made for the big screen. You can make free Skype-to-Skype voice and video calls to friends and family, wherever they are in the world from the Samsung TV (separate Samsung TV Skype camera required, sold separately).
AllShare Services: The Samsung TV offers AllShare Cast screen mirroring and AllShare/DLNA wireless media streaming.
- AllShare Cast Screen Mirroring: AllShare Cast is a proprietary "screen mirroring" function which lets you wirelessly send the display from your compatible AllShare Cast Samsung mobile device to your TV. This allows you to view pictures and videos that are playing on your compatible Samsung smartphone or tablet on your TV screen. No wireless router or access point required.
- AllShare/DLNA Certified: The Samsung LED-LCD TV's AllShare function, along with its DLNA Certification allow you to watch videos (Divx/AVI/H.264/MPEG/MKV/MOV/WMV), photos (JPEG/PNG/BMP/MPO), and listen to music (MP3/WMA/AAC/FLAC/OGG) saved on your Windows PC (or other DLNA Certified media server) through the TV via its Ethernet (LAN) port or built-in WiFi (wireless). This eliminates the need to copy your photo, video, and music files to a separate USB storage device.
Note: For AllShare/DLNA, Windows PCs with XP and Vista installed require Samsung's PC Share Manager software, which can be downloaded for free from the Samsung Download Center. Not compatible with older Windows OS versions and Mac.
Triple USB Ports: The television is equipped with three USB (type-A) ports. There are two USB 2.0 ports - one is used for connecting a USB mass-storage-class device (5V/0.5A); the other is used to connect a TV camera or keyboard/mouse from Samsung. There is one USB 3.0 port which can connect to a USB hard-disk-drive (5V/1A). The USB 2.0 (5V/0.5A) and USB 3.0 ((5V/1A) ports let you view photo and movie files, as well as listen to audio files saved on a compatible USB device. Files must be formatted in FAT, exFAT, or NTFS. The TV can recognize up to 1,000 files per folder.
- Video Playback: The TV supports the following video file types; AVI, Divx, H.264, MPEG, MKV, MOV, and WMV. Movie files are displayed in a folder and title list in either date or alphabetical order. The TV offers Play, Pause, Search, and Resume playback functions for compatible video files stored on a compatible USB device.
- Still Image Playback: The TV supports the following still image file types; JPEG, PNG, BMP, or MPO. Still image files can be viewed as a slide show with background music or as a thumbnail view (up to 15 images). Still images can also viewed full-screen and zoomed or rotated.
- Audio Playback: The TV supports music files supports the following music file types; MP3, WMA, AAC, AIFF, ALAC, FLAC, and OGG. Music files are displayed in a folder and track list, and can be sorted by Artist, Album, or Genre. Music files can be repeated or shuffled in a selected folder.
Firmware/Software Updates: The television's Software Upgrade menu allows you to upgrade the TV's software & firmware for performance improvements & additional services. You can upgrade in four ways; USB, Internet, Alternative Software, or Standby Mode. The tested television contained firmware version T-GFP8AKUC-1001.2 (as of 4/10/14). Visit the Samsung Download Center for the latest Firmware/Software updates.
Smart Hub: This TV features Smart Hub, an interactive multi-purpose menu system. With Smart Hub, you can surf the web, download applications, and stay in touch with family and friends through social networking services. In addition, you can enjoy photo, video & music files stored on external storage devices. The new Smart Hub interface organizes your entertainment and content into 5 convenient panels.
- Games: You can view all game apps provided by Smart Hub and download and play the games you select.
- Apps: Apps offers an extensive collection of free and paid news, sports, weather, and entertainment content you can directly download to and enjoy on your TV. The Apps menu has a number of sub-menus including Most Popular, What's new, and Categories to narrow down your search.
- On TV: Check a listing of TV programs that are currently airing and are scheduled to be aired. The program you are currently watching display in a small sub-window.
- Movies & TV Shows: Purchase and watch movies and TV shows from an online service provider. You can browse content by Favorites, Featured, Movies, TV Shows, Trailers, or Trending.
- Multimedia: Play back photo, video, and music files from an external USB or network storage device.
Content Discovery: The TV offers unique ways to search and access your favorite and new content from the TV's tuner and network apps.
- Recommendations: Receive personalized TV and movie recommendations based on your own preferences and what's popular and trending. You can display program recommendation for different times of the day.
- Favorite Channels: You can designate frequently watched channels as "Favorites". You can create up to 5 favorite channel list for each member of your family. You can also rename and edit favorite channel lists.
- Genre: It is possible to filter channels by genre, if the channels contain proper genre information.
- Schedule Manager: Using this function, you can set the TV to display a desired channel automatically on a day and at a time of your choice. The Schedule Manager can be set to repeat only once, everyday, Mon-Fri, Mon-Sat, or Sat-Sun.
Instant On: This Samsung Ultra-HD TV turns on 4x faster than previous models with Instant On, so you can quickly begin browsing apps or watching your favorite movies, sports, or shows.
RVU Compatible (for DirecTV): This Samsung television is RVU-compatible which means DIRECTV subscribers with the Genie Whole-Home HD DVR can watch live broadcast and stored content from their DVR on the Samsung TV, without the need for an additional Genie Mini Client devices or set-top boxes. However, you will need a DECA unit (sold separately) that converts Coax to Ethernet, which will plug into the Samsung TV's LAN port. Make sure the television has the latest firmware update.
Security: The Samsung LED-LCD TV offers several security features to protect TV, your connected equipment, & family.
- Smart Security: When any device is connected to the Internet, it is vulnerable to hacks and malicious code. Samsung Smart Security protects the TV and storage media connected to the TV from such threats, when the television is connected to the Internet.
- Password Lock: You can setup up a 4-digit PIN to lock out specific channels, TV settings, and reset procedure.
- Program Rating Lock: The Program Rating Lock feature automatically locks out programs that are deemed inappropriate for children. You can block TV program based on their ratings and Movies based on their MPAA rating, so you have more control over what your children watch. The Program Rating Lock function is protected by a 4-digit PIN.
Hearing & Visually Impaired: The Samsung HU8550 series LED-LCD TV offers Close Captions and an Audio Guide for the hearing and visually impaired.
- Close Captions (CC): The TV provides Analog Closed Captions and Digital Closed Captions. The Digital CC offers customizable text, font, and size. The Caption feature does not work for Component and HDMI input sources.
- Audio Guide: Activate the audio guide for the visually impaired. This is only available with broadcasts that provide this service.
ECO Settings: The Samsung LED-LCD TV provides ECO settings to reduce the TV's power consumption and cut-down on energy costs.
- Eco Sensor: Samsung's unique Eco light sensor measures the intensity of the room's light and automatically calibrates the brightness of the image on the screen. In a sun-filled environment, the screen gets brighter and in dim surroundings, the intensity is reduced. This feature optimizes the viewing experience while also saving you energy.
- Energy Saver: This feature adjust the brightness of the TV in order to reduce power consumption. When watching TV at night, set the Energy Saver feature to High to reduce eye fatigue as well as power consumption. You can set this feature to High, Medium, Low, or Picture Off (sound remains on).
- No Signal Standby: The TV will automatically switch to standby mode, if no picture is being received for a predetermined set amount of time (15, 30, or 60 minutes).
- Auto Power Off: The TV will be automatically turn off after 4 hours of being left idle to prevent overheating.
Timers: The Samsung HU8550 series LED-LCD TV offers On/Off and Sleep timers for your convenience.
- On/Off Timer: The three On/Off timers allow you to program the television to turn itself on and off by selecting a specific on time and a specific off time. An On/off timer can be set to repeat only once, everyday, Mon-Fri, Mon-Sat, or Sat-Sun. You can also choose the On Timer's content (TV, USB, or Antenna) and volume. The on and off timers work independently of one another.
- Sleep Timer: The sleep timer switches the television off after a specified amount of time. The sleep timer can be set to 30, 60, 90, 120, 150, or 180 minutes.
- Auto Protection Time: If the screen remains idle with a still image for a certain period of time (2, 4, 8, 10 hours) defined by the user, the TV's built-in screen saver is activated to prevent the formation of host images on the screen.
Remote Support + Self Diagnosis: The Samsung Remote Support service offers you one-on-one support with a Samsung Technician who can remotely diagnose your TV, adjust the TV settings, perform a factory reset, and install recommended firmware updates. Your TV must be connected to your homes wired or wireless network. The Samsung HU8550 series LED-LCD TV also provides a Self Diagnosis menu which allows you to check the television for picture, sound, and signal problems.
- Picture Test: Use to check for picture problems. If the problem appears in the test picture, select "Yes" and follow the directions on the screen.
- Sound Test: Use the built-in melody sound to check for sound problems. If the problem occurs during the test, select "Yes" and follow the directions on the screen.
- Signal Test: An HD digital channel's reception quality is either perfect or the channels are unavailable. Adjust your antenna to increase signal strength.
Note: The television only comes with a brief User Manual. A complete instruction manual is built-in into the TV and can be viewed on-screen. Open the e-Manual to learn how to use the TV's many features.
Smart Touch Remote Control: The new Samsung Smart Touch Remote Control makes it even easier to navigate the television's entertainment sources, menu settings, and Smart TV features. Improved user convenience has been provided so that you can switch the channel and adjust the volume with just your fingertips while focusing on the TV screen. The built-in touchpad acts as a pointer & mouse so you can navigate menu settings and search for content quickly and easily. You can even activate a virtual on-screen remote controller (w/ numeric keypad, playback controls, and shortcut menu) on the TV which can be operated through the remote's touchpad. It also has a built-in microphone that you can use to give the Samsung TV voice commands. Because the Smart Touch Remote communicates with the TV through wireless Bluetooth communication, it will need to be initially paired with the TV. This means you don't have to point the remote directly at the TV.
- Programmable + IR Blaster: The remote can be programmed to control satellite/cable boxes, Blu-ray players, and home theaters from other manufactures using the TV's setup menu and the included IR blaster.
- Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC): This TV is enabled with Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC); a feature that makes it possible to control HDMI-connected Samsung and other HDMI-CEC compliant external devices connected to the TV with ease. With Anynet+, you can use the TV remote control to operate all your compatible Samsung Anynet+ and HDMI-CEC devices that are connected to the TV via HDMI. Anynet+ can control up to 12 compatible external devices (up to 3 of the same type).
Note: The Samsung TV also comes with a standard IR remote control.
Voice Control: Using the Smart TV Remote's built-in microphone and the voice control function of the TV, your voice is all you need to turn on the Samsung television, navigate menus, and get to your favorite Smart TV content. You can even use only your voice to switch the channel, adjust the volume level, and launch online apps while focusing on the TV screen, which removes the need for a conventional remote control.
- Interactive Voice Control: Interactive voice control lets you give "conversational" instructions to the TV. You can execute various functions using common voice commands without having to remember specific keywords.
- Imperative Voice Control: Imperative voice control requires you to use pre-defined commands. "Trigger Words" can be displayed on-screen to use during voice control to help you know what to say.
Note: To use Voice Control, you must pronounce words and phrases clearly and correctly in the language (English/French/Spanish) you selected. The Voice Control function can be affected by unclear pronunciation, voice level, or surrounding noise. Speak voice commands 4"-6" away from the remote's microphone, and make sure to speak in a loud (75-80dB) & clear voice, and reduce any background noise in the room.
SmartView Mobile App: You can download the Samsung SmartView mobile app (from iTunes or GooglePlay) onto to your Apple iOS (5.0+) or Android (4.0.3+) device for yet another way to control the Samsung LED-LCD TV. If both your Apple iOS or Android device and TV are connected to the same wireless network, your smartphone or tablet will link to the TV automatically where you can use your mobile device like a remote control. The TV can also transfer live feeds to your smartphone or tablet. Main features include:
- Remote: Your Apple iOS or Android device can work as remote for the Samsung TV and a connected Samsung Blu-ray player or home theater system.
- TV View: Enjoy TV and other multimedia right from your Apple iOS or Android device that's connected to the Samsung Smart TV. You can watch the same content as on the TV or different content from another input source.
Optional Motion Control: To use the Motion Control feature, you must install a proprietary Samsung camera (sold separately) on the TV. When connecting the camera to the Samsung TV, make sure to connect it to the specified USB port of the TV. Other USB ports do not support the TV camera or Motion Control.
Keyboard & Mouse Compatible: The Samsung HU8550 series LED-LCD TV will support a USB-enabled keyboard and mouse (both sold separately), which makes web browsing a lot easier.
Pedestal Stand: The TV comes with a pedestal stand. The TV is shipped with the pedestal stand unattached. The television weighs 46.5 lbs with the stand. This stand does not swivel.
Wall Mounting: The TV has four threaded inserts on the back for use with an optional wall-mount bracket. The spacing of the mounting holes is 400mm (h) x 400mm (v). The threaded inserts require M8 (8mm) machine screws (not supplied). The television weighs 39.2 lbs without the stand.
Note: When mounting the TV on the stand or a wall (with optional bracket) leave 4" of clearance on each side of the television and 4" above/below the television for adequate ventilation.
Detachable AC Power Cord: The Samsung HU8550 series LED-LCD TV comes with a 5' detachable AC power cord. The AC power cord sits 0.8125" out from the rear-panel. The AC power cord is fitted with a right-angle AC plug that sits 0.8125" from the wall.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
2 questions already asked
3 answers My Sony KDL-55W900A got struck by lightning yesterday. I love that TV and it was only 9 months old. Since then the 4K sets have really gone down in price so I think I'll get one. I have owned both Samsung and Sony, for the ones I've owned Sony has been better for me. I have narrowed it down to this Samsung and the Sony XBR-55X850B. Did any of you owners of this Samsung do this comparison? If so, I'm curious why you chose this over the Sony. [ Customer Nov 18, 2014 ]
Jeremy, I used Sony for a comparison and five other major brands when I was looking to update my video system.I purchased the Samsung UN55HU8550 because it had all the features I wanted and then some, plus it all boiled down to the best picture in all types of settings, (bright or dark rooms, watching action movies, etc.). It took about an hour to set up but it was well worth it. The only problem I have now is my house is the one all my friends want to come and watch the games at.The picture is so crisp it seems your looking out a window. It's hard to do a side by side comparison at a store because most stores take the TV out of the box and don't have time to set it up they just hook it up and turn it on. I hope this might help a little bit. [ Rey Nov 18, 2014 ]
The Samsung's Smart Hub has Netflix preloaded with closed captioned capability. This feature is important to me & so far the Samsung UHD TV has been flawless. [ John Nov 18, 2014 ]
Samsung is great product and Sony is overpriced. You pay more for Sony name than the product. My Samsung 4K tv is working great and picture is amazing. I bough minet in May. The only thing I regret is that i should wait few months to buy it cheaper as the prices went down. [ GRZEGORZ Nov 18, 2014 ]
This TV does not have built-in DVR functionality, so you'll need to use the DVR provided by your cable operator. Alternatively, you could use a third-party DVR i.e. TiVo. [ David Sep 02, 2014 ]
Hi Carol--I think that is the only way. The TV doesn't have a built-in hard drive or DVR. [ Michael Sep 02, 2014 ]
The only way I have ever recorded is with the DVR via the cable box from the cable company. [ STEVE Sep 02, 2014 ]