Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Combination DVD recorder + HiFi VCR
Item # 305DVR320 | MFR # DVD-VR320
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Samsung DVD-VR320 by Crutchfield's Amanda P.
Samsung's DVD-VR320 gives you both a DVD recorder and a VCR in a one compact combo deck. It offers the quality and durability of DVD, plus the familiar conveniences of VHS tape. Whether you're archiving treasured home movies or recording weekly TV shows, you'll appreciate this recorder's handy features.
The 'VR320 is a great choice for folks who want to back up their home videos. Front-panel inputs for analog and digital camcorders make it simple to back up family movie footage. Dub homemade VHS tapes to DVD, or DVD recordings to videotape, with the push of a button.
This recorder can also perform basic editing functions when you use rewritable DVDs. For example, you could record a season of your favorite TV series, then go back afterwards and delete the commercials. Or, you could save a combination of camcorder and VHS footage to DVD, then arrange it in any order you like. With all that recording flexibility, you'll be able to add a personal touch to your video collection.
Consumer Alert: This component has only an analog broadcast tuner and will require a converter box after February 17, 2009, to receive over-the-air broadcasts with an antenna because of the Nation's transition to digital broadcasting. Analog-only TVs should continue to work as before with cable and satellite TV services, gaming consoles, VCRs, DVD players, and similar products. For more information, call the Federal Communications Commission at 1-888-225-5322 (TTY: 1-888-835-5322) or visit the Commission's digital television website at: www.dtv.gov
What's in the Box:
- DVD recorder/VCR combo unit
- Wireless remote control (00034H)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 46" RF coaxial cable (with slip-on male "F" connectors on each end)
- 47-1/2" A/V cable (with stereo audio RCA and composite video plugs on each end)
- Instruction Manual
- Quick Setup Guide
- Product Registration Card
- records to the following types of discs:
- write-once DVD-Rs, for making permanent recordings
- rewritable DVD-RWs and DVD-RAM discs, for making recordings you can watch and then erase
- plays DVD-Video, DVD-R & DVD-RW, and DVD-RAM
- plays CDs, audio CD-Rs & CD-RWs, and MP3 CDs
- plays digital picture CDs (JPEG)
- A-B erase and playlist editing (DVD-RW and DVD-RAM)
- customized titles for recorded material
- one-touch, two-way dubbing of non-copy-protected material
- watch a DVD while VCR records, and vice versa
- five DVD recording settings (XP, SP, LP, EP, and auto)
- digital camcorder (IEEE 1394) input
- optical and coaxial digital audio outputs
- 2 sets of A/V inputs (1 S-video, 2 composite) including 1 front-panel (composite)
- A/V output (composite, S-video, component)
- RF input/output
- designed to play "Region 1" pre-recorded DVDs
- HiFi stereo with MTS decoding
- 4 video heads
- three VHS recording settings (SP, SLP, and auto)
- Quasi S-VHS playback
- 125-channel tuner
- remote control (multibrand for TVs)
- 16-7/8"W x 3-5/16"H x 14"D
- warranty: 1 year parts, 90 days labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- Note: Internal dubbing of copy-protected DVDs and VHS tapes is not possible
Samsung DVD-VR320 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Number of Discs||1|
|Hard Drive Recorder||No|
|Hard Drive Capacity||N/A|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||90 Days|
|RCA Audio Inputs||2 pr Stereo|
|Composite Video Inputs||2|
|Component Video Inputs||No|
|Component Video Outputs||1|
Compatible Blank Discs: The DVD-VR320 can record on DVD-RAM and DVD-RW rewriteable discs and DVD-R write-once discs. DVD-RAM discs can be formatted in the DVD-Video Recording format (VR mode), allowing you to edit recordings and create a playlist in a specific sequence according to your requirements. DVD-RW discs can be formatted in either the DVD-Video format (Video mode) or the DVD-Video Recording format (VR mode). DVD-R discs can be formatted in the DVD-Video format (Video mode), and finalized discs can be played back in most DVD players. Note: When using cartridge-type DVD-RAM discs, it will be necessary to remove the disc from the cartridge before inserting them into the player.
Recommended Discs: The following discs have been confirmed to be compatible with this unit:
- DVD-R (4x speed): Maxell, Sony, TDK, That's, Panasonic, Beall, Mitsubishi
- DVD-RW (2x speed): Maxell, Optodisc, Mitsubishi, Verbatim, JVC, Radius, TDK
- DVD-RAM (version 2.0): Maxell 2x, Maxell 3x, Fujifilm 3x, Panasonic 2x, TDK 2x, Panasonic Gold 3x, Panasonic 3x
Maximum Recordings: The maximum number of recordings that can be made with each type of blank disc is as follows:
- DVD-RAM: 100,000 times
- DVD-RW: 1,000 times
- DVD-R: 1 time
Disc Playback Compatibility: In addition to DVD-RAM, DVD-R, and DVD-RW discs, you can also playback the following discs: DVD-Video, Audio CD, CD-R, CD-RW, and MP3 and JPEG files (including Progressive JPEG files up to 3MP) recorded onto CD-R and CD-RW discs. This unit can playback 5" and 3-1/2" discs, as well as single-sided and double-sided DVDs.
Recording Speeds: You can record from the built-in TV tuner, or from a connected external device. The unit can record in 4 speeds on the DVD, 2 speeds on the VCR, or an automatic recording speed. The recording speeds include:
- DVD Recording:
- XP (high quality): select when audio and video qualities are important. Time: approx. 1 hour (on 4.7GB disc)
- SP (standard quality): recording in standard quality. Time: approx. 2 hours
- LP (low quality): when long recording time is required. Time: approx. 4 hours
- EP (extended mode): when a longer recording time is required. Time: approx. 6 hours or 8 hours (selectable)
- Auto: for timer recording only; sets video quality automatically based on the remaining time on the DVD. Time: between 1 and 8 hours
- VCR Recording:
- SP (standard play): for best picture quality. Time: approx. 2 hours (on T-120 tape)
- SLP (super long play): for maximum recording time. Time: approx. 6 hours
- Auto: sets video quality automatically based on the remaining time on the tape: Time: between 2 and 6 hours
One Touch Recording: You can easily record to DVD or VCR using the Record button on the front panel. Once you have tuned to the desired channel, you can start recording by pressing the record button, adding 30 minutes of recording time with each press of the button. Maximum recording time is 4 hours. The unit will stop recording when the time has elapsed.
One Touch Two-Way Dubbing: Using the Copy button on the front panel or remote control, you can copy from a VHS tape to a DVD disc, or vice versa. Note: Dubbing of copyright protected material is not possible on this unit.
Progressive Scan: Component progressive scan playback is available in both DVD and VCR modes. Progressive scanning provides high resolution and flicker-free images. If your TV supports progressive scan video (HD-ready) through its component video input, you can switch the video output of the player to progressive scan using a convenient front panel button.
DVD/CD Playback Features: During DVD and CD playback, the unit will perform the following functions:
- Forward/Reverse Search: You can search forward or backward in one of 6 speeds for DVD, and 3 speeds for CD.
- Slow Motion: During the pause mode, you can playback a DVD forward or backward at 1/8x, 1/4x, or 1/2x speed.
- Step Motion: During the pause mode, you can advance the DVD forward one frame at a time.
ANYKEY: The ANYKEY button on the remote allows you to easily search for a desired scene by accessing the title, chapter, track, or time. You can also change the subtitle and audio settings, zoom in or out up to 4x, and activate the repeat play feature (title, chapter, or A-B repeat).
Bookmark: You can bookmark scenes on a disc that you want to see again so you can start playback from the marked position. When playing a DVD-Video or DVD-R disc, you can bookmark up to 10 scenes. On a DVD-RAM or DVD-RW(VR) disc, bookmarks are replaced with "markers" and you can mark up to 99 scenes.
JPEG Playback: When you insert a disc of JPEG photos, you can view the photos six at a time in an "album" screen or one at a time in a slide show mode with variable intervals. Individual photos can be rotated, or enlarged up to 4x.
MP3 Playback: This unit can playback MP3 files recorded onto CD-R or CD-RW discs with the ISO 9660 or Joliet formats. Playable bit rates range from 56 kbps to 320 kbps. This unit can handle a maximum of 1000 files and folders.
VCR Playback Features: During VCR playback, the unit will perform the following functions:
- Forward Picture Search (FPS)/Review: You can advance the tape forward or backward at one of two speeds: 5x normal speed (Picture Search) or 7x normal speed (Jet Search).
- Skip: In play mode, you can cue ahead exactly 30 seconds. Pressing the button repeatedly up to 4 times to cue ahead 2 minutes. This mode is handy for skipping commercials.
- Slow Motion: In pause mode, you can advance the tape forward in one of 2 slow motion speeds: 1/5x or 1/30 normal speed.
- Pause/Frame Advance: In the play mode, you can pause the tape to view a single still frame. In the pause mode, you can advance the tape forward one frame at a time.
S-VHS Playback: This unit will playback pre-recorded S-VHS tapes. It is not possible to record in S-VHS mode.
Variable Search System: The VCR utilizes the VHS Index Search System (VISS). Each time the VCR begins a recording, the starting point is given an index mark. You can easily search for the beginning of the programs you record. In addition, you can use other methods of searching, including "Go to 0:00:00 Stop" to locate the point of the tape where the counter was "zeroed", End search to locate an unrecorded portion of the tape, or Scan and Play to scan forward or backward on the tape while you watch for the desired program. Note: Index marks made by other VCRs may not be picked up by this unit.
Timer Recording: You can make up to 12 timer recordings up to a month in advance. Recordings can be made to the DVD or VCR. You can record different sources (not different channels) simultaneously, one to the VCR and one to the DVD.
Editing: Once you have recorded onto a DVD-RAM or DVD-RW, you can edit the contents of the disc by creating playlists. A playlist uses information about each recorded scene and allows you to change the playback order of the scenes. You can delete and edit playlists without losing the actual recorded video.
Remote Control: The DVD-VR320 is equipped with a remote control (00034H) which can control this unit and a number of brands of televisions. TV controls include Power, Input Select, Volume +/-, Channel Up/Dn, and TV Mute.
RF Output: The unit's RF output jack (threaded female "F" connector) will output audio and video from the VCR and DVD, as well as the internal tuner.
DV Input: If your digital camcorder has a front panel DV output jack (also called IEEE 1394 or i.LINK), you can record onto a disc or tape directly from the camcorder.
Digital Outputs: The unit is equipped with 2 digital outputs, one optical and one coaxial, for connecting to a receiver with Dolby Digital and DTS decoders. You can configure the unit to output a Dolby Digital 5.1-channel bitstream or PCM 2-channel audio.
A/V Inputs: The front panel features a set of A/V inputs with stereo audio and composite video. The rear panel A/V input includes stereo audio with composite video and S-Video inputs.
Video Outputs: For higher quality video output, you can connect the unit to your TV using the S-Video or component video outputs. In addition, if your TV is HDTV ready, the component video outputs can be switched to a progressive scan output for best quality picture.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.