Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Powered 2.1-channel home theater sound bar with wireless subwoofer and Bluetooth®
Item # 305HWF450 | MFR # HW-F450/ZA
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Samsung HW-F450 by Crutchfield's Woody Sherman
Time to unwind
Another work day done. You kick off your shoes, grab a favorite beverage from the fridge and settle into your couch, because your favorite TV show has just launched a new season online. You fire up Netflix® and turn up your new TV. As the music ramps up, the action scenes spill forth and the announcer intones, "Previously on..."
Except something's missing. The sound is only slightly better than that of your tablet's speakers. Your new TV looks awesome, but the manufacturer paid a harsh penalty for that ultra-thin look. Thin speakers generally lead to thin sound.
The Samsung HW-450 sound bar features clean lines and a high-gloss finish
An easy solution
Fortunately, the fix is easy. You can get the thrill of powerful, accurate bass and crystal-clear dialogue from the Samsung HW-F450, a powered sound bar/wireless subwoofer system that looks as good as it sounds. With the enhanced connection flexibility of both an HDMI input and output, it's well-equipped to route high-quality video and audio where you need it. The 'F450 supports a recent implementation of the HDMI standard for features like Audio Return Channel, which enables two-way audio transmission over one cable, and Samsung's Anynet+™, which enables one-touch (and one-remote) control over all of your HDMI-connected Samsung components.
We really mean wireless
For increased convenience, your sound bar/subwoofer combo can pair wirelessly via Bluetooth® with a compatible Samsung HDTV using the SoundShare™ feature. The only wires leading to those components will be for AC power. And the Bluetooth connection allows streaming from compatible smartphones, tablets and laptops. How's that for a simple installation?
Connections are the key to success
Of course, the HW-F450 handles other connections as well. A built-in USB port hosts thumb drives and external disk drives with music files. An optical digital input can handle Blu-ray players, game consoles, or your Apple TV®. And there's a stereo analog 3.5mm input for your media player.
Very nice sound. An way upgrade for any room in the house or garage :-). That's where mine is set up. This is the second one I have set up.
Dave C., Fergus Falls, MN
What's in the Box:
- AudioBar (HW-F450)
- Wireless powered subwoofer (PS-WF450)
- Remote control (AH59-02547A)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Wall-mount bracket
- 7" USB extension cable (w/ a male USB type-A connector on one end and a female USB type-A connector on other end)
- 5' Stereo minijack cable
- Ferrite core
- User Manual
- Quick Setup Guide
- Online Product Registration information
- 160 watts (80 watts x 2 peak)
- Dolby® Digital and DTS decoding and virtual surround processing for a more engaging listening experience
- four 1-7/8" midrange drivers
- two 3/4" dome tweeters
- built-in Bluetooth® for audio streaming from compatible smartphones, tablets and laptops
- SoundShare feature lets you wirelessly connect your compatible Samsung HDTV to your sound bar via Bluetooth®
- requires AC power
- 35-11/16"W x 2-13/16"H x 2-3/16"D
- weight: 4.3 lbs.
- 120 watts (peak)
- wireless design allows for placement anywhere in the room
- adds bass punch to movie soundtracks, TV shows, and music
- requires AC power
- weight: 12 lbs.
- 7-1/16W x 14-5/16"H x 11-7/8"D
- 1 HDMI input and 1 HDMI output to HDTV
- 1 analog minijack input (mini-to-RCA cable included)
- 1 optical digital audio input
- USB input for playing music files from a thumb drive
- 6 DSP settings optimize system performance for everything from movies to news
- 3D Sound Plus feature analyzes the depth and motion of the 3D signals on your screen and synchronizes the sound to match
- Smart Volume mode evens out variances in apparent volume between different program sources
- remote control and wall bracket included
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Samsung HW-F450 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Pieces in System||2|
|Tweeter||.75 Dome (2)|
|Midrange||1.875" Cone (4)|
|Subwoofer Driver||6" Cone|
|Surround Sound Decoding||No|
|4K Video Compatible||No|
|HDR Video Compatible||---|
|Audio Return Channel||---|
|Remote IR Passthrough||No|
|Works with TV Remote (IR)||---|
|Control by App||---|
|Mounting Bracket Included||Yes|
|Surface Mount Stand Included||Integrated|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|System Frequency Response||20-20k Hz|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||80 x 2|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||120 x 1|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|Mini Stereo Audio Inputs||1|
|RCA Stereo Audio Inputs||None|
|Optical Digital Audio Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Audio Inputs||None|
|Sound Bar (inches)||2-13/16H x 35-11/16W x 2-3/16D|
|Sound Bar Weight||4.28 lbs|
|Subwoofer (inches)||14-5/16H x 7-1/16W x 11-7/8D|
|Subwoofer Weight||12.01 lbs|
Crystal Surround AirTrack (Active Speaker System): The Samsung HW-F450 Crystal Surround AirTrack System is a 2.1-channel audio system that lets you experience a rich, powerful virtual surround sound from just two speakers (Audiobar & Wireless Powered Sub). The slim, compact Samsung HW-F450's AudioBar can be mounted on the wall or placed on a table-top, while the wireless subwoofer can be positioned anywhere in the room to achieve maximum audio performance.
AudioBar: The AudioBar is a self-powered, two-channel speaker which provides enveloping virtual surround sound from a single speaker. The AudioBar includes four 1.875" midrange drivers and two 0.75" soft-dome tweeters housed in an acoustic suspension, gloss-black cabinet (the speaker contains no grille). The AudioBar features a built-in 80 watts x 2-channel digital amplifier to drive its speakers. The AudioBar is designed to be mounted directly below or above your flat-panel HDTV in a horizontal orientation. The AudioBar can be placed on a shelf or table-top. The AudioBar also includes a wall-mount bracket which allows you to fix the speaker to your wall. The AudioBar includes analog audio and digital audio/video connections, as well as Bluetooth connectivity.
Wireless Powered Subwoofer: The wireless powered subwoofer receives its low-frequency audio signal wirelessly from the AudioBar via 2.4GHz transmission. There are no cords to connect, except the AC power cord. You can place the wireless powered subwoofer up to 33' away from the AudioBar. The wireless powered subwoofer features a side-firing 6" woofer inside a bass-reflex, gloss-black cabinet with a rear-firing port. The 6" woofer is powered by a built-in 120 watt amplifier.
Surround Sound Decoding: The Samsung HW-F450 Crystal Surround AirTrack System employs decoders compatible with Dolby Digital, DTS, SFE, and 3D Depth Sound.
- Dolby Digital: This is the standard audio signal format used on DVDs, and other purely digital media. This surround technology delivers high-quality digital audio of up to 5.1 discrete channels to produce a directional and more realistic effect.
- DTS: DTS provides a discrete 5.1 channel digital audio signal for both music and movie content and uses less compression than Dolby Digital for richer sound.
- SFE (Sound Field Effect): Using a 32-bit audio digital signal processor the HW-F450 provides a more realistic surround sound with normal stereo audio source. The Samsung HW-F450 offers 7 different sound field modes (News, Drama, Sports, Game, Cinema, Music, and Off/Original Sound).
- 3D Sound: Complement the images you see on screen with the full sound of 3D Sound. By analyzing the depth of the 3D image, 3D Sound synchronizes the sound to match the motion and depth of the image. Now you can enjoy a fully immersive 3D experience.
Audio Settings: The Samsung Crystal Surround AirTrack system provides various audio adjustments to customize your listening experience.
- Smart Volume: This function will regulate and stabilize the volume level against a drastic volume change in case of a channel change or scene transition.
- AV Sync: AV Sync can be used to help sync video to audio when connected to a digital HDTV. Video may look slower than the audio if it is connected to a digital TV. If this occurs, you can adjust the audio delay time to match the video. You can adjust the AV Sync from 0 to 300ms.
- DRC: You can use the DRC (Dynamic Range Compression) function to enjoy Dolby Digital sound when watching movies at low volume during the night. DRC compresses the audio to make the loudest sounds quieter and the quietest sounds louder.
- Subwoofer Level: You can independently adjust the volume of the wireless powered subwoofer from -6 to +6, using the system's remote control.
- Speaker Selection: This function enables you to select between listening to audio from your TV or audio from the AirTrack system when connected via HDMI.
Remote Control: The included IR remote control provides wireless operation of the Samsung HW-F450 system and can also be used to control your connected Samsung TV. The remote control has a TV hotkey that enables you to perform various operations with the simple press of a button. You can adjust the volume or change the channel on the Samsung TV. Other unique Remote Control features include:
- Smart On: When used with a 2013 Samsung LED-LCD or Plasma TV, you will be able to power on the AudioBar and control the volume right from the TV's remote.
- Anynet+: Anynet+ is a convenient feature that offers linked operation with other Samsung components that have the Anynet+ feature, and lets you control those products with one Samsung remote control. To operate this function, you must connect Samsung HW-F450 Crystal Surround AirTrack System to an Anynet+ Samsung TV using an HDMI cable.
Auto Power On/Off: The Samsung Crystal Surround AirTrack system offers Auto Power On/Off functionality.
- Power Link (Auto On): The Crystal Surround AirTrack system is automatically turned on when you turn on your TV or any device connected to the AirTrack system with an optical cable.
- Auto Off: If a TV or any device connected to the Crystal Surround AirTrack System is off and there is no audio signal, the AirTrack system will turn off after 20 minutes.
HDMI 1.4 Input/Output: The AudioBar of the Samsung HW-F450 Crystal Surround AirTrack System is fitted with an HDMI 1.4 input and HDMI 1.4 output. HDMI transmits video and audio signals simultaneously for a simpler connection, and provides a clearer picture and better sound. The unit's HDMI input and output support 3D-video, Deep Color, and x.v.Color pass-through. The HDMI output also supports ARC.
- 3D: The HW-F450 can pass through 3D video from 3D-ready Blu-ray players to 3D-ready TVs, via HDMI (1.4). You will also need compatible 3D-ready glasses and 3D-video content.
- Deep/x.v.Color: Deep Color allows more accurate color reproduction with deep color depth. The unit also supports x.v.Color; meaning it's ready for x.v.Color discs, such as AVCHD discs (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 format).
- ARC: The unit's HDMI output also supports the ARC function. This allows you to connect your Blu-ray/DVD player or satellite/cable box directly to the system's HDMI input and connect the system's HDMI output to your television for audio from the Crystal Surround AirTrack System or your TV. Your TV must also be ARC compatible.
Bluetooth Technology: The Samsung Crystal Surround AirTrack System features built-in Bluetooth for wireless audio streaming and Samsung's new Sound Share TV connection.
- Bluetooth A2DP: You can wirelessly stream audio from your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone or MP3 player to the Samsung HW-F450 and enjoy music with high quality stereo sound, all without wires. The HW-F450 does not control your Bluetooth-enabled device; you will continue to control your music from your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone or MP3 player. Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Samsung HW-F450.
- Sound Share: You can simplify the installation of the HW-F450 by eliminating the need for a wired connection between a Bluetooth-enabled Samsung TV and the AudioBar. Simply plug the Audiobar and the subwoofer into AC power and follow the simple pairing instructions to wirelessly connect the AudioBar to select Bluetooth-enabled Samsung TVs. SoundShare is only available for select Samsung 3D TVs - 2013 LED Series 6400 or higher and PDP Series 5500 or higher; 2012 LED Series 6500 or higher and PDP Series 550 or higher.
Analog + Digital Inputs: The Samsung HW-F450 Crystal Surround AirTrack System features both analog (3.5mm) and digital (optical) audio inputs.
- Optical Digital Input: The Samsung HW-F450 Crystal Surround AirTrack System's AudioBar is equipped with an optical (toslink) digital input to connect your television, Blu-ray/DVD player, or satellite/cable box.
- AUX Input: The Samsung HW-F450's AudioBar features a stereo audio minijack (3.5mm) input to connect your analog television or other analog audio component.
USB Port: You can connect and play music files from external USB mass storage class devices (such as smartphones, MP3 players or USB thumbrives) using the AudioBar's side-panel USB (type-A) port and included USB extension cable. The HW-F450 supports USB devices formatted in FAT16/32 with MP3, WMA, AAC, WAV, FLAC, or OGG music files. You can control basic playback functions; such as Play/Pause, Fast-Forward/Backward, Previous/Next Track, and Repeat/Random. The system will also charge (5V/0.5A) your connected USB device.
Software Upgrades: Samsung may offer upgrades for the system's firmware in the future. Upgrades will be possible by downloading firmware upgrades to a USB thumbdrive and connecting the thumbdrive to the AudioBar's USB port.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
8 questions already asked
If you purchased the product from Crutchfield, feel free to contact our Tech Support team. They can walk you through the settings on the product and see if there may be a fix. Our toll-free Tech Support number is printed on your invoice, and is also available under the "My Orders" tab in the "My Account" section of our website. If you did not purchase the unit from Crutchfield, then you may want to contact the manufacturer. You can also post your question in our forums: http://community.crutchfield.com. Or try our online support center: http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/kw/. [ Krissy May 28, 2014 ] Staff
Most multi-product remotes will likely work with this unit. The Universal RF-10 should do the job pretty well: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_554RF10/Universal-MasterControl-RF-10.html [ Jeff Feb 17, 2014 ] Staff
Yes, HDMI1 [ AMY Jan 31, 2014 ]
Digital out on tv [ CYNTHIA Jan 30, 2014 ]
HDMI from TiVo to Sound bar. Then another HDMI from sound bar to TV. that's what the instructions say so that's how I did it. [ Laura Jan 30, 2014 ]
No it does not come on when TV is turned on. Has to be turned on separately. [ Dennis Jan 18, 2014 ]
works fine , i don't use optical port [ KRZYSZTOF G Jan 17, 2014 ]
Sorry, not using optic audio cable [ ROBERT T Jan 16, 2014 ]
Yes, it does once you get it set up right. I actually needed help from the Crutchfield team to get it set up. The thing that is not obvious is that there is a time delay for when the sound bar goes on and even longer when it goes off. So, when you first turn the TV on with the TV remote, the sound bar does not come on for a short time. Less than a minute. It does go on eventually. When you turn the TV off, the soundbar stays on for about 20 minutes. But it does always go off. The one thing I find to be a minor annoyance is that sound volume is not controlled by the TV remote. You have to silence the TV sound or you will get an echo. The volume on the TV remote only controls that. You have a separate small remote that controls the sound on the soundbar. That can also change channels, but it does not get to changing the source etc. So, you still need both remotes. Hope that helps. We love our TV and the sound bar is terrific. [ ROY E Jan 16, 2014 ]
Don't know never used the optic cable. [ WALTER Jan 16, 2014 ]
No it has to be manually turn on [ RAJESH Jan 16, 2014 ]
No, The Best Solution is to add a Harmony smart hub Then it will turn on and select the right input [ CHARLES Jan 16, 2014 ]
Not sure about the optic cable I have mine hooked up with a HDMI cable and it does turn on and off with the tv. [ HARRY Jan 16, 2014 ]
Check page 20 of the User Manual - it mentions the AUTO POWER LINK function - note that it states the HDMI CEC feature must be turned OFF. I never tested this as I was using a Samsung TV with an ARC enabled HDMI port for connection to the sound bar. [ FREDERICK Jan 16, 2014 ]
No. If it dose I havent figured it out. But it will turn itself off if no sound is coming through it. [ JEFFREY L Jan 16, 2014 ]
Hi Cindy - First of all I'd give the experts @ Crutchfield a call and tell of your complaint. Because I'd say that the system isn't very bass-oriented, if that's what you want. I think it's nicely balanced sound, for my tastes, but it doesn't rattle the walls; my room is a small bedroom, ~ 15 ft square. That said, for best bass effect, place the subwoofer in a corner, speaker facing out. This emphasizes bass frequencies. Good luck. And return the system if still not satisfied. [ NICK Dec 30, 2013 ]
No issue where with the sub. The system is installed in a bedroom. Sound bar is mounted on the wall above the TV. The sub is placed on the floor on the oppisite wall from the sound bar. [ JAY Dec 29, 2013 ]
No to both questions. The Bluetooth link is only with the sub-woofer and sound bar. [ Frakes Dec 24, 2013 ]
Only used for TV sound. No headphones so have no insight. Sorry! [ CHARLES Dec 18, 2013 ]
No idea. I have only tried delivering music via blue tooth. I have never tried receiving what is ever being put in through another source. Sorry. [ WILLIAM Dec 18, 2013 ]
The sound is great,i was able to stream the sound from the sound bar to the subwoffer was easy. Sound s great [ Gerald Dec 18, 2013 ]
I would think you would need to connect the Bluetooth headphones to the device that is generating the sound signal not the sound bar. [ WILLIAM P Dec 18, 2013 ]
Depends on the sound bar design. I recommend you contact the manufacturer. [ ROBERT Dec 04, 2013 ]
Not as far as I know - there are no connections for any external speakers. [ FREDERICK Dec 02, 2013 ]
no- you really don't need them, it sounds good the way it is. i think u will be very happy with this sound bar, i am. [ CHRISTINA M Dec 02, 2013 ]
Josh, I haven't tried to do so. The sound bar and the sub are enough for us. Tom [ THOMAS Dec 02, 2013 ]
If you purchased the unit from Crutchfield, feel free to contact our Tech Support team. They can help walk you through the settings on this unit and see if there may be a fix. If you did not purchase the unit from Crutchfield, then you may want to contact the manufacturer or post your question in our forums: http://community.crutchfield.com [ Jeff Nov 20, 2013 ] Staff