Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
14.6-megapixel digital camera with 18-55mm lens
Item # 305NX10 | MFR # EV-NX10ZZBABUS
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Samsung NX10 by Crutchfield's Dave Bar
The Samsung NX10 is simple to use, but no one who sees the results framed in your living room will ever guess. This camera is smaller and lighter than a traditional SLR, so you'll be able to take it everywhere. But it has a large image sensor like an SLR, so your pictures will be sharp and full of detail.
Beautiful photos made easy
The camera can sense when your subject has her eyes open or a smile on her lips, so you'll get perfect portraits every time. With its high-speed autofocus and image-stabilized lens, moving subjects and low-light situations just become another opportunity to show off your camera's great performance. And its interface is easy to navigate, so you'll be snapping photos and shooting HD video right away.
"Hands-on" shooting, plus an advanced display
A full range of manual exposure adjustments give you full creative control of your images. You can also switch out lenses to add more creative shooting options or get even closer to the action. Plus, this cam's advanced 3" display is a step up from a regular LCD. Its response time is much faster, and images remain crisp and clean, even when viewed from an angle or in bright sunlight.
From the review It's a digital camera, it's a digital SLR, it's...the Samsung NX10 hybrid digital cameraa
"I loved the quality of the photos that I took with this camera. They turned out stunning and took relatively little effort. The more advanced controls were easy to understand, so experimenting was actually very fun.. If you're tired of your point-and-shoot and ready to take your photography to the next level, then the Samsung NX10 hybrid digital camera is a good place to start."
Kristen, Crutchfield A/V Writer
What's in the Box:
- Digital camera body with body cap installed
- Samsung 18-55mm OIS zoom lens (with lens caps installed on each end)
- Lens hood
- BP1310 Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (7.4V/1300mAh)
- BC1310 battery charger (8.4V/450mAh)
- 59" AC cord
- 47" USB cable (with a USB type-A connector on one end and a proprietary connector on other end)
- Neck strap
- Samsung Software CD-ROM Ver.01
- Quick Start Manual (English)
- Quick Start Manual (Spanish)
- "Dear Valued Customer" note
- Samsung International Warranty Certificate
- 14.6-megapixel effective recording
- APS-C-size CMOS image sensor (23.4 x 15.6 mm)
- Samsung 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 OIS zoom lens (35mm equivalent focal length: 27.7-84.7mm)
- 3X optical zoom (approximate)
- built-in optical image stabilization
- 3" AMOLED (Active-Matrix Organic Light-Emitting Diode) screen provides bright image playback, a wide viewing angle, and low power consumption
- electronic viewfinder with diopter adjustment and 100% field of view
- built-in anti-dust technology to keep image sensor clean for spotless photos
- built-in auto pop-up flash with flash compensation settings
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- compatible with Samsung NX mount lenses
Exposure Modes and Controls:
- continuous shooting mode: 3 frames per second (up to 10 JPEG images, or 3 RAW images)
- shutter speed range: 30-1/4,000 seconds, bulb (limit time: 8 minutes)
- sensitivity or ISO (film speed equivalent) range: 100-3200
- program auto, shutter-priority, aperture-priority, manual, and smart auto exposure modes
File Formats and Storage:
- still image storage modes: JPEG, RAW, and RAW+JPEG (Super Fine, Fine, or Normal)
- top JPEG resolution (pixels): 4,592 x 3,056 (3:2), 4,592 x 2,584 (16:9)
- HD movie recording: up to 1,280 x 720 resolution at 30 frames per second
- movie file formats: MP4 (Video: H.264, Mono sound: AAC)
- uses optional SD and SDHC memory cards
Connections and Dimensions:
- high-speed USB interface
- mini HDMI output for sharing images on a compatible HDTV (cable not included)
- video output (NTSC/PAL selectable)
- 5-1/16"W x 3-9/16"H x 4-9/16"D (with lens)
- weight (without battery): 19.44 oz.
- 18-55mm image stabilizing Samsung lens
- rechargeable BP1310 lithium ion battery
- battery charger
- neck strap
- USB cable
- software CD-ROM
Samsung NX10 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size||3"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||27.7-84.7mm|
|Sensor Size||23.4 x 15.6mm CMOS|
|Highest Resolution||4592 x 3056|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||Not Given|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Samsung NX10 digital camera gives you all of the convenience of a lightweight point-and-shoot camera with the performance and quality of a DSLR. The NX10 comes with an 18-55mm lens, with optional 30mm and 50-200mm lenses available. Because it was designed without a mirror box, the NX10 is compact and lightweight. You can shoot up to 14MP still images, as well as HD video.
3" AMOLED Monitor: The NX10 features a 3.0" color AMOLED (Active-Matrix Organic Light-Emitting Diode) display with VGA resolution and 614,000 pixels. The AMOLED monitor gives you a clear view of your subject and recorded images, even in bright sunlight. The display has a 1000:1 dynamic contrast ratio, and a response rate that is 3000 times faster than an LCD. The monitor has a field of view of approximately 100%.
Electronic Viewfinder (EVF): In addition to the 3.0" AMOLED monitor, the NX10 has an electronic viewfinder with VGA resolution and 921,000 dots. The viewfinder has a field of view of approximately 100%. A diopter adjustment lets you focus the image on the viewfinder to your eyesight. The camera has a proximity sensor that automatically switches the monitor image to the viewfinder as you bring the camera up to your face.
Recording Media: The Samsung NX10 digital camera can record still images and video onto SD Memory Cards (up to 4 GB) or SDHC Memory Cards (up to 8 GB). The camera has no internal built-in memory.
Image Sensor: The Samsung NX10 digital camera is equipped with a 23.4 x 15.6mm APS-C-sized CMOS image sensor with a total pixel count of approximately 15.1 mega-pixels and an effective pixel count of approximately 14.6 mega-pixels for high-quality still images and video. The built-in Image Sensor Cleaning System removes harmful dust particles from the sensor by vibrating 60,000 times per second. The sensor cleaning procedure can be performed when selected in the menu, or set to automatically operate whenever the camera is powered on.
Image Recording Format: The digital camera records still images in JPEG and RAW formats. Uncompressed RAW images are saved without loss of data, with the photo size set to 14M (4592 x 3056). The Samsung RAW Converter software, found on the supplied CD-ROM, is required to save the raw data as a JPEG or TIFF image file. High-definition and standard-definition movie clips with audio (monaural) are recorded in H.264 (MPEG4.AVC).
Image Size: The camera can record JPEG still images in a 3:2 or 16:9 aspect ratio with three compression ratio settings (Super Fine, Fine, and Normal). RAW format photos are captured alone, or along with a JPEG image in one of the above compression ratio settings. Movie clips can be recorded in standard-definition with a 4:3 aspect ratio, or high-definition with a 16:9 aspect ratio at 30 frames per second. You can choose between HQ and Normal image quality.
Image capacity (1 GB SD Memory Card):
|Size||SuperFine||Fine||Normal||RAW||RAW + SuperFine||RAW + Fine||RAW + Normal|
4592 x 3056
3872 x 2592
3008 x 2000
1920 x 1280
4592 x 2584
3872 x 2176
3008 x 1688
1920 x 1080
|Movie Size Options|
|1280 x 720
|15 min||22 min|
|640 x 480
|44 min||66 min|
|320 x 480
|145 min||210 min|
OIS (Optical Image Stabilization): Optical image stabilization reduces the effect of camera shake and help you get a well-exposed image in dim conditions. OIS can only be used when a lens with the OIS function is attached to the camera. (The supplied 18-55mm lens has a switch for activating and deactivating OIS.) You can choose between two modes of Optical Image Stabilization: Mode 1--applied only when shutter release is pressed fully or halfway, Mode 2--applied at all times.
Focus Area: You can select your preferred auto focus area:
- Selection AF: focuses on the area you select
- Multi AF: focuses on one or more of the 15 AF points (normal) or 35 AF points (closeup)
- Face Detection AF: focuses on up to 10 faces to set the focus
- Self-Portrait AF: the focal distance is fixed to make a close-up shot possible
Focus Lock: Use the camera's focus lock function to focus on a subject not positioned in the center of the picture.
Drive Modes: The camera offers several drive modes to suit your shooting needs:
- Single: Takes a single photo.
- Continuous: Images will be taken continuously, at about 3 shots per second, until the shutter button is released or the memory is full.
- Burst: Camera rapidly takes up to a maximum of 30 photos with a single press of the shutter button. The image size and quality is fixed to 1472 x 976.
- Timer: The timer function takes a picture after a preset delay. You can choose between 2 and 30 seconds in 1 second increments.
- Auto Exposure Bracketing: Takes three pictures in a series in different exposures: normal exposure, under exposure, and over exposure.
- White Balance Bracketing: Takes three pictures in a series with different white balance settings. You can set the interval of the white balance value from six choices.
- Picture Wizard Bracketing: Takes three pictures in a series with three different Picture Wizard selections, chosen from the following: Standard, Vivid, Portrait, Landscape, Forest, Retro, Cool, Calm, or Classic.
Recording Mode: The Samsung NX10 digital camera offers various recording modes to match your shooting preference. Using the top-mounted Mode Dial, you can choose from the following:
- Smart Auto Mode: The camera automatically chooses the appropriate camera settings based on a detected type of scene. It will automatically select one of 16 scene modes which best suits the environment you are shooting in.
- Program Mode: Select this mode to manually configure all functions of the camera, except the aperture value and shutter speed. The Program Shift function allows you to change the shutter speed and aperture settings while maintaining the same brightness.
- A-S-M: You can choose Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, or Manual Exposure.
- Night-Portrait-Landscape: The camera automatically sets the optimum exposure value for taking photos in a dark environment, or for taking portrait or landscape shots.
- Scene Modes: The NX10's various scenes modes automatically
configures the camera's optimal settings for a variety of shooting
- Beauty Shot: takes a photo of a person with two options to hide facial imperfections: Face Tone (levels 1-3) and Face Retouch (levels 1-3)
- Children: to take a picture of fast moving objects
- Close Up: close-up shooting for small objects such as plants and insects
- Text: use this mode to shoot a document
- Sunset: for taking pictures of sunsets
- Dawn: daybreak scenes
- Backlight: portrait without shadows caused by backlight
- Fireworks: firework scenes
- Beach&Snow: for ocean, lake, beach, and snow scenes
- Movie Mode: A movie clip can be recorded (with or without sound) in High Definition or Standard Definition. You can select Program or Aperture Priority, and the type of fader you wish to use.
Exposure Compensation: You can adjust the exposure lighter or darker compared to the camera's auto-exposure setting. You can adjust the exposure value from +3.0EV to -3.0EV in steps of 1/3EV or 1/2 EV.
Metering Mode: The camera gives you three options for measuring the brightness of the scene:
- Multi: Exposure will be calculated based on an average of the available light in the image area. This is suitable for general use.
- Spot: Only the rectangular area in the center of the LCD monitor will be metered for light. This is suitable when the subject in the center is exposed correctly, regardless of the back lighting.
- Center Weighted: Exposure will be calculated based on an average of the available light in the image area. However, the calculation will be biased towards the center of the image area. This is suitable for taking a picture of small objects like a flower or insects.
Pop-up Flash: The Samsung NX10 features a built-in pop-up flash, which can be opened manually with the flash button. You can adjust the amount of flash (+/-2.0EV, 1/2 EV steps) to avoid overexposure or underexposure. You can choose from the following flash modes:
- Smart Flash: The amount of flash light is adjusted automatically according to the exposure.
- Auto Flash: The flash operates automatically when the scene is dark.
- Auto w/Red-Eye Reduction: The flash work automatically with a pre-flash to reduce the red-eye effect.
- Fill In Flash: The flash fires regardless of the available light. The intensity of the flash will be automatically controlled.
- Fill In w/Red-Eye Reduction: The flash fires regardless of the available light with a pre-flash to reduce the red-eye effect.
- 1st Curtain: The flash fires immediately after the opening of the shutter to express clearly the front part of the action and blur later action.
- 2nd Curtain: The flash fires just before the closing of the shutter to express clearly the latter part of the action and blur the early action.
- Flash Off: The flash does not fire.
External Flash: The NX has a top-mounted hot shoe for attaching an external flash unit, such as the Samsung SEF 20A or SEF 42A. The A-TTL Auto Flash mode can be used when an external flash is attached.
White Balance: The white balance control allows you to adjust the colors to appear more natural. The camera has ten white balance modes:
- Auto WB: The camera automatically selects the appropriate white balance settings, depending on the prevailing lighting conditions.
- Daylight: For taking images outside on a clear day
- Cloudy: For taking images under a cloudy and overcast sky, or in shadows.
- Fluorescent White: Daylight, fluorescent lamp, suitable especially for the white fluorescent light (color temp 4200K)
- Fluorescent NW: Daylight, fluorescent lamp, suitable especially for daylight-like fluorescent light (color temp 5000K)
- Tungsten: For shooting under halogen lamp and incandescent bulbs
- Flash WB: suitable when using the built-in flash
- Custom Set: allows you to set the white balance by measuring the light source directly
- Color Temp: allows you to set the white balance by adjusting the color temperature (between 2000K--candle light and 10000K--clear sky)
ISO Sensitivity: The speed or specific light-sensitivity of a camera is rated by ISO numbers. A higher ISO setting allows for faster shutter speed, so you can take photos indoors or in low light without the need for a flash. You can select Auto ISO sensitivity or select the ISO value manually in 1 EV steps. In addition to Auto ISO, you can choose from the following ISO settings: 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, and 3200.
Picture Wizard: You can express various emotional moods in your pictures by selecting one of the Picture Wizard options: Standard, Vivid, Portrait, Landscape, Forest, Retro, Cool, Calm, or Classic. Once you have selected an option, you can further fine tune the color, saturation, sharpness, and contrast.
Histogram: A histogram is a graph that displays how light is distributed in your photo. If the histogram has a high peak on the left, your photos are dark. A peak on the right of the graph means that your photos are bright. The height of the peaks is related to color information. The more of a particular color, the taller the peak.
Quick View: If you enable the Quick View function before capturing an image, you can view the image you just captured on the camera's LCD monitor for the set duration of 1, 3, or 5 seconds, Hold or Off.
Image Edit: When playing back photos, you can perform the following edits:
- Red-eye Fix: If your subject has red eyes, you can remove the effect from your photos.
- Backlight: You can brighten the subjects that are darkened by strong backlighting.
- Photo Style Selector: You can add various effects to a recorded image without using image editing software. You can choose from Normal, Soft, Vivid, Forest, Autumn, Misty, Gloomy, and Classic.
- Resize: You can change the picture resolution to a smaller size for e-mailing or loading to a website.
- Rotate: The orientation of the image can be changed by rotating it Left 90, Right 90, 180, Horizontal, or Vertical
- Face Retouch: You can clear up facial imperfections by retouching the face in one of three levels.
Smart Album: Recorded content can be categorized by type (picture, video, or voice), date (day), or date (week), allowing you to easily retrieve them.
Thumbnail Playback: You can view multiple pictures (3, 9, or 20) on the LCD monitor at once.
Slide Show: Images can be displayed continuously at preset intervals with various slide-show transition effects on the camera's LCD monitor. The camera offer pre-recorded background music to play along with your still image slide show. Intervals between photos can be set to 1, 3, 5, or 10 seconds. You can select all photos to display in the slide show, or only photos from a specific date, or individually selected images.
Image Zoom: A single image can be zoomed in up to 7.2x (based on image size) for a closer look. Once the image is zoomed in, you can pan through different areas of the image.
Movie Playback: You can playback a movie clip on the camera's LCD monitor. The camera offers basic playback functions such as Play/Pause, Fast Rewind, Fast Forward, and Volume Control.
Movie Clip Capture: You can capture still images from a recorded movie clip. The captured movie clip file will be saved as the same size as the original movie clip (1280 x 720, 640 x 480, or 320 x 240).
Deleting Images: Images can be deleted one at a time, in a pre-selected group, or all at once.
Protecting Images: This is used to protect specific shots from being accidentally erased.
Exif Print (Exif 2.21): The NX10 conforms to "Exif Print," a worldwide standard. Vital camera settings (such as: exposure mode, white balance, exposure time) and scene data are recorded to the image file when it is captured. Printers compatible with "Exif Print" are able to use this information to produce high quality photographs, exactly the way they were intended at the time of capture. This intelligent communication process also allows the printer to correct for poor lighting or mistakes, resulting in photos that can be even better than the originals.
DPOF (1.1) Transfer Order: You can use the camera to specify settings for images that you wish to download to a computer. The settings used on the camera comply with the Digital Print Order Format (DPOF) standards.
PictBridge (1.0) Printing Capability: Using the supplied USB cable, you can connect this camera directly to a PictBridge compliant printer. PictBridge is a new standard that allows you to connect a PictBridge compliant camera directly to a PictBridge compliant printer and make prints, regardless of brand.
AV/USB Proprietary Output: The Samsung NX10 features a single proprietary port which allows you to connect the camera to your computer via the supplied USB cable. The same output can be used to connect the camera to your TV via the optional "Type 2" A/V cable (CB08A12). The TV output can be set to NTSC or PAL.
HDMI: The NX10 has a mini-HDMI (Type C) output, which will allow you to connect the camera to an HDMI-equipped HDTV for viewing videos or photos in high definition. An optional mini-HDMI to HDMI cable is required. The HDMI output resolution can be set to 1080i, 720p, or 480p. The HDMI connection is HDMI-CEC (Ver 1.3) / Anynet+ compatible, allowing you to control some camera functions using the remote control from the HDMI-equipped TV.
Rechargeable Li-ion Battery: The Samsung NX10 is powered by the BP1310 Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery. It provides power for approximately 400 still image shots, 200 minutes of shooting time, or approximately 130 minutes of video recording. The battery is charged in approximately 2 hours 30 minutes using the supplied BC1310 battery charger.
Auto Power Off: This function switches the camera off after a set amount of time (of no operation) in order to prevent unnecessary battery drainage. The camera can be set to turn off after 0.5, 1, 3, 5, 10, or 30 minutes of no operation.
Samsung Software CD-ROM: The NX10 comes with the Samsung Software CD-ROM Ver.01, which contains the following programs:
- Samsung Master: for editing photos and videos.
- QuickTime Player 7.6: for viewing videos (H.264 (MPEG-4.AVC) files) on a PC.
- Samsung RAW Converter: for converting RAW files into the desired file format (JPEG, TIFF)
- Adobe Reader: for viewing the user's manual
Computer Requirements (Windows): To install software to your computer requires the following:
Pentium III, 500 MHz or better
|RAM||256 MB or more (512 MB and above recommended)|
|Hard Disk Capacity||250 MB or more (1 GB or more recommended)|
|Additional Requirements for QuickTime Player 7.6||
OS: Windows XP SP2 or Vista
CPU: 512 MB minimum, 1 GB or more recommended
RAM: Pentium 4, 3.2 GHz or higher/AMD Athlon 64FX, 2.6 GHz or higher
Other: nVIDIA Geforce 7600GT or higher (ATI X-1600 series or higher recommended)
Computer Requirements (Macintosh): When you connect your camera to a Macintosh computer, the computer will recognize the device automatically. You can transfer files directly from the camera to the computer without installing any programs. For QuickTime Player 7.6: the requirements are:
- Mac OS X version 10.4.10 or later
- 1.8 GHz Power Mac G5/1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo or higher
- Minimum 256 MB RAM (1 GB and above recommended)
- 64 MB or greater video card
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.