Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
14.6-megapixel digital camera with 20-50mm lens
Item # 305NX100 | MFR # EV-NX100ZBABUS
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Samsung NX100 by Crutchfield's Dave Bar
1 part SLR, 1 part point-and-shoot
From mountain treks to amusement parks, Samsung's NX100 is easy to tote along on your adventures so you can bring home plenty of memories to share. This hybrid cam packs the picture taking power of an SLR into a compact design that won't weigh you down on the trail or the monorail. Its secret? Samsung gave it the same size image sensor as most digital SLRs (translation: amazing picture quality), but they made the camera smaller and lighter to take up way less space in a backpack or handbag.
The NX100's brilliant 3" display is a real step up from a regular LCD response time is much faster and images remain crisp and easy to see, even when viewed from an angle or in bright sunlight. The intuitive controls will have you snapping sparkling-clear photos and shooting vibrant HD videos right away. Plus, a full manual mode gives you precise creative control for handling all kinds of shooting situations. You can swap out lenses, too, opening up a brand new world of photo and video possibilities.
This camera doesn't come with memory. Add an SD or SDHC card to save your pictures.
From the review Samsung's NX100 camera: beautiful images, compact design
"Overall, I like the NX100. Its large image sensor lets you take a lot of the same shots you can get with a DSLR, and the camera will get more and more interesting as Samsung makes more NX lenses. The NX100 is a worthy addition to the interchangeable-lens "hybrid" family of digital cameras."
Zak, Crutchfield Video Producer and A/V Writer
What's in the Box:
- Digital camera body with body cap installed
- Samsung 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED zoom lens (with lens caps installed on each end)
- BP1310 Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (7.4V/1300mAh/9.6Wh)
- BC1310 battery charger (8.4V/450mAh)
- 59" AC cord
- 47" USB cable (with a USB type-A connector on one end and a micro-USB connector on other end)
- Adjustable neck strap
- Samsung Software CD-ROM Ver.02
- User Manual (English)
- User Manual (Spanish)
- Samsung International Warranty Certificate
- Accessories sheet
- 14.6-megapixel effective recording
- APS-C-size CMOS image sensor (23.4 x 15.6 mm)
- Samsung 20-50mm f/3.5-5.6 zoom lens (35mm equivalent focal length: 30.8-77mm)
- 2.5X optical zoom
- 3" AMOLED (Active-Matrix Organic Light-Emitting Diode) screen provides bright image playback, a wide viewing angle, and low power consumption
- built-in dust reduction technology to keep image sensor clean for spotless photos
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- compatible with Samsung NX mount lenses
Exposure Modes and Controls:
- continuous shooting mode: 3 frames per second (up to 10 JPEG images, or 3 RAW images)
- shutter speed range: 30-1/4,000 seconds, bulb
- sensitivity or ISO (film speed equivalent) range: 100-6400
- program auto, shutter-priority, aperture-priority, manual, and smart auto exposure modes
File Formats and Storage:
- still image storage modes: JPEG, RAW, RAW + JPEG
- top JPEG resolution (pixels): 4,592 x 3,056 (3:2), 4,592 x 2,584 (16:9)
- HD movie recording up to 720p resolution
- movie file formats: MP4 (Video: H.264, Mono sound: AAC)
- uses optional SD or SDHC memory cards
Connections and Dimensions:
- high-speed USB interface
- micro HDMI output for sharing images on a compatible HDTV (cable not included)
- video output (NTSC/PAL selectable)
- hot shoe connection for adding a Samsung flash
- 5-1/8"W x 2-7/8"H x 1-7/8"D (without lens)
- weight (with lens): 14.14 oz.
- 20-50mm Samsung lens
- rechargeable BP1310 lithium ion battery
- battery charger
- neck strap
- USB cable
- software CD-ROM
Samsung NX100 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size||3"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||30.8-77mm|
|Sensor Size||23.4 x 15.6mm CMOS|
|Highest Resolution||4592 x 3056|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||Not Given|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Samsung NX100 digital camera gives you all of the convenience of a lightweight point-and-shoot camera with the performance and quality of a DSLR. The NX100 is equipped with the Samsung NX mount. It comes with a 20-50mm lens, with optional lenses available (20mm, 30mm, 18-55mm, and 50-200mm). Because it was designed without a mirror box, the NX100 is compact and lightweight. You can shoot up to 14MP still images, as well as HD video.
3" AMOLED Monitor: The NX100 features a 3.0" color AMOLED (Active-Matrix Organic Light-Emitting Diode) display with VGA resolution and 614,000 dots. The AMOLED monitor gives you a clear view of your subject and recorded images, even in bright sunlight. The display has a 1000:1 dynamic contrast ratio, and a response rate that is 3000 times faster than an LCD. The monitor has a field of view of approximately 100%.
Optional Electronic Viewfinder (EVF): For photographers who prefer to frame their photos through a viewfinder instead of an LCD monitor, Samsung's optional EVF10 electronic viewfinder attaches to the camera's Smart Shoe. It offers a 98% field of view.
Recording Media: The Samsung NX100 digital camera can record still images and video onto SD Memory Cards (up to 4 GB) or SDHC Memory Cards (up to 32 GB). The camera has no built-in memory.
Image Sensor: The Samsung NX100 digital camera is equipped with a 23.4 x 15.6mm APS-C-sized CMOS image sensor with a total pixel count of approximately 15.1 mega-pixels and an effective pixel count of approximately 14.6 mega-pixels for high-quality still images and video. The built-in Image Sensor Cleaning System removes harmful dust particles from the sensor by vibrating 60,000 times per second. The sensor cleaning procedure can be performed when selected in the menu, or set to automatically operate whenever the camera is powered on.
Image Recording Format: The digital camera records still images in JPEG and RAW formats. Uncompressed RAW images are saved without loss of data, with the photo size set to 14M (4592 x 3056). The Samsung RAW Converter software, found on the supplied CD-ROM, is required to save the raw data as a JPEG or TIFF image file. High-definition and standard-definition movie clips with AAC audio (monaural) are recorded in H.264 (MPEG4.AVC).
Image Size: The camera can record JPEG still images in a 3:2, 16:9, or 1:1 aspect ratio with three compression ratio settings (Super Fine, Fine, and Normal). RAW format photos are captured alone, or along with a JPEG image in one of the above compression ratio settings. Movie clips can be recorded in standard-definition with a 4:3 aspect ratio, or high-definition with a 16:9 aspect ratio at 30 frames per second. You can choose between HQ and Normal image quality.
Image capacity (1 GB SD Memory Card):
4592 x 3056
3872 x 2592
3008 x 2000
1920 x 1280
1472 x 976
4592 x 2584
3872 x 2176
3008 x 1688
1920 x 1080
3056 x 3056
2592 x 2592
2000 x 2000
1280 x 1280
|Movie Size Options|
|1280 x 720
|15 min||22 min|
|640 x 480
|44 min||66 min|
|320 x 480
|145 min||210 min|
OIS (Optical Image Stabilization): Optical image stabilization reduces the effect of camera shake and help you get a well-exposed image in dim conditions. OIS can only be used when a lens with the OIS function is attached to the camera. (The supplied 20-50mm lens is not OIS-compatible.)
Auto Focus Area: You can select your preferred auto focus area:
- Selection AF: focuses on the area you select
- Multi AF: focuses on one or more of the 15 AF points (normal) or 35 AF points (closeup)
- Face Detection AF: focuses on up to 10 faces to set the focus
- Self-Portrait AF: the focal distance is fixed to make a close-up shot possible
Focus Lock: Use the camera's focus lock function to focus on a subject not positioned in the center of the picture.
Drive Modes: The camera offers several drive modes to suit your shooting needs:
- Single: Takes a single photo.
- Continuous: Images will be taken continuously, at about 3 shots per second, until the shutter button is released or the memory is full.
- Burst: Camera rapidly takes multiple photos with a single press of the shutter button. You can capture up to 10 shots per second (3 seconds), 15 per second (2 seconds), or 30 shots per second (1 second). The image size and quality is fixed to 1472 x 976.
- Timer: The timer function takes a picture after a preset delay. You can choose between 2 and 30 seconds in 1 second increments.
- Auto Exposure Bracketing: Takes three pictures in a series in different exposures: normal exposure, under exposure, and over exposure.
- White Balance Bracketing: Takes three pictures in a series with different white balance settings. You can set the interval of the white balance value from six choices.
- Picture Wizard Bracketing: Takes three pictures in a series with three different Picture Wizard selections, chosen from the following: Standard, Vivid, Portrait, Landscape, Forest, Retro, Cool, Calm, or Classic.
Recording Mode: The Samsung NX100 digital camera offers various recording modes to match your shooting preference. Using the top-mounted Mode Dial, you can choose from the following:
- Smart Auto Mode: The camera automatically chooses the appropriate camera settings based on a detected type of scene. It will automatically select one of 16 scene modes which best suits the environment you are shooting in.
- Program Mode: Select this mode to manually configure all functions of the camera, except the aperture value and shutter speed. The Program Shift function allows you to change the shutter speed and aperture settings while maintaining the same brightness.
- A-S-M: You can choose Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, or Manual Exposure.
- Lens Priority: You can select an appropriate scene (i-Scene) to the attached lens by rotating the focus ring. Available scenes for the included 20-50mm lens include Beauty Shot, Portrait, Children, Backlight, Landscape, Sunset, Dawn, Beach & Snow, and Night. Available scenes may differ with other lenses.
- Scene Modes: The NX100's various scenes modes automatically
configures the camera's optimal settings for a variety of shooting
- Sound Picture: records sound up to 10 seconds before and after taking the photo.
- Beauty Shot: takes a photo of a person with two options to hide facial imperfections: Face Tone (levels 1-3) and Face Retouch (levels 1-3)
- Portrait: automatically detect and focus on human faces for clear, soft portraits
- Children: captures children's clothing and the background more vividly to make the subject appear more noticeable
- Sports: to take a picture of fast moving objects
- Backlight: capture subjects without shadows caused by backlight
- Close Up: close-up shooting for small objects such as plants and insects
- Text: use this mode to shoot a document
- Landscape: for still-life scenes and landscapes
- Sunset: for taking pictures of sunsets with natural-looking reds and yellows
- Dawn: for taking daybreak scenes
- Beach&Snow: for ocean, lake, beach, and snow scenes that are typically underexposed due to reflected light
- Night: capture scenes at night or in low lighting
- Fireworks: capture fireworks at night
- Movie Mode: A movie clip can be recorded (with or without sound) in High Definition (1280 x 720) or Standard Definition (640 x 480, 320 x 240). You can select Program or Aperture Priority, and the type of fader you wish to use. Video files of up to 25 minutes in length can be captured.
Exposure Compensation: You can adjust the exposure lighter or darker compared to the camera's auto-exposure setting. You can adjust the exposure value from +3.0EV to -3.0EV in steps of 1/3EV.
Metering Mode: The camera gives you three options for measuring the brightness of the scene:
- Multi: Exposure will be calculated based on an average of the available light in the image area. This is suitable for general use.
- Spot: Only the rectangular area in the center of the LCD monitor will be metered for light. This is suitable when the subject in the center is exposed correctly, regardless of the back lighting.
- Center Weighted: Exposure will be calculated based on an average of the available light in the image area. However, the calculation will be biased towards the center of the image area. This is suitable for taking a picture of small objects like a flower or insects.
External Flash: The Samsung NX100 does not have a built-in flash. Using the Smart Shoe on the top of the camera, you can attach an optional flash unit, such as the Samsung SEF42A, SEF20A, or SEF15A. You can adjust the amount of flash (+/-2.0EV, 1/2 EV steps) to avoid overexposure or underexposure. You can choose from the following flash modes:
- Smart Flash: The amount of flash light is adjusted automatically according to the exposure.
- Fill In Flash: The flash fires regardless of the available light. The intensity of the flash will be automatically controlled.
- Fill In w/Red-Eye Reduction: The flash fires regardless of the available light with a pre-flash to reduce the red-eye effect.
- 1st Curtain: The flash fires immediately after the opening of the shutter to express clearly the front part of the action and blur later action.
- 2nd Curtain: The flash fires just before the closing of the shutter to express clearly the latter part of the action and blur the early action.
White Balance: The white balance control allows you to adjust the colors to appear more natural. The camera has ten white balance modes:
- Auto WB: The camera automatically selects the appropriate white balance settings, depending on the prevailing lighting conditions.
- Daylight: For taking images outside on a clear day
- Cloudy: For taking images under a cloudy and overcast sky, or in shadows.
- Fluorescent White: Daylight, fluorescent lamp, suitable especially for the white fluorescent light (color temp 4200K)
- Fluorescent NW: Daylight, fluorescent lamp, suitable especially for white fluorescent light of very white hues (color temp 5000K)
- Fluorescent Daylight: Daylight, fluorescent lamp, suitable especially for white fluorescent light of slightly bluish hue (color temp 6500K)
- Tungsten: For shooting under halogen lamp and incandescent bulbs
- Flash WB: suitable when using the built-in flash
- Custom Set: allows you to set the white balance by measuring the light source directly
- Color Temp: allows you to set the white balance by adjusting the color temperature (between 2000K--candle light and 10000K--clear sky)
ISO Sensitivity: The speed or specific light-sensitivity of a camera is rated by ISO numbers. A higher ISO setting allows for faster shutter speed, so you can take photos indoors or in low light without the need for a flash. You can select Auto ISO sensitivity or select the ISO value manually in 1 EV or 1/3 EV steps. In addition to Auto ISO, you can choose from the following ISO settings: 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, and 3200. With ISO expansion, you can select higher ISO values up to ISO 6400.
Picture Wizard: You can express various emotional moods in your pictures by selecting one of the Picture Wizard options: Standard, Vivid, Portrait, Landscape, Forest, Retro, Cool, Calm, or Classic. Once you have selected an option, you can further fine tune the color, saturation, sharpness, and contrast.
Histogram: A histogram is a graph that displays how light is distributed in your photo. If the histogram has a high peak on the left, your photos are dark. A peak on the right of the graph means that your photos are bright. The height of the peaks is related to color information. The more of a particular color, the taller the peak.
Optional GPS: With the optional GPS10 GPS module attached to the camera's Smart Shoe, location information can be associated with the photos you take. Photos with location information can be used for GeoTagging, and linking to Google Maps (requires supplied Intelli-Studio software).
Quick View: If you enable the Quick View function before capturing an image, you can view the image you just captured on the camera's LCD monitor for the set duration of 1, 3, or 5 seconds, Hold or Off.
Image Edit: When playing back photos, you can perform the following edits:
- Red-eye Fix: If your subject has red eyes, you can remove the effect from your photos.
- Backlight: You can brighten the subjects that are darkened by strong backlighting.
- Photo Style Selector: You can add various effects to a recorded image without using image editing software. You can choose from Soft, Vivid, Forest, Autumn, Misty, Gloomy, and Classic.
- Resize: You can change the picture resolution to a smaller size for e-mailing or loading to a website. Available resolutions depend upon the size of the selected photo.
- Rotate: The orientation of the image can be changed by rotating it Left 90, Right 90, 180, Horizontal, or Vertical.
- Face Retouch: You can clear up facial imperfections by retouching the face in one of three levels.
- Smart Filter: You can apply various filter effects to photos to create unique images. Choices include: Vignetting, Miniature, Fish-eye, Sketch, Defog, Halftone Dots, and Soft Focus.
Smart Album: Recorded content can be categorized by type (picture, video, or photo with voice memo), date, week, or location (requires GPS accessory), allowing you to easily retrieve them.
Thumbnail Playback: You can view multiple pictures (3, 9, or 20) on the LCD monitor at once.
Slide Show: Images can be displayed continuously at preset intervals with various slide-show transition effects on the camera's LCD monitor. The camera offer pre-recorded background music to play along with your still image slide show. Intervals between photos can be set to 1, 3, 5, or 10 seconds. You can select all photos to display in the slide show, or only photos from a specific date, or individually selected images.
Image Zoom: A single image can be zoomed in up to 7.2x (based on image size) for a closer look. Once the image is zoomed in, you can pan through different areas of the image.
Movie Playback: You can playback a movie clip on the camera's LCD monitor. The camera offers basic playback functions such as Play/Pause, Fast Rewind, Fast Forward, and Volume Control.
Movie Clip Capture: You can capture still images from a recorded movie clip. The captured movie clip file will be saved as the same size as the original movie clip (1280 x 720, 640 x 480, or 320 x 240).
Deleting Images: Images can be deleted one at a time, in a pre-selected group, or all at once.
Protecting Images: This is used to protect specific shots from being accidentally erased.
Exif Print (Exif 2.21): The NX100 conforms to "Exif Print," a worldwide standard. Vital camera settings (such as: exposure mode, white balance, exposure time) and scene data are recorded to the image file when it is captured. Printers compatible with "Exif Print" are able to use this information to produce high quality photographs, exactly the way they were intended at the time of capture. This intelligent communication process also allows the printer to correct for poor lighting or mistakes, resulting in photos that can be even better than the originals.
DPOF (1.1) Transfer Order: You can use the camera to specify settings for images that you wish to download to a computer. The settings used on the camera comply with the Digital Print Order Format (DPOF) standards.
PictBridge (1.0) Printing Capability: Using the supplied USB cable, you can connect this camera directly to a PictBridge compliant printer. PictBridge is a new standard that allows you to connect a PictBridge compliant camera directly to a PictBridge compliant printer and make prints, regardless of brand.
AV/USB Output: The Samsung NX100 features a single micro-USB port which allows you to connect the camera to your computer via the supplied USB cable. The same output can be used to connect the camera to your TV via the optional A/V cable (CB08A12). The TV output can be set to NTSC or PAL.
HDMI: The NX100 has a micro-HDMI (Type D) output, which will allow you to connect the camera to an HDMI-equipped HDTV for viewing videos or photos in high definition. An optional micro-HDMI to HDMI cable is required. The HDMI output resolution can be set to 1080i, 720p, or 480p. The HDMI connection is HDMI-CEC (Ver 1.3) / Anynet+ compatible, allowing you to control some camera functions using the remote control from the HDMI-equipped TV.
Rechargeable Li-ion Battery: The Samsung NX100 is powered by the BP1310 Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery. It provides power for approximately 420 still image shots, 210 minutes of shooting time, or approximately 130 minutes of video recording. The battery is charged in approximately 2 hours 30 minutes using the supplied BC1310 battery charger.
Auto Power Off: This function switches the camera off after a set amount of time (of no operation) in order to prevent unnecessary battery drainage. The camera can be set to turn off after 0.5, 1, 3, 5, 10, or 30 minutes of no operation.
Samsung Software CD-ROM: The NX100 comes with the Samsung Software CD-ROM Ver.02, which contains the following programs:
- Samsung Intelli-Studio: for editing photos and videos.
- Samsung RAW Converter: for converting RAW files into the desired file format (JPEG, TIFF)
- User Manual: Digital copy of the User Manual in .pdf format
- Adobe Reader: for viewing the user's manual
Computer Requirements: To install software to your computer requires the following:
- Samsung Intelli-Studio (Windows Only):
Windows XP SP2
Pentium 4, 3.2 GHz or higher
|RAM||512 MB or more (1 GB or more recommended)|
|Hard Disk Capacity||250 MB or more (1 GB or more recommended)|
USB 2.0 port, Microsoft DirectX 9.0c or later
Samsung RAW Converter:
|Mac OS X v10.4 / v10.5 / v10.6|
Intel Pentium or AMD Athlon processor based PC or compatible computer. (Pentium4, Athlon XP or later recommended)
|Intel processor-based or compatible computer (Core 2 Quad or later recommended) / Power PC|
|RAM||1 GB or more recommended||1 GB or more recommended|
|Hard Disk Capacity||Reserve at least 100 MB of space for image storage. (One image may use more than 10 MB of disk space)|
XGA (1024 x 768), Full Color (24-bit or higher)
Keyboard, Mouse, or equivalent devices
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.